Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,144
    Options

Hannah is adorable and I wish you luck with your new fur baby. I think you won the lottery when you didn't get the pups. She needed a home more because she is a "mom".

Illinoislady, glad you were able to get your hair appointment and I hear you about not wanting to say it wasn't what you wanted to spare someone else. Your kindness will be returned 10 fold. Hope CT is clear.

Puffin, words fail me at this time and I know that 2 who post on My husband, my life, etc have had brain mets with radiation experience and are always willing to help others. That forum is a very supportive group as well. I am hoping that the treatment will knock out your tumor. Please continue to post here since many of us have enjoyed your posts and want to keep you with us. ((Hugs)).

Cindyny, carb counting does control the number of calories you consume per day so no need to do more. Portion control is also part of this and I do adhere to my diet as best I can. Not being able to walk 10,000 plus steps per day has had an adverse effect on weight and not much I can do about that because my best now is about 4,000 steps per day. That maximizes my pain tolerance.

Saw pain management doctor today to get to root of persistent back pain. It flares whenever I do repetitive movements on my right side like rake, vacuum, iron, etc. and it is a beast when it flares. So I have an order for MRI's of thoracic and lumbar spine since focus has always just been thoracic. He wants to rule out a lumbar source and he also ordered a lumbar bending spine x-ray. He is very thorough and I have seen his PA for knee pain. They work as a team so I can see whomever is available without any tension. Need pre-approval for MRI so they will call me and I am going to try to schedule x-ray on same day so I do not have to run back and forth.

I think my root problem is skeletal failure and with osteopenia on last DEXA scan, I need to get it under control before I have osteoporosis. So exercise is critical and that's something I haven't been able to do for months while recovering. I am starting to feel more normal even if not back to where I started.

The lilies in the bouquet have been late to the party and one has finally opened and it is huge. The flower is wider than my hand's width even if I stretch out my thumb and pinkie. Another two are starting to open and I have 6 more after that to open. I love white lilies, they smell so divine.

It is sunny and headed up to 70 so I plan on getting out of these clothes into some garden clothes. DH has put up 3 of the privacy screens around the propane tanks and will get the 4th done today so that project will be finished. I want to rake this area and once we finish the new wire enclosures (deer screens) around the junipers, I want to mulch. This area takes about 25-30 bags of mulch total.

Sandy, Happy Passover. Hope you can find a restaurant to serve you Seder. How lucky to find that you can donate undies/tees that no longer fit and get credit for them. I wish we had a place where I could get a good bra fitting. I don't think my bras fit well but am at a loss as to where to go. Can you please send that woman with the magic hands, eastward? With 2 uneven sized boobs to complicate the matter, I need ones with slight padding so it is not so noticeable.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

Betrayal, I hear you on the two boob sizes. I have one large, one small, ugh. I only wear front closure Fruit of the Loom sports bras. I buy them on Amazon and they are cheap! I refuse to pad one side of a bra! I had an MRI on my spine years ago after an auto accident, slipped a disc, that was in 1982, I haven't had much trouble but on my whole body scans for cancer in 2022, I was told I had osteoarthritis in my spine….what older person doesn't have osteoarthritis? I feel sorry for you, I think back pain is one of the worst kinds of pain!

Glad my photos of our new fur baby showed up on the forum. I don't know what I did wrong when I tried last night. She is a sweetheart! The "name" thing is going round and round. Not sure what we will decide on once and for all but we love her whatever her name is! DD doesn't like Hannah, not that it matters, but right now the leading name is Kelce, after two "brothers" who play football, one for the Philadelphia Eagles. Jason Kelce has a beard and dh said, well, she does have a lot of hair on her face! LOL I like the name Hannah a lot, but I am not sure if she fits the name. She is sitting in her crate now, which I am happy about because the door is open and I want her to know it is a place she can go in and out of.

Sandy, would you believe my dog just came over to me, jumped up and then tried to sit on my laptop! Your cat and my dog are two of a kind! They want ALL the attention!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,281
    edited April 23
    Options

Aww MM — name her Nixie. My shortened explanation is that Nixie is the German way of the name Dixie or Trixie.

Came back as I also meant to say I'm going to go look at the sports bras you talked about. I have something of the same issue — although not too bad as I had a lumpectomy. The fact that it came mainly out of the inner mid aspect likely helped with the issue somewhat.

I have an added issue with the ICD as bra straps can get very bothersome after awhile. I bought a couple of bras with a larger strap but found that it was not a good fit at all. Planning on donating those. I'm always looking for something that will allow me a bit more comfort for getting through longer periods of time than I do now.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,160
    Options

MM, love the picture of your new pooch. She looks like a dog our neighbors had as I was growing up…60 years ago. Her name was Rusty. Sweet dog.

I spent some time cleaning out items from my garage today. I found a dozen cables from the cable company. Intended on throwing them out, but just happen to see a guy walking in my neighborhood from Xfinity. He took them off my hands.

Worst thing is old paint cans from the previous owners. Two are dried out and will go in the trash tomorrow; two are baking in the sun with the lids off, hoping to dry them out; one I can’t even open. In NY, Sherwin Williams takes the old cans. In FL they don’t, but they told me to just let them dry and toss in the garbage.

We’re leaving in 15 days. You’d think I’d have started this sooner, but it always seems right before we leave I want things ship shape. Although I do still have a chair, 3 seasons at least, that I’ll eventually reupholster still in the garage. HA! Well maybe.

It’s 82 going on 6 pm. Enough with this heat! If I’m out by 9:30 tomorrow morning I could get a walk in. I’m not counting on it though, because even if I get up before then, I’m not really “awake”- it truly takes me 45 minutes to function well. On that note, I’m going in for dinner.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,841
    Options

Hannah is so cute, MM!

• carolehalston
    Options

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,275
    edited April 24
    Options

64F here now, but after the rain tonight it's going down into the 30s, and here by the lake we won't even see 50 tomorrow. 5 years nearly to the day after a 4" snowfall that happened while we were doing a concert inside Wishbone North. Two fans helped us clear off the car and get our gear into the trunk, so we took them home rather than letting them take an Uber. (That was not the right night to have worn ballet flats to the gig). When it goes back up into the 60s & 70s, then the severe storms (and tornado risk) return. Good temps in Chicago in spring come at a cost.

(((Puffin))), in your pocket going forward for your treatments (Illimae over on the "Dinner" thread may have some pointers for you). Jackie, hope your CT comes up negative.

We're going to L Woods tonight for their Passover menu. No ceremony, but it's the closest thing to a Seder we can get.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 280
    Options

Puffin - you remain in my thoughts. I hope radiation can start relatively quickly and allow a better quality of life. I’m so impressed with your use of technology.

MM - Hannah is a keeper! Such a sweet dog. I love your GD’s characterization of you as ‘sneaky’. LOL

Jackie - glad you got in for the CT this morning and praying for good results. There is something about a haircut that makes me feel better all over.

Sandy - I hope that you can find a restaurant to have a Passover dinner. I did get a chuckle out of the kitty upending your underwear drawer. I imagine she had a great time!

I’ve been reading along but haven’t taken notes so my apologies if I miss anyone. I’m pretty tired tonight. We had a two hour meeting with the oncology team today. The doctors and nurses are wonderful. Chemo starts Thursday, 4/25 and will be every three weeks through August 7. I know some of you have had chemo so any tips or advice are welcome. I’ve been having an unusual amount of pain so the Onc suggested I reach out to the GYN Onc but the thought is that I’m doing too much physical activity too early in my recovery from a ‘huge’ surgery. Gulp! I should not have been walking 8000-9000 steps per day within the first week. I’ve cut back to 6000 steps/day but the Onc said to reduce it further and promised me I’d get back to my previous level of fitness in time. I took an oxycodone last night but woke up vomiting this morning - so I won’t do that again.

Wishing everyone a good week.

• cindyny
    Options

Harley, I know that feeling about “when can I get back” - for me it was back to the gym. My breast surgeon said I was the first patient asking that as I was going in to surgery. Slow down your pace, you’ll get back to it over time. 4/25 is around the corner, so we’ll be in your pocket for chemo. I opted not to have chemo, after MO suggested I get it, as a study was under way but results hadn’t come out yet. Fortunately for me the study confirmed I didn’t need it. (It’s been 6 years, so I that study is old by now, even its name is lost to me.) I’m no help on chemo but I’m sure some here are. So much is new and improved.

The full pink moon, sent to me from home - Albany, NY.

From here, Fort Myers, it didn’t seem as pink. Enjoy!

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 254
    Options

Darling dog, MM, whatever you name her.

Holding you close, Harley and Puffin.

Not much news here but I am.

Hugs.

Taco

• chisandy
    Options

In your pocket, Harley, for your chemo sessions—may they go easy on you.

We went to L Woods, dreading the inevitable 10-minute-circling-of-the-parking-lot. Amazingly, as we entered we saw a large Audi SUV pulling out. We were 5 minutes late, and the lobby was jammed—but they took us right away. The portions were obscenely huge: regular & vegetarian chopped liver, gefilte fish with incendiary horseradish, matzo ball soup, brisket, green beans, carrots, potato latkes and flourless chocolate torte. I ate about a third of each course and had them box up my dessert before it arrived. Food was delicious—and this, with a salad, will be tomorrow's dinner.

Getting a trim and root touchup tomorrow—first time since December. Not going to do the keratin straightening because I'm wary of the formaldehyde fumes that form when it's heated. Also don't want to trigger nausea.

• illinoislady
    Options

A seeker searched for years to know the secret of achievement and
    success in human life.  One night in a dream a sage appeared bearing
    the answer to the secret.
       The sage said simply:  "Stretch out your hand and reach what you can."
       "No, it can't be that simple," the seeker said.
       And the sage said softly, "You are right, it is something harder.  It is
    this:  Stretch out your hand and reach what you cannot."
       Now that's vision.

Joan Chittister
    Seeing with Our Souls

• illinoislady
    Options

Wow !! A long time since I had chemo. It was 2007. So I don't have much info for anyone. The biggest issue for me (and I never quite got the hang of it) was being able to anticipate taking something for nausea at the right time. So all my 6 mos. of chemo were rough — and I'm including the last 3 with chemo that wasn't even supposed to cause nausea.

I guess if I could say something positive, I would say that I would do it over again (just as it was) if need be. I do believe (even if full of dread) we are full of abilities to get through things that seem highly difficult or distasteful. I do wish I had more to share Harley and a bit more uplifting. You will have full pockets on the 25th. and anytime you have chemo.

I do hope in the ensuing years that newer solutions may have been found for any of the problem areas that show up during chemo.

You and Puffin will definitely have very full pockets.

Sandy, glad you found a place to go for your Passover and how great to find someone backing out just when you needed a parking stall. Food sounded so good. I got a bit worried about the horseradish since I do like it. Not sure I could handle the stuff that sets you on fire.

Cindy, your moon pictures were fantastic. Even your Fla. one seemed sufficiently pink to me. So glad someone takes these pictures since I don't know anyone who does and then I get to see the 'wonders' that turn up in the world now and then. Thanking you and whomever captured the New York view. They were very pretty.

Waving hi to Taco. Good to see you. Wishing everyone a good day. I do think we will be okay if a bit on the cool side. We had lots of late afternoon and early evening rains yesterday, but I don't see a cloud out now. Fingers crossed. As always — I don't mind the rain, but the dreary gray that comes before and sometimes after. Wishing you all warm sun and productive times.

• betrayal
    Options

Taco, loved the story about how your daughter picked pets names. Original to say the least and one of those stories you love to remember. My DD used to dress up one of our cats in doll clothes, put her in this small carriage and push her all over the house. Used to find the poor thing tripping on the doll's dress once DD tired of playing.

Finished deadheading the daffodils on the hill except for those still blooming. It was a challenge because trying to stand on an incline and maintain one's balance is tough but I managed. Of course there were spots where I literally was on all fours (not knees) to climb back up. Now I have the big bed down front so I will walk down but may have to have DH uber me back up the hill. Go to PT tomorrow to get leg exercises started prior to surgery. I want to be able to walk up and down the hill prior to surgery which will really strengthen thighs.

DH finished privacy panels around propane tanks today and next project is completing chicken wire enclosures around the junipers. They have really fleshed out since planting them in '20 or '21. The deer got to them the one winter and ate the center section so they looked funny but now that is not as evident. They were installed to provide privacy for our patio from our neighbors and the road. Even though we are on a hill we could see the road.

Trimmed the Japanese maple branches that were rubbing on bay window and will be breaking out the hummingbird feeder soon. The Japanese maple provides cover for it and the hummingbird likes to sit in it. The tree has really recovered from the direct tree hit it took about 20 years ago which reduced it then to 1/3 of its former size. Now you can only see where it was damaged during the winter. I was so afraid I was going to lose it then. Funny how I've gotten attached to some bushes/trees in the yard: the lilacs, the dogwoods, the Japanese maple, the evergreens I moved over 25 years ago and that now tower in the back yard, my 50 cent mystery azaleas (yes, end of season purchases from a plant store with no clue as to color) and my hydrangeas. Some lilacs and azaleas came from my DF so they hold special meaning.

The yard right now looks so nice with all the greenery and the hostas, Japanese irises sprouting, the Solomon Seal with buds, and the pansies in my window boxes. One pot of the pansies was deep discount because the checker told me they looked dead, if only she could see them now with their pert little faces.

Puffin, I hope each day gets a bit better for you.

Harley, as a fellow abdominal surgery recovery person, you are really overdoing it and this could result in a longer recovery time. Give yourself permission to relax so you can heal. What you see externally doesn't reflect what is occurring internally.

Sandy your meal sounds interesting and I hope the leftovers are as good as the original meal.

cindyny, lovely photos. My DB and DSIL have a home in Chipley, FL and their house is on the lake. She sends me photos she takes of sunset and she has had several photos make the local news. Like how you showed the comparisons between NY and FL.

Illinoislady, when do you get your CT results?

With 2 appointments for therapy tomorrow I won't be able to get to the garden again until the weekend. Friday I'll hit Costco with DS.

Regan had controlled contact with other dogs during her last class and showed no interest in them, did not bark nor aggress them. We have the Dalmatian Rescue picnic on Sunday so this will be the real test for her. Hopefully all goes well.

It is a lovely sunny day, nearly 70 degrees and with a good breeze so working outside was pleasant. We are expecting rain and lower temps overnight. Have a great day.

• cindyny
    Options

Sandy, my gf in Joliet called to say the Bears are getting a new stadium and asking me what happened on Y&R- our soap opera addiction. Apparently they cut in with the Bears news and she missed a lot of the show.

I woke about 8:20 and got my walk in early but was still drenched upon returning. I received a package in the mail from my insurance carrier. I tried to call the agency that oversees retirees from NYS and they take every Wednesday afternoon for staff enrichment. I think this happened to be earlier in the year. Seems I always call on Wednesday after 12. I’ll try again tomorrow.

We went over to Six Mile Slough for a walk. It was in the paper and on the news that it had been closed for updating general maintenance. Turns out that’s been postponed and they were open the whole time. We saw a lot of birds, Puffin would know what they are. Turtles, baby alligators, etc. When we came home I looked thru pictures and barely saw any wildlife, too much greenery. I’ll post a few here. It was a nice walk but we were sipping on ice water due to the heat.

That’s a turtle in the bottom left munching away on fresh greens. We did see a large turtle underwater, it attack and was eating a fish. Polarized sunglasses I could see it clear as day. In my photos I can’t see anything! It was a nice walk.

• cindyny
    Options

Apologies - photos look wonky.

• illinoislady
    Options

I love your pictures Cindy, wonky or not. All the birds look like what my friend call Big Birds that would come to the shallow (near the edge) water in the lake. Waiting I think for small fish or other edibles to come by. They were mainly white ones, I think. I'm sure they have a better name but that is all I've ever called them.

I'm hoping to get results from my test on May 2nd. in the afternoon, Betrayal. I am surprized that the CT was done so early. I also have an appt. on Friday afternoon. Maybe the Dr. I see then can give me the results but I'm not sure. I didn't recognize the name actually but his from Cancer Care soooo. It will be one day or the other anyway.

• harley07
    edited April 24
    Options

Betrayal - the amount of gardening you do is impressive. Your yard sounds beautiful.

Cindy - great pictures! Looks like a great hike in spite of the heat and humidity.

We went to a tulip farm today as they have hundreds of thousands of tulips in bloom. It’s a short season (about 3 weeks), but was a welcome relief from medical appointments. I tried posting a picture but they are not formatting correctly.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 938
    Options

I had a mammogram today, first one from a wheelchair since I was too shaky to stand up for it. It was normal so at least no new tumors there,

Physical therapy came this afternoon and adjusted some of my exercises.

My radiation will be Tuesday around 11 am. It will be comforting to have you all in my pocket. A retired nursing friend is going to take me and come home with me afterwards and stay overnight.

Cindy, loved the bird photos, saw a Tri colored heron in the group

• cindyny
    edited April 25
    Options

Harley, I love tulips! That must have been something to see. When Trader Joe’s has them I always try to grab a bunch for myself.

Tonight is garbage night, we put everything out tonight for tomorrow’s pick up. So I ran to Lowe’s for the product that hardens paint. It worked pretty quickly. So I got rid of 5 leftover gallons (none actually full) of paint. These were all leftovers from the previous owner.

Jackie, results post to my portal the same day that I get a CT. I’m hoping your results are given to you Friday and no waiting until next week, 5/2.

I had a call from the dentist, the bridge is in and they want to see if it is correct. But can’t get me in until 5/2. She said they’ll call if there are any cancellations. We leave 5/8 so I’m hoping I get the call for a canceled appointment. One can hope!!

Edit - I missed Betrayal's post somehow. The garden sounds beautiful. So glad you were able to be out in it with great weather to boot.

• chisandy
    Options

Cindy, your pink moon photos (north & south) are beautiful…but now that darn Nick Drake song is an earworm!

We had a late winter day today, blessedly minus any snow. We didn't get rain in the city last night. Second overnight freeze warning in a row. Warming up again tomorrow—but spring temps >70 around here always bring wind, storms or both. (And it's always cooler by the lake—so we may shiver here while it's balmy a mile or two west).

Got my hair cut & de-rooted today. My stylist brought one of his pooches in with him today (dachshund/chihuahua/Aussie shepherd mix).

Harley, your post came just after the FB post I got from my godson in Seattle—he, his wife and their toddler son went to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival in Mt. Vernon, WA yesterday. I'd bet that Holland, MI is awash in tulips this week.

Friends of mine who'd had chemo in the past decade report that nausea is no longer much of a problem, now that steroids and Zofran are routinely given. Drawing from my (recent & limited) experience with tirzepatide (Zepbound/Mounjaro), side effects I highly recommend Dramamine ginger chews. (Despite the brand name, they don't contain any medications, much less the eponymous dimenhydrinate itself, whatsoever). For a sugar-free option, there are Dr. John's ginger hard candies—but they're aggressively gingery (I generally have to spit them out halfway through). Also, I've had good results with that pink sushi ginger (gari), as well as ginger ale flattened by stirring with a fork. I find Vernor's more therapeutic than Canada Dry or Schweppes. If you don't mind the sugar, there's also Jamaican ginger beer.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

I had chemo in 2003. Horrible, looked like Hawiian punch, red, felt fine for a few hours after it was given then, the nausea would hit me like a brick. I would finally start to feel better mid-week 3 only to have the next round a few days later. Painful memories so that is all I can say. So glad that as with so many other things related to breast cancer, things have improved greatly in 21 years, especially in regard to less side effects.

Cindy, I loved the pictures!

Betrayal, you are amazing in the garden! I feel terrible admitting this, but I hate gardening! I used to like it when I was young, then DH took over, did everything his way, and he did a great job! He grew up on a farm so gardens were part of his passion.

I am not sure exactly what is going on with my dh mentally. It is almost as if reality has set in and rather than try to adjust to changes slowly, he just quits. I didn't realize until this week that he has given up completely on all things gardening. He used to sit on a stool and still work some of the gardens. Now I am suddenly left with quite a mess, a front garden, and several gardens in the backyard. One is a double tier "wall" the width of our property. The others are two smaller, manageable gardens around the patio. I asked the man who does our lawn if he could help me with some of the gardens and he said he would talk with me about it when he comes to mow. I need help with trimming some bushes, crape myrtle tree, weed killer, and maybe with mulching. I can't lift heavy things due to my replaced shoulders.

I guess I am suddenly realizing that I am in charge of all things in both our lives now. He does little around the house but he does his own wash. (he is 12 1/2 yrs. older than I am) It is a hard reality to deal with, but I will deal with it. Makes me sad because I miss feeling like our marriage was a partnership, each of us taking charge of certain responsibilities. Now it all falls on my shoulders. I thought this morning, for a moment, I must have been crazy taking on a dog in addition to everything else, as I have to do 100% of her care, but then I look at her and she snuggles next to me when I sit on the sofa, or is on my lap, and I know I needed her for my mental health. She fills a void in my life that I was missing. BTW, none of what I am saying is complaining about my dh. He is not a lazy man, he's a good man, but he is aging and he isn't doing it well. I do want to make it my mission to get him involved with other seniors somehow. He has no friends close by.

We have decided on a name for our dog. Her name is Kelce, after the football players. Don't ask, LOL!

Random question: Did someone on here say that Pooph really works on smells? Yep, cute sweet Kelce stinks!

Harley, thinking of you! I am sure your chemo treatments will go well. Wishing you the best today, but as others said, give yourself permission to slow down and heal!

Puffin, you too are in my thoughts!

illinois, hoping for good CT report!

• illinoislady
    Options

If I'm wise, I won't worry about growing old, for I know that
    there's a time for everything.  I won't worry about whether
    someone likes me or not, for I know that all things can't be.
    I won't worry about the things that I don't have, for not
    having them diminishes me not one bit.  I won't worry about
    the future and regret the past, for I know that only the present
    moment truly matters, for it's all that we can live.  If I'm wise,
    I will keep my eyes open and notice things that other people
    pass by or dismiss as trivial.  I will stop and smell the flowers
    and marvel at the snow and ice.  I will give of myself as much
    as I can, knowing that in giving comes our true growth.  I will
    be grateful for each new day of life that I receive, for I know
    that each day is a gift, and it's up to me
    to make something of that gift.

tom walsh

• carolehalston
    Options

MM, 12 1/2 years is a big age difference at some stages in life. It does seem that your dh might benefit from association with other seniors. I can imagine that it is challenging to have to take on full responsibility for upkeep of the house and yard. You definitely need gardening help. I can empathize because I am reaching the point where I could use some help, too.

I see some jobs out in our yard that I normally would tackle but Tuesday was only the 4 week mark on my explant/revision surgery. Maybe after two more weeks I will be in better physical condition to do those jobs. I feel fine and am becoming more energetic but I don't want to do damage to my body.

Betrayal, you sound like a wonderful gardener. I would like you as a next-door neighbor so I could enjoy your plants and trees. Gardening can be therapeutic like many passions and hobbies.

Cindy, I hope your dental woes are soon over.

Puffin and Harley, healing vibes for both of you.

It's another gorgeous day here. I love the lower humidity because everything looks clearer without the fuzziness that high humidity causes. The air feels so much more comfortable.

Happy Thursday.

• illinoislady
    Options

Good morning on this sunny morning here in my backyard. Cindy, I went back and looked and found a link into my SSM chart from our local hospital. I don't know how I missed it. Read it, but I don't really know what I read. I will see the Dr. tomorrow in the afternoon and find out then. Of course, I'm hoping for a positive report, but it will be whatever it is, and I'll have to adjust.

MM, of course, it is a bit overwhelming to suddenly realize you are the chief cook and bottle washer at your house. No matter how much, when there is a difference in age there will be changes to accommodate to. Dh and I are 6 yrs. apart and I can tell quite a difference in the two of us and what we can or cannot still do. Day before yesterday he fell again which was the second time in one week. I began to think how spritely both of us use to move while being pretty sure-footed. I think he has a mild tendency to shuffle and not get his left foot high enough for some areas. Our little tiny (less than a half inch) raised door channel coming into the house got him a couple days ago. I've stewed about it ever since. He wasn't hurt, but every time we go somewhere I worry that he will stumble and fall.

When we did our nearly daily shopping at Walmart yesterday Dh held onto the cart with me. It makes it a bit slower for me, and we take up more aisle room, but it is safer for him. Anyway, look for a pm.

Laundry and some catch up for me today. I'm going to cook a stew (on top the stove) for the week-end. My kids are exhausted getting up at 4 a.m. for their jobs, then going over to Ron's sons house and watching little Fritz until after 11 p.m. when his parents get home from work. That said, I do think Ron's son's wife likely won't make it at work. She has some sort of heart issue and has already (in her second week) had to take off a day and a half. So, while my kids are struggling I don't know that it will be for long. They need a good home-cooked meal and likely will sleep in magnificently this week-end.

I am thinking of all who have medical issues as well. Hoping all get the best results possible from tests or procedures. I also second getting rest and allowing the body to regenerate on a natural level at it's pace. The inside really does know more than the outside.

Saying hi to Carole and petite and Taco, Harley Puffin and anyone else I've not mentioned.

Hoping everyone has a beautiful day.

• betrayal
    Options

What a wonderful quote for today! Each day is a gift and LOL some days the gifts are a real bomb, but then the anticipation that the next day will be a better gift keeps one going. So Puffin and Harley lets hope that each day for both of you holds promise for a better one the next and the next until you are finished your treatments. I did not have chemo but can only hope that today's regimens will minimize the SE's.

Puffin, there was a gold crowned sparrow on the suet cake this morning and I don't remember seeing it before. Googled it and found it summers in British Columbia and Alaska. Very pretty bird with its golden head. We have an Eastern towhee who shyly spends its summer near our yard.

The suet cake is a small blob now so I will go replace it. They have been very happy with these cakes so I will reorder them from Walmart again.

Just noticed this morning that the 2 lilacs I have (left from those given to me by my DF) are in bloom or bud. The one in bloom is your standard purple lilac that smells so sweet I am going to dig out my lilac candle for in the house. Too few blooms to cut them off the bush. My parents had a long hedge of lilacs separating our yard from the neighbors and these were shoots from those.

I planted the lilac on the side of the house which has small white flowers that are very fragrant and the one by the front door (we inherited with the house) has small purple flowers and such a heady perfume I wish I could leave my front door open to let the smell in. It is so fragrant that you can smell it from the patio behind the house. Both of these are in bud.

Watered the pansies on the front porch steps and in the flower boxes since the predicted rain was a ruse. It is very cool today, breezy and not expected to get much warmer. Sunny though and that is welcome.

Have hand therapy at noon and pre-op prep leg therapy at 2 PM. So don't think I will get to the garden today. After being captive in the recliner for over 2 months with my only outings physician visits, I really want to be outdoors as much as possible.

cindyny, loved the bird and turtle photos. I am not a true "birder" on the sense that Puffin is, but I do enjoy seeing them and love to see the native species wherever we travel. Can hear the pileated woodpecker in our woods but cannot catch a glimpse of him. I have seen it in the past and keep hoping for another glimpse.

MM, has your DH been evaluated for depression? It doesn't seem that the age gap should completely account for his lack of interest in life. My FIL was 10 years older than my MIL and he was active right up until he was dx with Alzheimer's about 3 years before he died. He was in his late 80's when he died.

DH finished privacy screens around the propane tanks and can now move on to the juniper screens. When he is finished I will check out the slate walkway, the hydrangeas planted there also need chicken wire covers and I will weed. Once that is done, I can mulch. It didn't get done last year because it still looked good and I ran out of steam.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 938
    Options

I spent the morning in the ER, Had an episode of heavy heart pumping during the night and then being really short of breath when I got up, had that impeding doom feeling.

My OT was here for my 8am appt and stayed with me till ambulance got here. Tests all OK, decision was a panic/asthma attack - should have used my asthma inhaler sooner.

A friend brought me home along with a smaller wheelchair for getting me to appointments. I've taken a nap and feel better.

Radiology is going to try and move my treatment up to Monday if possible since I'm getting a little worse every day.

• betrayal
    Options

Puffin, sorry to hear about your need for an ER visit. Glad you were able to return home and feel better.

Lilies are now opening in bouquet I received. The first opened about 2 days ago, yesterday I watched one progress from starting to open to full open by evening, and a third opened today. It is 10 inches across so impressive size. Number 4 is 30% open, number 5 is about 10% open and number 6 is open at the tip of the petals with number 7 still tight at the tip. I cannot believe how large they are.

Hand therapy ended today with earlier than expected discharge but I was hoping she would discharge me so all is well. Hand is at about 80% of the right and she thinks if I continue home exercises I can achieve 90%. I think gardening will help.

Went to PT for legs and will work with same therapist I had last summer prior to my Italy trip. She did an evaluation and has a plan. I already have at home exercises and appointments booked 3x/week until the last week in May. She is focusing on what I need now and what I will need for post-op success so I need to really apply myself for the next month. Goal is to be able to walk up and down our driveway before my surgery.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 254
    Options

Twice a year, our city has a hazard waste pickup. In fact, they came today. I've given them paint, electronics, etc. Today if was LOTS of cords, plus a dead laptop, a telephone, and dead external drives which I found when I did my office.

MM, it's not just the age difference. My DH, only 3 years older than I am, has really withdrawn and wouldn't ever go to a senior center. He admits he has only one friend. He does know the names of all the dogs he sees when he walks Mutz but not the people. He still does some of his "jobs" around the house but it is definitely taking him more time to get to them. I am grateful that he doesn't expect me to be here all the time. Things have also become very ritualized for him. Have to wash every four days whether we have a full load or not.

I went to an interesting luncheon today given by the Sun Health Foundation, affiliated with the local hospitals. Speaker has had a very fascinating life and she was so inspiring.

Sending hugs to all who need them.

• harley07
    edited April 26
    Options

Puffin - in your pocket for radiation next week. I’m so sorry to hear about your ER visit but am happy to hear your friends are supporting you and will be staying over night after radiation. Please continue to keep us update.

Betrayal - good news on being discharged from hand therapy and moving to knee therapy to prepare for replacement surgery. It sounds like you are really dedicated to ensuring a good outcome and will reap the benefits of a smoother recovery.

MM & Taco - the situation with the DH’s is concerning and one I also have with my DH. He retired at the end of December. He is 68 and his plan was to join a pickleball league at the local gym and do volunteer work. Neither has happened due to a sore right shoulder and bicep. He’s apparently had this issue since last summer but didn’t tell me until February. He finally made an appointment with an ortho doctor for next week. I’m hoping that a cortisone shot and/or PT will provide some relief. Now he says he delayed making the appointment due to my latest cancer diagnosis which takes priority. We’ve only had the diagnosis for 5 weeks so that excuse is baloney. He worked in sales and was very successful. But beyond talking ‘shop’ with customers I’ve realized he has become very withdrawn socially and does not interact with other humans. He does go to the gym to work out 3-4 days week and rides his bike outside weather permitting so I give him a lot of credit for that. His former co-workers want to get together but again he has put that off using my diagnosis as an excuse. We have my treatment schedule of every 3 weeks and I can drive myself everywhere else so I’m encouraging him to make plans. I’ve made plans to see my former coworkers in the next 6 weeks and am looking forward to it. I love him dearly and he has been very supportive but I can see that the medical stuff is wearing him down as he has a very low tolerance for it.

ETA: Sandy thanks for the anti-nausea suggestions. We happen to have the Dramamine Ginger Chews in our pantry as we had taken them along on our February cruise. We also have ginger ale in the house because DH likes it. I didn’t know that stirring with a fork will flatten it - good to know. I have a prescription for compazine and zofran, so hopefully I’ve got my bases covered.

Have a Good Friday!