We are 217,531 members in 81 forums discussing 154,226 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1094 of 1,132 (33,948 results)

Posts 32791 - 32820 (33,948 total)

Aug 17, 2018 09:51AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sun is shining for now but we had quite the storm last night full of rain, thunder and lightning. Dh said Bill just paced and paced which he does. He just hates the thunder. We will get rain later on today I think -- another good pour down from the sound of it. Then still over the week-end there could be more. Just wow. I'll be glad when things settle down a bit. I'm glad that we are less dried out but as in all things it seems as usual our weather if feast and famine. Too much of each for longer than most want it.

Otherwise a good day. Have to go and have my car put on a scope. The think the stable Trak is off. We I think are going to try and re-set first and see how that fares. If that doesn't work, then changing the computer module will have to take place. Also have to get the transmission fluid dealt with but that will happen on Monday -- and by then we will know if the re-set worked.

So hoping you all will have a great Friday.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 17, 2018 06:09PM - edited Aug 17, 2018 06:10PM by ChiSandy

After almost 10 yrs. of getting gel French manicures (my nails are weak and my R hand nails, even with multiple coats of hardener, don't make it through the first 30 min. of a 2-hr. gig), I gave up. I won't use fingerpicks--just can't get used to the way they feel and I lose them all the time--and need my R hand nails (at least index & thumb) to be long and L hand nails to be super-short for fretting cleanly. Now, it's becoming clear that for several months, playing stringed instruments is not going to be a factor in how I do my nails. And using only my R hand to go rummaging around in my bags & purses and working the velcros on my cast-brace has caused the R hand nails to start peeling up, chipping & spliting after only a few days. To reinforce them, half the time they need reinforcing with silk patches & even plastic tip extensions. Even without the patches, the French manicure requires several more layers of different products (bonder, builder gel base, no-chip polishes in pink with white tips, and topcoat), which are prone to delaminate. So we cut the R hand nails to the same length as the L and decided to do just one color, all the same product (Gelish no-chip polish) in a cherry-red--just base, two coats of color and topcoat. Hoping it works. (Not used to anything that intense on short nails--I might insist on pink, beige, greige or mauve next time).

Today was the funeral for Gordy's ex-GF's grandmother. She was 88 and had non-small-cell lung cancer for 10 years--the last four of which was metastatic. Her daughter (Gordy's ex's mom) has metastatic pancreatic cancer (going into her 3d year), but drove up from AL right after chemo to make the funeral. Last week, she stepped in a gopher hole in her yard and broke her ankle. They gave her a cast and crutches, but because balancing on crutches is difficult when non-weightbearing on one leg--they didn't do physical therapy first--she fell backward and cracked the cast. She's going back to Gadsden next week (gets her cancer treatments at UA Birmingham), and hoping they won't have to do surgery. The unspoken question is how long before she fully recovers from the surgery--if she lives that long. To add insult to injury, her ex (Gordy's ex's stepdad and father of her younger sister) just died of Alzheimer's.

We were all set to drive to the funeral and then the cemetery--but I couldn't get the car out of the garage. We had a massive downpour last night and rain entered the GFCI box via an open louver window, so the interrupter kept tripping and the opener wouldn't work this morning. Bob managed to open & close the door manually, but I'm not that strong. (Plus, it's a PITA to have to idle in the alley while futzing with the heavy overhead door). So we had to take a Lyft up to the funeral. Couldn't catch a ride in the procession to the cemetery and Gordy was starving, so we Lyft'ed it home. (Meanwhile, I made an electrician appt. for Mon.).

I managed to hold the red GFCI button in long enough to re-engage the door opener. I tried to work the levers to close the window louvers, but they wouldn't budge. So I found a broomstick that had been bent in two & patched with duct tape--I bent it into a V around the handles of the levers and used my body to push them up to close the louvers. Hoping that does the trick--we'll see what happens if it storms again...and it will.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 18, 2018 08:56AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Hard times don't create heroes.
It is during the hard times when the 'hero' within us is revealed.
- Bob Riley

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 18, 2018 09:07AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Good morning as we start the day with a little sun. We might not keep it all day, but it is very nice to see. It is pleasant out of doors -- so I stopped in a little spot and grabbed my daily handful of weeds -- more errant grass that was trying hard to spring up in my Spring plantings this yr. I will ( there is some impatience in me ) be waiting anxiously for next Spring to find out how much fuller a couple of these areas will be. My cousin assures me that usually any bare areas are well filled once the plantings start their second season. Going thru the winter to get to that sight is a bit on the daunting side. The amt. of overall rain we have had this yr. ( mainly thinking starting this Spring ) has really been something.

We decided to go ahead with our roof. Had it been dryer than it was we might have waited but weather has become thru the last three or four yrs. so very un-certain in our part of the country. So, we will get that done.

Nothing much scheduled -- just an un-lazy Saturday. Catch-up on some things as I didn't realize Dh would have three days in a row off. He did have to deliver something yesterday and then got a call this a.m. to go open the store. The manager's dog tangled with a skunk yesterday and so he and his wife ended up listening to the dog howl from the garage ( not being allowed into the house ) and they tried a number of baths without enough success to let the dog in. They I presume, as well as the dog finally fell asleep through exhaustion. So, boss is sleeping in ( after he called Dh ) for a bit before he comes in.

Knock on wood -- for living out in the country our dogs have never encountered a skunk. Hope they never do. Sounds just awful to have happen. Really doesn't sound like anything much is a effective as you would wish or like.

Aug 18, 2018 12:13PM - edited Aug 18, 2018 12:13PM by Wren44

I've always heard tomato juice works. We were at Big Bend Park when our dog chased a skunk. For one of the few times in her life she came when called and the skunk got away without having to employ the scent. We laughed about how many of the tiny little cans of tomato juice in the park store it would take to de-skunk a border collie/shepherd mix. Very thankful we didn't have to find out.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Aug 18, 2018 03:20PM - edited Aug 18, 2018 03:21PM by ChiSandy

We once ran over (w/o contacting) a skunk coming s. on I-5 between Arlington & Everett, WA (we were returning from a weekend in the San Juans). The skunk let loose its payload all over the undercarriage of our Datsun before it skittered away on to the shoulder to inflict damage on other vehicles. We drove home to Seattle with "480 air conditioning:" 4 windows down, 80 mph. I called the AAA--the road service dispatcher told me to junk the car. Bob ran across the street to the UW Healh Sciences bldg. and I called the WA State Patrol.

Per a WA State trooper--and Bob's biochem textbook--tomato juice does work. But it works even better with a little vinegar mixed in. Skunk juice is butyl mercaptan. Hit it with acetic acid and it neutralizes becomes mercaptoacetate. The T.J. effectively masks any residual aroma--but till we got the engine steam-cleaned (which our insurance agreed to cover) and went through a few car washes, the car smelled like tomato vinaigrette.

And we had the car 9 more years.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 19, 2018 02:35PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Self-respect cannot be hunted. It cannot be purchased.
It is never for sale. It cannot be fabricated out of public relations.
It comes to us when we are alone, in quiet moments, in quiet places,
when we suddenly realize that, knowing the good, we have done it;
knowing the beautiful, we have served it;
knowing the truth, we have spoken it.

Whitney Griswold

Aug 19, 2018 06:28PM - edited Aug 19, 2018 06:29PM by IllinoisLady

Interesting day today. No rain but some clouds. The balloons from the Balloon Fest flew this morning and many landed over by my friends house. That is not too far from the newer ( less than a yr. ) Best Western that is gracing Centralia. It is in a new little shopping mall with the new Super Walmart right across the street. Things here ( some times change ) just renew themselves often. Buchheit's took the old Walmart so that end of town has a lot more in it now than it did. So that store is right by the new mall and Walmart store.

The older mall ( next street over ) is not in the best of shape but some things have held on. I think maybe due to size of needed space. The tri-plex AMC movie theater and restaurant as well as a new ( re-design at old location ) Taco Bell. Schnucks Grocery still there along with Big Lots -- we aren't hopping but it is okay.

Going to rain later I think. Hope you all have had a great Sunday.

Aug 19, 2018 08:39PM Wren44 wrote:

Nice weather here but the smoke has returned and is expected to last. It makes for eerie effects when you're able to see it at a distance. It reminds me of some of the forest fire photos where you can't see the flames.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Aug 20, 2018 08:09AM carolehalston wrote:

Jackie, I would love to see those balloons.

Looking forward to a weather change bringing back our crisp, clear air. It was overcast and humid yesterday and looks the same outside this morning. Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer.

Off to the gym this morning.

DH just went through the garbage to retrieve pieces of what he thought was a check. It was a money order! He has to return it to the sender who reserved a camping spot and cancelled.

Hope everyone has a good Monday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 20, 2018 10:01AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Love is the doorway through which the human soul passes from selfishness to service and from solitude to kinship with all humankind. Unattributed

Aug 20, 2018 10:13AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Rain through the night and more expected through the day today. Not too nice I don't think. It makes it muggy for a bit until the rains arrives. Probably should change that to almost steamy with mugginess. I really don't like those times at all.

The balloons are fantastic. I think the best thing is that the arrangement ( we do have a couple of local balloon owner/operators ) we have here for balloon pilots allows for the public to interact heavily with the pilots and balloons. They all gather around Catfish pond ( a man-man pond that is stocked for people who enjoy fishing during the summer months ) to set up the balloons, have the dusk-time balloon glows and of course take off and fly. If not busy with any of those things ( and they aren't always ) people can ask questions, look into the balloon baskets and maybe even set up an appt. to get a 'ride'. I am told it is heavenly but as I'm not fond of small spaces ( and balloon baskets are far from large ) I've never desired ( though I remain curious somewhat ) to take a ride in one. I'm also told that sounds from the ground going up are quite magnified -- meaning that the people in a balloon can roughly hear your entire conversations. Sure makes you watch what you say when a balloon is above you.

We are fortunate to have such close interaction. I'm also told there may be only one or two other places ( here in the U.S. ) where people are allowed to be so close to the balloons. It is beautiful here with the balloons around the pond. When they 'glow' the balloons they reflect into the pond. There is a picture postcard for sure.

Going to babysit one of my favorites today. Little Muffin, my cousin's dog. Other things on the list as well. Hope it all comes off all right.

Aug 20, 2018 10:55PM ChiSandy wrote:

No balloons here, just the Air & Water Show--the Blue Angels & Thunderbirds flew over my house over the weekend. Tough to see them, though. The weekend before my fateful 2015 mammo, we had brunch at the Signature Room atop the Hancock. From our window table, it was amazing seeing the antique planes, paratroopers floating down...and the jets zooming past below us! Rained on & off today, and stormed tonight--hard enough to halt some suburban commuter rail lines.

Jackie, does Mt. Vernon still have that terrific Chinese buffet?

Aug 21, 2018 09:16AM carolehalston wrote:

Today is my women's golf league. It's hazy outside and cool, in the 60's, but is supposed to clear off with a high in the low 70's. Still no measurable rain. For weeks whenever there is rain, it goes south or north of us.

Jackie, I guess it baffles me a little that a dog needs a "sitter."

I was down 1 lb. at the WW meeting yesterday afternoon. So I dropped part of the l.6 lbs I was up the previous Monday! So far this summer I am meeting my goal of not gaining weight until my waistbands are tight. I know it's a silly reaction, but I'm pleased when I put on a pair of shorts and they're roomy.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 21, 2018 09:38AM IllinoisLady wrote:

For most of life, nothing wonderful happens. If you don't enjoy getting up and working and finishing your work and sitting down to a meal with family or friends, then the chances are you're not going to be very happy. If someone bases his or her happiness or unhappiness on major events like a great new job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage or a trip to Paris , that person isn't going to be happy much of the time. If, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness. -Andy Rooney

Aug 21, 2018 10:03AM - edited Aug 21, 2018 10:05AM by IllinoisLady

Hmm, well the dogs need a sitter because for the most part they are somewhat ( to whatever degree ) spoiled. As well, some dog breeds can be just troublesome to train. So -- I stay with the Dr.'s Yorkies ( though there is one miniature Schnauzer there as well ) because Yorkies don't train all that easy. In fact, once they learn a couple bad habits they seem to forget training if undertaken, easily. As for my cousin -- there really isn't much there to do. Muffin just loves to be outside and they like ( and I only live a couple of miles from them ) for him to get outside. I stay there ( rather than leave him out and go back later to put him in ) because there is a youngster across the street who would come to the fence and tease too much. So the Yorkies have a nice area behind the master bedroom ( sort of a very nice sized mud room ) and they behave while there, but though large, it is boring and though they could go outside from this room, the lack of human interaction is not ( owner's estimation ) good for them. It seems they behave better when there are people to "entertain" them on a somewhat constant basis. Also, they don't seem to go outside as readily otherwise. With Muffin, he is alone -- no other companion canines, so my cousins are more inclined to try and see that someone gets him outside and he isn't forced to mope inside for hours alone.

Bottom line as well ---- no need for expensive boarding kennels, where the dogs would not receive individualized attentions more in line with the type of attentions these dogs are use to consistently at home.

Sandy, I do think the Chinese buffet is still in Mt. Vernon. Dh doesn't like Chinese food enough ( though I sure do ) to go to a buffet so we have not gone there.

Carole, I don't think keeping wt. down is silly at all and likely much more healthful over all. I have the struggle all the time of keeping just this side of not having things too tight. My waist has been to 'thick' for a long time and I should work on that, but so many things seem to jump in from of that idea.

Glad to say my ceiling went up yesterday. Oh how nice to not have broken ceiling tiles on the floor and a whole section barely hanging on above my head. The ceiling light was actually keeping the remaining tiles ( over half the room ) up, but half a tiled ceiling is pretty un-attractive. Pretty economical to have installed, and a bit of a bonus -- the carpenters that put it up went up on our roof and installed some more flashing. Later we had a super pour-down. Well, there still is two small places where we had a leak. Not sure what the next 'trick' to cure the roof leak is going to be. Hope we figure out something.

Maybe not much rain today, but could have a small shower. Weather will be turning back hot over the week-end. Blech !! Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Aug 21, 2018 04:01PM - edited Aug 21, 2018 04:11PM by ChiSandy

Jackie, I grew up on Cantonese-American food. Every Jewish neighborhood in NYC (especially Brooklyn) had at least one or two such restaurants. Their hallmark--like chips & salsa on the table at Mexican restaurant--was a big bowl of crispy, wide deep-fried noodles with dishes or squeeze bottles of "duck sauce" (like sweet & sour, but sort of like a slightly spicy thinner orange marmalade) and hot mustard on the side. (And a pot of dark, strong, nearly black Oolong tea, with a full sugar-shaker accompanying it). We noshed on those noodles till our orders were taken, then till the soup came, then we put them into the soup. For some bizarre reason, Chicago-area Chinese restaurants (even buffets & take-out joints) don't offer them--just those skinny La Choy style ones you can buy in bags & cans in supermarkets. But the Mt. Vernon Chinese buffet was the first place in the Midwest I found them; my singing partner, who grew up in Northbrook and lives in Madison, couldn't understand why I nearly wept with joy (and ate them straight, not just in soup).

Within four blocks of me are one Chinese takeout joint, one pan-Asian, one sushi bar, one Korean and two Thai eateries. (And Whole Foods does stir-fries to order). Bob likes the pan-Asian one around the corner because it offers brown rice--but I don't like most of their stuff because they use mostly American veggies and drown everything in the same gloppy sweet & salty brown sauce. I do like their fried appetizers (spring rolls, shrimp) and their one Korean dish, chap chae (clear noodles & shrimp)--which, oddly, the Korean place doesn't serve. Oh, and Wing Stop around the corner just added Korean-style to its wing menu. In the neighborhood are also two Ethiopian (one around the corner), a nouvelle-Indian, vegan comfort, and three Mexican restaurants. That doesn't count Cellars, the pubs that offer burgers, beer & sandwiches, and the Neapolitan pizzeria. It's a wonder I still cook!

For brunch today I made shrimp-veg. egg foo yung (no gravy). Stir-fry tonight.

Rained so hard last night I could see it coming down as I looked through the window--blinds half-closed and the room brightly lit. Fortunately, the basement didn't flood and the garage door works. Rained this morning too, so no need to water. Bumper crop of heirloom cherry tomatoes--have to go through the plants twice a day to make sure to pick the ripe ones before they split or rot. Sweeter than the strawberries I bought!

Beautiful out today (despite the hazy skies from the Western wildfires and the ragweed pollen on the wind). Nothing to do, nowhere to go. Big news day, though (can't talk about it on this thread).

Aug 22, 2018 08:01AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Self respect cannot be hunted. It cannot be purchased. It is never for sale. It cannot be fabricated out of public relations. It comes to u when we are alone, in quiet moments, in quiet places, when we suddenly realize that, knowing the good we have done it: knowing the beautiful, we have served it: knowing the truth, we have spoken it.

Whitney Griswold.

Aug 22, 2018 09:10AM carolehalston wrote:

A Chinese/American buffet is the LAST place I would go to eat. The only choices I have ever enjoyed are egg rolls (with the sweet sauce and the mustard that opens your sinuses) and hot and sour soup. I can find something to eat in the ordinary pizza place and the fast food hamburger place but all my food instincts scream NO! to a Chinese buffet.

Once in San Francisco's China town, dh and I (using the eeny, meeny, miny, mo technique) entered a Chinese restaurant full of Asian looking people and a wait staff who spoke no English. We managed to order some food that included delicious dumplings. Once in Chicago we went to a Chinese restaurant where I also remember enjoying the food. But I don't remember what I ate. So I think it's that generic Chinese/American that I don't like. All the flavors are "too" whatever, sweet, salty, bland.

Sandy, we are indeed in a period when there is lots of news. It's almost like living in a science fiction world.

Today I have nothing on my schedule except an exercise walk. DH will be playing golf. I may go down to the fishing dock and do some fishing.

Aug 22, 2018 01:48PM IllinoisLady wrote:

I love Chinese food, but saying that I have to admit that if ( and first time out I did ) I find something I like I usually get about the same thing every time. No point in ruining everything by ordering something that turns me off. It is not very adventuresome at all, but I'm always full this way. So, every where I go ( including fast food ) I have favorites and I pretty much stick to them. I was for a very long time a picky eater. I've grown out of a lot of that, but not that far out. I always get Sweet and Sour Pork with rice and green peppers, onions and pineapple. Just can't bring myself to order anything else. Taco Bell a steak Quesadilla, Steak & Shake, a Garlic Burger.

Tomorrow is hair day. I'm taking my friend and she will get a haircut and set.

Aug 22, 2018 10:08PM ChiSandy wrote:

Today was sweet & sour. The sour is that even though my root canal was completed, I had to get a second root canal. (The tooth my dentist & perio thought was the problem has turned out to indeed be the problem--even though the adjacent tooth, which had the abscess at the base of the root, was the one the endodontist did first because she felt it was more endangered). The sweet is that I was given the OK to ditch the cast-brace, and am being encouraged to start using my L hand a lot more. But it's rebelling against that--the spaces around the metacarpal joints are still puffy, and my range of motion w/o pain is very limited. I was told to expect at least 4-6 weeks of pain and stiffness as we work to mobilize the wrist. PT/OT starts Monday, twice a week through mid-Sept.

Aug 23, 2018 09:44AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There is something greater and purer than what the mouth utters. Silence illuminates our souls, whispers to our hears, and brings them together. Khalil Gibran

Aug 23, 2018 10:05AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I think we are going to have a couple more decent days before the heat returns. Glad to hear things are sort of, in a way, maybe, but all right as to looking to be on the upswing for you Sandy. Did I get enough build-up there. Sorry to hear about the dental issues, but at least the bad one is pretty much no longer at issue. So, thankful for even small victories seems to be in order. Grrr, though since 4-6 weeks of pain has a dampening effect I'm sure on getting to the point of having a wrist that operates for and with you. Sometimes the 'buts' of life are a trial. I guess we just have to look at where you were when this all started, huh !!!

Going to take my friend ( so far her dx. is sounding okay ) to my beauty shop today for a much needed cut, wash, and set. Her hair is to her waist and she has gone through the last two summers w/o air conditioning here. I don't know how she does it. This is something that just the thought of would cause me to panic. We have had a/c since our/my return home here in Illinois 21 yrs. ago. Never needed it in California ( just a mile from the beach ) and we grew up here without it. I think we had less than great summers then as well, but I was young so my folks much younger too. Now, most people just wouldn't do without -- though if older you tend to set it differently. We keep ours at 78-80 and while that is too warm for many -- it is pretty good for us since we keep fans on for better circulation.

May take on a patient ( limited work time ) and I will go on Friday morning to meet with the people. I do know ( so this could be fine ) that I don't want much work. I've too many other things I'm feeling the need to do. So, we will see how it goes.

Hope it will be a great Thursday for all.

Aug 23, 2018 12:03PM carolehalston wrote:

This morning included gym and breakfast. Funny how a meal tastes especially good on some occasions. I enjoyed my cheese and tomato omelet (actually I brought home half of it) and my pancake with sugar free syrup. I ate half of it, too, but didn't bring the other half home.

Now dh and I have to mow grass. Yuck. Not feeling enthusiastic about doing that job even though the new walk-behind mower is self-propelled.

August is moving along and soon it will be September and the arrival of fall here in north MN.

Happy Thursday.

Aug 23, 2018 02:22PM Wren44 wrote:

Looks like our smoke is starting to clear out. I can look in the distance and it's not yellow. We should be ok for the next several days. It will likely last until fall rains in Oct. There are just too many fires to get all of them out without help.

Aug 23, 2018 03:10PM ChiSandy wrote:

Having San Diego-style weather here in Chicago, with blue skies now that the wildfire-smoke haze has moved east. Driving up Lincoln Ave. to my dental and ortho appts. yesterday, the sky looked like it does in the intro to "The SImpsons."

Slept with an elastic support cuff on my wrist, which felt good but was a bear to remove this morning (the R ulnar tendinitis was protesting mightily). Will take surgeon's advice to not wear any wrist support to sleep--he reassures me my now surgically-reduced-to-normal-length ulna wouldn't jab my recovering debrided TFCC disk, which was what had turned a Feb. strain into an Easter evening full-blown tear.

Aug 23, 2018 04:13PM Anneb1149 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have started this post 3x and have realized each one was book length.

My daughter with the 3 kids (including the one who broke his wrist a few weeks ago) texted my oldest daughter and I that she was divorcing her husband. It is like pulling teeth to get info from her. At one point, she said when fights get physical, it's time to end the relationship. No details, so we had no idea who got physical and it was a toss-up. They had an epic physical fight at their wedding reception, with my daughter being the aggressor. She said custody was going to be 50/50 , and she was the one moving out. Their idea of 50/50 is that she will go over every morning to get the older two off to school, then go to work, leaving the 2 yr old with Dad, then return to make dinner and when the 2 yr old falls asleep, she will go to her apt for the night.I don't get it- do they wake up in the middle of the night to fight? Plus it turns out he was the aggressor this time. But she says this house is the first time the kids have ever had their own rooms (remember I just redid their oldest daughter's?) and the house is truly a money pit that she wants nothing to do with. She will be getting a full time job, and by renting a really cheap apt for the next year, hopes to have enough of a down payment on a decent house for her and the kids next year. The day they finally got K to the hospital to get his wrist set and casted, the husband collapsed with severe chest pain. I was in Ga, but made arrangements to fly home that night, so I would be available to take care of the kids, laundry, cooking, etc. My daughter called me in tears, asking me to call her MIL to ask if she could get his family to stop the constant emails and texts, basically telling her not to leave him. I called, and very quickly found out she had no idea what was going on with the marriage, but was aware her son was in the hospital. That led to a half hour rant about how good she had been to my daughter all these years, and how hard her son had worked to provide a good home for his family. Long story short, I ended up on the evil end of the stick with the husband calling my daughter screaming that I better not come anywhere near them or I would be very sorry. I can't tell you how scary that was. So, I stayed away. But, at least I am only 2 hrs away, not an airline flight. His diagnosis from the ER was severe anxiety attack with a possible small heart attack. I don't believe the heart attack part, because I don't think the would have discharged him without a definite diagnosis. Luckily, my daughter has kept her hair dressing license up to date and she has interviews at 2 salons tomorrow.

The thing that scares me most is that the husband has PTSD, and his anger and inappropriate behavior is getting worse. I am scared to death with the kids being with him, although the girls get along very well with him. I'm really worried about their son. But, as I said to my sister yesterday, if we were to call child services, nothing would happen- the kids are healthy, clean, dressed normally, and have excellent attendance at school. Both parents can come across as normal people when needed.The only result would be that we would no longer have any contact with them at all.

As you can imagine, this has totally thrown me into a tizzy, and ruined my travel plans. I am sort of, tentatively making new plans, but don't know if I will be able to enjoy myself, leaving my daughter and the kids with no support.

Sandy, glad to hear you’re wrist is healing, even if it is tough- at least you are moving in the right direction.

Ann

Dx 9/25/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 10/3/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/3/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/9/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/27/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 24, 2018 09:12AM - edited Aug 24, 2018 09:16AM by IllinoisLady

Give yourself the gift of forgiving others,
not because THEY deserve it,
but because YOU deserve the serenity and joy
that comes from releasing resentment and anger.
Unconditional forgiveness is the path to your own inner peace.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

When your life is filled with the desire to see holiness in everyday life, something magical happens; ordinary life becomes extraordinary, and the very process of life begins to nourish your soul. Harold Kushner

Aug 24, 2018 09:28AM carolehalston wrote:

Wow, Anne. What a worry for you. Hope the situation gets better for everyone, especially the kids. Sounds like your daughter can be decisive when she decides on a course of action.

We finally had some rain showers during the night, enough to disturb my sleep but probably not nearly enough to saturate the soil.

We're signed up for couples' golf at noon and dinner with the group afterwards. Hope we don't get "saturated" on the course!

Happy Friday to all.

Aug 24, 2018 09:37AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Anne, I'm so sorry to hear that you are back into such issues again with family. It doesn't sound like some of the husband's family is a lot more rational than he, but I might be reading that wrong. Then again I know as a parent you tend to feel protective and likely his family feels they are only helping him. Your attitude seems to me to be more like, these two adults have made a mistake, know it, and are working on a way to fix it.

I don't believe necessarily that there was a heart attack but maybe some angina precipitated by extreme anxiety. Sandy would likely know more about that. Perhaps the young man should get some PTSD care to help him cope better with many of the stressful parts of life. I really do think you need to keep as many doors open as you can. Would be nice if this man's family could help him see the value of getting some treatment for HIS issues rather than ( just my opinion which may not mean much ) seeming to allow him inappropriate responses too often. Since I don't know anyone I'm more throwing out ideas but do think you were right in not calling in authority figures, even more so when things seem to be more volatile right now.

Page 1094 of 1,132 (33,948 results)