We are 211,213 members in 82 forums discussing 151,373 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 8, 2009 09:59AM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1097 of 1,098 (32,932 results)

Posts 32881 - 32910 (32,932 total)

Sep 9, 2018 01:22AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I will greet this day with love in my heart.

And how will I do this? Henceforth will I look on all things with love and
I will be born again. I will love the sun for it warms my bones; yet I will
love the rain for it cleanses my spirit. I will love the light for it shows me
the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars. I will
welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; yet I will endure sadness
for it opens my soul. I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due;
yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge.

Og Mandino

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 9, 2018 01:33AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Oh my, pouring again this morning but then I knew from the forecast how likely it was. There are lots of flood warnings out as there would be when we have pouring rain for two days. We did get a few slight hours of reprieve yesterday. This too should slow down in the afternoon, but sounds like it will actually carry over into Sunday for a while as well. It seems more like the rains of Spring that we normally get and which came but not with THIS consistency we are having now I sure hope everyone stays safe and sound. The worst is always those who get caught out unaware or some who think the water isn't so high that they can't go ahead and slowly drive through it.

I'm tired already of the 'wetness' but as usual -- the only way out of it is through it. That advice applies pretty well to everything. It is a shame Carole that you can't stay for the Fall colors in MN, but then I'd be anxious to get home to a Mom too. Sometimes it takes longer for them to be at their best anyway. Who knows what this yr. might bring? I'm wondering about ours --- especially with our excessive rain right now. We are still quite green when normally the lawns would look a lot more dried out and sparse -- as well as some of the bushes. We really don't get the best until Oct/Nov. but this yr. I think no predictions.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 9, 2018 03:31PM ChiSandy wrote:

Up here on the North Side we didn't get the rain that was forecast today, and they're calling for sunshine up here tomorrow too. High 60s day & night. So will have to bite the bullet and water the tomatoes & herbs tomorrow, backache or not.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 10, 2018 12:39AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Many of the most successful people I have known have never grown up. They have retained bubbling over youthfulness. They have relished wit, they have indulged in humor. They have not allowed " dignity " to depress them into moroseness. Youthfulness of spirit is the twin sibling of optimism. Resist growing up. B.C Forbes

Sep 10, 2018 03:40AM LinnyG wrote:

Hi Northstar - Thanks for starting this thread. I am an 70 (71 in November). Diagnosed with mucinous carcinoma, L breast, on August 23. Having single mastectomy with tissue expander on 9/25. I have never not been healthy and active (swim a mile 4X/wk, gym 6X/wk, cycling) so this is throwing me for a loop. Some days I an talk about it without being teary, other days (like today!), all I have to do is think about it and I cry. I am blessed to have wonderful support - husband, kids, community - and a wonderful breast surgeon. And I know I have to get this cancer out, but I am very apprehensive about a total lifestyle change post-op. Like I used to tell my kids - suck it up, Buttercup. I'm tryiing and will get through it, as we all will. Thanks for listening!

Sep 10, 2018 04:42AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Welcome LinnyG,

I commend you on your attitude. Once in a while that is all we have to help us get through -- so having a good one pays. I also commend you for your active/healthy lifestyle. Many have found that cancer is equal opportunity or you can do everything right and still get cancer. The opposite is just as true -- people who go the other way in lifestyle ( I'm more in that category ) get it just as much. My neighbor who does/lives almost just like I do sails through and seems to get nothing. I tend to look at things -- if our life was perfect -- what would we learn. That said, most of us to a person would prefer that we NOT have to learn about cancer especially since our education comes the hard way -- by dealing with it first hand.

If you read for awhile, posts here and other threads as well, you will find a lot of people leading a happy fairly healthy life after whatever treatments they and their medical teams agreed on together. It is very difficult to hear you have cancer since even now just hearing the word in relationship to yourself can be truly upsetting. You feel like something is being taken away from you against your will -- your health that in your case you worked hard to maintain. I've often heard that getting this dx. when you are older is slightly better. It does seem though that we generally have ( by the time we older ladies are dx'ed ) been exposed to many more toxins. I am, as I'm sure everyone here will be, wishing you well and hoping for you to have as un-eventful journey as possible. We are always here and the door is always open.

Sep 10, 2018 11:37PM IllinoisLady wrote:

This is the true joy in life, the being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for a moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations. -George Bernard Shaw

Sep 10, 2018 11:40PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Ah, we will have sun today and plenty of it. It will stay at cooler temps though so will be nearly perfect at 77 degrees. This will give us some chance to dry out a bit. Also, I can wander the yard and do some small things ( some twigs and sm. limbs coming down during the hard rains ) on my way back and forth to store things outside etc.

I hope everyone has a super day.

Sep 11, 2018 11:56PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."
- Mary Anne Radmacher

Sep 12, 2018 12:20AM carolehalston wrote:

We will have some warmer temperatures this week and more humidity. The temperature today is supposed to get up to about 80 degrees. I plan to play women's golf at noon.

My WW weigh in wasn't as bad as I feared. I was up .4 lb. Three weeks ago I was up .6, so I'm close to maintaining, which is my real goal this summer. The meeting yesterday was good, as usual. I enjoy this group of WW members and this leader. After the meeting, dh and I had dinner at the Bemidji Country Club restaurant in the club house, which is located on Lake Bemidji. We had a great view of the lake at our table.

The health news on my mother isn't good and isn't surprising. Her kidney function is down as her CHF gets worse. Her doctor is bringing up dialysis.

My niece Rebecca had surgery yesterday for nodules on her thyroid. One nodule had cancer cells. The surgeon told R's mother, my sister, that the cancer was slow growing and that if you had to pick a cancer, you would pick thyroid cancer. Looking on the bright side. This is the same niece with mental problems, three children, and a history of bad decisions.

Nothing I can do to solve either situation. Goodness knows I made lots of attempts to "fix" Rebecca.

Wishing everyone a good Tuesday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 12, 2018 03:22AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sounds like your niece will come out of her thyroid issues just fine. Sadly, not perhaps her other issues, but each person has their road and sometimes others are powerless to do much about that road. Carole, you tried and that is all anyone can do. Some things just have to bear the fruit they do -- no matter how difficult or unpleasant for others.

Nice here today as yet, but we will warm somewhat. So, I can get back into my pedal pushers and enjoy.

I made a dessert yesterday that I've thought about ( hanging my head a bit here ) for over 20 yrs. Well, not this exact recipe but recipes using crushed pretzels as the base. I may have seen something similar when we lived in California, but I don't recall any of them. In the 'hometown' type cookbooks I found once I got here there were lots. Wow !!! I should have done it long ago.

Sep 12, 2018 03:36AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Pineapple Orange Pretzel Squares

2 1/2 cups crushed pretzels

2 sticks melted butter

1 cup plus 3 TBSPS sugar, divided

1 ( 8oz. ) pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 ( 8oz ) container whipped topping, thawed

1 (20oz ) crushed pineapple, undrained

1 (4 serving size ) instant vanilla pudding

1 ( 11oz ) can Mandarin oranges, drained

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat a 9 X13 baking dish with cooking spray

In med. bowl combine crushed pretzels with melted butter and the 3 TBSPS of sugar. When combined press into baking dish and bake for 11 minutes. Remove from over and allow to cool .

In large bowl with electric mixer beat cr. cheese and the rest of the sugar ( 1 cup ) until smooth. Fold in ( I just used my mixer for that too ) whipped topping. Spread evenly over cooled pretzel crust.

In med bowl combine pineapple with juice and pudding. Mix till thoroughly combined. Gently stir in oranges. Spread this over the cream cheese layer.

Cover and chill for at least four hours or until nice and firm.

Cut into squares and serve.

Sep 12, 2018 05:11AM ChiSandy wrote:

Everyone I know personally who had thyroid cancer came through it just fine---none had a recurrence. (For one, it's been almost 50 yrs.). A lot of baby boomers got it because their tonsils were removed by radiation, which was all the rage in the late '50s-early '60s. My pediatrician was old-school and sent me to an ENT with a surgi-center in his basement (yup, it was a "thing" even back in the 1950s). So my sis & I managed to dodge thyroid cancer. (And instead of an overnight hospital stay: we came home the same day, to vanilla ice cream....lots & lots of vanilla ice cream...maybe that's why I can take or leave vanilla...).

I hear these days they're even doing drive-thru appendectomies!

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 12, 2018 08:01AM Wren44 wrote:

DIL had thyroid cancer. They removed it and zapped her with radiation. This was 17-18 years ago and she's just fine. The doctor said the same thing, Thyroid cancer is the best kind to have. She wrote this wonderful, imaginative blog about being from the planet Thyca and living with her hubby stud muffin. I wish I had the whole thing. She ended it with becoming human and knowing it because she caught the 'flew' from him.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 12, 2018 11:39PM IllinoisLady wrote:

It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more "adulthood" to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind. -Alex Carras

Sep 12, 2018 11:46PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Nice today and I'm happy about that. We will slowly warm up but I don't think ( I hope ) that we won't get back to too hot. Mainly concerned now with Florence. We shouldn't really see much here but maybe higher gas prices for awhile. I hope people are safe. So many don't want to leave their homes. Hard to predict that some storms veer off at the last moment -- but my viewpoint I think, would tend to still be to rather be safe than sorry.

Going to go tomorrow and take care of one of my favorites ( Little Muffin ) for a good while. Also have to take Bill in for his bath. He is back on Prednisone for his allergies. Not liking that but no good alternative.

Hope you are all going to have a good day.

Sep 13, 2018 01:26AM carolehalston wrote:

I wish the media wouldn't treat hurricanes like an exciting event. They're terrifying. I also wish all the people in Florence's path would evacuate. The inconvenience is better than the reality of riding out a hurricane. I have memories of hurricanes dating back to childhood. One year my whole family went to another house in the neighborhood that my father knew was a well-built structure, newer than ours. When we returned home the next morning, our roof had been blown off. There was no rain at that point so no damage was done to the interior of the house. Amazing.

Another year we loaded up into our vehicle and set off for Champ Cooper school. About halfway there, we came to a tree over the highway. So we had to turn around.

This morning I awoke to the sound of a patter of rain on the camper roof over my head. Just a drizzle. Still dh went off to the golf course. Now the drizzle has stopped but it's still overcast.

I have nothing pressing on my schedule today. I may do some laundry and some cleaning. I'll also visit with Mary and Lyman next door. They will be heading to FL on the 21st.

Have a good Wednesday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 13, 2018 02:44AM Wren44 wrote:

Carole, I agree. I would definitely evacuate for Florence. I feel sorry for the people who can't afford to stay in motels, etc. A cot in a school gym would not be fun, but better than sitting in water in my house. I read that the average property in Charleston is 11 ft above sea level. Not nearly high enough. We used to live in Houston, so we watched the news from Harvey in horror.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 13, 2018 01:01PM - edited Sep 13, 2018 01:02PM by ChiSandy

My friend who moved with her three pets (two dogs & a cat) to Charleston this June--her DH is staying behind in the Chi. 'burbs until he can retire from his radio news reporter job--has evacuated inland (and upland) to her sister's place in Spartanburg. She reports it felt really weird to be driving the wrong way on the Interstate--all lanes on both sides of the road are headed inland. Good news is that the winds have slowed to the point that Florence is now a Cat. 2 (likely a 1 or a TS when it reaches Charleston), and the pines in their backyard will likely make it through OK--but still so wide and slow that even though wind damage is less of a concern now, storm surge and flooding from days of heavy rain are still quite worrisome. Doesn't help that DHS transferred $10M out of FEMA's disaster relief & recovery funds and into ICE to fund immigrant detention beds & deportation efforts. (And even more $ has been diverted from the Coast Guard to ICE). Now, none of these funds were legally mandated solely for FEMA disaster mgmt., but that doesn't mean somebody's (ahem...) priorities are majorly effed up.

Wilmington, NC is predicted to take the most major landfall hit. What a lovely town--played the Cape Fear Folk Fest. there twice. And though it's not a major resort town in the same sense as Myrtle Beach, SC, enough of its mom-&-pop businesses are centered on the attraction of its oceanfront location. (Hope that Charter Oak in the park in the center of town survives).

Sep 13, 2018 10:32PM IllinoisLady wrote:

If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
- Alan K. Simpson

Sep 13, 2018 10:43PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Phew, glad the storm has been downgraded. Still much concern over the amt. of water. My BIL ( the one who spent so many yrs. as a foreign relations officer/diplomat ) did live very near the coast of Wilmington, but moved inland to Salisbury a few short yrs. ago. He and his wife and son did live in a house they had built in Shalotte ( no longer sure if I have spelled it correctly ) so were in many tight situations, but never as bad as this predicted one. I hope all do well, but there is going to be a lot of water and aftermath.

So far sounds like we will have an okay day here. I will go over and take care of Muffy -- then back here for awhile and have to take Bill for his medicated bath and then back to care for Muff for a bit longer. Really should be a good day for me though mainly a day to spend with animals more than getting anything done. Dh has the day off which is nice but we will be hit and miss. I have food ready ( a no cooking day ) so it will all be smooth.

Sep 14, 2018 01:18AM - edited Sep 14, 2018 01:19AM by Anneb1149

This Post was deleted by Anneb1149.
Dx 9/25/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 10/3/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/3/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/9/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/27/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 14, 2018 01:22AM Anneb1149 wrote:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACKIE

Hope you have a great day, and thank you for being the glue that holds us all together!

Ann

Dx 9/25/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 10/3/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/3/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/9/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/27/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 14, 2018 03:02AM carolehalston wrote:

Yum, I want to go to Jackie's birthday party and get a piece of that cake! Happy Birthday, Jackie!

The weather here is "weird" for lack of a better description. Overcast, windy, humid, on the warm side. We went to the gym, then out to breakfast. Now I'm doing a load of laundry before heading to town for a haircut/color appointment.

The temperatures are supposed to be high through the weekend with humidity and then next week will be much cooler. The leaves are turning and some are falling.

Hoping for the best news possible on Florence.

Sep 14, 2018 09:43AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Oh that cake sure does look yummy and thank you Anne. I have an eating plan -- but desserts have never managed to fall off of THE plan. The great thing about a plan is that it can be changed, re-arranged or otherwise fiddled with whenever you need to. A birthday is a really great time to need to. I have managed to not gain all that much this summer so guess I can say I've broken even. It is usually the winter that causes me to 'bulge' where I shouldn't.

Our a/c came on early this evening so though it was nice enough outside the temps. have inched up enough to need to cool the house. It has been four or five days so probably time to help us dehumidify a bit.

Deer are turning up in the yard now on a daily basis getting their fill of acorns. Had a deer yesterday that was sooo reluctant to leave. I wanted to let the dogs out but every time I glanced out there the deer remained nibbling away. I think he was there well over an hr.

It is great to be 73 -- well and happy.

Sep 14, 2018 01:20PM ChiSandy wrote:

Happy Birthday, Jackie--and many more!

Our ceiling is done--$700, including materials. Only problem is that the workers didn't wear shoe covers so they tracked drywall schmutz all over the house. (But for that price....). We'll mop & vac tomorrow.

Have my gig tomorrow night--two 45-minute sets. Hoping to get some help loading the car and bringing stuff up to the room. Fortunately, it's small so we won't need to amplify. But I am under orders to ice between sets and after, so I'll bring a couple of instant ones.

Sep 14, 2018 09:05PM joycek wrote:

Happy Birthday Jackie!!!!

Dx 2/23/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/9/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Sep 14, 2018 11:53PM carolehalston wrote:

Glad you're able to "make music" again, Sandy! Hope you are healthy afterwards.

Another overcast day here. We're signed up for couples golf at 11:30 and dinner afterwards.

Happy Friday.

Sep 15, 2018 12:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe
with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure
words, but to pour them all out, chaff and grain together,
knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep
what is worth keeping, and then, with the breath of
kindness, blow the rest away.

George Eliot

Sep 15, 2018 12:23AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Thanks again ladies. It was indeed a wonderful birthday. Especially the more so since back in 2007 and being diagnosed a couple of weeks after my birthday that year I questioned whether I would have any more. Just a reminder for anyone who might lurk here -- after many, many yrs. of mammograms I had become super complacent about thinking I would ALWAYS have good mammograms. I had no family history, at least that I knew about, and thought I did ( some cheating and wt. gain ) mostly healthful things. If you are not having regular mammograms please begin immediately. If you are, then good for you and keep up the good work. We older ladies are exposed to toxicities for a long time and no way of knowing usually when cells might ( hopefully they don't ) react. Be safe.

Lovely out today. Sun is shinning and I imagine later on we will need the a/c again. Right now open windows and fans are doing all we need to stay comfortable. This a.m. just like most mornings now, deer were out in the yard chewing up acorns. Dh mowed late yesterday so likely popped open many of the nuts so I'm sure the deer found the munching very easy and rewarding.

Hope you are all going to have a marvelous Friday. Still hoping for all those in the Florence styorm areas.

Page 1097 of 1,098 (32,932 results)