We are 217,530 members in 81 forums discussing 154,226 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1124 of 1,132 (33,946 results)

Posts 33691 - 33720 (33,946 total)

Feb 19, 2019 10:52AM MCBaker wrote:

MinusTwo, how we do it; Cold water start, bring to boil, turn off the heat, let rest ten minutes. Not going to change, but draining the water and roll them around in the pan looks like a good way to get a smooth peel, particularly if you peel under cold running water.

I am looking for someone to help me with housekeeping, thorough once every two months. Kitchen floor looks gross, and I can't get down there and scrub with a brush, or vacuum enough under little furniture to get rid of pesky dust mites. Even a superficial clean is 15 minutes work, fifteen minutes rest. Will need to check references,even though I don't have much of any value.

Woops, Hiking lady, you posted it,

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Nerlynx

Feb 19, 2019 01:56PM CENOK2017 wrote:

Hi,

If you are still receiving chemo, the American Cancer Society will give you names of housekeepers in your area who will come in for free and clean. I wish I still had their number. GoodLuck

Dx 1/2/2018, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Feb 19, 2019 02:06PM CENOK2017 wrote:

Hello!

Are you going through chemo now? If so,call CLEANING FOR A REASON. It is an organization who will find someone in your area to clean for free. Their number is 1-800-225-4772.

Good Luck!

Dx 1/2/2018, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Feb 19, 2019 03:41PM MCBaker wrote:

No, a local charity gives an allowance to people with cancer who have need, and it is meant for circumstances like this. My parish has a committee which matches people with needs, either money or services.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Nerlynx

Feb 19, 2019 04:54PM MinusTwo wrote:

Jackie: The members on the dinner thread told me you can store hard cooked eggs in the fridge already peeled for a number of days. Just keep in a sealed container. Of course it will depend if your DH will agree to eat them already peeled.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 19, 2019 05:08PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wow, Minus, Dh would love not having to peel his eggs. The only thing is he'd eat them up a lot faster. Sometimes I think my brain just takes the first answer/thought and goes on. It makes perfect sense having heard it, that you could store unshelled boiled eggs somehow. I got lost in if your not going to use then right away and couldn't budge from there.

Maybe I'll have to start playing a game with myself to try and extrapolate everything out to its furthest possibility. May have to check if that 'furthest' is actually possible, but at least I might reach a point where I would stop letting my brain be so lazy. Thanks.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 20, 2019 09:33AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Praise is like sunlight to the warm human spirit; we cannot flower and grow without it. And yet, while most of us are only too ready to apply to others the cold wind of criticism, we are somehow reluctant to give our fellow the warm sunshine of praise.

Jess Lair

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 20, 2019 06:22PM - edited Mar 18, 2019 07:31PM by jo6359

This Post was deleted by jo6359.
Dx 1/29/2018, DCIS, Right, Stage 0 Dx 1/29/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Feb 21, 2019 08:58AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Listening may be one of the most important activities we can choose to participate in in our entire lives. Listening--really good listening-- involves a great deal more than our ears. To listen, we need to empty ourselves for a while. We need to adjourn the committee in our heads and invite its members to take an extended vacation. In order to listen fully, we have to be able to dismiss idle head chatter, criticism, and judgmentalism. Otherwise, our heads are far too crowded to have room for anything new.

Anne Wilson Schaef

Feb 21, 2019 09:30AM IllinoisLady wrote:

So nice, we have some sun out and I do hope it lasts. Not sure of temps. today either. I think my usual source of how I get weather seems off, or maybe it is me. I/we did not have the best of days yesterday. It was icy in the a.m. but rain melted it all. So, out to feed the feral cats. We then went in the drizzle to Salem ( about 20 miles to the north of us ) to my Vet so we could get Bill his medicine. On the way back, because a car had been coming up closer than I thought should, I put on my turn signal a mite sooner that I normally do.

Lots of shock as I began my turn onto our road. Bam !!! No sound of brakes or anything just the noise and jolt. Finished my turn and pulled over. Very apologetic young man. We called the police ( no one hurt but needed an accident report ) and it was fairly clear what happened. Onward home with a fair size just up from my back bumper. Tail light damaged, tail pipe pushed further under the car than it should be and assorted scratches on my car, along with other issues which will need repair but I have descriptive limits for it. $2,100.00 and change -- if they don't have to put on a new muffler/tail pipe assembly. I told the guy to straightened if he could as a new one is $1,100.00 just on its own. Wow !!! I knew parts are costly, but it is sort of out of sight here.

Thought we were all set but I noticed that the police had not listed the other guy's insurance company though they put mine down. So when I called my company lo and behold I find they are not showing the other guy to have insurance at this time. The man during his apology assured us his Ins. would take care of everything so we just assumed he actually had Ins.

The police report turned out to have incorrect information on it so we went to the dealership where we bought the car ( though it seemed impossible ) to see if the "car owner" portion of our part of the report had been totally taken care of when we bought the car. They assured us it had and in checking the vin number found that it went to a Ford Focus or something. I have a Chevy Equinox.

So, once we knew it was clear from the dealer side we had to go to the police dept. and have them re-do our side of the report to reflect WE actually owned the car. So, it was a gray day full of frustrations, missed meals and medications and what seemed like endless phone calls. Today will be much, much better.

Still, I have guarded my car as much as possible and hate that it has a big gaping hole in the back. Of course it will get fixed, but till then I won't be doing all that I might do. I'll just try not to 'look' too often. Grrr. My Insurance company will be going after the guy to get reimbursement for the repairs and car rental for me ( when my car which is quite drivable ) for the three days it will take to have it repaired.

So that was yesterday but today is fresh and new and it will be a good day.

Feb 21, 2019 10:21AM MCBaker wrote:

Sorry about your yesterday. Looks like you took care of everything as soon as you could, which is good. Often I don't.

My personal motto is, "Maintain a positive attitude." There are times that I isolate, so as to not show negativity to others, which is cheating. Busy afternoon.

Feb 22, 2019 08:47AM IllinoisLady wrote:

You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. -Amy Carmichael

Feb 22, 2019 08:58AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Oops, gray out this morning and I think maybe a shower, but that is more likely in the evening hours. Seem to be staying in a pattern of often getting the falling moisture after daylight starts to ebb. Should be able to work on some finalization of work on my car and some other projects that keep getting pushed to the bottom of the list. Hopefully we will do some ( a couple at least ) of these things.

Otherwise, not a lot going on. I'll have to run to the store at some point. Watch our Walmart. Haven't been back into the new ( close to our house ) Dollar General Store. Since I go to town daily to feed the feral cats I've kept my eye on it, as well as at other times I may be passing it. Seems so far to have enough business. I did hear some time back that these type of stores are the coming thing and should be expected. I'm presuming convenience. They are/can be higher on some things. Since I don't frequent those types of stores as much as Walmart and our local IGA I am not highly aware of anything but the pet foods being higher. Also there are some 'weird' brands of pet food. Since I've used what I use and have some pets with issues I just don't stroll the pet isles at any of 'those' stores. Already know they are much higher.

Hope you all have a really good Friday.

Feb 22, 2019 01:38PM Wren44 wrote:

I enjoy the Dollar store close to DS. I won't buy any food there, however. I just don't trust that it's the real thing at that price. The one by him has everything for $1.00. If you ever get a chance, visit a Daiso store. It's a Japanese store where almost everything is $1.50. All kinds of things you've never seen and can't figure out what they're for. DD's husband is Asian and they shop sometimes at a store where 3/4th of the canned goods have no English on the labels. I guess they go by the photos. They like that you can pick out a fish and they'll cook it for you and their vegetables include lots of Asian types not available in other stores.

Evil weathermen here are saying it might snow again. Grrrr.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Feb 22, 2019 01:53PM IllinoisLady wrote:

We also have a Dollar store and Dh tried some of their frozen food. He didn't like it and like you Wren I'd like to pay less for anything I buy if possible but I am skeptical of some items and that food is just too low. I do know that a lot of their items ( candy, chips etc. ) come in smaller sizes. Depending, that is okay with me as I tend to overdo the more I like something. There are a few name brand type things there. I'm thinking in some cases though they might be especially designated for stores like the Dollar Store. I had some Glad containers and struggle every time to get the lids on. So, while I can always find a couple of things there, I usually go to the Dollar General. The Dollar store is right next to Goodwill which is its slight claim to fame for me -- if I'm feeling like I don't want to stop at a lot of stores. I'll try and find it there if it is not too much of an item.

Feb 22, 2019 09:28PM Wren44 wrote:

We have a Goodwill store a few blocks away and the parking lot is always packed.

Most of Seattle is doing the "no snow, no snow" dance. The lives of the rest are in danger.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Feb 23, 2019 01:22AM MCBaker wrote:

aldi's is best for cheap grocery shopping. Best to get everything you can get at aldis' then go on to walmart to finish up the list.

Feb 23, 2019 09:07AM IllinoisLady wrote:

If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy,
if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you,
if the simple things in nature have a message you understand,
Rejoice, for your soul is alive.
- Eleanora Duse

Feb 23, 2019 09:25AM - edited Feb 23, 2019 09:44AM by IllinoisLady

Going to be 60 degrees today so it will rain and it is I think a sure thing that it will pour a lot of it down during the daylight hours. Our water table must be something. Fingers crossed all the trees stay in the ground. I'll like the temp. but not the abundant moisture raining down. Won't even mention hating the gray.

We do have an Aldi's here. In fact about four yrs. ago they bought some nearby land and built a new store. We go there a whole lot. I love the fresh fruit and veggie section of the store. I buy quite a bit there. There are some things ( found elsewhere ) that I can't seemed to do without. I like certain bathroom toilet tissue and just can barely tolerate any other kind. Still, my Aldi dislikes are few. In fact I refuse to get my crackers anywhere else. The crackers I like at Aldi's ( closest anyone else sells ) are like Townhouse buttery crackers.

Every time ( its been a long time actually, since I found the Aldi crackers ) I came home from say Walmart with crackers they were mainly all broken up. Very unsatisfactory since I often put egg or ham salad on crackers. So surprised when the ones at Aldi's seldom are in pieces and even then usually just a small edge. They Aldi's, also have a Chicken Salad with cranberries and almonds that I get all the time. They are for sure an outstanding store.

That Daiso store sounds like it would be a great experience. This town is too small, but I may go online next time I'm going up by Fairview Hts. and see if they might have one around there. Fairview is about 70-75 miles west of us and is where people tend to go who have a serious shopping plan. It is blocks of shopping though most people here have favorite stores like TJ Max or Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Feb 23, 2019 09:27AM MCBaker wrote:

Wish we had "like" buttons.

Feb 23, 2019 11:48AM - edited Mar 18, 2019 07:31PM by jo6359

This Post was deleted by jo6359.
Dx 1/29/2018, DCIS, Right, Stage 0 Dx 1/29/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Feb 23, 2019 09:44PM psugirl wrote:

MCBaker— cleaningforareason.org offers free cleaning services to chemotherapy patients. Good luck on your journey!

Dx 7/16/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/31/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 8/28/2018 Radiation Therapy 9/12/2018

Feb 24, 2019 03:37AM - edited Feb 24, 2019 03:41AM by MCBaker

Doc says it is just a few weeks longer, and strength and stamina will increase once I am off Taxol, just wait. Recovery will be faster because I am going to gym. I have put the message out, and hope to get some help with it just once, maybe a high school girl. He also gave me permission to detox with a dry sauna in about five weeks, just before my first solo herceptin.

Feb 24, 2019 08:43AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Walking exercises the whole person. It exercises the body-- it gives the arms and legs a workout. It stimulates the flow of blood; expands the lungs. It is gentle and relaxing. It exercises the mind-- it shakes up the brain cells. It fills them with oxygen; drives out the cobwebs. A famous scientist says he does his best thinking on the two miles of sidewalk between his home and office.
Walking exercises the emotions. It gives you a chance to observe and enjoy the world. Open your eyes to beauty. See the homes, the trees, the gardens. See the shining faces of little children. Listen for the church chimes, singing birds and the laughter of happy people.

Wilferd A. Peterson

Feb 24, 2019 09:07AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wow !! Picked out a quote just when MC talked about being in the gym. When I read through my quotes in the a.m. to choose one -- I usually pick one that 'talks' to me right then. I'm often amazed when it seems to match to something being said on one of the blogs I put it on.

We have the Rec Center here with a gym room and indoor walking track. My best exercise has pretty much always been walking. If I can walk long enough, my physical body feels better but also often problems that have puzzled me or felt upsetting seem to just fade out and leave a good solution and the ability to not feel wrung out over what may be happening.

Overnight and after the rain of yesterday the wind came up pretty good. Our deck is once again filling up with leaves. I was able yesterday afternoon ( 60 degrees and a good dry spell for a bit ) to vacuum out my car, and wash upholstery, scrub floor mats, and reapply Armor-All on all the surfaces that were washed like dash and all the seals and inner doors. All this in prep for when the car goes to the shop. Hopefully the latest rain got it a little cleaner. I could do the windows, but only if we get a nicer day then today. I usually can't go over my car well till closer to Spring but yesterday was so nice and I really dislike the idea of being thought something of a slob about my car. I suppose I should pick a time ( and maybe list of chores ) for the detail shop we have here and make some winter car cleaning ( mainly interior ) something that I just do at specific points so it doesn't get so awful.

Back to looking nice and not smelling like stale mud. I'm really glad Dh gave me the Weather-Tek floor mats ( just the front ) because they really save my interior. They do ( un-like that great commercial ) need to be scrubbed with a brush. Our dirt here is clay and unfortunately abundant. No rinsing like the ad, real work has to take place to clean them.

Always a great thing when chemo gets to end. That sorts of sends a good signal too that all-over mending can bring lots of positive things back. I loved knowing I would not have to make the 150 mile round trip to get more chemo which stole my starch. A boost to the inner spirt for sure.

I hope you all have a great Sunday.

Feb 24, 2019 01:45PM Wren44 wrote:

We went to the garden show yesterday. Many people left with a cross between a broom and a rake made out of wood. It's for getting leaves off uneven surfaces like patios and walk ways. They were using dry leaves though. I'd like to see what it can do with wet leaves. It's really hard to get them up while they're dry here.

I was lucky not to need chemo, but I can appreciate how wonderful it must be to have it end. A sauna sounds like a good way to wash it out.

Feb 25, 2019 09:59AM IllinoisLady wrote:

What do we live for if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? -George Eliot

Feb 25, 2019 10:14AM IllinoisLady wrote:

We skipped our Home & Garden show this year. I guess a combination of broke, weather and tired. Not sure which one really was the deciding factor. We do like to go usually. Your broom rake sounded interesting. Guess I'd have to see it in action ( at home mainly ) as we have wooden walkways as well as cement. The wooden walkway curves and slopes slightly, so I think interesting. Then immediately on either side if the yard and grass. I've come to feel nothing makes it easier. We find some way of either using blowers to move tons of leaves into the ravines on either side of our property, or as was the case last yr. just mulch them all in place.

So, we will be mulching in early Spring. Dh had just had his back surgery and my cousin's Dh had eye surgery. In between nursing and other duties ( though we both tried ) neither Mary, nor I could get anything substantial done with either of our yards this past Fall. So, Spring will have a new feature -- we will be doing work that usually takes place in Fall.

Sun today and slightly warmer temps. They won't last, but the sun is sure nice. Yesterday was so windy that it was uncomfortable to spend much time outside. Deck sweeping to remove leaves today. Dh will be chomping at the bit to get his truck out of the shop. Sure hope it is ready. I have to fit in taking him to the garage just about every morning. I think his plan is -- show up as much as possible and they will get it done out of self defense as they are tired of his nagging presence. Sigh !! He is like that. May not say much but the heavily disappointed scowl says volumes.

Hope you all with have a beautiful day.

Feb 25, 2019 10:44AM MCBaker wrote:

My button-down shirts now button down all the way with some extra room at the bottom! I made several of them early last fall, not knowing how much I would appreciate them. I need to go to the gym today and consult with a trainer. The guy in charge got me started, but I will feel more comfortable with a female trainer, and she has been watching me. I need to do more core work-- note the first sentence.

I really don't want to go outside today, but I must make it to the gym.

They had warnings out last night to stay at home and off the roads. Drifts three feet high forming in just a few hours. They abandoned smaller roads.

I had some rough, dry spots on my arms. I have been putting coconut oil on them daily, they broke out red, now they are healing. I had some callouses on my feet that are responding well to an occasional loofah rub, and a wart on one of my fingers that is disappearing. Took a cruise on google, and the chemo is responsible for the wart's fading. I wonder about the rest.

I like to sew with the same pattern over and over, once I find one I like. I made seven chemo turbans from the same pattern, two of which I will be giving away. I have one more to make of a different color for myself. The basket at the cancer center takes caps and stuff that have not been worn, so I will probably use the rest of the fabric to make them for there. Those that have been worn go to another place. I discovered that solid colors are better than prints for most outfits. I am uncomfortable without anything on my head.

Feb 26, 2019 09:51AM IllinoisLady wrote:

When humility enters our souls, we are at last able
to perceive that we do not live alone in the world
but with millions of brothers and sisters, and that hidden
in the heart of each is the same animating spirit.

U.S. Anderson

Page 1124 of 1,132 (33,946 results)