We are 220,518 members in 81 forums discussing 155,810 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 04:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1128 of 1,152 (34,538 results)

Posts 33811 - 33840 (34,538 total)

Mar 7, 2019 05:05AM MCBaker wrote:

Tissue expanders and temporary implants are the same thing. It is an easy go-to for those who have word-finding problems.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Mar 7, 2019 07:01AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There is a sacredness in tears.
They are not the mark of weakness,
but of power.
They speak more eloquently
than ten thousand tongues.
They are messengers of
overwhelming grief ...
and unspeakable love.
- Washington Irving

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 7, 2019 07:14AM jo6359 wrote:

Approximately 90% of my shopping is done online. When it comes to shoes and dresses for special occasions I prefer shopping at brick-and-mortar facilities. Especially when it comes to shoes because I need to try them on. We have plenty of shopping malls hear both low-end and high-end. Most of the time I don't want to bother because of parking. There has been a definite decline in shoppers but strangely enough parking remains a nightmare at these malls.

Dx 1/29/2018, DCIS, Right, Stage 0 Dx 1/29/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 2/15/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/15/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/15/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 7, 2019 07:27AM carolehalston wrote:

I'm surprised the skinny leg pants, which have been around a few years, are still such a dominant fashion. I managed to find two pairs of jeans with reasonable fit in the legs yesterday. I was puzzled that the blouses were so long and voluminous, like short dresses, until it dawned on me that they were designed to wear with the skinny leg pants.

I'm not a recreational shopper and don't consider myself a skilled shopper. For me clothes have to be comfortable.

This morning we're off to the gym.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 7, 2019 07:35AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I don't like to shop too much at all, but that means I'm not inclined to do it on line either. I have laughed a lot of times at some of my failures that actually started early in life ( teen-age yrs. ) like failing boy-girl flirting and dating. I was a now and then -- mostly then dater. I flunked make-up as well. Clothes were pretty much the same story. I never quite got the hang of it. Not sure when I accepted this faucet of myself, but life got so much better after I did. All the things I dreamed of went ahead and happened, and I didn't need to have the success that my class-mates and friends had early.

So, I avoid a lot of shopping. I don't mind window shopping with someone else ( friend or family ) as I always enjoy seeing what they like and their comments about choice possibilities and eventual selections. Sometimes I even find something I like -- but even then it usually doesn't go all that well with what I have in my closet at home. I'm more inclined to get flamboyant about kitchenware when we are in those store areas. I really have to do conversations with my brain silently about not foolishly buying things I'll bring home and not use afterward. I do all right there most of the time now, but big issue a few yrs. back.

I do have to try on shoes as for my height I've always had short/wide feet. Always difficult to find shoes wide enough that don't come up too far over the top of my foot ( unless its a tennis type shoe ) so I've never even considered that as an online purchase. My cousin ( proof that what you don't know seems to work out better ) bought me some Bear Paws ( winter type boots ) and they fit perfectly. Had I tried to do it for myself I'd have likely sent them back two or three times.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 7, 2019 11:10AM Wren44 wrote:

I used to sew a lot of my clothes. I was a travel agent for 20 years and always packed carry on, so I had a wardrobe that mixed and matched. It hurts my neck to sew now. I wish I could because then I could get what I wanted and it would coordinate.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Mar 7, 2019 11:43AM jo6359 wrote:

Wren- whether I'm traveling for 3 days or 3 weeks I only take carry-on luggage . It is somewhat of a challenge when I'm traveling to cold weather cities. I tend to carrymy jacket on the plane. It has taught me creative ways of packing. As you said on the above post a lot of mix and match. I admire people who can sew. I am not one of them.

Dx 1/29/2018, DCIS, Right, Stage 0 Dx 1/29/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 2/15/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/15/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/15/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 7, 2019 03:58PM nanette7fl wrote:

Sending you all some Springtime. This is my koi pond

~Nanette Dx 10/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 12/4/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/4/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/28/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 4/1/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 6/29/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Mar 7, 2019 04:53PM jo6359 wrote:

nanette-beautiful

Mar 7, 2019 05:23PM Wren44 wrote:

Thanks, we need it here. Snow this morning - very light where I live but more at higher elevations..

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Mar 7, 2019 05:23PM karen1956 wrote:

I'm an online shopping gal!! Even with shoes - but of course I only buys styles/brands that I know how they fit....sometimes I will go to the store to try them on and then order....Amazon, eBay, Lands End, Eddie Bauer (both only on sale for winter coats)....My younger daughter also shops online -

Beautiful flowers.

I'm learning to pack lighter, but can't seem to manage a carry on alone for a month - When I go visit my younger daughter half my luggage is filled with stuff for her!!!

Not looking forward to the time change - I like the length of day about this time of year - sure wish they would pick one and not do the change twice a year.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Mar 7, 2019 05:59PM jo6359 wrote:

karen- I'm with you regarding the time change. Pick one and stick with it.

Mar 8, 2019 07:05AM carolehalston wrote:

My wisteria is starting to bloom, too. My neighbor's bridal wreath shrubs have been clouds of white blooms for more than a week. And the azaleas are also starting to bloom. Spring is definitely here.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 8, 2019 07:27AM IllinoisLady wrote:

People have had to make up for their spiritual impoverishment by accumulating material things. When spiritual blessings come, material blessings seem unimportant. As long as we desire material things this is all we receive, and we remain spiritually impoverished.

Peace Pilgrim

Mar 8, 2019 07:43AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Those welcome flowers are quite a sight -- for weary of winter eyes. Nanette, they look orchid like almost. We are having little pellet crystals -- not quite sleet, and then it will turn to rain this a.m. A couple of yucky days and then the weather will turn to warmer daytime temps. Spring-like temps. Well, I'm sure it will have me looking up at the trees trying to catch the first little outcropping on any of the limbs announcing the long awaited disappearance of winter. Hopefully, not too much rain and I can get my mower out and start mulching last falls leaves again. I made that little start during a warmer, dryer period because I just couldn't wait to try out the new mower that worked just fine. Will be so easy for me to start.

Happy to report I got my car back yesterday. Marvelous. There was a 'light' on for a bit but after a few times of stopping and re-starting the engine it went out so I think/hope the computer was re-adjusting after the repairs. I'm so happy to have it back. Being tall, and actually Dh being sort of short we both have issues with newer sedans. We don't like that we have to sit DOWN into the car. In our Equinox we slide in staying about even as we get in. We continue to sit up, rather than lowering ourselves into a sedan. Gives me a sense of a small amt. of claustrophobia I think about being there. Dh also feels he is sitting too low. And even though he is shorter than I am, he has trouble getting in and out too. Despite liking the experience I guess were we to need another car it likely won't be a sedan.

I like the time change, though I don't like having to change. I like the extra hour at the end rather than at the beginning. Since my energy comes early, having some day light time to sit outside on the deck, or slowly finish a project from earlier makes me feel more productive and feeling like I don't have to rush in a small area of time to get things done while my energy level is higher.

I hope you all have a great day with thoughts of Spring hiding just around the corner.

Mar 9, 2019 07:22AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Power isn't control at all--power is strength, and giving that strength to others. A leader isn't someone who forces others to make him stronger; a leader is someone willing to give his or her strength to others that they may have the strength to stand on their own.

Beth Revis

Mar 9, 2019 07:35AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Oh wow !! Today it is due to get into the 60's ( here comes those warmer temps ) but it is gray outside and will rain. Said morning, but it also said wind which is not here yet. So, wondering if it is the wind ( often is ) that will bring the rain. There will be fog too from the fast warm-up coming on. So -- going to be some day here. I haven't much planned. Have enjoyed being able to not have to deal with what felt like constant details since my car was damaged and though I've already mentioned it I am so glad to have it back.

I always chuckled a bit when hearing about my elders wanting things to stay the same and not liking new things ( the old Absorbine Jr. ) but now I am an elder and I identify almost wholly with these things. I do miss Absorbine Jr. that really works and even the old Mercurochrome. It burned like fire, but when young my idea was that anything the burned like that had to be killing all those trillions of germs. All just to say it is nice to have all the cleaning things in the back of my car and my air tight container with feral cat food. It just feels right.

I hope you all have a marvelous Saturday.

Mar 9, 2019 08:19AM jo6359 wrote:

Another beautiful day. I just climbed 38 flight of stairs for the American Lung Association. This year my time was 9 minutes. At the same time last year I was completing my second round of chemo. Unfortunately each year my time is slower. When I first started doing this climb 15 years ago my time was almost 2 minutes faster than today. Each year a few seconds has been added on. I feel fantastic. Now I'm headed home to shower and to go to work. This evening I'm going to rest and work in my garden.

Mar 9, 2019 09:13AM Wren44 wrote:

Jo, You go girl. Fantastic achievement. I could probably do 4 stories.

Mar 9, 2019 11:12AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I second Wren -- way to go Jo. I don't do stairs too well so I'm envious -- of anyone who does. I can walk and jog a little although I don't out here where we walk. A lot of uneven ground and different surfaces.

Got our rain and oh boy, it's a beaut. Just pours till you almost can't see, then backs off but still raining. It will be VERY wet here all day long. So, didn't take kitty food out. It would just mush if left in even the outside dampness. Haven't seen the fog back here in the woods -- maybe on the highway. This is a good day to stay inside, work, and then maybe watch a couple of good movies. Lazy sounds like something to do today.

Mar 9, 2019 02:17PM pingpong1953 wrote:

The five feet of snow we have piled up is just beginning to thaw in the sunshine and now we're getting another 6 inches tonight. Spring will come, right?

Dx 4/12/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/2/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/4/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/7/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/26/2018 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right

Mar 9, 2019 05:58PM nanette7fl wrote:

oh pingpong!! MORE snow?? Omg you poor thing. Sending you thoughts of spring, sunshine and warmer weather!!

~Nanette Dx 10/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 12/4/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/4/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/28/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 4/1/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 6/29/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Mar 9, 2019 08:56PM jo6359 wrote:

pingpong- I can't believe it. More snow! Spring will be there soon.

Mar 9, 2019 10:03PM - edited Mar 10, 2019 01:20AM by ChiSandy

Wet, wet, wet all day here--started in the high 20s and climbing steadily. We're at the day's high--43--and going up. Jo, I am in awe--even with "bionic" knees, I can make 6 flights at most (panting and sweating). Nanette, a koi pond? Gorgeous! (Here in Chicago it would be an ice rink for Munchkins).

I like to shop, but not necessarily for clothes & shoes. Whatever I try on, I am convinced I look dumpy in it compared to my street clothes (even jeans & T-shirt). Then when I get it home to actually wear, I am quite pleasantly surprised. Of course, by then I'm wearing the right shoes & accessories and haven't spent hours schlepping from store to store with sweaty hair. For shoes, I generally buy in person, especially dress or walking shoes. If I want them in a different color, then I order from Zappos. (Same with bras--I buy one in person after being fitted, and then order that size in a different color more cheaply. (Exception is ThirdLove, which is online-only and always fits perfectly). I have less luck with clothes online, since usually they don't look anything like they do on the websites and more often than not just don't fit or flatter me.

And I am one of those people for whom skinny pants and long tunics are a good look and quite comfy. The tunics hide my gut; and I am short enough that wide or even straight-leg pants make me look stumpy. Perhaps if my calves get fat I might change my mind, but thus far they're the last part of my figure to "go." (Even my thighs could be worse).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 10, 2019 07:31AM jo6359 wrote:

Sandy- I use Zappos when I am ordering shoea for my clients. They carry shoes for the hard to fit feet. Great customer service.

Mar 10, 2019 07:33AM IllinoisLady wrote:

It's difficult to develop a strong sense of self, to have a very secure self-image when the parameters offered by a value system are lacking. Our values define who we are. They offer us direction when making choices. They quietly demand that we behave responsibly. Living in concert with our values brings peace to our souls.

Karen Casey

Mar 10, 2019 07:44AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Driving rain in the morning yesterday, and a few times thereafter actually turned to sun in the late afternoon. I was amazed. We have sun today as well. It will get up to 51 which is about 10 degrees cooler than yesterday. I'm just glad that rain in un-likely today. Seems like we started winter with a lot of rain and we are still having it. Sigh !! Who knows anymore. This weather thing was a lot more predictable when we first came back home in '97. I recall sitting on our front stoop at almost 9 p.m. and able to read w/o any other than the day light outside.

So welcome to daylight savings time this a.m. We waited till this morning to change our clocks. It is for me an intro to Spring. I would rather have DST extended to all yr. long. It was done some yrs. back ( don't recall the reasoning but think it was something having to do with farming ) but I think only the one yr. It is a pain. The good thing -- my car clock will once again be correct. Dh never changed that this past Fall. It is tricky a bit, and he didn't take the time to find instructions in the manual. Guess you can tell our age by some of the things we have to 'look' up every yr. now instead of just doing it.

I hope you are all going to have a marvelous Sunday first DST day.

Mar 10, 2019 08:48AM carolehalston wrote:

Jo, I'm impressed!

Mar 10, 2019 11:33PM - edited Mar 10, 2019 11:34PM by ChiSandy

My phone, watch, bedside clock, computer, iPad and our entertainment electronics reset automatically; I have to do the range, microwave and coffeemaker clocks manually. When I was a kid, I loved the change to Daylight Saving Time because of the later sunsets, and felt sad when it changed back to Std. Time because it got dark early. Never gave a second thought to gaining or losing an hour of sleep till I got much older. I remember Std. time began the last Sun. in Oct. and Daylight switched over the last Sun. in April. Then during the 1973-4 oil shortages, we had Daylight start in Jan., and it was super-dark much later in the a.m. but sunsets were late enough that kids didn't have to walk home from school, or drivers in the pm rush hour, in the dark. I forget when the current schedule began (Std. the first Sun. after Halloween and Daylight the second Sun. in March). But it seems "Standard" isn't so "standard" any more, as more of the year we're in Daylight Saving Time.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 11, 2019 07:14AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength--carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.

Corrie Ten Boom

Page 1128 of 1,152 (34,538 results)