We are 223,501 members in 82 forums discussing 157,287 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 8, 2009 09:29AM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1166 of 1,168 (35,023 results)

Posts 34951 - 34980 (35,023 total)

Oct 3, 2019 12:20AM carolehalston wrote:

Mac, so sorry about your second bout with bc. Good luck with your treatment.

Well, plans have changed again. Back to the original plan with visits on the way home.

It's quite cold here today. I got up shortly before 8 am and turned on the heat pump and the coffee pot. Then jumped back into bed under the warm covers.

Wishing everyone a good Wednesday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 3, 2019 12:41AM cassiecanada wrote:

Mac5- Very sorry to hear that the cancer is back- very shocking for you- It is something that sadly, all of us are aware can happen- the fear and uncertainty is a constant to varying degrees- almost like a waiting game as we all are dealing with percentages versus “ cure”- to which we know there isnt one- Having said that, I hope that the followups from your first encounter have given you a headstart in this new fight- head off the beast, so to speak- keep us posted- we are thinking of you

Oct 3, 2019 12:50AM carolehalston wrote:

I forgot to share that dh and I went for a long leaf peeping drive yesterday. Some of the forest scenes are quite lovely with a lot of vibrant yellows and oranges and occasional reds. We drove on some unfamiliar unpaved roads where the forest on each side was quite close. Surprisingly, we didn't see a single deer or bear. The tree population is divided between deciduous and evergreen.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 3, 2019 04:10AM IllinoisLady wrote:

No photo description available.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 3, 2019 05:27AM Yogatyme wrote:

Illinois-LOVE your post!!

Yogatyme Dx 7/19/2019, IDC: Papillary, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/13/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 3, 2019 11:28PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Compassion is the basis of all truthful relationship: it means being present with love--for ourselves and for all life, including animals, fish, birds, and trees. Compassion is bringing our deepest truth into our actions, no matter how much the world seems to resist, because that is ultimately what we have to give this world and one another. -Ram Dass

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 4, 2019 12:14AM IllinoisLady wrote:

So much cooler today -- maybe 73 or so. I've saved some things I might have done much sooner but I just couldn't see going out for periods ( I'm much more slower and careful out of doors now ) and traversing hot parking lots. While heat doesn't always get to me the lack of any breeze as well as high humidity just made these things I'll do seem tedious and pretty un-desirable.

So here's to far better temps with it sounds like, rain coming slightly before or on the week-end. Sure can use that. We are thin on the lawn now and dusty and dirty everywhere. My can is icky -- but I may wait to wash just before the rain to avoid dirty rivulets and other indicators that I tried to let the rain do it. The car wash is $6.00 so is not a bad investment. I just hope any settled dirt and dust can stay that way for awhile.

Leaves are finding their way to the ground here and it is evident that work will have to begin for mulching before they get too deep. Maybe we will try to wait for the rain in hopes of not creating our personal dust bowl.

Think of all of you and wishing you well.

Oct 4, 2019 12:46AM carolehalston wrote:

Good morning, all. Hope you have a good Thursday. Had to think a moment to make sure I have the right day.

Oct 4, 2019 02:25AM Maggie007 wrote:

Day # 9 after chemo, feel better today, stomach is still sore, feels like I have been doing sit-ups, my marble size turmor is half the size no longer round, chemo is working, stopped by the beauty shop all going well, so blessed,my working family is the best!! Love them,, y’all have a blessed day!! Hugs we got this!!

Dx 8/28/2019, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/23/2019 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Surgery 1/4/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal

Oct 4, 2019 06:10AM ChiSandy wrote:

Wow, Maggie, your neoadjuvant chemo is working fast! Hope you get to PCR ("pathological complete response") soon.

Jackie, it's all the way up to 65 now--5 degrees higher than predicted. So the green 'maters remain on the vine. Lake Shore Drive was closed from downtown to its north end all the way up here, due to severe viaduct flooding. (Several cars were submerged).

Had only 4 hrs. sleep last night--went to bed at 3, after taking my CBD & melatonin at 2, and 2 drops of CBN-blend sleep tincture at bedside. Tossed and turned for THREE hours--without earplugs, Bob's snoring (and now coughing--he refuses to see a colleague or Urgent Care, and had pneumonia in the past) kept me awake. But with earplugs, my "pulsatile tinnitus" (which I get only when lying down) was driving me nuts. Sounds like someone repeatedly sticking a shovel into cat litter, or marching on crunchy snow. My BP (I test it daily) was high normal. Then I got a nasty throat tickle, so I gave in and took cough medicine, and when I got back to bed loosened the earplugs a little. Just as I was about to drift off at 6:30...Bob's alarm went off. Finally fell asleep and had four hours of decent dreaming...but was awakened by both Heidi wanting to knead my chest and then horrible R foot (mainly toe) cramps. Vowing to nap later, I stumbled downstairs, back sore...to discover that the only night meds I'd taken were the CBD oil and melatonin (which I take first so they'll kick in while I put my night and morning pills in their respective shot glasses). D'OH! No Xanax, Baclofen nor Zyrtec last night. Must have gotten distracted by hungry kitties before I could down my night pillls. No wonder I couldn't sleep and my back was sore! I'd also laid off the Lasix the last few days, so that (and lack of the potassium I occasionally take the night before) may have contributed to the pulsing. Gotta see an ENT about that--or maybe have Bob listen to my carotids in case he hears a "bruit" that warrants cardiological investigation.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 4, 2019 06:34AM Maggie007 wrote:

ChiSandy, I know that sounds crazy, but if it hadn’t been for the marble tumor, I would have never scheduled a mammogram or ultrasound, I have very dense breast, the other mass I have feels like it always has, I was shocked when the radiologist said he needed to biopsy it,both breast feel the same, so I’m thankful for the marble, and it’s fading,,

Dx 8/28/2019, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/23/2019 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Surgery 1/4/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal

Oct 4, 2019 08:08AM MCBaker wrote:

"...to discover that the only night meds I'd taken were the CBD oil and melatonin (which I take first so they'll kick in while I put my night and morning pills in their respective shot glasses). D'OH! No Xanax, Baclofen nor Zyrtec last night. Must have gotten distracted by hungry kitties before I could down my night pillls."

Sandy, been there, dun' that. Not fun. But where would we be if it weren't for modern medicine? Oh......

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Oct 5, 2019 12:14AM Maggie007 wrote:

Oct 5, 2019 12:16AM IllinoisLady wrote:

"A life of spirit, regardless of what path you choose,

begins with a person's acceptance

that they are part of something

larger than themselves."

~ Mark Nepo

Oct 5, 2019 11:43PM LoveDals wrote:

good morning all....2.5 weeks post BMX and I am feeling really good except for the invisible needles that continually assault my chest. Doctor says it I normal and take ibuprofen regularly, while promising it will subside. Final pathology came in. No surprises on the left - Paget's and DCIS. And, drum roll please, negative lymph nodes. Right side was harboring LCIS but it too is now gone. So here I am, boobless and yet surprisingly OK with that. Ready to add so physical activity to my life but still way too hot here to be outside.

Dx 2/1993, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, 0/25 nodes Dx 3/2013, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 7/2019, Paget's, Left, Stage 0 Surgery Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Oct 6, 2019 12:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

LoveDals -- Good for you. When we do what we can to eliminate disease and get a good path report on it, we have hope and satisfaction that we have done what we needed to attain previous wellness. Nice to see as well that we are us rather than our body parts. Good for you and continued successful healing and wellness. Yay !!

Oct 6, 2019 12:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Life is an exercise in the development of feeling. When we repress feelings, we become sour and judgmental. When we live awash in great feeling over small things, we become jaded long before we have even begun to enjoy. When feelings are in balance they sweeten long days and great distances with gratitude and hope. -Joan Chittister, Seeing with Our Souls

Oct 6, 2019 12:53AM Betrayal wrote:

LoveDals:

Glad to to hear your recovery is going well.

Dx 1/7/2016, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 6, 2019 01:06AM carolehalston wrote:

LoveDals, after my bilateral mx with immediate reconstruction, I had strange sensations that eventually went away. One was feeling warmth or cold when I swallowed a hot drink or a cold one. I could actually feel the liquid going down my upper chest. I also felt very tight in my chest thanks to the reconstruction. All of this went away or the awareness went away. I remember how I was focused on my bodily sensations. It took about a year to return to "normal."

One great opportunity that bc.org offers is the opportunity to visit and communicate with other women going through the same stages. Every day I posted on a discussion forum with women who had the same surgery and reconstruction. Other people, even our family members, can't empathize, as much as they might wish to be supportive and understanding. Good luck to you and we are here to listen and never judge.

Yesterday DH and I played our last round of golf this year in MN with four other die-hard couples. According to Weather Bug it was 45 degrees feeling like 39. It was COLD! Because of the course layout, it was easy to stop after 12 holes. We all had beverages in the club house and then went to dinner at a casual restaurant that serves Mexican food and pizzas.

Today is cold and gloomy. Tomorrow might be the same. Then we have a break on Mon., Tues., and Wed. That will work out great for packing up and leaving on Wed. October weather has not made us sorry to leave. It's supposed to snow next Friday. BRRRR....

Oct 6, 2019 03:44AM mac5 wrote:

Thank you. I’m trying to be focused on fighting back.

Hugs to all

Dx 7/20/2010, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 9/25/2019, LCIS/ILC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Oct 6, 2019 11:48PM IllinoisLady wrote:

However much or little you have,
"Thank You" is always a more powerful prayer than, "I need more."
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Whoever does not regard what he has
as most ample wealth, is unhappy,
though he be master of the world.
- Epictetus

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today.
Have you used one to say "thank you?"
- William Arthur Ward

Oct 6, 2019 11:54PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Well, well. Started the morning by letting out a couple of our cats that like early morning. Just starting to rain so they had to stay in. It seems to have quit for now but overcast so very likely to get some more. I didn't get around to washing my car and still may do it so that I don't end up with Mudmobile. There was a good rain, but not pounding so it wouldn't have taken much of my cars dirt away.

Cooler of course, too which is welcome after the late heat wave which only let up a couple of days ago. So for now -- all good.

Hope you all are enjoying cooler and more pleasant weather for Fall.

Oct 7, 2019 02:29AM Maggie007 wrote:

Mac5 so sorry you have to deal with this again, hugs,

Oct 7, 2019 07:05AM carolehalston wrote:

We accomplished one of our list of "winter-izing" chores today: draining the water out of the ice maker in the refrigerator. It didn't take long. DH knows the process well. While we were dealing with the inside of the refrigerator, we cleaned all the shelves and drawers. I also took inventory of the freezer.

DH accomplished another task on his own. Returning the bikes to the rack on the back of the camper and covering them securely.

Today has been more cheerful for periods of time when the sun peeked out.

Oct 8, 2019 12:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside. -Denis Waitley

Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. -Mother Teresa

One word or a pleasing smile is often enough to raise up a saddened and wounded soul. -Therese of Lisieux

Oct 8, 2019 09:27AM ChiSandy wrote:

Mary, so sorry that you're back on the bc rollercoaster again. Hope it's easier this time around.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 8, 2019 11:56PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Life is made up of a series of challenges designed to bring us to fullness of growth. Meeting them with hope in the future is the real test of the spiritual person.

Joan Chittister

Oct 9, 2019 12:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sandy, I like your new avatar. Great picture as seems to me the darker frames are really becoming.

Had to re-schedule my Ortho appt. in Indiana. Actually works out well for me as I have a Pet Scan tomorrow ( 7 a.m. ). This is for the lung nodule. Instructions on eating -- no starches for 24 hrs. previous to test. I don't see the Pulmonologist until Nov. 14th. but I will get a CD of the results to take with me. That's a long wait, but I do have someone who can look at the CD beforehand if I wish. We will see how I feel when its done and I can resume a less strict diet. Sure glad it is only for 24 hours. I've given up almost ALL deserts since my arm strictly because cooking is a real chore so that has sooo paid off in caloric/wt. department. Apparently I didn't realize how much what seemed like little treats WERE not. I'm amazed.

Glad for your sun Carole making things more cheerful. Our cheer for the day is that we turned on the furnace. Seems odd, but after so much humid hot weather our thermostat was showing 70 this morning, and while had it come a bit more slowly, we likely would have adjusted -- we felt chilled a bit too much. I'm glad because while I'm always it seems warmer than dh, I was chilled too.

Hope you are all going to have a wonderful day.

Oct 9, 2019 04:45AM Wren44 wrote:

We added a blanket last night and it made for cozy sleeping. Even DH kept the covers up around his neck. Very windy and gloomy yesterday. It wasn't colder than it has been, but sure felt that way.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Oct 10, 2019 03:58AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Give yourself the gift of forgiving others,
not because THEY deserve it,
but because YOU deserve the serenity and joy
that comes from releasing resentment and anger.
Unconditional forgiveness is the path to your own inner peace.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Page 1166 of 1,168 (35,023 results)