We are 224,869 members in 82 forums discussing 157,980 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1177 of 1,179 (35,342 results)

Posts 35281 - 35310 (35,342 total)

Nov 29, 2019 06:13AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away. -George Eliot

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 29, 2019 12:28PM petite1 wrote:

Hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving. Seems like some of you have been on this site a long time. I get lost in who's who. I do enjoy the words of encouragement, daily. Loved the cat photo.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/22/2019 Breast

Nov 29, 2019 01:32PM Chevyboy wrote:

Okay, can you guys open this? It's just a little something nice, for some of us gals to look at... Hah! Yes, Cammi, is the wild-one.... I'm more or less the timid one.... more or less... mostly less...

Still so cold here in Denver, and the foot of snow just hangs around... like driving on rutted-dirt roads... the ice and slush just make driving a mess!

Yes Petite! Been here almost 10 years... and doing good.... shut up Cammi!

Heart

https://www.australianfirefighterscalendar.com/

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 29, 2019 02:56PM Wren44 wrote:

Speaking of way too much food. We thought 10 were coming and ended up with 4. One of those is recovering from mouth surgery and could only eat mashed potatoes and gravy and a stuffing made with cauliflower. She managed pie and gelato though.

I'm trying to organize all our kitchen storage. Considering that everything in the frig is in a container, we may be the container queen and king of the northwest. I'm putting containers and lids together, then putting the orphans in a bag since the other part might be in the frig with plastic wrap instead of a lid. When they come out, I can match them and if they don't have a match, out they go. Thank goodness we can recycle plastic here.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Nov 29, 2019 04:14PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Petite, I have been here since 2007 -- not this site/forum since it got started a while after I came on, but I don't know how I would have gotten through w/o being able to spend time with people who had or were having the same pr. of shoes on that I had. It made all the difference to me. At the time I really didn't know anyone with cancer. At least anyone who spoke about it much if at all. I was stunned to find out that soooo many people were actually diagnosed and how many were in proximity ( my state ) to me. If there were that many here I knew they were then everywhere.

A thought to remember -- so many people don't suffer the negative fate, and in fact, recover and do well. Not to be scary but my first thought was I wondered how much time I had left when I was told I definitely had cancer. So having this place, BC. Org gave me such hope and inspiration that I've stayed here and the people here have become in a way my personal treasure, precious for helping me over the hump of fear of outcomes for a disease that now has many good options for much more positive health situations.

Chevy I opened that and saw the kind of men you adore. Well, just to let you in on a little secret. They could sit across the table from me any time they would like.

Wren, sounds like my kitchen. I took one larger type plastic container that didn't have a lid ( actually it was a square dishpan ) and put my lids in it with the containers along side. I thought it was perfect, but lo and behold, how many times I have to return to the pan because the lid that looks like a perfect fit to the container I'm filling up won't fit after all. Not as workable as I thought it would be, but better than it was. Going to have to try to come up with something else or maybe I should match what I can like you and when I'm sure all is 'matched' offload the rest. Tiresome to re-wash lids that touched food but didn't fit. Or maybe I'll keep Chevy's link and just look at firefighters and forget the lid problem complately.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 29, 2019 06:30PM IllinoisLady wrote:

for fun:

Image may contain: text

Nov 29, 2019 07:06PM mac5 wrote:

Hello...

I wish there was a “like” button!

Dx 7/20/2010, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 9/5/2019, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Nov 29, 2019 08:37PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Ah Mac5 -- you have a CVS where you are too. I quit going to CVS. I go to one of the other two in town. I'd tell you who they are ( well one is Byrd Watson ) but it is after 5 p.m. and my thinker tends to conk out now and then when it gets late. It is not much consolation but I can drive right up to it. Since you are in Pennsylvania that won't do us much good to 'discover' who I'm talking about though.

Nov 29, 2019 09:12PM Betrayal wrote:

LOL, that's a good use for those receipts since most of the CVS coupons are for items I have never bought and most likely never will. I just recently learned that they have a code on them that identifies which family member received them when I attempted to use my DH's coupon for my purchase. It took some wheeling and dealing to get them to accept it. What's the difference if I am making a purchase using it? It is still a sale!

Dx 1/7/2016, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 30, 2019 06:48AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Everybody avoids the company of those who are always grumbling, who are full of "ifs" and "buts," and "I told you so's." We like the people who always look toward the sun, whether it shines or not. It is the cheerful, hopeful people we go to for sympathy and assistance; not the carping, gloomy critics,--who always think it is going to rain, and that we are going to have a terribly hot summer, or a fearful thunder-storm, or who are forever complaining of hard times and their hard lot. It is the bright, cheerful, hopeful, contented people who makes their ways, who are respected and admired.
Gloom and depression not only take much out of life, but detract greatly from the chances of winning success. It is the bright and cheerful spirit that wins the final triumph. -Orison Swett Marden

Nov 30, 2019 07:59AM Chevyboy wrote:

They opened a CVS close to our house, so after the "Grand Opening" we went there, and the store was really nice inside, and lots of parking, but the place was almost empty! No customers.... So we looked around, picked up a couple things, and when checking out, she asked if we had their club card... so we could get the sale prices! So no... we didn't, and didn't want one, because the "sale" prices were no better than buying from a plain old Walmart, or Kings! No return date planned....

And don't you hate the ads that say you have to buy 100 of an item to get one free? I mean we can afford stuff, but just don't like the gimmicks and hoops you have to jump through!

It's not that I'm cranky, but we learn where we can buy our stuff, without a lot of hassle, coupons & interference.... Hah!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 30, 2019 10:56AM IllinoisLady wrote:

With you on that Chevy. I seldom bother with coupons at all. There are a few that are okay but around here they seem to be the ones that come from fast food -- where if you buy one you get one free. Otherwise I've noticed as well that in order to redeem a store ( drugstore and sometimes regular meaning non-Walmart stores ) you have to buy enough to last the rest of your natural life. You over-spend wildly. Seems stupid to me. If you buy what you must to redeem you will never have to go back because of your absolute abundance of product. Where is the common sense in that. Coupons come in the Sunday paper but I never look at any but possibly the fast food -- and we don't go all that much there. Sometimes those coupons time out.

Someone somewhere ( mathematician type ) probably used some weird complicated table to figure out how to do coupon offers. Must have been realistic to them and may be good in some organizations that need a lot of product, but I can't see it for single people or couples.

OTOH Hardy's where we never went to a lot after they quit offering fried chicken ( we shouldn't have had too much of that anyway , I know ) in the past few months have a Roast Beef Sandwich. To me it is as good as Arby's. You can get two smaller sandwiches for $5.00 and if you want fries with it that, is extra. If Dh and I are out we do sometimes run by and grab that deal. I love a good roast beef and I get lots of horseradish for it too.

Rained all night here starting with a thunderstorm. Bill ( our Lab ) was not at all happy. Woke up and it was still raining but thunderstorm passed early on I think. Bill was on guard duty in front of my bedroom door so it had been quiet for some time for him to come out of Dh's closet. He is a nice guy -- when it storms he opens his closet door for Bill. We will have more rain today and possibly another thunderstorm -- whenever. I don't plan to go out much, if at all.

Hope you all have a good day and no storms -- rain or snow.

Nov 30, 2019 12:07PM mac5 wrote:

Thanks all...have to laugh about it. :). Nobody wants to listen to me gripe all the time.

Hope you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving! We decided to celebrate with steak instead of Turkey. SIL cooked, all I cooked was a chocolate pie. At least the leftovers are awesome

Dx 7/20/2010, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 9/5/2019, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Nov 30, 2019 02:44PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Mac -- we are here for whatever you need. If its griping go to it. We all take our turns. I gripe when it rains. Not so bad today, but more than one day of rain and I started getting a bit depressed. I need sun -- it did rain all night and I slept through it so not too bad today.

Dec 1, 2019 06:58AM Chevyboy wrote:

Morning gals... Hey Mac.... We really understand. I don't think it's griping as much as it is being scared of the unknown... and sometimes I found I didn't want to talk to my Husband about "things" because he was more afraid than I was... So that kind of calmed me down.... to just relax and not think!

That's why it was a lot easier to talk things over with these gals, who had gone through a lot of the same things I was going through. So you can just grab a cup of coffee, and talk to us about "stuff"....

I've known Jackie since forever ago.... it's like she is my little Sister, so just having support through all your troubles really helps!

Anyway.... It's been so damned cold here! Ice still everywhere.... Maybe get out today.... It's easier to walk around a big store, than walking outdoors... So glad when it warms up a little...

Heart

Dec 1, 2019 07:54AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Something nice to share and I'll be back later with the quote:

https://youtu.be/e6EGQFJLl04

Dec 1, 2019 09:29AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There are no hopeless situations;
there are only men who have grown hopeless about them.
- Clare Boothe Luce

Sometimes good things fall apart
so better things can fall together.
- Marilyn Monroe

Dec 1, 2019 09:51AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Hey, it's morning. No sun and not sure it is coming, but I think hopefully no moisture. Sadly, the moisture that may come tonight ( possibly starting out with a few raindrops ) sounds like it may turn into Monday morning wake-up snow. Yikes -- I'm not ready for that, but then as I've said so often -- its amazing what you can deal with when you have no choice. Mother Nature gets to do as she wants and I have to dutifully follow along. So, if we have a bit of snow, oh well !! I don't think ( temps. may come up okay on Monday ) think it will be much or last long, but it is major guess or maybe strong desire on my part because I don't know.

Still going to hospital to see our friend. She seems better and is moving more and she has been put on a solid foods diet. It was liquid as there was a possibility of surgery which seems to not be needed right now. She will likely soon be transferred to Bounce Back Rehab. Here's hoping it all goes well.

Chevy, do be careful outside. You know we no longer bounce well -- and maybe don't even thud well anymore. Doing an indoor mall walk would be much better.

Haven't heard but thinking lots of online shopping may have been done on Black Friday and less mob scenes in stores. Hope so. I don't online shop much. A couple of things that aren't carried in our stores here. I checked I don't know how many times at our local Walmart and even in the Walmart in some of our surrounding towns for Olay microscrubbing Cleansing Infusion -- crushed ginger. It is not full ( only a slight amt. ) of abrasive beads, and I love the ginger smell which is not at all over-powering either. Interesting that it first turned up in our Walmart but once their 'order' was sold they didn't get anymore and when I asked said they couldn't get anymore. So, I get it myself because I'm seriously hooked. As addict tries to never give up.

I hope you all have a marvelous Sunday.

Dec 1, 2019 01:42PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Something good to remember:

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Dec 1, 2019 01:59PM Wren44 wrote:

Loved the song - and the singer wasn't bad looking either.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Dec 2, 2019 01:59AM kathindc wrote:

I’ll second that!

Love the quote.

Dec 2, 2019 09:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

This quote is a great one to consider with the viewpoint about all the things we need and could repair in a good way such as many of our current issues -- children, schools, welfare/food stamp programs, infrastructure and the criminal justice system.

When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower.
- Alexander Den Heijer

Dec 2, 2019 09:15AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Yay, no snow this morning. I think it just couldn't get cold enough, but I'm not complaining. So, we are actually going to warm up slightly I think for a day or two but we know this time of yr. that doesn't last. A little reprieve to be grateful for along the way of getting through winter. Does make me wonder exactly what we are going to have.

Few errands on my plate this a.m. An extra two that Dh dreamed up and he wants me to do the driving so it will be a busier day than I had planned. Well, that is okay I guess. I sent a note to Anneb as we haven't heard from her in some time. I'm hoping all is well, but if she is having a rough time I don't know that she is even getting on the blog to find a p.m. So, fingers crossed.

Hope you are all going to have a great day. Saying hi to Joan and all the other ladies who don't get to post much either. Stay well.

Dec 2, 2019 12:22PM carolehalston wrote:

Hi from Holland, MI. We’re visiting dh’s cousin Cal and his wife Barb. This afternoon we plan to go downtown and walk around and see the decorations. Browse in some stores. Holland is a pretty town.

Tomorrow we head home. I will be happy to get back to my own little home world. All the visiting tires me out.

Happy Monday

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 2, 2019 05:00PM Puffin2014 wrote:

Fargo officially got 9.3" of snow this weekend, though with the wind and drifting it seems like my driveway and sidewalk got more than that. Using a new snow removal service this year. They came and cleared the majority of the snow and said they'd be back, which they didn't. I finished shoveling what they hadn't, and then spent a couple hours chopping away the compacted layer of snow so it's mostly down to driveway and sidewalk now. I don't like how this winter is starting out.

Dx 5/23/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/16/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/13/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/10/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 2, 2019 05:40PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Carole, I had friends that lived in Holland, Mi. Started out in Traverse City, but found Holland and fell in love. Work did not go well there and ultimately of all places they ended up in a town called Mineral Wells, Texas. Joan never liked it, but coming from Holland and snow country for sure I can understand why.

Puffin, I am with you on the snow. Hate to admit but Christmas Eve and maybe Christmas Day are the times I truly appreciate snow -- but in my older age, not too much at once. I loved the snow when we first came back home in 1997, and though I was in my very early 50's couldn't wait for snow so I could go out and "play" in it. I was so thin when I was young that I spent all winter cold and miserable. By 50 I had put on some wt. and could enjoy being outdoors. At 74 I have 'grown' up again and could do w/o much snow all season. Hope your snow service gets better. Sounds like maybe they were a little overwhelmed maybe.

Dec 2, 2019 07:19PM CindyNY wrote:

Hello from the road! I'm from Albany, NY - same Albany on the national news with 16+ inches of snow and still snowing. We left on Saturday to head to Texas for grandsons 2nd birthday. Then we're off to Fort Myers, FL to our 2nd home. I'm 60, snow is no fun, and I'm very glad I missed it.

We're in Kentucky for the night before heading out in the morning. It's 34 here now. We haven't run into any warm weather yet, so still dressed for the cold in jeans, fleece, w a down jacket as needed.

Our detour from driving. Very nice place, and no samples for me. Hope the weather turns better for everyone. ❤

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 2, 2019 07:38PM mistyeyes wrote:

I live in FL - north of where you are going, it is cold now, but I think it will warm up a bit this weekend.

IDC right- Stage IIA, Grade 3,ER-,PR+,HER2+ Dx 11/15/2016, Right, PR+, HER2+

Dec 2, 2019 10:34PM Beaverntx wrote:

I vote for the little to no snow side! That's why we appreciate moving from Ohio to southern California and then to South central Texas. We did have snow a coup!e of years ago and everyone was taking pictures and texting them it was so unusual for our area.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 3, 2019 07:46AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning. 36 degrees down here in Florida. I have a post radiation follow up with the oncologist, today.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/22/2019 Breast

Page 1177 of 1,179 (35,342 results)