Join Us

We are 216,859 members in 84 forums discussing 160,262 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1178 of 1,240 (37,174 results)

Posts 35311 - 35340 (37,174 total)

Dec 3, 2019 07:48AM petite1 wrote:

mistyeyes, just noticed where you are. Hi, neighbor. LOL small world

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 3, 2019 09:31AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Love people who hate you. Pray for people who have wronged you.
It won't just change their life, it will change yours.
- Mandy Hale

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 3, 2019 12:41PM mistyeyes wrote:

Hi petite1

IDC right- Stage IIA, Grade 3,ER-,PR+,HER2+ Dx 11/15/2016, Right, PR+, HER2+

Dec 3, 2019 09:00PM carolehalston wrote:

We’re in Hayti, MO tonight at the Drury Inn. Tomorrow we hope to finish up the trip by parking in our car port. There were light flurries of snow this morning as we departed Holland.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 4, 2019 05:47AM IllinoisLady wrote:

We plant seeds that will flower as results in our lives, so best to remove the weeds of avarice, envy, and doubt, that peace and abundance may manifest for all. -Dorothy Day
Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 4, 2019 08:13AM Chevyboy wrote:

You would THINK I would be used to snow and cold! Hah! Born and raised here in Denver, but winter-time is getting to be a little harder each year! We don't go out when it is snowing... but we seem to think it is okay, to go out after it's all over... Until we are bumping and grinding over the frozen solid ice ridges on the side-streets!

When it doesn't get above freezing, and the sun thinks it's too cold to stay out, the snow & ice just move around and stay there! And another one coming in tonight?

Daughter said they were cold in Orlando? I asked "what is it, 70"? Nope it was 40.... Hah! So we just hurry into my car, back and forth, and run our stops always before 11... We miss the traffic.

And you know, things hurt in cold weather! Or the atmospheric pressure or whatever!! So I'm ready for spring!

It was 10 years ago TODAY that I went in for that Lumpectomy!!! 10 years !!! I am so thankful.... Gotta go in for that annual mammogram, which always scares me until it's over and you hear "all clear"!! Then I'll go home and celebrate with a chocolate coke!!!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Dec 4, 2019 08:25AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning. Went for the post radiation follow up. 3 possibilities for continued treatment were discussed, Arimidex, Kisqali Femara co-pack and chemo. Anyone on Kisqali Femara co-pack?

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 4, 2019 10:16AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Carole, you are not too far from home if you are in Mo. Likely will be a relief to have made it through all the possibilities of weather along the way.

We never got any real snow here but were prepared for an inch or even two. In this part of Illinois we either get missed or get less. Rare occasion we get more but it is very rare. Guess I'm glad we were missed but honestly I was more concerned since it had been previously raining that we might end up with some ice -- so it ended up fine.

Chevy, I don't know if I could live anywhere that had a lot of snow. With the 'warming' climate I'm not sure we will get the snows that we seemed to have had in the better part of the 21 yrs. we have been back at home here. I'm not sure the dust has settled enough to know if we will reach a plateau at some point that will make our weather as predictable as it seems to have been before. Yay for 10 yrs. huh ! and I'm going to have my fingers and everything else crossed when you go for that mammo. I think none of us here get away w/o apprehension over how those yearly tests are going to turn out.

Petite, I had Arimidex at first but when the generic Anastrozole came on the market I was switched to that. I had o problems with Arimidex, but switching ( and it was likely the carrier portion of the Anastrozole ) caused a little upset for about 3 months. Just when I was ready to revolt, it all settled down so whatever was in the carrier part of the pill my system adjusted to at last. Whew !! Never heard of Kisqali Femara co-pack. I have heard of Femara. Maybe you were given the full name ??

Dec 4, 2019 11:49AM petite1 wrote:

Hi, Illinoislady. It is a combo of Femara and Kisqali. 3 weeks of one and 1 week of the other. I am assuming it is a long duration like Arimidex.

Dec 5, 2019 01:14AM CindyNY wrote:

Petite1 - I had to look it up as I too had never heard of it. I think its a combo used with PR-, based only from what I read. There might be a forum on this site for it. Good luck!

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 5, 2019 08:37AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning. A little warmer, 40 degrees and heavy fog. My CEA results came in, all normal. Yay. I see the PCP, today.

Dec 5, 2019 08:58AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There is transcendent power in example. We reform others subconsciously, when we walk upright. -Ann Swetchine

Dec 5, 2019 09:19AM carolehalston wrote:

Wonderful to wake up in my own bed and go about a familiar winter routine. Turn on the coffee pot, turn up the heat to 70 degrees, swallow a morning med and head for my chair in the living room and turn on my laptop. I took the laptop with me on the Thanksgiving journey but did not get it out of its bag. My new iPhone 10 serves as a computer substitute.

We're off to the gym this morning for much needed exercise. I did NOT step on the bathroom scale this morning. I skipped that part of my morning routine.

Happy Thursday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2019 10:58AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Bright sunny day here and I have a lot to do. I hope I can get a lot of it done. Will visit at the hospital again today. I think my friend will soon ( this afternoon or tomorrow ) be transferred to the Bounce Back wing of the Manor nursing home facility. That is fairly close to where we live though in many ways everything is close since it is a small town. I hope she works hard and does well. I think with the proper help she could live a long time at home as yet. She is just three yrs. older than me. So fingers crossed for her.

Glad to hear your test gave you the good 'negative' results. So onward and upward now.

Yay you are safe at home Carole and can get into the swing of things there once more. I'm with you on the 'my own bed' thing. Hope you have a good workout too.

Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Dec 5, 2019 04:59PM MCBaker wrote:

I rang the bell today!!!

Also went to the Dr. for headache, and he gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant. We think it was sinus x tension. Which is consistent with my past experiences with debilitating headaches.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Dec 5, 2019 05:57PM Wren44 wrote:

Ringing the bell is always lovely! Hope the relaxant helps the headache.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Dec 5, 2019 06:18PM - edited Dec 5, 2019 06:19PM by Beaverntx

MCBaker, congrats on ringing the bell! Hope the headache is better.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 5, 2019 06:29PM IllinoisLady wrote:

I'll add my congrats and hopeful wishes that your meds do the job on the headache. When you feel better it will be celebration time.

Dec 6, 2019 09:13AM carolehalston wrote:

Good news on ringing the bell!

Dec 6, 2019 09:18AM IllinoisLady wrote:

To know that Love alone was the beginning of nature and creature, that nothing but Love encompasses the whole universe of things, that the governing hand that overrules all, the watchful eye that sees through all, is nothing but omnipotent and omniscient Love, using an infinity of wisdom, to save every misguided creature from the works of his or her own hands, and make happiness and glory the perpetual inheritance of all the creation, is a reflection that must be quite ravishing to every intelligent creature that is sensible of it. -William Law

Dec 6, 2019 10:24AM petite1 wrote:

Ringing the bell is a fantastic feeling. Yay

Dec 6, 2019 10:34AM MCBaker wrote:

I know. HugMonday is nipple tat, and I will probably schedule port removal at that time.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Dec 7, 2019 08:53AM carolehalston wrote:

It's overcast and gloomy outside this morning. We're off to the gym.

I want to buy a couple of cards but the Christmas throngs are already out there. I'll probably wait until next week. I dropped by the post office yesterday and there was a line of people with boxes to mail.

Happy Saturday.

Dec 7, 2019 08:59AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Faithfully faithful to every trust,
Honestly honest in every deed,
Righteously righteous and justly just:
This is the whole of the good man's creed.

unattributed

Dec 7, 2019 09:14AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sun is out this a.m. but overnight it was cold so it will take a while to get into our 40's today. It is a mite frosty looking outside though the sun will soon take care of it. I have a slight few things for today. My friend was moved late afternoon day before yesterday to the Bounce Back program at the Mannor. What a surprise -- she is across the hall from my Aunt who is 101 yrs. old. Sounds like Aunt Mackie will be staying on there -- but on the other side when she is released from the re-hab section. Sadly she is getting easily confused these days. She knows her family and can talk about things from way back and even converse all right with her table mates, but having to do things like transfer from wheel chair to recliner leaves her feeling like she can't cope. I am sad, but at 101 after having done so well for so long I can accept the changes.

Christmas seems like it will be fast this yr. We haven't any plans for now. Something could develop but for now we are just staying busy with catch-up things while making some changes here and there. I too have some cards awaiting addresses and a short note. No idea what our 'holiday' weather will be like, but hope it will be good traveling for those who will go somewhere.

Deer are not coming so much to the yard now, but we do see a few usually in pairs or maybe three or so. Most of the trees are bare and the nibbles they were getting is way less. They have all grown much darker in color and blend into the trees much more.

Hope you all have a great Saturday.

Dec 7, 2019 04:59PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wonderful time this afternoon at the Manor. Went to see Aunt Mackie and her daughter and son-in-law were walking in right in front of me. I wasn't paying too much attention ( as usual lost in thought though I have no idea what I was thinking ) and looked up to hear someone say -- hey cousin. I saw the sister of this cousin yesterday so it seems that it is the perfect way to be able to meet up with the cousins.

Later walked across the hall and visited with my friend. She is starting slow, but hopefully will pick up a bit when she gets a schedule for daily re-hab. So, I was there almost three hours. It's a bit much, but nice to only walk across the hall.

Beautiful day today. It is a bit warmer than I thought it would be and glad that I only needed a long sleeve shirt. We will get some cold days because we will have some more rain. Starting to seem like is it going to be a rainy Christmas this yr. Hmm.

Dec 8, 2019 09:34AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Come from the heart, the true heart, not the head. When in doubt,
choose the heart. This does not mean to deny your own experiences
and that which you have empirically learned through the years. It means
to trust your self to integrate intuition and experience. There is a
balance, a harmony to be nurtured, between the head and the heart.
When the intuition rings clear and true, loving impulses are favored.

Brian L. Weiss

Dec 8, 2019 09:41AM carolehalston wrote:

Your talk of visiting in the nursing home brings back memories of all the hours I spent over three years visiting with my mother, Jackie. I sure miss her.

This afternoon we are going to a Christmas concert that is always performed on a high level with a great choir and symphony musicians. Afterwards we plan to go to dinner with another couple.

I had talked of putting up a Christmas tree but the intention is fizzling. There was a time when I bought poinsettias, decorated a tree and had some other decorations but now I think ahead to "undecorating" when Christmas is over and it all seems too much effort.

I bought myself a new iPhone a few weeks ago and I am calling it my Christmas present.

Dec 8, 2019 11:02AM - edited Dec 8, 2019 11:07AM by Chevyboy

When Jackie was talking about the nursing home, I remember Carole, how much time you spent with your Mom! I also loved going to see my Grandma, and sitting across from her and sharing hamburgers on that TV tray! We would just sit & talk and I would show her the album that I had made for her, with old familiar pictures!

She had so much trouble after her heart attack..... Couldn't go back to her home... First Assisted Living, then when her memory became worse, on to one Nursing Home, after another! It was so hard being in some of them.... Finally, the third one, we were okay with that one. It's like taking care of her as my Grandma, then as dementia became worse, she was like my little girl..... and yes, it does break your heart.... but you just smile, and hold them, and try and make them feel safe.... I kept her little couch pillow.... the one she made by hand... and her old jewelry, and her albums & memories....

In time, she forgot she had her family.... she only had me..... I made her a little velvet red Christmas Tree, with old pictures of her family I cut out & made into ornaments...… I gave her lip-sticks, which she would hide under the ruffles, so "people wouldn't take them"....

Heart

But so nice to HAVE those memories.... We had each other....

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Dec 8, 2019 09:15PM carolehalston wrote:

Chevy, such sweet memories of your grandmother. She was fortunate to have you looking after her.

The Christmas concert this afternoon featured some lovely voices and instruments. We go to this concert every year and always appreciate the talent and the effort that goes into such a production.

The dinner afterwards at a good restaurant was also a treat.

Tomorrow I have a doctor appointment and a dental appointment. Yuck.

Today was another mild pretty day.

Page 1178 of 1,240 (37,174 results)