Join Us

We are 221,193 members in 83 forums discussing 161,890 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1270 of 1,299 (38,966 results)

Posts 38071 - 38100 (38,966 total)

Dec 10, 2020 06:12AM carolehalston wrote:

The "coffee" in the pot of the coffeemaker this morning was very weak. Clear, in fact. I forgot the coffee grounds when I set up the pot last night! The worst mistake I ever made (a few times through the years) was to neglect to set the carafe in place. Awful mess with coffee all over the place.

It's foggy this morning.

I, too, am happy with the stock market but that's the only plus for me in the last four years of this administration. We watch some business news on tv and the disconnect between the economy and the stock market is difficult to figure out. The big stocks are mostly tech and social media.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 10, 2020 07:29AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Hospitality means we take people into the space that is our lives and our minds and our hearts and our work and our efforts. Hospitality is the way we come out of ourselves. It is the first step towards dismantling the barriers of the world. Hospitality is the way we turn a prejudiced world around, one heart at a time. -Joan D. Chittister

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 10, 2020 07:48AM IllinoisLady wrote:

It will be a nice warm day here despite starting out pretty cool. Carole, we are no strangers here to "weak" coffee. Dh usually makes it and seems over time he can be easily distracted when making it. If not " weak ", sometimes he just forgets to turn the automatic pilot on. Most times though it is okay. Don't know if I mentioned we have been drinking half and half and it seems to keep the blood pressure in good shape while allowing a bit more of a 'better' if not robust flavor to this most wonderful elixir. I think we are such creatures of habit -- not enjoying coffee in the morning would just make the day start out on the " weak " side.

Well, we don't really have to worry about the stock market here because we have none, I do see it as the stock market is often " up " while we have starving people and those in long lines at food banks. That said, if you can partake of the market and have done well I applaud you. I am happy when my fellow travelers are having wins. There are all kinds of wins ( kids laughing, smiles from strangers, good neighbors, etc. ) and I am grateful for all of them and for all who are the fortunate recipients.

As for me, I start my 'chemo' this coming Tuesday. I am so happy to be starting this step so I can get it behind me and move on. It will be once a week for 8 weeks though so I will not finish until February. Then I start over with Dr. Barrientos having the special urine tests and bladder/kidney scopes to make sure I am free of and hopefully remain NED. This was found VERY quickly so that is an absolute plus.

The sun it out this morning and it may get as high as 70. Pretty nice for the month of Dec.

I hope you all have a really wonderful day.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 10, 2020 12:20PM Beaverntx wrote:

Just had an interesting phone call asking if I would be willing to be put on a waiting list instead of going to my 6 month cancer checkup appointment scheduled for next week. Dr. is trying to limit the number of people in her office on any given day in light of our local covid statistics ( rolling 7 day positivity rate has been at 20% for the last week). I agreed. Told DH that with Christmas and the likely effect of Dec. get togethers it may be spring before my next appointment!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 10, 2020 02:04PM MCBaker wrote:

Double check with their office. My onco was surprised that at my age I am tech-savvy enough to prefer a Zoom visit. He told me that from then on out, our appointments will be via video. I am happy with that.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Dec 10, 2020 02:44PM Beaverntx wrote:

No need to check. Main reason for face to face visit is breast exam (she does the most thorough yet comfortable exam I've ever had!) and Zoom would not take care of that. She and her DH are friends of ours and if I had any concerns all I need to do is make contact.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Am probably going to request a zoom visit with my PCP because I have not heard the results of my dexa scan from a couple of weeks ago. His office was moving locations so I wanted to give them a bit of time but that bit is coming to an end!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 10, 2020 03:26PM ChiSandy wrote:

Happy Hanukkah, all!

Warmish again today--in fact, had my espresso out on the deck without even needing a jacket!

Bit the bullet and had my mani today. My salon is allowing only two clients and two techs (including the owner) at a time--in a place with six mani and four pedi stations. En route home, picked up some latkes & matzo ball soup for tonight's dinner (Bob's bringing home a chicken from Costco).

Had a bit of a disappointment today. First Bob called to tell me that his pulmonologist colleague at Union Health said Rush-Pres-St. Luke's is doing the Astra-Zeneca/Oxford vax trial; they're looking specifically for over-65-ers, and only 1/3 of the subjects would get a placebo shot. So he called them to enroll me. Alas, I am not a candidate: melanoma of any kind is a disqualifier from the single-shot trial. Of course, had I not discovered the contralateral floater that caused my retinologist to diagnose an ocular melanoma, I'd have qualified--but the melanoma would then have continued to grow undetected until it spread and kill me. My first thought is "they don't want to waste the vaccine on someone with a ticking time bomb," but the explanation on their site was that any kind of active cancer (other than basal or squamous cell skin), and especially chemo/rads/immunotherapy, would affect the data. So I am not disqualified from actually getting the vax when it's my turn in line--which would be group 4 (after COVID frontline health workers, nursing home residents, and other health workers). For Bob, depending on which hospital is making the decision, he'll be in either group 1 or 3. He declined to enroll in the trial because a 100% chance of getting the real vaccine by Jan. beats a 66% chance of getting it in a couple of weeks.

I SO wish Leslie's parents would cancel the Christmas ranch rental and tell the kids not to come down to Houston (rather than guilt-trip them into coming). Gordy doesn't drive, and so he couldn't take the wheel to spell Leslie--but since he's an adult in a committed relationship, it's not my place to advise him (much as that advice makes obviously eminent sense). Were he to send Leslie down there on her own, it would be seen as rejecting her family, which would endanger their relationship. (So would them getting sick & dying, but again, it's not my call). They were so careful for Thanksgiving--on T-Day Eve, when it began to rain, they brought everything out to the covered porch by using the gangway rather than coming inside. Bob said thst was out of consideration for us. True, her parents are a decade younger than us, but still...

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 10, 2020 05:52PM Taco1946 wrote:

I tried to access the New York Times issue that gave "group" designations for vaccine with no success. I also thought that each state was more or less setting their own "lists". Ken is 77 with 9 stents and I am 74. Our risk factors are controlled by medication and there is no evidence of my cancer returning. I personally would like to see a lot of people be ahead of us, including our 50 yo daughter who works in a grocery store. We can self isolate a lot easier than many. But when they call my number, I certainly will take it. I can't ask that my dose be sent to Debbie in Maine.

Jackie, it certainly is true that the income inequality has gotten greater in the past 4 years and that the stock market isn't the economy. I know a lot of people who have worked really hard all their lives and haven't experienced the economic success of some others who haven't done the same. I'm enough of a pessimist that I don't believe that we can all achieve our goals and dreams if we work hard enough as some political campaigns said. Too many things in life are beyond our control. On the other hand, having access to resources like education, good health and medical care, and family money makes It easier to deal with set-backs. Not everyone has that. We lived in FHA housing while we were in graduate school but our parents paid our tuition so we didn't end up with years of debt after that. Thank goodness we had VA loans to help us buy our first house.

Stay safe everyone.

Marge

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Dec 10, 2020 09:11PM CindyNY wrote:

For 35 years I've been spending Christmas evening at a gf house, we are like family. Through an ex husband, on to current partner, through deaths of parents, etc. if I'm in NY, that is where to find me. But not this year. It's always a house full, an open house to current and past neighbors, friends and business associates. She may not have it, keep it to her immediate family - but they work and younger ones are out and about. It saddens me but we can't risk it. I may go onto her back covered deck to exchange gifts when no one else is there. But as partner has said, we'll always be friends, but he doesn't want to die over one holiday.

Portfolio increases via the stock market is not how we value ourselves. Yes they're larger now, but the inequality in the country of the "have's" and the "have nots" is stark. I'm not looking to benefit off the backs of those less fortunate. Peace be with you.

Warmed up to mid 40's today. Expecting 53 on Sunday, and I'll take it! It's dropping back down next week with snow flurries.

Happy Hanukkah.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 11, 2020 04:52AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. It is 39 and will warm up nicely. So far my grand nephew is the only one that has tested positive. I am surprised his wife has not yet. When I talked with my niece, his mom, she nearly brought me to tears. I felt so bad for her. The family time at the holidays is so important to her. It was difficult enough for her, as her husband died a year ago (liver cancer), SIL, her mom, is dead and MIL, her grandmother is dead. All in recent years. Now the COVID-19 virus has infected her son.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 11, 2020 01:14PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself. Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door to the mind. -Arthur Deikman

Dec 11, 2020 01:40PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Pretty day this morning g, but it looks like it may be gearing up to rain. I need to go to the store. Should have gone yesterday but got lazy -- so I'll have to go today when it is less pleasant.

Cindy and all. I hope I didn't sound snippy yesterday. I truly am happy for anyone who can invest in the market and do okay with it. I likely have something of a different outlook on things since I generally think all the things that happen to us ( good and bad, poor or rich, sick or well etc. ) is an experience we are meant to have. Not to go too far but everything is a learning experience and if we are learning -- we are growing and hopefully it is mainly ALWAYS positive growth. I struggle a bit financially, but here is the thing -- that helps me learn so much. Part of what I've learned is that I'm not so bad off. We lost all our retirement money thru illness but here I am with basically everything I need. A decent old car that looks new. A comfy home, and really enough food.

I saw pictures on the news of these huge long lines of people waiting to pick up donated food ( praying I never have to go that far ) and I well know there are homeless people. I have a home. True we can't update it as we'd like but it is over 1500 sq. feet of rooms to use and love in a magnificent setting just behind the first tree line of a little woods -- and a huge lake tucked into the woods that provides the town's drinking water.

I can still do a little work, but so many people are out of a job. I do not feel sorry for myself -- in fact, I seldom think of things in that way at all. If your circumstances are better than I am happy for you. I am convinced that I am where I was meant to be because of things I need to learn. So, I welcome each day and the opportunities I might be able to be a part of and the great experiences I may have because I open that door. Even if all I do is talk to someone that day it does something for me, and enriches hopefully my understanding of sharing with others on whatever level comes up. Your circumstances and mine are meant to be different because we are meant to grow in different ways for different reasons.

Which just brings to mind how grateful I am for this thread and the people here that I get to share with everyday. Now darn it -- if Chevy would just get herself in here and say hi once in awhile -- well, it would all be perfect.

Dec 11, 2020 03:12PM karen1956 wrote:

IllinoisLady - beautiful words :)

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Dec 11, 2020 04:00PM petite1 wrote:

Illinoislady, Cindy, Taco, In trying to put on my happy face I came on wrong. I am frugal. I save. I am goal oriented. I am blessed, lucky and been at the right spot at the right time. In the fifties my Dad took me to a band with my piggy back and I opened an account. When I got my first job at 35 cents an hour, I banked the check and lived on the tips. The bank changed to another bank, I would save. It changed to another bank. It changed to another bank and is now changing to another bank. So I probably still have the money from my piggy bank in 1958. Sometimes were hard and I couldn't save. When first husband died, all I had was debt. I was able to sell the house at what was owed and lived in Chapter 8 housing. I bought my first HUD house about 1992. I decided I wanted to be debt free by 2000. I sold it 1998. Moved to the area I currently live and got a great job. Back to saving. I bought an estate sale house. Sold that and bought a condo, built a house, rented out the condo to a newly divorced woman without any credit. Eventually sold the condo and the house I was living at double the cost in 2005. Bought another house, sold it in a year. Built another house. Lost money on that. Jim and I married and he rented his house to a couple that had lost their home. They still live at that house. So we rent to the people no one rents to. We keep rent cheap and we don't raise it. We sold 2 this year to the folks renting them. That money went to stocks and mutual funds. So, if stocks go down and real estate goes down, we will by foreclosures and provide a service renting those that no one will rent to. Sorry to go on for so long, but that is my life story.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 11, 2020 08:22PM CindyNY wrote:

Petite1 - I misjudged your words, and that's on me. You live your truth.

Weather was warm, considering it's mid December. 50 on Sunday, if we can believe it. Funny what I consider warm now!

Enjoy the weekend.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 11, 2020 08:39PM Reader425 wrote:

Petite thank you for sharing your story. Its an amazing one. This thread is really lovely and uplifting due to both the topics/ chat but also such gracious dialogue back and forth. Thank you all!

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/29/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 12, 2020 06:35AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Life is not a having and a getting,
but a being and a becoming.
- Matthew Arnold

Dec 12, 2020 06:40AM carolehalston wrote:

Petite, I enjoyed sharing your background and I applaud you for your success. My dh grew up in a middle-class blue collar family with a hard working father and stay at home mother. He was taught that however much money you earn, you save a portion of it. When we got married, we were poor but we had the benefit of his small savings he had accumulated while he was in the army and during working years. He was thirty and I was twenty-six when we married. I didn't have a dime of savings.

We both earned money during the wage-earning years of our marriage (51 years) and we always saved. During some years we lived on his salary and put all my income into savings. I took advantage of the first IRA offered by the federal government. Then since I was self-employed as a writer, I sheltered as much income as possible in retirement funds to minimize taxes. We realized early on that the stock and bond markets were the best opportunity to grow savings. We endured stock market fluctuations and ended up with retirement savings to supplement pension and social security.

We chose not to have children because we selfishly wanted to do a lot of travel and indulge in interests that would be hampered by rearing children. For example, we lived on a sailboat for 9 years. So we avoided the expense of a family. As I get older, I acknowledge to myself that not having children means not having the pleasure of friendship with grown up sons and daughters. And grandchildren. But I made my choices.

I make no apologies for having accumulated savings that we are using now in retirement. We hope not to run out of funds but leaving leftover funds to heirs is not a priority.

I enjoy the variety of personalities and lifestyles of our regular contributors to this thread. It would be boring if we were all alike.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 12, 2020 06:44AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wow !! What a difference a day makes !! Started raining early evening yesterday and we are going to now have pretty cool weather after 60's and 70's for a couple of days. At least it is not snowing. Not sure when and if that will come. At some point -- but with the climate issues it may just be a big surprise.

Have to REALLY go to the store today. I have been putting it off, but we have no bread -- so big indication I've reached the real end of the line and HAVE to stop procrastinating. Lately I've taken longer than usual to get done at my one job and the lady I just help. Need to do some refining so I can get done a bit faster. When I'm slow there, it slows everything else down.

Will try to finish my cards today. Not sending out many as I seriously cut down the list a few yrs. ago -- but more procrastination. Maybe I'm hopeless, but I hope not. Otherwise, I'm happy and satisfied. There is a vaccine on the way. It will all take some time and some discomforts to come, but wonderful to see that help is out there and only needs to be properly instituted. I won't be sorry to see this yr. go and to start a new one -- full of new hopes and dreams for good things for everyone.

Dec 12, 2020 10:14AM Wren44 wrote:

Illinois Lady, I've been meaning to ask about the adorable dog on your postings. Is it a dog you know?

DH sends our cards. I got really tired of doing it so he took over. This year he bought some with a fox in the snow and inside is about friends and family and small good things. Appropriate for this year, I think.

Very foggy here this morning. I can't even see the ridge where I can normally make out the houses and trees. It's supposed to be sunny later. I used to be a travel agent and totally burned out after all the Christmas travel plans we made for people were destroyed by 2 weeks of really thick fog. No planes could get in or out, so we spent Jan. refunding everything we had done in Dec. Then a carrier announced $39 fares to LA. I decided I was in an abusive relationship and needed to get out. It was a good move, but I missed being able to travel. I've had more enjoyable work since I made that decision.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Dec 12, 2020 12:40PM petite1 wrote:

Carol, Thanks for sharing. I enjoy the sisterhood from all over the country and a few overseas. We all have our differences, but the one commonality that brings us here.

Dec 12, 2020 01:33PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wren: I wish that were a picture of my dog, but it is just a picture. I usually have cats, or flowers ( usually roses ) but sometimes even I get tired of them and want something else. I do have two dogs though. A miniature pincher, and a black lab retriever -- Mindy ( who becomes Minda with an emphasis on the da if she is being bad ) and Bill. Still too many cats, but most of them are older. They are generally quiet and generally not at all troublesome. It is those pesky little kittens we took in, but they will learn better manners in time. They are adorable which keeps us laughing most of the time.

We had planned to stop 'saving' so many and actually have but when we found the kittens we didn't have the heart to walk away. Our plan is still not to take anymore in and that is mainly due to our age. Cats, especially those kept indoors have a fair longevity and we want to outlive our pets. We have taken in way too many that were " dumped " somewhere because their owners died and the family didn't want the responsibility of the pet -- so they just left them at one of the feral cat colonies. You can always tell ( not that I wasn't familiar with all the feral cats anyway ) as a 'former' pet will usually run right up to you. Their former owners usually spent a lot of time with them and they are hungry for the same amt. of love and attention. Too often they are not neutered which makes being at the feral colony a little dicey at times -- if it is mating season there can be lots of fights. That is why so many came home with me. No one comes to my house and stays un-neutered, period.

Sorry !! As usual I don't know how to give short answers.

Dec 12, 2020 03:38PM Betrayal wrote:

IlinoisLady: Had to laugh at your phrase "No one comes to my house and stays un-neutered, period." Now, I know that it applies to your four legged visitors who become inhabitants but it struck my funny bone anyhow. I didn't think it applied to visitors, whew. Nice to know that someone else lives in a menagerie as we do with 3 cats (two older and one youngster), one aging dalmatian and 4 parakeets.

In the past, I have had two rescue cats make it to within one month of their 20th birthday and one was a diabetic male on insulin every 12 hours. Their birthdays were guesstimates of their age based on what the vet saw, so they may have actually been older, but not younger given the years they spent with us. Our last dog lived to be 15 years and two months so she actually lived with us for the full 15 years and one week. She was a large puppy and the vet breeder let us take her at 7 weeks because "mom" was getting testy about nursing her 3 pups. Dalmatians usually live about 12 years so for her to make 15 plus years was a testament to her breeding stock, not from a "puppy farm" (many in PA) but a reputable breeder who owned the mom and the dad was from her practice.

All in all, we sort of live in the peaceable kingdom since all get along. The birds fascinate the dog who will watch them and the cats do like to check them out but really don't bother them.

Then we have our outdoor pets, the 4-6 white tail deer who visit our bird feeder twice a day. One of the triplet fawns was limping today and that is concerning. It was a hind leg and appeared to be slightly twisted at the hoof. It was mobile just moving slow with a definite limp. No hunting in this area unless you consider speeding SUV's lethal weapons and they definitely contribute to road kill and herd thinning. The chipmunks must be hibernating because it has been a while since they were at the feeder. Winter birds are starting to move in to the area so new friends to see again. Have a good weekend.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 12, 2020 05:29PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Betrayal: Ah, the joys of thinking what you want to say. I must say it went well, but it is obvious I did not read over what I had just written. My computer here has a pretty good spell-checker so I can just keep going ( without a re-read ) if no red pops up to make me stop. It is hilarious. Yeah, better watch out if ya'll come to my house. The vet in the back room will take care of you.

I just re-read what I wrote and not only did I make it sound like ANY visitor might get the " treatment " but I note it was basically the last thing I said. No way for it to be a couple of paragraphs up where you might forget it because you focused on something else.

NOTE TO ALL: I will not have you summarily " fixed " if you come to my house, okay.Happy

Dec 12, 2020 07:34PM ChiSandy wrote:

Petite, thanks for sharing your story.

Well, it's official--Bob won't be getting his vaccine from Little Co. of Mary either. The Chief of Staff sent non-OSF(Order of Sr. Francis)-employed doctors a very politely worded "f--- you" letter informing them that their Pfizer allocation will go to only ICU nurses, CNAs, resp. therapists and housekeepers in rooms occupied by COVID patients; and if there's any left over, to staff drs. employed by OSF specifically in the ICU & ED (they are too small to have a COVID unit per se). His rationale is that attending physicians don't spend long enough with COVID patients. (It's also a majority-minority suburb, and the CNAs & housekeepers live in close quarters in small dwellings, often multi-generational). Because it's a relatively small hospital in suburban Cook County, it has a pretty small slice of the county's allocation.

Holy Cross, which is w/in the city limits, also lacks a COVID unit, despite being a hotspot-in-a-hotspot. But it's owned by Mt. Sinai, which has made clear that its employed staff gets priority (ever since Mt. Sinai took HC over from the Order of the Sisters of St. Casimir, the remaining Lithuanian doctors all quit, and the Hindu & Muslim doctors boycotted all Mt. Sinai fundraising events--so there's a lot of animus running both ways. Mt. Sinai's slowly-gentrifying Douglass Park neighborhood--where the Dick Wolf "Chicago" shows film--is nowhere nearly as hard-hit as HC's formerly blue-collar Lithuanian but now impoverished and gang-ridden Marquette Park). So I'd be very surprised if anyone at HC gets vaccinated in the first "tranche" of Pfizer doses.

There is a slight chance that, as an adjunct of Rush-Pres-St. Luke's and UIC Health next door on the Near West Side, Union Health may get enough doses for its relatively few employed staff physicians--of whom Bob actually is one and therefore might be part of group 1A. But his part-time office secretary (who tested negative after her college-student daughter came home for T-day and tested positive but is now negative), who would be part of group 1B--she teaches special-ed at a Chicago public school--says she wants to wait for the Moderna vaccine because it's lmore "shelf-stable." So for all intents & purposes, both Bob & I are likely in group 1C--over 65 & or with an underlying condition (I touch both bases, he only one). We'd be unlikely to get even the second tranche of the city's Pfizer allocation (group 1B--teachers, factory workers, delivery persons, transit workers, first responders, grocery clerks, etc.--are all ahead of us). But we've got a good "shot" at getting the city's Moderna allocation. Gordy's GF Leslie, as a teacher (even online-only for now), is in group 1B even at age 30.

I can't talk the kids out of driving down to Texas--for a reason I'm not at liberty to disclose just yet. Gordy sent me photos of the property the family is renting--four separate cabins and a gazebo on two acres. All gatherings will be outdoors, masked and distanced.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 13, 2020 06:15AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Imagine how our lives might be if everyone had even a bit more of the Wisdom that comes from seeing clearly. Suppose people everywhere, simultaneously, stopped what they were doing and paid attention for only as long as it took to recognize their shared humanity. Surely the heartbreak of the world's pain, visible to all, would convert everyone to kindness. What a gift that would be.

Sylvia Boorstein

Dec 13, 2020 06:23AM - edited Dec 13, 2020 04:10PM by IllinoisLady

Sandy, sounds like once there your son and girl-friend could/would be all right. Sounds more like the getting there is the possible problem. I hope it does all go well for them as it is more and more becoming such an iffy, scary time going on. It is amazing that all was somewhat workable for a good period of time, but has now truly exploded into covid basically being everywhere.

As for as the vaccine or which one from which company -- since I am in the age group ( 75 and with health factors as well ) I will be awaiting word from the V.A. as to what to expect. I would expect that they would take care of the workers first -- in the VA hospitals and clinics but I don't even know if anything is yet decided about it. Probably has but just not made public as yet. I'll have to see if any guidelines are listed anywhere on that .Gov site.

Cloudy and cool today. Well, I can take the cool but I will miss the sun as always. Hoping you all have a wonderful day.

Dec 13, 2020 04:00PM petite1 wrote:

Sandy, Do you know how the vaccine will be distributed? It sounded like Health care workers and then nursing homes, but I heard also the top government officials. I try not to listen to TV, so don't know what is or will actually happen.

Betrayal, I love the sound of the peaceful kingdom. My 2 cats will on occasion get along. I have not seen deer around the house for probably 6 years, but then we did have the bear last summer (I think it was summer.) I saw a beautiful big hawk today and lots of squirrels. We also get the big fox squirrels. I love them. The cayotes are scary. I would hate to sitting on the lanai and have them come through the screen and get one of the cats, or me.

Dec 13, 2020 06:21PM Taco1946 wrote:

I hear stories of pets and coyotes here but have never known anyone who personally had trouble. My scariest adventure with them was walking about 10:00 pm with one of our small dogs. He and I always walked to the end of the cul-de-sac before I went to bed. We were about half way between the end of the street and our house when I saw at least seven crossing the street ahead of me. I picked up the dog, who had the good sense not to bark or growl, and just stood and watched them. None of them seemed the least bit interested in either of us. We see them now even the area is much more built up but I haven't felt afraid. I just wish they wouldn't leave their scat on the walking trails. Mutz has figured out that they aren't dogs he wants to go play with. On the other hand, we don't let him unsupervised outside the house either.

Nice weekend - the gifts for the foster girls were picked up, I dropped stuff off at the food bank, had dinner with our "bubble buddies" and the Cardinals finally won a game. Just finished "The Night Portrait". Good book if you like historical fiction. Goes back and forth between Milan (1490-1495) and Germany/Poland (1939-1946).

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Dec 13, 2020 10:43PM - edited Dec 13, 2020 10:52PM by ChiSandy

We have coyotes even in the city--there's a "den" of them behind the neighborhood firehouse. None have attacked any pets (AFAIK). The rat population is down, but I'm seeing fewer rabbits, raccoons & possums these days.

Here in Chicago & the suburbs, the order of priority for at least the Pfizer vaccine is Group 1A: first "front-line healthcare workers" (as defined by the individual hospitals); then the staff and residents of senior "congregate care facilities." Apparently that even includes independent-living seniors-only apartment buildings (not just assisted living, convalescent/rehab, & skilled nursing homes). Group 1B: first the "first responders" (in order of priority, EMT/paramedics, firefighters, police); then "essential workers" (teachers, delivery persons including postal workers, supermarket, pharmacy & big-box-store checkers & stockers, public transit workers, workers in food plants and essential factories). Group 1C: first, those >65 with comorbidities, and then those >65 regardless of occupation or physical condition. That includes doctors >65 who do not routinely work closely with COVID patients (in reality, those doctors in private practice with no "strings" they can pull with the facilities where they practice). Group 2 includes prisoners/inmates (and guards), city workers (library, clerical, road/street maintenance, sanitation), workers at urgent care clinics, and non-ICU, non-COVID hospital in-patients.

And within the above groups, those living in hardest-hit neighborhoods (especially if their living conditions make social distancing impossible) will get priority. Can't speak as to city, county, or state gov't officials---I know WH staffers will get first crack in DC. (Even those who already caught COVID from you-know-who).

Here's what fries me, though: The City of Chicago has only 23,000 doses in this first shipment, for the entire city. But Rush-Pres.-St. Luke's is boasting (on every local news show) that it will be immunizing 1000 workers per day (!!!), and its next-door-neighbor Stroger (formerly Cook County) Hospital 600 per day. Now where does that leave all the other hospitals & clinics in the city, much less the nursing homes and assisted-living facilities? There are at least 400,000 health care workers in Chicago alone.

Unless Bob gets into Group 1A via (his "side hustle") being a cardiologist employed by Union Health, we're both in Group 1C--and that means we're highly unlikely to be offered the shot (at least Pfizer) till at least early spring. And it's not clear whether they'll look at my likely life expectancy with even not-yet-metastatic ocular melanoma and declare me not worth wasting a precious couple of doses upon. (Not even gonna speculate as to any already-Stage IV patients).

And to think that back last spring I feared that I would be triaged out of being able to get on a ventilator due to age. Triage is ugly, period.

Page 1270 of 1,299 (38,966 results)