Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1327 of 4,143 (41,427 results)

Sep 13, 2012 05:28PM carolehalston wrote:

Mommarch, glad you had a good trip to visit your mom and sisters.  Hope your dh can get some medical relief.

My sister who is 3 yrs. younger than I has been undergoing x-rays and an mri for her knee and also the foot on that same leg.  I sure hope her drs. can come up with some suggestions for improving her mobility.  She feels bad that I'm older and much more active than she is.  Her problems started when she injured that foot a few years ago and her goofball husband told her she didn't need to go to a dr.  The foot would heal by itself.  My sister has good insurance, too. 

We toured the WI state capitol bldg in Madison yesterday.  It's the most beautiful capitol bldg. I've every seen, but there are a lot I haven't seen, admittedly.  The ceilings are stained glass and admit natural light.  The variety of marble used in the construction was a pleasure to see.  Construction on the bldg. began in 1907 and took 10 yrs. to complete.  Everything looked in perfect condition.  It's hard to imagine maintaining such ornate features in the interior.

Today we drove to the Milwaukee area and are staying in the rv park at the State Fairgrounds.  It's raining and we have the heat on in the camper to cut the chill.  The next two days are supposed to be perfect weather.  We'll be spending time with dh's niece and her dh and their two children.  The plan for tomorrow is to do sightseeing by bicycle while the children are in school.  The niece insists that it's a good way to see the city.  So keep me in your prayers! 

Jackie, I'm glad you're having some good weather to enjoy. 

Kaara, what's going on with you?

Hi to everyone else not mentioned.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 13, 2012 06:37PM illinoislady wrote:

Jean  I hope all goes really well for you tomorrow.  I know what you mean about all the medical things.  I still feel much of our social life is tied up in which of us is having an appt. for what.............and then along comes the what now's.  Even though I'm done pretty much with all but a cancer check-up every  four months....it seems like something tries to get started.  Right now I'm having extra appts. to deal with bad hearing. I sure hope life settles down for you soon......people our age pray for boredom.

Carolethings for you sound anything but boring.  I felt like I was in the Capitol Bldg. with you.  Sounds like they take a great deal of pride in their building.  It must be great to work there....though you know that after a bit you are probably not seeing all that beauty --just going to work.

We are still enjoying moderate temperatures, but the past two days have been a bit on the muggy side taking away just a little bit.  I'm not feeling so bad about that when I look out and see green lawns again and hear the sound of mowers going all over the place. 

A big hug and hi to all,

Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 14, 2012 06:01PM bonnets wrote:

Had my lumpectomy, SNL  today, sore and achy Good news preliminary tests say clean nodes. Will probably be doing rads, see onco on the 27th, who happens to be our primary too. Breating again! Now got hubby's  carotid sono on Wed. Enough already. Jean

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Sep 14, 2012 07:11PM chevyboy wrote:

Congratulations bonnets!  That's ALWAYS good news, about your nodes..... Remember to ask for a copy of your "final pathology report"....Just so you will understand, and can ask questions! 

Good luck with your DH's sonogram!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 14, 2012 08:17PM bonnets wrote:

I.ve been getting copies of everything, adding them to a folder. Learned to do that here!

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Sep 15, 2012 02:02AM edithesther wrote:

Forum for older people with bc would be great. I am 64 and just diagnosed after years of false alarms due to lumpy breasts. I am so afraid, been up since middle of night, can't switch off. At clinic feel really old. Up to yesterday was feeling positive and upbeat now just want to sleep and never wake up.

Dx 8/23/2012, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2 Surgery 9/20/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Sep 15, 2012 07:16AM SusannahW wrote:

Edithesther, it's a roller coaster. I'm 6 months into the ride, and it has evened out a bit, and I know it will get smooth one day. Please don't despair, you will get through this, and there will be better days ahead.

Dx 3/2012, IDC, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 4/27/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 6/4/2012 Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2012 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/9/2012 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 15, 2012 07:29AM edithesther wrote:

Thank you Susannah, it's the not knowing exactly which kind of cancer it is and if it has spread that is the worse part.

Lumpectomy and two lymph removal this Friday. Then will know more a fortnight later.

Trying to live a " normal " life but not doing it very well.The roller coaster ride is a good description, will just strap myself in and hope for the best.

Dx 8/23/2012, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2 Surgery 9/20/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Sep 15, 2012 07:41AM chevyboy wrote:

Hey gals!  It's ME, almost the oldest one here!  Ha, ha!  Nope, I would rather tune up a car, (which I know nothing about) than have BC!!!  But I'm about 3 years out now!   It comes, you take care of it, and then you can relax!!! 

Edith, are you alone?  Try getting out more, if only for a walk!   Go grab a Star-bucks, or find someone to talk to......  We are always here!!!!!!  I just turned 75, and I'll be your cheer-leader!  I'll drag you out of the doldrums, and get you perkin' again!  Wink

And don't let anyone else make you feel "old."  Tell them you are older, but better now, Ha!

Susannah, thanks for popping in!  There's a bunch of us that will hear you guys, and come to the rescue..........

Just think of it as something you have to go through...... like getting through that dark tunnel, and out into the light again!  Do everything you have to do, but take care of your beautiful mind while doing it! 

Okay, now I'm going to finish making the Kahlua I started yesterday! Wink  Then we'll all have a cup of coffe, with a little Kahlua in it, or the other way around!!!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 15, 2012 07:43AM chevyboy wrote:

Page 1327 of 4,143 (41,427 results)

Scroll to top button