Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 159 of 4,171 (41,705 results)

Jul 17, 2009 11:15PM illinoislady wrote:

Hi Alyson, smallworld,Cindy and hello again to Debbie,Susan, Gilly and all the rest.

wwjd....we are all kids with you.  Was it here.....I was telling someone recently how old I felt ( very, very old before I was 10 ) and as well for many years afterward.....but as I age much of me --- at least the mental part of me tends to feel much, much younger.  I will be 64 in calendar years on my birthday in September....but I don't seem to feel too much different than when I was 53 or 53.  I don't quite have the stamina....should say it can come and go a bit more now but it's only just over a yr. since my last chemo. 

Cindy it is true.... I did not realize how much I took for granted until I got ill.  Canser was always something someone else got.....in fact, I did not even know very many people with canser.  No real history in my family etc.  But you are right....we don't take for granted now and look at the every day treasures that surround us.  And....absolutely......we get another chance....a do-over so to speak.  For all those times I did not tell someone how much I cared about them, or how much I appreciate sharing a part of their life and them sharing mine....I now get more days to go back and correct....do-over so much of what had been common-place to me.  Every day is important now....because it is a gift and I wish not to take it for granted as I once did.

All of you....this is my big chance to tell you what an honor to know you and spend time with you and thank God for you.  My life is so much more than it was....though in lots of ways it was not bad, but I am doing it over and can love and honor so much more than I ever did. 

Have a beautiful evening.  I'm off to recline and relax and be thankful.

Hugs, Jackie

p.s.  and just when you thought a little smarmy might never sneak in.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 18, 2009 12:14AM - edited Jul 18, 2009 12:18AM by smallworld123

I want to live to be an old lady. I'm 67 years young, just got bc this year, had a mast. and want to go on to the next stage in my life. Put cancer behind me, and pray for us all for no recurrance. I did not do everything that the doctor said, but feel good in going the natural way. Its a personal decision we all have to make. I cannot beleive all the young women who have breast cancer now. Why? I asked myself, its not fair to them, or to us older ladies, but what do we all have in common with the young girls? If we could figure that out, we would know how to stop bc. blessings to all my sisters.

Dx 3/27/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, HER2-

Jul 18, 2009 11:02AM ritajean wrote:

Welcome to you new ladies!

wwjd.... You put me to shame!  I need to get into a better exercise routine.  I love your attitude!

Cindy, I think alot like you do now.  I see things much differently than before breast cancer.  I drop all my "duties" and go do the fun things when somebody calls and wants to golf, shop, or bowl.  It's amazing, but those things that I thought were so important before seem to wait for us!  Eventually I find the time to pick up the clutter!   I also read alot.  It's one of my favorite past times.  Before I felt guilty if I picked up a book and sat on the deck and read for a few hours.   NOT ANYMORE!!!  Now it's a real treat and I enjoy every minute.

Gill...It is indeed a small world.  If you get to Bloomington, PM me and maybe we can meet for a "gab session."  

Well I'm off to pull weeds.  Amazingly enough, I like doing that too, especially on days like today that are not extremely hot.

Catch you all later.  Have a good weekend.

Rita

Dx 11/21/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jul 18, 2009 05:35PM amE2 wrote:

Hi Ladies,

Back again.  WWJD   Yes, OR? NO I have not had surgery. I am on Arimidex as they said I was highly Estrogen+ and Progesterone + but I am HER2 - so they are doing their first CTC (Circulating Tumor Cells) blood test on July 28th but I won't know the results until after I come back from the OBX on Aug 17th.  I would still opt for no surgery as the Arimidex is doing a wonderful job.  A horribly inflamed breast with a two-three inch lesion has gone down to a regular breast with what now looks like a scar.  But I have lost a lot of breast tissue.  Sooo, LOL this is soooo silly, one side is large and the other is about half that size.  LOL  I can only laugh, what else can I do.  I am not big on prosthesis type stuff.  I am sort of a natural lady so I make everyone else put up with it.  LOL  Sometimes, they stare but only if they know.  ;-)

I have to comment about Catherine Marshall as 36 years ago when my life was at the lowest ebb it would ever be I read several of her books.  God bless her, she saved my sanity many, many, times. 

AS TO AGE, no, don't really want to talk about it.  (64 but whose counting) LOL  I have been asked, --- out and out asked, what is the prognosis?  I want to say "And that is your business because?????"   I can't see ONE good reason for anyone to have that information other then my family and even then, --- frankly my onco  hasn't given me a prognosis.  The only one I got was that I was a long way from going up to Moffit, our premier cancer center up in Tampa.  I am happy with that.  I don't need to be projecting my own death.  ;-)

So, I have that and Robert (my husband, who has decided there is absolutely "nothing" wrong with me and acts accordingly.  Sigh.  Yes, well, dependent husbands and all that----.  

Ok, I am off to feed my 4 cats and pick Robert up from work.

Talk to you all later.  

Happy to see so many positive posts.

Hugs, Pam

Jul 18, 2009 07:54PM noni1 wrote:

Hello Ladies,

Hope you all had a nice day.  WWJD,  you go girl.  You have more energy than I do.  Can I borow some.

Ritajean,  I love to read also.  I live in Florida and in the summer it rains almost everyday.  I get all my chores and errands done in the morning and then when it gets all dark  and rainy by mid afternoon, I get my book and read and chill.  I often leave things to do also.  There is always tomorrow.

Well, I'm going to go and surf the web,  have a great evening to you all.

Cindy 

Cindy Dx 3/14/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Jul 18, 2009 08:12PM beergirl wrote:

Is there anyone here dealing with caring for an elderly parent or handicapped adult child as well as cancer? I need all the ideas I can get.

Beergirl Dx 2/11/2008, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/26/2008 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Chemotherapy 5/24/2008 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jul 18, 2009 08:23PM lassie11 wrote:

Pam - I totally get letting people deal with whatever difference in boob sizes that you have. When I had a lumpectomy, one was a bit smaller and that was that. Now that I've had a mastectomy and the other one is . . . ummmm  . . . not tiny  - I wanted something to kind of even things up. I may have mentioned it here before - my daughter knit me a choice of new ones. You can fill them with quilt stuffing (or whatever) to the size you like. I like it because it is light, cool and stays put well in a mastectomy or often in a regular bra. I have the formal prosthetic and have only worn it once. Yuk. If you ever decide there are occasions when you want to "even up", here is the address  http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html  Yesterday when I saw the radiology oncologist, he and his nurse were really impressed - the young male first year resident, not so much! Apparently if you follow some of the links on the site, it is possible to buy them ready made. My daughter says that it is a really easy pattern for a knitter.
From each according to ability; to each according to need.

Jul 19, 2009 02:03AM pegat13 wrote:

Here I stand shivering on the edge of the high board, squeze my eyes shut, pinch my nose and...JUMP.  After 13 years of actively not wanting to know, I recently stumbled on this site and am now considerably more knowledgeble about my case and ready to REVEAL ALL (and hopefully receive revelations from others). May 26, 1996, enjoying a liesurely shower before dressing in beige befitting the mother of the groom,I discovered the lump. A BIG lump - 8cm.  One week later I was enrolled in protocol seeking to discover if taxotere in combination with the gold standard chemo mix could shrink the tumor to the point that a lumpectomy would be  as effective as a radical mastectomy. In my case the answer was a dramatic yes. Everything went along swimmingly: surgery, radiation, Tamoxifen and at last, the 5 year victory bell.  I was cured!  Not only that,but unlike many of my friends of a certain age I had no health problems. No high blood pressure or cholesterol, not overweight, no arthrihtis so no joint replacements, no heart problems, not even cataracts.  I was now 60, ready to retire and ready to roll out and do something new and useful to save the world and have fun doing it.  But wait- what is that nagging pain in my hip?  You say thats not the hip?  Its called the sacrum? And it contains the most worrisome of 3 bone metastases?  OOPS!  Crank up the broad beam radiation, Arrimidex, Zometa, 5 different Cyberknife sessions. More trouble, switch to xeloda.  A lymph node pops up and up -  zap it with radiation.  But suddenly last month I can barely walk.  I have lost much sensation in my legs and feet over the years caused by nerve damage from the sacral tumor.  This is nothing new.  Pain, dropped foot, a cold and wasted leg, not to mention (I usually don't) bowel and bladder problems, have all originated under the auspices of the sacral tumor and have been slowly debilitating me for the past 5 years. But now I can barely balance on my own 2 feet without toopling over and can only lurch very slowly and very carefully from pillar to post.  Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have 2 black eyes to prove it. I also have a new doctor on the team- a neuro oncologist.  New doctor = new words to learn: lumbo- sacral plexopathy, radiculopathy, cord compression.  All scary because they arrive accompanied by the term "nerve infiltration."  No longer am I a no brainer, paint by the numbers case with a few simple bone mets. Now I have 3 docs, my oncologist, the radiologist and the neuro-oncologist.  I hear they were kicking my case around trying to decide what happens next. Most likely another round of Xeloda from what I can glean.I was never present at these conferences but I get the feeling that the neuro oncologist sees bad things coming down the track for me. In a few weeks I'll be 68, definitely old enough for this ole biddy thread, doncha think?  So I ask: Is anyone out there still awake at 1:43 EDT?  Ever been down a long and dusty road that looked like thisone? Do you know where this story goes next? I'd love to hear from you!

Dx 6/1/1996, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, 1/27 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 19, 2009 02:06AM - edited Jul 19, 2009 02:11AM by pegat13

This Post was deleted by pegat13.

Jul 19, 2009 09:12AM pegat13 wrote:

OOPS!  Somehow I posted the same message twice, thus the deletion.

Page 159 of 4,171 (41,705 results)

Scroll to top button