We are 224,420 members in 82 forums discussing 157,745 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Illinois ladies facing bc

Forum: Member Matchup & Local Support Groups —
A place for members to request and respond to requests from women looking for a one-on-one mentor, or to connect with others living in similar geographic areas.

Posted on: Jan 13, 2007 04:10AM - edited Jan 9, 2009 09:29AM by ritajean

ritajean wrote:

I'm very curious about all the Illinois ladies who are making this breast cancer journey or who have finished it. Where are you located? What's your diagnosis? Where are you in your treatment plan? How's it going for you?

I thought we might be surprised to find somebody right in our own back yard that could use some encouragement or company.

I'll start us out. I live in Bloomington. I was diagnosed in Nov. 2006 with IDC cancer, 1.4 cm. er-, pr+, her2-. Stage 1 but that horrid Grade 3. Had an excisional biopsy that came back without clear margins. Went to Peoria to an excellent breast surgeon. Had a lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy. Nodes and margins were both clear. Now I'm headed for my first CMF chemo on Jan. 26th. I'm very nervous about the chemo, which I dread more than any other part of the journey, I think.

Hop on here and tell us about yourself. There may be some of us that are even close enough we could meet for an outing some time.

Rita
Dx 11/21/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Page 1112 of 1,112 (33,344 results)

Posts 33331 - 33344 (33,344 total)

Nov 7, 2019 09:51PM ChiSandy wrote:

We need to get an IL (or Chicagoland) group together again. That photo was taken before I was diagnosed and found BCO, but I do recognize Lago (Lauren).

How's everyone coping with the early deep freeze? We had a dusting of snow overnight (yesterday made it into the 50s, probably something we won't see again for months). Only stuck on cars & grass, and most of it evaporated before sunset tonight. After a brief (weak) warmup this weekend, it's gonna get worse. Last night walked to a Portuguese wine dinner in the neighborhood, wearing my new faux-fur-trimmed hooded loden car coat, with a muffler over a suede jacket & a t-shirt. Not toasty-warm but comfy enough to keep the hood down and no gloves. Came out 3 hrs later, and the cold cut through like a knife--the mist that began during dinner had started to freeze. Hood up, muffler tied tight over the top snap, Thinsulate-lined leather gloves barely cutting it. Time next week to dig out the puffer jacket or maybe even the old shearling hooded coat which is 2 sizes too big now. (Might either move the buttons or have the tailor around the corner make it a toggle coat). Not to mention the shearling mittens.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 8, 2019 06:42AM keywestfan wrote:

Sandy, would be excellent to get a Chicago group together. Who knows, except the Shadow, what tales we might tell? And, so true, the weather has taken a turn. I don’t mind in my Land’s End puffer. I used to cross the Midway in the blast of winter wearing a jelly green unlined windbreaker and think I was just going to lie down and freeze to death. But now, dressed more fiercely, though never with a hat or hood, it’s easy to walk the 7 or so blocks to the Evanston theatre. Unlike you I get nervous if there’s a movie I haven’t seen. So, tomorrow, after I reread stories for the short story Northwestern class I take, off DH and I will trek to the flicks.

Judy, not Judi

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/24/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Nov 8, 2019 10:05AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Life is not merely a series of meaningless accidents or coincidences, but rather, it's a tapestry of events that culminate in an exquisite sublime plan. -unattributed My life is but a weaving
Between my God and me.
I cannot choose the colors
He weaveth steadily.

Oft' times He weaveth sorrow;
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I the underside.

Not 'til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Will God unroll the canvas
And reveal the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the weaver's skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned

He knows, He loves, He cares;
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives the very best to those
Who leave the choice to Him.

unattributed (often attributed to
Corrie ten Boom, who used it in a
book and often quoted from it.) We are one people forever woven together in a tapestry, . . . And it is our job, our duty and our great challenge to fight the voices of division, and to seek the salve of reconciliation. -Roy Barnes
Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 8, 2019 10:41AM - edited Nov 8, 2019 10:45AM by IllinoisLady

It would be VERY nice if the Chicago group could have another get-together. For old times sake as well as lending their voices and memories in out-reach to those who showed up later on. The group I think ( not sure just how many ) come and read the quotes I leave there still although the group seldom posts.

I will say that so many ( just to name those that stand out ) like Michele T, Susan P, Irene H. and of course the lady who started that wonderful blog Rita H. all worked hard to get me to show up since I'm 4 hrs. South of Chicago ( Maggiano's in Schaumberg which is where the get togethers were held ) but I think a short while afterward it seemed the get-togethers became fewer. I thank those women all the time -- they just don't know it. I've said before I was new to going on a blog so since I felt inadequate about it I often used quotes to fill out how I really felt, but didn't feel so capable of saying in my own words.

The Chicago ladies resonated to it and asked ( this was back in late 2007 ) that I put in an up-lifting quote of inspiration daily. They gave me something to do that pleased and I think often helped everyone stay a bit steadier and stronger and able to plow through many of the less pleasant parts of the cancer process. So, at long last they wanted to personally thank me. They had featured many others before me for a variety of note-worthy traits.

I remember well to this day some of the loving and kind arm-twisting since I didn't see how I could make it happen. They took it on and make it go right. Even Michele T. who was the main person executing the get-togethers and normally the emcee. She finagled getting herself discharged ( no longer contagious ) from the hospital and a case of pneumonia so she could be there. To this day she has no idea what that meant to me ( once I discovered it ) , along with Rita and Susan who gave major pushes to get me there.

A picture and quotes that they presented still hang on my wall and I still have the picture Jan Clare made the yr. before when I mentioned if they would all think of me that I would be there with them. So the yr. before I was there on a table as well. I've never forgotten and still recall with great gratitude how you all made me feel.

So, it would be so nice if all ( or at least several ) could come together to meet other Chicago area ladies that came after. Hope no one minds that I filled out the story a bit, but it was a chance for me to show my gratitude for a group that still evokes my determination ( not so strong at first ) to get well, stay well and honor life -- so much due to them. They are among the special people who have never left my mind for long. Every day when I again put in a quote they become as large as life all over again. Sending love and bet wishes to all.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 9, 2019 09:28AM - edited Nov 9, 2019 09:29AM by IllinoisLady

The Tao Te Ching says, When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need. Have you ever struggled to find work or love, only to find them after you have given up? This is the paradox of letting go. Let go, in order to achieve. Letting go is God's law. -Mary Manin Morrissey

The only things we can keep are the things we freely give to God. What we try to keep for ourselves is just what we are sure to lose. -C.S. Lewis

Nov 10, 2019 09:46AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Once the soul awakens, the search begins and you can never go back. From then
on, you are inflamed with a special longing that will never again let you linger in
the lowlands of complacency and partial fulfillment. The eternal makes you
urgent. You are loath to let compromise or the threat of danger hold you back
from striving toward the summit of fulfillment.

John O'Donohue

Nov 11, 2019 10:17AM IllinoisLady wrote:

If we demand enlightenment, it hides. . . . All that we can do is make ourselves enlightenment-prone. We learn to treasure the possibility of awakening in all moments and circumstances. We learn to simplify and cultivate the receptivity of heart that can be touched by profound understanding. We learn to listen deeply and discover stillness amid the movement in our world. -Christina Feldman

Nov 12, 2019 09:40AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Because it has optimism in it, because it's closely allied to cheerfulness, enthusiasm has the power to lift people over the rough places in life. Which of us does not admire some friend who has proved his or her capacity to endure staggering blows, keeping their sense of humor, their interest in things, their vitality intact? We marvel, as a rule, that such people are able to retain their enthusiasm. The truth probably is that their enthusiasm--the love power inside--is supporting them. -Arthur Gordon

Nov 13, 2019 05:49AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Can we recognize our oneness, though? And what will happen if we
not only start to see that we are connected to the other human beings
in our lives, but also start to live as if that were true? Would we
become more compassionate if we were to recognize the same hopes
and dreams that we have, there in someone else? Would we be able
to help someone else feel more hope in their lives? Would we feel
more at home and at peace in our own places in this world if we were
to keep in mind that we are an important part of the human race, and
that we have many chances every day to improve the lot of humanity
by improving the life of a fellow human being, even in tiny ways?

tom walsh

Nov 14, 2019 09:41AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Hello, sun in my face. Hello you who made the morning and spread it over the fields...Watch, now, how I start the day in happiness, in kindness.

- Mary Oliver -

Nov 15, 2019 08:57AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I am responsible. Although I may not be able to prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character. -Walter Anderson

Nov 16, 2019 09:02AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Everybody avoids the company of those who are always grumbling, who are
full of "ifs" and "buts," and "I told you so's." We like the people who always
look toward the sun, whether it shines or not. It is the cheerful, hopeful people
we go to for sympathy and assistance; not the carping, gloomy critics,--who always
think it is going to rain, and that we are going to have a terribly hot summer,
or a fearful thunder-storm, or who are forever complaining of hard times and
their hard lot. It is the bright, cheerful, hopeful, contented people who makes
their ways, who are respected and admired.
Gloom and depression not only take much out of life, but detract greatly
from the chances of winning success. It is the bright and cheerful
spirit that wins the final triumph.

Orison Swett Marden

Nov 17, 2019 08:42AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Life is a refining process. Our response to it determines whether we'll be ground down or polished up. On a piano, one person sits down and plays sonatas, while another merely bangs away at "Chopsticks." The piano is not responsible. It's how you touch the keys that makes the difference. It's how you play what life gives you that determines your joy and shine. -Barbara Johnson

8 hours ago IllinoisLady wrote:

Mindfulness is being aware of yourself, others, and your surroundings in the moment. When consciously and kindly focusing awareness on life as it unfolds minute by precious minute, you are better able to savor each experience. Also, being closely attentive gives you the opportunity to change unwise or painful feelings and responses quickly. In fact, being truly present in a mindful way is an excellent stress reducer and, because of that, can be seen as consciousness conditioning, a strengthening workout for body, mind, heart, and spirit. -SuePatton Thoele

Page 1112 of 1,112 (33,344 results)