Topic: Success Stories!

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 12:41PM

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 12:41PM

carmelle wrote:

Every now and then I read a post on this forum that talks about somebody who has lived a long time with disease. I know there have even been threads with many node positive success stories and stage IV survival stories.
These have been the most uplifting influences for me on my journey.
In a world of breast cancer where medical staff are so reluctant to offer hope and even we ourselves cannot always see the light I think it would be great to have a compilation of good stories that we could put in our drawer and take out for those days when the "scared" comes out too strongly.Then read just enough to spark that hope again.
I am trying to put together these stories in a booklet format and would love it if anybody could email me stories they know that can shed light on our path.
Here is my email: carmelle@bwr.eastlink.ca
I would love to hear from you.
Michelle

update: 02/23/03
glad to see all the stories. just wanted to say that the booklet idea was just an idea. i think the posts do a great job on their own don't you?
let's keep this to the front if we can for any new people to read or add to. barb, you are excellent for not letting this get lost.
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 2 of 158 (1,575 results)

Jul 10, 2003 11:12AM stella1298 wrote:

This is the best thread!!!

My grandmother had bc 24 years ago, had a mast. and nothing else. She is now 98 and will probably die of old age! Thank you!

Jul 11, 2003 07:51AM jessie wrote:

My grandmother had a mastectomy when she was very young (not sure how old she was) and she died at 87 of something else. My aunt had mastectomy 18 years ago and is now 80 and still going and offering me advise and moral support.
Jessie

Jul 16, 2003 09:30AM Sachi wrote:

This is such a great thread, I hate to see it lost! I'm sure there are many more stories out there that will help to encourage people new to this board!

I just posted the question asking about famous people with BC and there are many responses there - most of them would be considered success stories.

Barb
Sachi

Jul 16, 2003 09:46AM baseballgirl wrote:

My neighbor is a 17 year survivor. She asked what she could do for me when I was diagnosed. I told her the best help was seeing her raking her leaves, working on her garden, walking her dog and just being a healthy retired person was the best medicine in the world!

Jul 16, 2003 09:49AM baseballgirl wrote:

oops, one more. my grandmother died in 1978 and the funeral home contacted her kids to let them know she had had a mastectomy. SHE DIDN'T TELL ANYONE. Funeral home figured the scar was 15-20 years old. No records exist; her doc and my grandfather were long dead. Our guess is that was how a bad biopsy was handled then. She died in her 80's of something else. If she had that surgery today, what a great supportive community she would have had! Glad attitudes have changed!

Jul 16, 2003 10:18AM carmelle wrote:

I don't want to see it lost either and love to read it here. That was the idea anyhow.
My neighbour introduced himself as the son of a 14 year survivor (she was 48 at dx)and had a mastectomy.
She is doing great and you would never know.
Michelle
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 18, 2003 08:57AM njgal wrote:

Famous people ...

let's not forget about Happy Rockefeller and Betty Ford. Weren't they diagnosed about 25 years ago? Still going strong as far as I know.

Elaine

Jul 18, 2003 09:13AM LzTish wrote:

I need a little help and a success story please!
My mother was diagnosed, had a mastectomy and they found involvment in one lymphnode and cancer in 4 places in her spine. They are very small spots (sub-centimeter). She is on Femara and Zometa and a lot of homeopathic and alternative treatments. I am wondering if anyone has a success story regarding BC metastacizing to the spine. It would be a tremendous help to me right now!!
I am grateful.
Liz

Jul 18, 2003 09:53AM Sachi wrote:

Liz,

You might want to start a new topic under the Just Diagnosed section with your question. I know there are ladies who can help you - but they might not see your question here.

Barb
Sachi

Jul 22, 2003 02:07AM Sachi wrote:

Sorry to keep pushing this but I loved Michelle's idea for this thread. I KNOW we have lots more success stories out there to share - so , come on ladies, let's hear about them! This is a great place for all of us to check in for a pick me up and a good place for our new sisters to come to.

Barb
Sachi

Page 2 of 158 (1,575 results)

Scroll to top button