Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Success Stories!

Options
1474849505153»

Comments

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited July 2021
    Options

Bumping for Tracey . . .

• hkkw17
    hkkw17 Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2021
    Options

3 years out today !! Thankful Grateful for each and every moment 🙏🙏🙏🙏

• pure0323
    pure0323 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2021
    Options

Diagnosed 10 years ago today! I was 40 and scared out of my mind that I wouldn't see my son (13 at the time) graduate from High School. He graduated from COLLEGE in May….and I was there to celebrate! I'm so grateful for my life and my family.

• Nico1012
    edited August 2021
    Options

Bumping for Amanda . . .

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2021
    Options

I was DX in 2011. This month it will be 10 years since and I’m still doing fine. My b/c was IDC, Stage 1b, Grade 1. I had a lumpectomy and 33 radiation treatments. I took Tamoxifen for 5 years. My MO said I didn’t need to take them after 5 years. My Oncotype score was 11 with an 8% chance of a recurrence.

So yes there is reason for hope. I’m living proof.

Diane

• Nico1012
    edited August 2021
    Options

WOW, Diane, That's wonderful! Thank you for sharing your story. You're an inspiration to us all!

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited September 2021
    Options

My friend who is now in her 70'S was diagnosed in her 30's. At that time they told her she would probably be dead within five years. She had a recurrence in her 50's. She's still going strong. So, ladies and gents it is possible to beat it. It's now 40 years since her first diagnosis.

In April 2022 it will be five years for me. Each day is a blessing.

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2022
    Options

Can't believe its 2022. Began this thread in March 2003 at age 38. Come back now twice a year. Wanted to check in though because I found it helpful when I was in treatment to see women many years out. To all of you going through. A big HUG. Michelle

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    edited February 2022
    Options

Carmelle, wow 19 years- How wonderful! Love hearing this. Congrats!

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2022
    Options

Today is the 4 year anniversary of my mastectomy. Since then I've gotten married, gotten a rewarding and lucrative new job, hated the ugly spot where my right nipple used to be, struggled with side effects of Toxifen, and most importantly given birth to my beautiful daughter.

I'm grateful that the ups have been more than the downs. Sending hope for the same to anyone reading this who is going through it.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,944
    edited February 2022
    Options

Congratulations, 32B!!

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2022
    Options

32B, Congratulations! I'm right there with you - celebrating 4 years. Enjoy everyday!

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited February 2022
    Options

It was 4 years the end of January for me. Congrats 32B.

• carmelle
    edited March 2022
    Options

Bump

• carmelle
    edited May 2022
    Options

bump

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2023
    Options
    5 years this month for me, you guys! This one feels like a big deal since I now officially get the "survivor" label. For anyone who hasn't gotten this far yet, here are some cool things to look forward to:
    • Being able to check "no" on questionnaires that ask you if you've been diagnosed with cancer in the last five years (there are certain things you can't do before that, like enter clinical trials for unrelated conditions, or donate your baby's umbilical cord blood)
    • See your surgeon's assistant rather than the doctor himself or herself
    • Go down to annual instead of bi-annual oncologist visits
    • STOP GETTING MRI'S OMG THIS ONE IS SUCH A BIG DEAL FOR ME I'M SO CLAUSTROPHIC AND I ABSOLUTELY HATE THEM (also something about my insurance recently changed and I just got a bill for a $700 copay for my last one. Sheesh.)
  • creative61661
    creative61661 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2023
    Options

My mom was diagnosed in 1992 and she had 6 positive lymph nodes. She had a lumpectomy and radiation followed by 5 years of tamoxifin. Five years later, she found a lump in the other breast. It was a new primary cancer. She had a lumpectomy and radiation. I went with her to every medical appointment she had over the years. She just passed away in 2021 at the ripe old age of 95. She basically just wore out and she had a wonderful life!

I just had an alarming mammogram and ultrasound that are necessitating two biopsies next week. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Through my fright and anxiety, I keep reminding myself of her awesome life span.

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 40
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am 39 years old and in the UK, I have stage 2B grade 3 IDC in one breast (3.5cm) and a grade 1 IDC in the other (7mm). I also have 3 to 5 lymph nodes involved. I have done four chemotherapy sessions - surgery due in July. I am ER PR+ HER2-.

I just wanted to say I have gone through every single page of this thread and it has buoyed me hugely.

I have felt doomed for recurrence because of my age, grade, lymph node involvement, bilateral cancer, high ki-67 score, blah blah. I had some dark thoughts. I thought why bother saving for retirement, I’m not going to make it? Why bother improving my house, or even buying new clothes? I won’t be here soon.

But these messages have really provided me with some hope. I know none of us can be risk free (even those without any cancer!) and I hope my fear will get better as the (hopefully many) years go on.

Thanks to Carmelle for starting this thread. I have written your name, and many of the people who have posted in this thread, in a little book I have. I read over it and repeat your names and wish you all happiness and health for the future.

All my love

Clars / Claire

• carmelle
    Options

thank you Clars. Hope you are doing well. Don’t check in often. Find the new boards difficult to navigate. Michelle

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

Thank you for posting success stories. Can you please include the type of cancer, and how many nodes were involved? Just so we know how many stage 0 or stage III survive for over 30 years?

• fd1
    fd1 Member Posts: 55
    Options

It has been 12 years since diagnosis (12.5 since I found the lump) for me! It was a 2.4 cm tumor with 2 positive nodes, +/+/-. I am now 42 and I have a 3 year old that I naturally conceived at 38. I had some small bumps pop up in November which were thankfully scar tissue (benign). The excision site got infected and would not heal so the old implant had to be removed. When they removed it, they found it had ruptured. I have a tissue expander now and will have another reconstruction by the summer. In the end, this is a happy circumstance as the skin around my scar was so badly damaged (blue and purple) from the radiation and the implant was sitting incredibly high. I wanted it redone but when my son was a bit older. The tissue expander has only been filled minimally and the aesthetic is already so much improved. I am excited that I may be able to wear low cut clothes again after a decade of hiding. 🤩

• carmelle
    Options

bumping…

• ubershop7
    ubershop7 Member Posts: 32
    Options

My mom was diagnosed in 1983 at age 58 and had a lumpectomy, rads, chemo and quit her tamoxifen 2 months in, which I am not sure why she had to take it since she had already had a hysterectomy a few years prior. Hers was stage 2. She lived with no recurrence or any medical issues until age 90. I was diagnosed at age 50. My moms survival with no recurrence kept me positive through the whole ordeal. I am 8 years out with no issues, but had a couple scares which turned out to be benign. I am finally down to once a year follow ups.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

It will be 10 years since diagnosis for me in March. I have been on Arimidex the entire time and due to come off of it December 20th. I've had a couple of scares for a recurrence in my other breast, but turned out both times to be nothing.

We threw "the book at it" and so far so good!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Happy 2024!

I just marked 18 years since diagnosis. I do have other health issues and a second cancer, but all my doctors say none of these issues are related to BC or BC treatment. Living life!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,943
    Options

Congratulations, ladies! And thank you all for keeping this thread alive with your inspiring stories and support. Wishing you health for many more years.

The Mods