We are 186,053 members in 80 forums discussing 140,354 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Biographies and Inspiring Stories → Topic: Success Stories!

Topic: Success Stories!

Forum: Biographies and Inspiring Stories —

Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 03:41PM

Carmelle wrote:

Every now and then I read a post on this forum that talks about somebody who has lived a long time with disease. I know there have even been threads with many node positive success stories and stage IV survival stories.
These have been the most uplifting influences for me on my journey.
In a world of breast cancer where medical staff are so reluctant to offer hope and even we ourselves cannot always see the light I think it would be great to have a compilation of good stories that we could put in our drawer and take out for those days when the "scared" comes out too strongly.Then read just enough to spark that hope again.
I am trying to put together these stories in a booklet format and would love it if anybody could email me stories they know that can shed light on our path.
Here is my email: carmelle@bwr.eastlink.ca
I would love to hear from you.
Michelle

update: 02/23/03
glad to see all the stories. just wanted to say that the booklet idea was just an idea. i think the posts do a great job on their own don't you?
let's keep this to the front if we can for any new people to read or add to. barb, you are excellent for not letting this get lost.
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 46 of 46 (1,360 results)

Posts 1351 - 1360 (1,360 total)

Feb 23, 2017 07:09PM ruthbru wrote:

Congratulations, Carmelle!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 25, 2017 07:39AM Carmelle wrote:

You will be Falconer. Enjoy every day with your family. HUGS

Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 1, 2017 11:36PM ladyb1234 wrote:

Congratulations Carmelle!

Once or twice in our lives, we are given the chance to find out just how much inner strength we possess. Usually we find we have far more than we ever imagined. (Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me). Dx 6/9/2014, IDC, Left, Grade 2, 8/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary

Apr 1, 2017 01:25PM Nico1012 wrote:

Congratulations Carmelle! I am 9 years out and living the life of my dreams. As Carmelle said, "You can do this." YES, YOU CAN!

Dx 4/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Grade 3, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 1, 2017 04:26PM Lucy55 wrote:

Carmelle ..Congrats and thank you for staying this wonderful thread !!

Nico ..Yay ..9 years is wonderful !!

Dx 8/27/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2014

Apr 2, 2017 09:53PM HoneyBeaw wrote:

All you ladies that are 8-9 yrs out . What secrets do you have you can share . Any special diets, exercise . How do you keep that positive attitude. Does BC still consume your everyday or does that get better ?. Any tips, in-site you can give would be so appreciated .

Thanks

Surgery 11/27/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/5/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/26/2016 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 2, 2017 10:26PM - edited Apr 2, 2017 10:31PM by ruthbru

Here are some of my tips: Food, I love food and eat what I want, but I do keep my weight in a normal range and try to eat relatively healthy. Exercise is a great natural mood enhancer and is the biggest non-medical thing you can do to REDUCE your chance of recurrence. I am very, very committed to exercise (if you want to have some exercise buddies, check out the Let's Post Our Daily Exercise thread on the Fitness Forum, a great group of ladies at every stage of treatment & beyond, and every fitness level too). Shop; go buy a new wardrobe, get a new hairstyle/color, when you look good, you do feel better. Travel; go some places you've been wanting to see and do things you've been wanting to do. Commit; sign up for a class, join a choir, learn Chinese, volunteer, when you are busy doing/thinking of other things then there is not as much time to think about cancer. It is also a good time to get OUT of things that you do not want to be doing any more! Schedule worry: decide how much time you will worry about this (one hour a day or whatever) and after that you have to go do something else. Relaxation techniques: I have quite a few Ocean Waves, soft music etc. CDs that I play, also a self hypnosis stress reduction CD that works remarkably well. Other things: I rarely drink alcohol, and if I do indulge, never more than one or, at the most, two drinks in an evening. I also take a daily low dose aspirin, which may reduce recurrence risk (check with your doctor before starting that).

It is weird because at first cancer and thinking about cancer consumes you; but if you are busy living an active and interesting life; one day it will be noon, or bedtime, and you will (much to your surprise) realize that you haven't thought about cancer all that day. And time will eventually give you a physiological distance....kind of like childbirth maybe, I remember that it was painful but I don't remember the pain itself.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 2, 2017 11:18PM lrwells50 wrote:

This is a great thread!

My mother was diagnosed in 1974 at age 56 and had a radical mastectomy and radiation. 8 years later she had it in the remaining breast, and had another mastectomy. She died at age 86 of complications from COPD. I wish I knew what kind of cancer it was.

Dx 12/5/2016, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/8/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 7, 2017 08:32AM Kiascia wrote:

bump

Apr 15, 2017 08:19PM Nico1012 wrote:

Very wise advice, Ruthbru. Thank You for posting.

Dx 4/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Grade 3, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 46 of 46 (1,360 results)