Topic: Cannabis Basics

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 07:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 03:07PM by exbrnxgrl

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 07:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 03:07PM by exbrnxgrl

exbrnxgrl wrote:

I have been using cannabis for the past few years. My main goal in using this is pain relief, de-stressor and for sleep. I have read some stories of using cannabis to cure cancer, but there is simply not enough data for me topursue it's use for that purpose.

Let me start by saying that I live in a legal state, both medical and recreational. My purchases and self experimentation are just that, my own personal experience. Your experiences may be different. If you're wondering why there isn't more scientific based research on weed, it is still completely illegal on the federal level, so not many research dollars available.

Cannabinols are the active ingredients in cannabis. With some variations, the major cannabinols are CBD and THC. CBD is not psychoactive, THC is. Cannabis plants fall into two major categories, Sativa and Indica. Indicas are known to be more sedating. This is the stuff that creates โ€œcouch lock". Sativas are thought to be more energizing. It gives more of a giggly high and is less sedating. On top of this there are many hybrids.

In addition to knowing if your weed is Sativa or Indica, different strains within each category will have varying amounts/ratios of CBD to THC. If you live in a legal state, this information should be available on the packaging. Other very important info on the packaging will be percentages of these ingredients. For instance, due to my high tolerance, I generally look for products that are at least 20% THC, 5% CBD , though for sleep I prefer a 1:1 ratio. The higher the CBD level to THC, the less โ€œhigh" you will feel.

Strains... what can I say except there are hundreds, especially with all of the hybridization and mixing of strains. Here are some favorites:

Sativa- Durban Poison, Jack Herrer, Lemon Haze

Indica- Gorilla Glue, most Kush strains, Zkittlez

I have tried most, but not all, of the available forms cannabis come in. Edibles are great but for me, the time from consumption to onset of effects has been very inconsistent. Some of the edibles such as cookies and candy bars are so delicious that you can wind up eating lots of sugar! Vaping was ok, but gave me a sore throat so I no longer vape.

I prefer capsules or sub-lingual drops and use a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio. This is what I usually take about 90 minutes before bed or even earlier. For immediate effects, I find there is no substitute for smoking a joint.

My only advice for those who are interested in cannabis is to go low (dosage) and slow(wait some time before taking more). If you have access to a legal dispensary, the bud tenders are usually quite knowledgeable and can advise you. In the end, it boiled down to a lot of self experimentation and too many Kiva brand dark chocolate bars ๐Ÿคฃ. BTW, if you consume too much THC, i.e. you get too high, CBD can help counteract that.

While not an expert, I have years of personal experience under my belt and am happy to share what I have learned. As with anything that has psychoactive effects please do not drive or do anything that requires an unimpaired state of mind to do. I should add that I only use cannabis at night as I still work full time*. Lastly, if you are not in a legal state or simply choose not to use legal dispensaries there is no way to know what you're getting. In my state, the legal dispensaries are very expensive due to high taxes, but I am willing to pay that because I know what I'm getting (this includes if it is organic, indoor or outdoor grow etc.)

* Iโ€™m now retired! 6/4/2

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 14 of 14 (135 results)

Mar 27, 2022 01:12PM - edited Mar 27, 2022 01:13PM by simone60

exbrnxgrl,

Thanks for the tip. I think gummies are becoming my new to to candy. Loopy

Dx 7/2001, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2019, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Oct 1, 2022 10:52AM - edited Oct 1, 2022 10:53AM by wondering44

exbrnxgrl,

Excellent read! Thank you so much! Too bad this isn't shared by facilities to anyone experiencing AI SEs.
๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

I didn't get a choice in getting cancer. I do get to choose how I live each day after. Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 1, 2022 11:42AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

wondering44,

Lack of sharing information with patients is due to a few things. Cannabis remains federally illegal and is considered to be in the same class as heroin, Schedule I. This means that the drug has no useful medical purpose. Thisreally strangles a lot of research and, of course, eliminates federally funded research. States that do have some form of legal cannabis are also subject to strict state laws but these are not consistent across states. Itโ€™s quite the conundrum. You can also understand why doctors, given the dearth of science based research, may be hesitant to speak with patients about this. No one can speak of cannabis use the same way we speak of prescription drugs. What form of cannabis is best for what symptoms? Whatโ€™s a good dosage and/or mix of cannabinoids (the primary ones being THC and CBD)? How often should it be used? These questions can only be answered, for the most part, with self experimentation which is something that makes most doctors very uncomfortable. Yes, bud tenders in a good dispensary can guide you in the right direction but self experimentation is quite common. Take care

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 16, 2022 04:49AM gb2115 wrote:

I recently bought low dose CBD oil to try for increasing AI joint pain and stiffness. I took a mini dose yesterday, to check for allergies.

Now I read that CBD and Tylenol can interact since they follow the same metabolic pathways in the liver. I can't use nsaids or aspirin, so Tylenol is my one allowed painkiller. I get pretty debilitating headaches at times, which require Tylenol (often several subsequent doses) to control. Has anyone had this type of discussion with a doctor? I plan to ask but it might be a bit before I have the opportunity.

First Dx IDC in 10/16 at age 38, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Second Dx IDC recurrence in original location 5/21. 1.3 cm ER/PR+, Her2 -. Grade 2. 2/2 nodes. UMX + AC/T + Zoladex/Exemestane + Zometa.

Oct 16, 2022 11:53AM - edited Oct 16, 2022 12:49PM by wondering44

I started with Delta 9. It is legal in my state, so easy access. It has been a gift to the AI SEs. It has also helped my sex life. It's been great to have help with that diminished "O." It has worked wonders in that area. I have had to add some CBD to counteract the "buzz" while figuring out the correct dosage. I did add the comedy movies while working that out. It is also great to help with getting a full night of sleep. ๐Ÿ™

I did add it to my list of medications during my last Oncology visit. I didn't see the harm in being forthcoming, considering I went from zero meds before cancer to a small home pharmacy after cancer. I am glad to know there are options other than prescription meds to help me through the AI battle.

I could not be more grateful for this thread and shared information.

exbrngrl, ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

I didn't get a choice in getting cancer. I do get to choose how I live each day after. Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 14 of 14 (135 results)

Scroll to top button