Topic: Cannabis Basics

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 09:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 05:07PM by exbrnxgrl

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 09:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 05:07PM by exbrnxgrl

exbrnxgrl wrote:

I have been using cannabis for the past few years. My main goal in using this is pain relief, de-stressor and for sleep. I have read some stories of using cannabis to cure cancer, but there is simply not enough data for me topursue it's use for that purpose.

Let me start by saying that I live in a legal state, both medical and recreational. My purchases and self experimentation are just that, my own personal experience. Your experiences may be different. If you're wondering why there isn't more scientific based research on weed, it is still completely illegal on the federal level, so not many research dollars available.

Cannabinols are the active ingredients in cannabis. With some variations, the major cannabinols are CBD and THC. CBD is not psychoactive, THC is. Cannabis plants fall into two major categories, Sativa and Indica. Indicas are known to be more sedating. This is the stuff that creates “couch lock". Sativas are thought to be more energizing. It gives more of a giggly high and is less sedating. On top of this there are many hybrids.

In addition to knowing if your weed is Sativa or Indica, different strains within each category will have varying amounts/ratios of CBD to THC. If you live in a legal state, this information should be available on the packaging. Other very important info on the packaging will be percentages of these ingredients. For instance, due to my high tolerance, I generally look for products that are at least 20% THC, 5% CBD , though for sleep I prefer a 1:1 ratio. The higher the CBD level to THC, the less “high" you will feel.

Strains... what can I say except there are hundreds, especially with all of the hybridization and mixing of strains. Here are some favorites:

Sativa- Durban Poison, Jack Herrer, Lemon Haze

Indica- Gorilla Glue, most Kush strains, Zkittlez

I have tried most, but not all, of the available forms cannabis come in. Edibles are great but for me, the time from consumption to onset of effects has been very inconsistent. Some of the edibles such as cookies and candy bars are so delicious that you can wind up eating lots of sugar! Vaping was ok, but gave me a sore throat so I no longer vape.

I prefer capsules or sub-lingual drops and use a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio. This is what I usually take about 90 minutes before bed or even earlier. For immediate effects, I find there is no substitute for smoking a joint.

My only advice for those who are interested in cannabis is to go low (dosage) and slow(wait some time before taking more). If you have access to a legal dispensary, the bud tenders are usually quite knowledgeable and can advise you. In the end, it boiled down to a lot of self experimentation and too many Kiva brand dark chocolate bars 🤣. BTW, if you consume too much THC, i.e. you get too high, CBD can help counteract that.

While not an expert, I have years of personal experience under my belt and am happy to share what I have learned. As with anything that has psychoactive effects please do not drive or do anything that requires an unimpaired state of mind to do. I should add that I only use cannabis at night as I still work full time*. Lastly, if you are not in a legal state or simply choose not to use legal dispensaries there is no way to know what you're getting. In my state, the legal dispensaries are very expensive due to high taxes, but I am willing to pay that because I know what I'm getting (this includes if it is organic, indoor or outdoor grow etc.)

* I’m now retired! 6/4/2

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 6 of 14 (131 results)

Feb 23, 2020 01:18PM edj3 wrote:

Well I've done what I can to order non-THC product. The website spelled out the difference between isolate and full spectrum. Aside from any illegality in my state, I'd still prefer not to feel stoned. When I tried pot in the past, I generally barfed.

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Surgery 5/6/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/3/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 7, 2020 01:16PM edj3 wrote:

Another question for you all. A friend gave me her CBD gummies for insomnia (they did nothing for her). They seem to be working for me, or at least helping a bit. Do any of you use these, and where do you order them?

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Surgery 5/6/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/3/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 7, 2020 01:32PM - edited Mar 7, 2020 02:17PM by exbrnxgrl

edj3,

I like a little THC with my CBD, so I usually buy 1:1 or 2:1 formulas. I live in a legal state so I buy mine at one of my local dispensaries. They sell pure CBD products as well, but the high quality, quality controlled and well labeled, is pricey. I realize that this is not much help if you're not in a legal state

ETA: Cannabis Sativa derived CBD is highly regulated and that is what is sold in legal dispensaries. CBD products sold online or in other general outlets are hemp derived. Different plants, same family

Nov 23, 2020 10:59PM moth wrote:

thank you for this thread.

Im.having a no good, very bad day and even though I live in Vancouver, I can't even begin to figure out where to buy and what to ask for. I've at least got some ideas now.

I have a growing lung met so smoking or vaping are not gonna happen. I'm looking at oils. Saw something which is 30:1 (Sun Oil) so maybe something like that to start? 1mg thc/drop for this cannabis naive girl might be good place to start

Anyway, thanks for the bud 101

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/16/2020 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External Local Metastases 3/3/2021 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 1/1/2022 Trodelvy (sacituzumab govitecan-hziy) Chemotherapy 6/1/2022 Other

Nov 23, 2020 11:59PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Hi moth,

One thing that really helped me was to find a dispensary that has bud tenders who are experienced with medical patients. California was originally medical only so the bud tenders only worked with medical clients. I found their knowledge very helpful. Call around to dispensaries in your area and/or check out online reviews. Tinctures and sub-lingual drops are a good way to consume and don’t have the sugar and calories of some of the delicious edibles

May 22, 2021 04:49PM gailmary wrote:

Hi exbrngrl,

Kinda a newbie here with pot and anxious to use once it's legal here. Please clarify for me, you say you like a little thc in the mix like 1:1. That's like half the contents. That's not so little to me. 20 parts cbd to one part thc would be weaker. But still isn't it alot to do with how much you consume, thus start low, go slow.?

Have you tried thca for less if a high?

I have high school experience 40 yrs ago and wonder how I will tolerate it. Tried CBD from hemp and found it helps a bit for pain. A sleep aid would be nice too. Didn't help there.

Dx 11/25/2008, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/13/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 5/24/2017 Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole)

May 22, 2021 09:17PM - edited May 23, 2021 11:20AM by exbrnxgrl

Hi gailmary,

Yes, 1:1 is a ratio only for the experienced and if you don't mind feeling high but I have a very high tolerance to THC and I don't mind the high feeling. For those new to cannabis, look for 24:1 formulas or something in that range in general, but remember we have different tolerances. If your CBD to THC ratio is greater than 5:1 you won't feel high. Yes, how much you consume makes a difference but edibles, tinctures, capsules etc. specify dosing which allows you to control your consumption. For example, I take a high THC tincture with added magnesium and melatonin (It's called Lights Out 😂). Each dropper full contains 33 mg of THC. Even though that's the recommended dose it would be too intense for those new to cannabis. So it's not about the quantity but rather how much THC and CBD a dose/serving contains. So consider not only total cannabinoids in the product but how much THC/CBD per dose. Also, if it's been 40 years since you tried cannabis, you will have no residual tolerance. As a matter of fact if I find that my response to cannabis is not what I want, I stop using it for 5-7 days so the cannabinoid receptors in my brain do a bit of a reset. This is a common practice for those who use regularly.

Since I don't mind the high, I've not focused on THCa but have had it in some of the products I've bought. I also want to be clear that I don't work, drive or do anything that requires one to be sober when I use. Unfortunately, when it became legal more than a few people forgot that driving or doing other important things when high is just as bad as doing those things when drunk!

Jun 21, 2021 10:27AM gokale4320 wrote:

Hi

I am intrigued by the potential benefits of CBD oil. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this product in the link, a full-spectrum CBD, is similar to what I should look for in a product?

https://cltcbd.com/products/hemplucid-usda-organic...

It's expensive so I'm thinking it might be a legit full-spectrum CBD. The only thing is that I can see exactly what's in it. I am just at a loss at trying to find a good product to try.

Thanks!

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, <1cm Chemo 2/16/17 Cytoxan Taxotere x4 Radiation 6/8/2017, natural alternative to tamoxifen 3/2021 Stage 4 - mets to bones. Ibrance and Letrozole and Xgeva Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 21, 2021 11:38AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Go Kale,

You are looking at a hemp derived CBD product. CBD can be extracted from both hemp and cannabis plants. Hemp is a kissing cousin of cannabis but contains a trace amount of THC. I believe the THC content is less than .03 %. CBD derived from cannabis can also contain trace amounts of THC or it can be produced to contain almost any amount of CBD:THC.I have only used cannabis derived products because I have always purchased from a legal dispensary but I am told that whether hemp derived or cannabis derived, the effects are the same. Yes, it is expensive, the cannabis derived products are usually more expensive than the hemp derived (but this may be due to the fact that in my state hemp derived products can be sold almost anywhere whereas cannabis derived products can only be sold in legal dispensaries). I should mention that I also only buy from a dispensary because I feel CBD works best for me with some THC . So while I can’t speak to the specific product you’re looking at, I would consider going to a dispensary, if you’re in a legal state, to start your CBD exploration with a quality product. Hope this helps!

Jun 21, 2021 01:45PM gokale4320 wrote:

I have read online that full-spectrum CBD that includes THC has some cancer-killing properties. I am not sure if I should believe this, and I am not asking anyone to confirm this, but if there's a tiny chance that this could be true, then I want to try it. Currently, pain is controlled with Alleve and Tramodol, but one day I may need CBD oil for pain. Unfortunately, I don't live in a legal state, and I have pondered traveling to one. We are flying this summer to a couple places, but I fear getting caught by TSA with my THC (lol). So I am limited to buying online. The price doesn't bother me if it's the best product available to me. Should I look for something with a little more THC? Or should the first bottle I buy be low THC and then graduate to a higher level of THC?

Thank you!

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, <1cm Chemo 2/16/17 Cytoxan Taxotere x4 Radiation 6/8/2017, natural alternative to tamoxifen 3/2021 Stage 4 - mets to bones. Ibrance and Letrozole and Xgeva Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 6 of 14 (131 results)

Scroll to top button