Topic: Cannabis Basics

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 09:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 05:07PM by exbrnxgrl

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 09:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 05:07PM by exbrnxgrl

exbrnxgrl wrote:

I have been using cannabis for the past few years. My main goal in using this is pain relief, de-stressor and for sleep. I have read some stories of using cannabis to cure cancer, but there is simply not enough data for me topursue it's use for that purpose.

Let me start by saying that I live in a legal state, both medical and recreational. My purchases and self experimentation are just that, my own personal experience. Your experiences may be different. If you're wondering why there isn't more scientific based research on weed, it is still completely illegal on the federal level, so not many research dollars available.

Cannabinols are the active ingredients in cannabis. With some variations, the major cannabinols are CBD and THC. CBD is not psychoactive, THC is. Cannabis plants fall into two major categories, Sativa and Indica. Indicas are known to be more sedating. This is the stuff that creates “couch lock". Sativas are thought to be more energizing. It gives more of a giggly high and is less sedating. On top of this there are many hybrids.

In addition to knowing if your weed is Sativa or Indica, different strains within each category will have varying amounts/ratios of CBD to THC. If you live in a legal state, this information should be available on the packaging. Other very important info on the packaging will be percentages of these ingredients. For instance, due to my high tolerance, I generally look for products that are at least 20% THC, 5% CBD , though for sleep I prefer a 1:1 ratio. The higher the CBD level to THC, the less “high" you will feel.

Strains... what can I say except there are hundreds, especially with all of the hybridization and mixing of strains. Here are some favorites:

Sativa- Durban Poison, Jack Herrer, Lemon Haze

Indica- Gorilla Glue, most Kush strains, Zkittlez

I have tried most, but not all, of the available forms cannabis come in. Edibles are great but for me, the time from consumption to onset of effects has been very inconsistent. Some of the edibles such as cookies and candy bars are so delicious that you can wind up eating lots of sugar! Vaping was ok, but gave me a sore throat so I no longer vape.

I prefer capsules or sub-lingual drops and use a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio. This is what I usually take about 90 minutes before bed or even earlier. For immediate effects, I find there is no substitute for smoking a joint.

My only advice for those who are interested in cannabis is to go low (dosage) and slow(wait some time before taking more). If you have access to a legal dispensary, the bud tenders are usually quite knowledgeable and can advise you. In the end, it boiled down to a lot of self experimentation and too many Kiva brand dark chocolate bars 🤣. BTW, if you consume too much THC, i.e. you get too high, CBD can help counteract that.

While not an expert, I have years of personal experience under my belt and am happy to share what I have learned. As with anything that has psychoactive effects please do not drive or do anything that requires an unimpaired state of mind to do. I should add that I only use cannabis at night as I still work full time*. Lastly, if you are not in a legal state or simply choose not to use legal dispensaries there is no way to know what you're getting. In my state, the legal dispensaries are very expensive due to high taxes, but I am willing to pay that because I know what I'm getting (this includes if it is organic, indoor or outdoor grow etc.)

* I’m now retired! 6/4/2

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 7 of 14 (135 results)

Jun 21, 2021 03:12PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Please remember that anything you may read about cannabis and cancer killing properties is not well researched or supported by scientific evidence. As I’ve said before, it is doubtful we will see this much needed research until cannabis becomes federally legal since this makes funding of such research difficult if not impossible. I believe cannabis has unrealized medical potential but I’m not ready to accept the paltry amount of evidence we have. I would love to see large research based studies to determine if this potential can be realized.

I too use Aleve during the day but use cannabis at night. I have a very high tolerance to THC so I use either 2:1 or 1:1 formulations. Yes, it does make me feel high but I don’t mind and I’m still fully functional but wouldn’t do anything like drive, of course. Depending on your experience with cannabis my best advice is to go low and slow, i.e. start with high CBD:low THC ratio and take the smallest recommended dose. You will have to do a bit of self experimentation to find your sweet spot. If used regularly you will likely develop some tolerance to THC and may want to change formulations. BTW, if you feel too high, pure CBD will counteract the THC and bring you down. Self experimentation, unfortunately, is what most of us do. A knowledgeable bud tender in a legal dispensary is usually a good source of info, particularly if they have experience with medical use so if you’re in a legal state, take advantage of that. Lastly, without providing details, I have first hand knowledge of folks flying (domestically) who packed their cannabis in their checked luggage and had no problems. Formulas sold in capsules that look like vitamin E can be put in unmarked containers and I know many who do that. Because laws vary by state, there are still many challenges but it’s way better than buying illegally and never being sure of what you’re getting. Take care

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 22, 2021 08:51AM flashlight wrote:

Hi GoKale4320, We don't have walk in dispensaries where I am and I haven't had this conversation with my MO for a script. I ordered from Charlotte's Web their 15mg hemp extract CBD capsules. The company was listed as a good stock to buy and my husband looked in to it. I found that if I took it at night, within an hour from taking tamoxifen, I was wired all night. Yesterday, I took it at dinner time and was completely relaxed an hour or so later. Maybe it has to do with the hormonal therapy or me! I am on my 3rd jar of CBD Deep Relief Cream (500mg) from A88CBD. My daughter is using it for her wrist tendonitis. I tried others and they didn't work for me. exbrnxgrl, has been very helpful in her posts!

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Jun 22, 2021 09:32AM gokale4320 wrote:

Exbrnxgrl and Flashlight - Thank you for your information. I think I will try to find a full-spectrum CBD oil with a little THC and give it a try. It will be interesting to see if I really can order it online or if I find out they won't ship to my location.

I used Charlotte's Web balm on my achy legs back in January, and it worked well. I found it on the shelf at CVS. It worked like Tiger Balm. I will look online at Charlotte's Web and see what else is out there that I might be able to order online.

Once I have some CBD oil and give it a try, I will give an update. Thank You!!

Wishing everyone the BEST!

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, <1cm Chemo 2/16/17 Cytoxan Taxotere x4 Radiation 6/8/2017, natural alternative to tamoxifen 3/2021 Stage 4 - mets to bones. Ibrance and Letrozole and Xgeva Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 22, 2021 03:45PM nola70115 wrote:

My state only allows cannabis-based products that are produced from plants grown by the state university's agriculture program. It's pretty ridiculously restrictive. Hemp-based CBD, on the other hand, can be sold by anybody who has registered with the state, so that's available just about everywhere. I live in the largest city in the state, and we have one dispensary that handles the state grown product. My IM doctor wasn't very familiar with the products that are available, so he just got me a script for THC oil. It's all THC, no CBD. I have some OTC hemp-based CBD oil, but it has no info on it on dosage so I'm just experimenting.

The THC alone is good for helping me sleep. If I take enough to I feel anything, it's too much. It does not generate a pleasant high at all. I actually wonder if my state deliberately grew plants that produce undesirable psychoactive effects, because they're so opposed to the possibility that someone might get high. They'd really rather people suffer than let anybody get high.

Age 40 at first diagnosis, 47 now. I've got an autistic teenager and a toddler to live for. See my 2014 blog at snarkforthecure.wordpress.com. Dx 4/15/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2014 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy 6/20/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/8/2021, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/22/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 22, 2021 04:10PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Nola,

Even though your state has more strict growing terms than mine, there is a lot of hybridization in the cannabis industry but I have never heard of growing hybrids to produce undesirable psychoactive effects! What is more likely is that your dosing on the THC oil is too high (sorry, bad pun). That has happened to me once or twice and even I, a seasoned cannabis user, found it unpleasant. My first suggestion would be to make sure that you are taking very small doses until you build tolerance. Look at the bottle and note the total mg.’s of THC. Most bottles will also make a dosing suggestion. If you have followed that suggestion and are still finding the high uncomfortable, then cut that dose in half. Is there any way to get a hold of a high CBD low THC formula? This is, in my mind, a far better intro to cannabis for those who are not experienced users. Also, if you do feel an unpleasant high pure CBD will counteract it.

Lastly, if it’s any consolation, since the legal industry is still in its infancy and hard core research is scarce, most of us have to do a lot of self experimentation to find what works. Take care.

Jun 22, 2021 04:57PM nola70115 wrote:

Yes, I definitely cut back from the dosage level that made me feel uncomfortable. I'd started at .25 mg for a few days, then went to .5 mg and then to .75 mg, all not feeling anything. Then I went to 1 mg and it was way too much. I've gone back to .5 in the evening and I don't feel much but it helps me sleep. I think my general anxiety level is better too. Next time I see the doctor I'm going to ask him to adjust the script to give me an open order, so I can talk with the guy at the dispensary and he can suggest a CBD/THC blend.

Age 40 at first diagnosis, 47 now. I've got an autistic teenager and a toddler to live for. See my 2014 blog at snarkforthecure.wordpress.com. Dx 4/15/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2014 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy 6/20/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/8/2021, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/22/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 22, 2021 11:19PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

It is so strange to see that even among the legal states, whether medical, adult use or both, how one actually procures cannabis varies widely. I live in San Jose, CA. Most of the dispensaries here offer online ordering and free delivery 🚚🤷🏻♀️.

Jun 23, 2021 02:33AM runor wrote:

In high school smoking pot, which I did a handful of times, hurled me into such a state of gasping terror and anxiety I could never understand how anyone could consider feeling that way 'recreational'?

Fast forward 40 years and I'm growing the stuff in my basement and garden. Growing it. Using it is a whole other story. Started out as an attempt to help Hub sleep. He can fall asleep anywhere, like with his face in a plate of spaghetti. But he can't stay asleep. A few hours later he is awake and that's all the sleep he gets. I grew 4 huge Death Bubba plants. For a light sleep aid this is the wrong weed! But it's what I had and I had a lot of it so I began experimenting. He smoked some. WHOA! Not good! He used to be quite a stoner in our younger years but now he just slumps on the sofa, leaning off to one side making a steady groaning noise and clutching his chest. I was not stupid enough to even try smoking any of that stuff.

I decided to try making some tincture but went for only partially decarbing the weed in order to activate only a small portion of the THC potential. I was trying to make this potent weed less potent. Decarbed at a slightly lower temp and shorter time than recommended. We wanted gentle relaxation, not body crushing couch-lock. Then soaked this partly decarbed weed in the highest proof vodka I could find for a week or more. Strained.  About a half teaspoon held under tongue for 30 seconds or so and then spit out (never swallowed as that is a different effect) produced an eye watering burning sensation under the tongue that made you stomp your foot and swear while not swallowing and not spitting out yet. This also gave Hub pretty serious couch-lock. But me? It gave me a weird sensation like my eyeballs were on delay. As in, if I turned my head to look at something it took my eyeballs a second or two to follow my head. Very weird. But it did not have near the effect on me as on Hub. I was happy about that. That overwhelming paranoia from my teens is not forgotten. But it tasted like shit and really was very painful under the tongue, so I dumped it all down the sink. I made about 4 batches 4 different ways and never got the desired effect. Wasted weed, wasted vodka.

Now we're back to smoking it for sleep and easing  muscle pains.  But my fear of fear is still an obstacle. So I blend my marijuana. Example: I take a high THC strain like Death Bubba or Gorilla Glue, grind just a pinch of that with a bigger pinch of HEMP and then a pinch of Simply Pure CBD or Lemon Pie CBD and make a custom blend for smoking. We DO NOT roll this into a joint  but have a one-hitter, just big enough for maybe two tokes and that's it, she's all burned up. No chance of overdoing it. The hemp and CBD strains take the edge off the THC. The two taken together (CBD & THC) have what is called the 'entourage' effect. That they work better in concert than on their own. I think. I really like the leveling out effect that hemp has when blended with high THC cannabis. I blend hemp with the CBD too  just to make a mellower experience. If THC is a strong cup of coffee, CBD would be the sugar and hemp would be the smooth, thick cream. I would encourage people to get some hemp and grind tiny blends at different amounts of THC, CBD and hemp and see how it works for you.

I am also collecting raspberry leaf, rose petals, mullein leaf and lavender to blend with my THC , CBD and hemp. A dried rose petal has a very unique aroma rolled with other ingredients in a joint. I am interested in Damiana too but know nothing about it. Does not grow here would have to purchase it. 

As for Hub's sleep, he has not found that he sleeps any longer after taking a small hit before bed. HOWEVER...he sleeps much more soundly, like a dead man, unmoving. No tossing and turning. Just lays down and does not move until he gets up. For the first time in YEARS he actually said, "wow, I feel pretty good today!" And that is something!!

I am happy I found this thread because I have a question that I thought might be kind of stupid, and probably is. But a few times now we have smoked a one hitter or if there's a friend over, a small joint and Hub and friend get more stoned than expected, but me? Nothing. I sit there looking at them and wondering why I'm feeling normal. Not even eye-ball delay. We all smoked the same weed, all took the same amount of draws, they are stoned and I am...not. I have wondered if tamoxifen, which acts as a block on certain receptors, doesn't also act to block cannabis from being taken up by certain receptors? I know this is a long shot and wildly unlikely. But as the only one in the room smoking dope but not stoned and the only one taking tamoxifen, this thought has crossed my mind. 

Dx 3/23/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 7/5/2017 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 23, 2021 10:52AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

runor,

Respect! You have really gone the extra mile in the DIY category. I admit that having multiple dispensaries that even deliver has likely quashed any motivation I I might have had to do what you’ve done. I will mix strains occasionally and like to sprinkle a little full melt hash in a joint or a small bowl, but that’s the extent of it. I have pondered growing but it would have to be on my small patio and that doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Jun 23, 2021 02:42PM - edited Jun 23, 2021 02:44PM by runor

Exbrnx, the growing was a fun experiment and gave me something to do over the winter, but from a $$$ point of view it was not a good deal. Between the grow tent, light, hydro to run the light, I probably spent over $1000 to grow $50 worth of weed. I also started my tomatoes and some sui choy. Beware the sui choy - that stuff goes bonkers!  But the UP side was that I know exactly how my weed was grown and what went into it. Not one drop of artificial fertilizer or nutrients was used. I planted in a mix of basic potting soil, a few handfuls of horse shit and a sprinkle of alfalfa pellets, planted in fabric bags I sewed myself. Then I set up a big tub of goldfish and the goldfish poo water was used as the watering and nutrient feed. Aquaponics by hand. Hydroponics requires artificial nutrients but aquaponics (goldfish or other fish) is a truly organic route. There was no need to 'flush' my plants before harvest to rid them of artificial nutrient load.  But my BIGGEST plants were grown outdoors last summer. Mind you, size is not my goal since I smoke so little dope. I used a lot of the Death Bubba  (grown outside last summer) experimenting and the rest mostly gave away as it is simply NOT the stuff we are after. My indoor tent grow was CBD and starting hemp (the hemp and another CBD are now outside). My tent grow made a much smaller plant, puny by most grower's standards. But that's okay with me. I'm such a lightweight smoker that a tiny amount will keep me going for a year. I could have increased my yield by going for more advanced lighting, but the cost was too much and I could not justify spending that much money when I'm really not that interested in being stoned. But I learned a lot - it's a HUGE field of study  and science and in the area I live (and the shady people I know!) I have plants of almost any kind available to me to pop in my garden or grow tent. Might use the tent to grow lettuce this coming winter. Most expensive lettuce I'll ever eat!

Dx 3/23/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 7/5/2017 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 7 of 14 (135 results)

Scroll to top button