Join Us

We are 224,357 members in 83 forums discussing 163,507 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Abemaciclib Verzenio for Stage IV

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Posted on: Jan 1, 2018 05:03AM - edited Jun 18, 2018 12:19AM by zarovka

zarovka wrote:

Luckylegs and friends on Abemaciclib - I am bumping the Verzenio discussion in the hopes that more people have started abemaciclib. We need to get a community going. I have not started abemaciclib but it is on my short list. Like many I am very interested in how people do on this treatment do, both as a monotherapy and in combination with hormone suppression and other treatment. I am hoping that this thread can capture the experience of everyone on Abemaciclib in whatever combination. This is a very important treatment option that we all need to be evaluating.

I would expect more people on the drug given the significant advantages of abemaciclib over the first generation CDK 4/6 inhibitors. However, the FDA has approved abemaciclib for only limited indications. We have not established its use as a first line treatment nor as something to switch to from Ibrance. At the same time, they haven't made it clear that the drug can and should be used after Ibrance. As a result, the setting for using abemaciclib is supremely unclear.

I believe abemaciclib can be used either instead of or after palbo/ribo depending on whether you view abemiciclib as another class of drug or the same class of drug with significant improvement. One can make arguments for either strategy. If you've already done palbo/ribo, it is certainly worth trying abemaciclib. If you haven't done palbo/ribo, the current guideline that you start with the first generation CDK 4/6 is reasonable, but not necessary IMO. A lot depends on the side effect profile you can tolerate the best as the drugs have significant differences in side effects and also whether you are at risk of brain mets. Abemaciclib is better at crossing the blood brain barrier.

The following summary of abemaciclib data taken from a thread started by Constantine on Inspire. I moved his entire discussion from three posts because it's that good. Thank you Constantine.

ABEMACICLIB (VERZENIO)
Preliminary data from a phase I study of abemaciclib [SABCS 2014] in patients with five different tumor types including HR-positive metastatic breast cancer, with I note a median of seven prior systemic therapies (outliers out to 11 lines) found an objective response rate of 19% and a disease control rate (including stable disease (SD) under RECIST definition of >24 weeks of ) of 81% for HR-positive MBC patients. This Phase I study was expanded to evaluate abemaciclib plus fulvestrant in HR-positive MBC [ASCO 2014.] with patients having a median of four prior systemic therapies (and outliers out to the eight line), finding an objective response rate of 62% confirmed PRs.

A subsequent Phase I study [Tolaney et al, J Clin Oncol 2015;33(Suppl 1).] of abemaciclib in combination with different endocrine therapies for HR-positive MBC (median lines of treatment = 3, with outliers out to 8) demonstrated a disease control rate (CR + PR + SD) was 67% for those on abemaciclib + AI therapy, and 75% for those on abemaciclib + tamoxifen.

The phase II MONARCH-1 trial evaluated abemaciclib MONOTHERAPY in HR-positive, HER2-negative MBC patients with a median of 3 lines of prior therapy for advanced disease, including a median of 2 lines of chemotherapy (as opposed to endocrine or biological therapy) for advanced disease, yielding an objective response rate (ORR) of 17.4% and a clinical benefit rate (CBR) of 42.4%.

What's important to remember about MONARCH-1 is that many women in the study had already received multiple lines of endocrine treatment (median 3 - 5 previous lines in the metastatic setting, with outliers beyond that), developed resistance and were refractory to all of these treatments, AND progressed, many of whom also received chemotherapy, and these results were for MONOTHERAPY in a heavily pretreated population, which as I determined through examination of historical controls with any other agent achieves at best only 10 to 20% clinical benefit rates - half of that achieved by single-agent abemaciclib, and with responses of short duration.

Hence, the collective results of these trial, including MONARCH 1 (MONARCH-2 (with letrozole) and MONARCH-3 (with fulvestrant) are exceptionally exciting breakthrough in breast cancer therapeutics.

BREAKTHROUGH SURVIVAL
In addition, for me, the overall survival (OS) of these heavily pretreated MBC patients was 17 months, and that compares to historical control I review from all clinical trials to date, as significantly better than other survival results, which are usually are at best 13 months. Thus, consider that for the current champ, eribulin chemotherapy in this setting, the EMBRACE trial achieved a median overall survival (OS) was 13 months, we clearly have here a major advance and improvement in overall survival in the highly challenging later-line settings (past at least 3 lines of therapy).

HIGH TOLERABILITY
The major limiting constraint with all CDK4/6 inhibitors to date, like palbociclib (Ibrance), is their most common adverse effect, that of myelotoxicity via neutropenia (low WBC neutrophils), with palbociclib (Ibrance inducing some degree of neutropenia in over half of women on it, with associated dose interruptions and sometimes dose reductions, a toxicity that so fat from the available data seems to also afflict ribociclib.
But abemaciclib (Verzenio) evades a good deal of this because although strictly a CDK4/6 inhibitor, it is more specific in inhibiting CDK4, that is it is CDK4-selective, and myelotoxicity including neutropenia is primarily associated with CDK6, making the incidence of neutropenia on abemaciclib significantly lower and more manageable.

CLINICAL LESSONS ON ABEMACICLIB (VERZENIO)
And unlike palbociclib (Ibrance):

1. abemaciclib has strong single-agent activity in HR–positive MBC,
2. has durable response in later line settings,
3. a good tolerability profile with reduced neutropenia, and
4. to date the highest OS in these challenging heavily pretreated settings of any oncotherapeutic agent, whether endocrine therapy, chemotherapy, or biological therapy.

SOME NUANCES
1. The ESMO-reported MONARCH 3 Trial found an response rate of 48.2% for all patients, BUT for the subgroup of patients with measurable disease, a response rate (ORR) of 59.2%, these being the highest ever response rates achieved to date for ANY endocrine therapy in breast cancer.
2. And although data needs to mature further for survival outcomes, it is anticipated based on exploratory analyses that PFS will weigh in at an improvement of close to 12 months, again an extraordinary gain.
3. In addition, Verzenio was most effective in challenging populations like those with visceral metastases (especially liver) and those with rapidly recurrent (short disease-free-interval (DFS)) patients.
4. Finally, 16 patients across two of the three MONARCH trials were NED (complete response (CR)), likely to increase once the MONARCH-3 data matures, more still I anticipate when results are reported from the MONARCH PLUS and other trials.

DIARRHEA AND ITS MANAGEMENT
To put the adverse events into a bit of perspective, although it is true that with Verzenio, all-grade diarrhea was between 86 - 90%, yet serious (Grade 3+) incidence was 13 - 20% but this is aggregated across the trials, and note further that diarrhea incidence is concentrated during the first month, and more narrowly the MTO (median time to onset) of the first diarrhea event was 6 days, lasting a median duration of just 6 days for Grade 3. Furthermore, for the most recent MONARCH-3 RCT, grade 4 diarrhea was zero, and grade 3 diarrhea was just 9.5%.

An aggressive proactive regimen of:

- high-dose loperamide/Imodium (4 mg but NOT ever de-escalated down to 2mg (and up to 16 -32 mg daily);
- "Big Pink" (Petpto Bismol Extra Strength) used in "priming" mode (started on day 4 and also used for immediate relief during loperamide dosing;
- budesonide (Symbicort) for recalcitrant cases;
PLUS "adjunct interventions:
- high-dose probiotic (28 billion microorganism count in two divided doses), and
- electrolyte powder (most of the refractory diarrhea was analyzed to be secondary to disturbed microflora and electrolyte imbalances)
- at least 12 8 oz glasses of fluid daily, 8 of which should be electrolyte-enhanced

brought the rate of diarrhea-related drug omission or dose reduction down from 22% (MONARCH 1 and 2) to under 1 - 2% in the cohorts run by my research teams in India and the Middle East.
NOTE: We found that the adjunct interventions of Big Pink, high-dose probiotic, electrolyte rebalancing, and assured fluid intake were at least important as the conventional agents, and in cases that seem intractable, converted to success, given that therapy-driven diarrhea inevitably causes GI tract flora, and electrolyte, imbalances, aggravated by inadequate hydration. Also critical was "through-and-through" loperamide dosing: 4 mg at each episode, but NOT de-escalating - as current protocols do - down to 2 mg after first (that de-escalation regimen we found indifferently effective, with large numbers of failures.

And although not reported to date, I note that in the MONARCH 3 trials the incidence of ANY grade diarrhea dropped to just 2% (courtesy of data provided by Levi Garraway at Lilly).

ACTIVITY IN LOBULAR CARCINOMA
The trials largely fail to report to date differential invasive-type stats, but the impression from conversations with some principals is that lobular breast cancer subjects are unlikely to experience significant decrement, and I also extrapolate from some hints surrounding the PELOPS (Palbociclib and Endocrine Therapy for LObular Breast Cancer Preoperative Study) Trial another CDK4/6 inhibitor palbociclib (Ibrance), as well as from some molecular considerations (the p27 gene is a key regulator of certain types of progression (G1 to S-phase) and it appears that lobular carcinomas tend to have higher p27 which in a complex way under contextual effects can have either positive or negative effects on phase progression), but we have to await sub-group analysis to report on this issue explicitly. I am cautiously confidant of little differential outcome, which I think may be confirmed across the general class of CDK inhibitors. In addition, both the lobular and the ductal groups appear to have benefited from the addition of palbociclib (Ibrance) in the PALOMA-/TRIO-18 Trial, but I note that the difference observed in PFS in that trial is likely to be an artificial artifact of the small patient in the subgroup with lobular carcinoma arm (n = 18/19) compared to n = 117 in the ductal subgroup, so this is a small sample size effect not a robust finding, an impression in agreement with that of the principal investigators (Richard Finn and UCLA and colleagues). As we learn more about lobular BC and abemaciclib in particular, I will offer further clarifications.

DEGREE OF DIFFERENCE - IBRANCE v VERZENIO
Given the dramatic 14-fold (!) greater CDK4 activity in abemaciclib (Verzenio) compared to palbociclib (Ibrance) and ribociclib (Kisqali), as MONARCH 3 lead author Angelo Di Leo has established and noted in interview, and other consequent fundamental molecular pathway differences, I view these as only shared-class (CDK), but therapeutically distinct, agents, more like the difference between third-generation capecitabine (Xeloda) versus first-generation 5-FU although these are both fluoropyrimidines.

So: More different than same as witness also the high degree of relative invariance of efficacy and durable response in later-line treatments for Verzenio compared to that of Ibrance (see my original posting, above). These differences are sufficient warrant for me to classify palbociclib (Ibrance) as a first-generation CDK inhibitor, and abemaciclib (Verzenio) as a second-generation CDK inhibitor. The devil - as always - is in the details.

CNS (BRAIN) ACTIVITY
We have preclinical data [Raub et al. Drug Metab Dispos. 2015] of the cross-BBB (blood-brain barrier) capability of Verzenio, as witness the remarkable benefit in GBM (glioblastoma, being even non-inferior to temozolomide (TMZ), the standard of care in cross-BBB activity, and this although not a human clinical, was an in vivo, not just in vitro, study. And the Dana-Farber JPBO human clinical trial (I3Y-MC-JPBO) under Sara Tolaney is investigating single-agent abemaciclib in patients with ER+/HER2+ brain metastases, where I fully expect clinically relevant CNS benefit to be confirmed, with first phase interim results reported in June at ASCO 2017 showing 2 patients (8.7%) out of 23 having confirmed partial response (PR).

I should point out that there has been some provisional data on palbociclib (Ibrance) having potential cross-BBB activity in brain metastasis, but I hasten to note that strong in vivo data show a 10-fold greater cross-BBB activity for abemaciclib than palbociclib, with abemaciclib brain levels being more efficient at substantially lower doses than palbociclib and also active for longer duration, and finally abemaciclib was active as monotherapy, palbociclib was not.

Finally, as to leptomeningeal metastases, no explicit data bears on this question directly, but as to date all agents active in brain metastases have also been active in leptomeningeal metastases, activity would be expected.

THE ISSUE OF SWITCHING
It remains an open question whether patients who have progressed on or after another CDK inhibitor like palbociclib (Ibrance) may derive significant benefit from continuance of CDK4/6 inhibition by using a following CDK inhibitor like abemaciclib (Verzenio), with many in-progress trials like TRINITI-120 (and NCT0185719319 and NCT0263204521, among others) exploring the issue. But there is some plausible extrapolation from some preclinical data which has suggested non–cross-resistance among CDK4/6 inhibitors. A Barts Cancer Institute study reported at SABCS 2016 found that some palbociclib(Ibrance)- and ribociclib(Kisqali)-resistant cell clones were sensitive to abemaciclib (Verzenio).

For patients now on Ibrance (or Kisqali) but who have NOT PROGRESSED , is it motivated to switch to abemaciclib (Verzenio)? This is an issue that needs to be thrashed about candidly with your oncology team and is a highly individual decision, but my own sense at this time is that it may be more optimal in the long run to stay the course, and consider abemaciclib (Verzenio) for recourse upon progression either off-label until the FDA expands its approval, or on one of the many abemaciclib (Verzenio) clinical trials available.

I would however entertain some specialized exceptions in which a switch now, off of Ibrance or Kisqali, onto abemaciclib (Verzenio), might be motivated; for example:

1. If a patient is experiencing repeated difficult-to-manage neutropenia, occasioning multiple drug interruptions or reductions (neutropenia being dramatically less with abemaciclib (Verzenio)), but the patient must weigh the associated countervailing issue of higher incidence - but still manageable I would argue - diarrhea on abemaciclib (Verzenio).
2. If a patient is in advanced later-line setting (say, more than 5 to 7 lines or so of treatment in the metastatic setting already completed), where it is suspected that abemaciclib (Verzenio) may be somewhat more consistent and durable in response and benefit in such challenging contexts. This is a difficult one to judgment-call, and I would tend to want to weigh each patient's circumstance and their complex treatment history and individual pathology to assist in the decision, since we have no hard data to be dispositive on this decision.

Yes, these are arguable and have to be intensively debated (as in a tumor board setting), but they are not wholly unreasonable. Outside of these exceptions, however, I do not see sufficient motivation to prematurely abandon Ibrance or Kisqali, as these have strong track records of efficacy and should be push to progression.

FDA APPROVAL

Abemaciclib is currently approved ...
1. as combination therapy with fulvestrant (Faslodex) for the treatment of women with HR+/HER2- advanced or metastatic breast cancer who experience disease progression AFTER ENDOCRINE therapy.

2. as monotherapy for the treatment of women with HR+/HER2- advanced or metastatic breast cancer who experience disease progression AFTER ENDOCRINE therapy AND prior CHEMOTHERAPY in the metastatic setting.

(Z) MO's have latitude to prescribe outside of these indications and there are strong arguments for doing so. My MO appears to have wide latitude to prescribe Abemaciclib and get insurance approval in other settings.

EXPANDED ACCESS:
Abemaciclib continues to be available through Lilly's attractive Expanded Access Program (EAP):
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02792725?term=abemaciclib&rank=24
which is active and recruiting currently in several US locations (California, Florida, Minnesota, Missouri, Texas, and West Virginia), more being added. However that is for patients who have not as yet progressed on a previous CDK inhibitor like palbociclib (Ibrance), that is, for "switchers" who may want to explore the improved benefits of abemaciclib (Verzenio) over Ibrance (assuming the patient meet the other trial criteria); but not for patients who have already progressed on Ibrance.

RECHALLENGE

In several cases I have known, I counseled that although someone progressed on Ibrance, to reintroduce it after a hiatus of 3 - 6 months, and in many cases this washout appeared to resensitize the tumor cells to Ibrance, which upon re-introduction was newly effective. It is a variant of a trick I have counseled and seen working not infrequently with other agents like capecitabine (Xeloda) where after progression on it, I advised a trial on a new metronomic schedule (low-dose, continuous, daily, capecitabine) and seen again it newly effective despite previous progression, just by this shift I schedule (there is some provisional data for this, but not decisive). But these are beyond convention and reserved for highly special circumstances.

MARKERS THAT PREDICT RESPONSE TO CDK 4/6 INHIBITION
I am not convinced that there is any biomarker - protein or otherwise - that reliably identifies responsivity to CDK inhibitors, and Fabrice Andre of the Institut Gustave Roussy and colleagues, as reported in their presentation at ASCO 2017, were unable to identify any such biomarkers of response: neither Rb levels, p16 protein levels, Ki-67 cell proliferation, CDKN2A, CCND1, nor even ESR1 gene expression, all the usual suspects, and others, had any response-predictive value whatsoever. To date the only established biomarker for response to CDK4/6 inhibitors, remain hormone receptor positivity (HR+). Of course not everyone responds, but response rates remain historical high - and higher than any other treatment to date - and as long as one is HR+, one has the potential to benefit from a CDK inhibitor.

Constantine Kaniklidis
Director, Medical Research, No Surrender Breast Cancer Foundation (NSBCF)
Oncology Reviewer, Current Oncology [journal]
Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO)
Member, European Association for Cancer Research (EACR)

Ibrance/Letrozol Feb '16 -Sep '17. Adoptive Cell Therapy Oct 2017. Jan 2018 SBRT to sternum met and liver mets. Jan 2018 start Faslodex. Dx 12/28/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/16/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 74 of 75 (2,227 results)

Posts 2191 - 2220 (2,227 total)

Aug 27, 2021 07:54AM sammiesunshine wrote:

Thank you for the info. It happens in the morning, so I was wondering if it is nutrition related and maybe I didn't have enough in my system. I normally take my verzenio on an empty stomach and when it's happened it has been about 2 hours after. The strange thing is that I always take it without food. Does anyone have good books or websites for nutrition? It seems like there is always someone saying this food or that is not good. So confusing.

Dx 5/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, ER+ Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Immunotherapy Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Mastectomy: Left

Aug 28, 2021 01:16PM nnc wrote:

My neutrophils have dropped from .82 to .65 so I am still holding my Verzenio. I think my hair is growing which is a bit worrisome as hope that doesn't parallel cancer growth. I will have blood done again in 4 days and wait a day for the results and that will be 14 days off Verzenio so hopefully my neutrophils will be at 1 or greater and I can resume my treatment.

Dx 1985, DCIS, Left, Stage 0 Dx 1998, Right, Grade 2, ER+ Dx 8/2012, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 8/25/2012 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 7/1/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 7/20/2015 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 7/20/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 2/1/2017 External: Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 3/1/2017 Afinitor (everolimus) Radiation Therapy 10/18/2017 External: Bone Chemotherapy 9/1/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Verzenio

Aug 28, 2021 08:01PM Sadiesservant wrote:

Hi nnc, I know some have thinning hair on Verzenio but I had no signs of hair issues so I wouldn’t worry about the growth. I am confused by the neutrophils though. Verzenio doesn’t typically impact the neutrophils. Hope they come back up!

Dx 4/2001, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/10 nodes, ER+ Surgery 5/10/2001 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/7/2001 CEF Radiation Therapy 12/17/2001 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2001 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2007 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2007 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 1/3/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/27/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/28/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 4/19/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 10/12/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to other Chemotherapy 10/20/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2017 External: Bone Hormonal Therapy 1/18/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Radiation Therapy 8/2/2018 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 11/5/2018 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 10/9/2019 Verzenio Radiation Therapy 11/3/2020 External: Bone Dx 1/22/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/4/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Aug 28, 2021 08:27PM nnc wrote:

Hi Sadieservant - low neutrophils has been most problematic side effect I've had with Verzenio. As long as it rises sufficiently I will be able to stay on this treatment. How is your new treatment - compared to Verzenio? I am always interested in other options just in case my time on Verzenio were to come to an end.

Dx 1985, DCIS, Left, Stage 0 Dx 1998, Right, Grade 2, ER+ Dx 8/2012, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 8/25/2012 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 7/1/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 7/20/2015 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 7/20/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 2/1/2017 External: Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 3/1/2017 Afinitor (everolimus) Radiation Therapy 10/18/2017 External: Bone Chemotherapy 9/1/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Verzenio

Aug 28, 2021 09:26PM Sadiesservant wrote:

I was on Verzenio and Faslodex for 15 months before it unfortunately failed. (I had been on Faslodex alone for almost two years so had a pretty good run.) Switched to Xeloda which di a great job of beating back the liver mets. Now off treatment as my MO was concerned about my marrow. I suspect things are starting to move again - scan on the 7th so will know then what’s next.

Dx 4/2001, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/10 nodes, ER+ Surgery 5/10/2001 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/7/2001 CEF Radiation Therapy 12/17/2001 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2001 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2007 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2007 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 1/3/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/27/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/28/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 4/19/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 10/12/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to other Chemotherapy 10/20/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2017 External: Bone Hormonal Therapy 1/18/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Radiation Therapy 8/2/2018 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 11/5/2018 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 10/9/2019 Verzenio Radiation Therapy 11/3/2020 External: Bone Dx 1/22/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/4/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Aug 29, 2021 06:21AM star2017 wrote:

For those of you who take metamucil, is there a particular time you take it? I was thinking of trying it today.

Dx@37, pregnant, BRCA2+ Dx 9/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/17/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 11/29/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/18/2018 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 5/21/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 10/24/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 5/2021, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Verzenio Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Aug 29, 2021 03:34PM prairiesea wrote:

Hi star....you probably already saw this in my previous post. The packaging/online instructions for metamucil do recommend taking one hour before or two hours after any medication so as not to interfere with absorption. I usually take it 2 hours after, which ends up being sometime between 10:30 AM and 12:30 PM (I take verzenio at about 8:30 AM but sometimes take other things, like lately an anti-histamine, a little later) and then another dose around 11:30 PM, after my letrozole which I take about an hour after Verzenio. I've been doing pretty well on 2-capsule doses twice a day, but you can go up to 5, I think, several times a day. I take the capsules because they are the easiest version to find that have neither sugar nor aspartame. Good luck with it, I hope it helps.

Aug 29, 2021 04:49PM nnc wrote:

To Sadieservant - sorry to hear that the new treatment has not worked well for you. I feel sometimes we are running a race to beat the cancer. At least with all the new meds we are able to have the hope we can have some good years ahead from the time we learn we have metastatic cancer. My husband has just died and I told my oncologist to find a cure fast as I was feeling particularly vulnerable.

Aug 29, 2021 08:49PM star2017 wrote:

nnc, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending comfort to you.

prairiesea: Thanks for the tip about timing. I'll keep it in mind. I only took one dose of the Metamucil and it worked really well. Will let my doctor know.

Dx@37, pregnant, BRCA2+ Dx 9/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/17/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 11/29/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/18/2018 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 5/21/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 10/24/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 5/2021, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Verzenio Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Aug 29, 2021 08:52PM prairiesea wrote:

nnc, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. peace and hugs.....and a continued run on Verzenio.

Aug 30, 2021 07:26PM star2017 wrote:

My MO has decided to reduce my dose to 100mg. Let's see how it goes.

Aug 31, 2021 05:39PM Sadiesservant wrote:

Hi nnc. I too am sorry to hear of your loss. You're having to deal with so much.

I am actually not on treatment at the moment so not really surprised that things are stirring. The Xeloda worked great when I was on it so not sure if they will want to go back to that or move to something else. Unfortunately my MO believes I am now endocrine resistant but I hope to give Afinitor/Aromasin a try.

Aug 31, 2021 07:07PM prairiesea wrote:

Sorry to hear your next steps are not clear, Sadiesservant...hope next treatment works well.

Star, hope things go well on 100mg.

Had my first MO appointment since starting Verzenio yesterday. ANC down to .85 but he wants me to stay with 150 mg for now and see how it goes, and test in another 3 weeks or so (would be 2 but he'll be on vacation and wants to be around to monitor the numbers). OK with me....nowhere near how far ANC plunged even when I was on 75 mg for a shorter period of time. Also asked about booster vaccine which he said I qualify for. They are giving these at the cancer clinic now so I got an appointment for Friday...figuring it would give me a long weekend to recover from any side effects. Sadly, my good luck with D ran out yesterday morning and I had another episode, but 2 immodium seems to stop it for several days. Think I may try other strategies I've read on this thread, such as taking 1 immodium if things are tending in that direction in order to maybe ward off full-on D. Still, twice in 2.5 weeks, manageable with immodium, still feels doable. Otherwise I feel pretty good. TMs to be checked along w/ blood counts in 3 weeks, and he said maybe imaging after 2 full cycles with letrozole/Verzenio (which would be about 6 months since I started with letrozole/Ibrance). Hoping that the TMs continue the descent they started when I was on letrozole/Ibrance.

Sep 3, 2021 05:54PM nnc wrote:

My ANC (neutrophils) are also low - 0.82 to .65 and now back to 0.85 so giving it another week to try to increase - so total 3 weeks off Verzenio which is worrisome. Not sure if I will have to reduce dose as that would reduce it from 100 mg to 50 mg twice a day. Received my 3rd COVID shot today so hopefully I have that covered! Will have a CT scan September 19 but wonder if days off Verzenio will influence the results. Hopefully not. Thanks for the kind condolences. Stay strong and hopeful!

Sep 9, 2021 06:55PM kaufmanscsi wrote:

@nnc - I got neutropenic also about a week ago. Happened so suddenly. I had been on Verzenio about a month and 2 weeks prior had decent blood counts. Then I had had to get bloodwork for another Y90 procedure (getting tomorrow) so they took me off of Verzenio. I will be off it for 2.5 weeks. In some ways I feel better than ever. In other ways, I am scared out of my mind because I'm only taking Femara. It worries me that this will keep happening. In the world of the Delta variant - being immunocompromised is really scary.

Sep 9, 2021 07:06PM kaufmanscsi wrote:

@nnc - so very sorry for your loss. What a difficult time.

Sep 10, 2021 03:14PM - edited Sep 10, 2021 06:40PM by WenInWI

To answer the question, "How long on Verzenio?":

I've been on 100 mg Verzenio and Letrozole for 26 months now. Just had scans 9/3. Good news: cancer in liver and bones is still stable. Bad news: new changes in the colon suggestive of inflammation/infection/colitis (including drug toxicity). I've never had colitis, but now I've seen blood in my stool. The colon wall has thickened and there is new pelvic ascities. My albumin and protein levels are still low despite eating a very high protein diet. My other labs inciuding neutrophils are OK. I still have edema in both lower legs due to the low albumin. My MO says Verzenio does not typically cause colitis, but thinks the low albumin and resulting ascities and lower leg edema is due to GI effects of the Verzenio. She has recommended switching to Ibrance, however, MO's Nurse Practitioner told me there was no guarantee that the low albumin would improve by switching to Ibrance (mixed messages, unfortunately). I have resisted making the switch so far due to the risk of neutropenia in this time of Covid. I'm able to control loose stools with Imodium - one a day or every other day. Have been following a low FODMAP diet as suggested by some which has helped reduce the intermittent stomach pain. I have a colonoscopy scheduled. The Verzenio has worked for the cancer, but the silent effects on my colon and the persistent low albumin/protein have me depressed given all my efforts to reduce the effects.

Dx 7/2016, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2019, ILC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy Verzenio Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Sep 12, 2021 09:37AM nnc wrote:

To Kaufmanscsi: my neutrophils dipped several times since I started the treatment 20 months ago. Usually I took a week off and that was enough to have the neutrophils (ANC) rise to 1 or above. However this time it took 3 weeks for the neutrophils (had 3 blood tests) to rise so I have had a further reduction of my Verzenio dosage. My pivot nurse and oncologist feel that the breaks in treatment can be troublewsome but we want to stay on Verzenio: so I have gone down by 50 mg. I am now on Verzenio 100 mg in am and 50 mg at night. I have a CT scans soon and hope that having stopped Verzenio will not be evident in the scans. Hoping new dosage is sufficient and will at the same time keep my neutrophils at an acceptable level.

Sep 14, 2021 08:29PM star2017 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to update that I did about 5 weeks on the 150mg Verzenio and then dropped to 100mg for the past two weeks. Bloodwork has been fine but the GI issues (controlled by Imodium) were sufficient enough for the MO to change my dose. Things are much better now on the 100mg. I have an occasional off moment, but mostly I'm fine.

Sep 14, 2021 09:18PM prairiesea wrote:

Thanks for checking in, it's helpful to hear how everyone is doing. Sorry about the low ANCs nnc, hope the new dose goes better. Glad to hear you are doing better on 100, star. And WeninWI I'm sorry to hear about the accumulated effects on your Colon. Maybe Ibrance would be an improvement?? Not everyone gets hit with low ANCs.

I'm somewhat anxiously awaiting bloodwork next week when my Onc is back from vacation. Will tell whether my ANCs have gone below .85 (which he and I were comfortable with, compared to the below .50 ones I had on Ibrance). Also doing Tumor Markers for the first time since switching to Verzenio. Still just having D every 6-10 days on 150 and hope that continues.....

Sep 24, 2021 04:28PM - edited Sep 25, 2021 10:15AM by Juju-mar

This Post was deleted by Juju-mar.
Dx 8/27/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/26/2020 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 6/13/2021 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 24, 2021 05:46PM MKestrel wrote:

Hi, I've just been switched to Verzenio from Ibrance because my ANC was way too low even on the lowest dose. I hope I can tolerate this one better. I know there is a common side effect diarrhea but does anyone here also get severe fatigue? I'm not sure which to blame this on, the Verzenio or the covid booster but wow I can barely stand up. Oof 😣

I would rather be hiking Dx 12/14/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 3/7/2021, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Targeted Therapy 9/23/2021 Verzenio Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Sep 24, 2021 06:07PM star2017 wrote:

Hi Juju Mar, I think the 200mg is prescribed when it's not in conjunction with another med. Because I'm on fulvestrant, my MO started me at 150 but has since reduced me to 100mg.

Are you taking anything else?

Sep 24, 2021 06:09PM star2017 wrote:

Mkestral, I definitely have fatigue, tho I'm not sure it's severe. The combo of the cancer and the treatment has made me feel weaker than I felt before, but I'm not sure the issue is specifically the Verzenio.

Sep 24, 2021 06:42PM - edited Sep 25, 2021 10:15AM by Juju-mar

This Post was deleted by Juju-mar.
Dx 8/27/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/26/2020 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 6/13/2021 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 24, 2021 10:46PM - edited Sep 24, 2021 11:23PM by nnc

Jujumar - I have been on Verzenio for 20 months now. I started on 200 mg twice a day as it was the stand alone treatment. Once you receive the meds you will see the pamphlet indicates blood test every 2 weeks for 2 month, the 1 month for 2 month after that and then determined by dr after that. I am still doing blood tests every month as I have a portacath that needs to be flushed every month so do bloods at the same time. It is worth it as my results have at times resulted in me holding the med or reducing the dose. I have MRI or CT scan and bone scan now every 4 months. Good luck.

Sep 24, 2021 11:45PM SeeQ wrote:

Jujumar - I think 200mg is the standard without an AI, and 150mg with an AI. I was extremely fatigued the first few months of treatment, but it got better ‐ still have some, but not near as bad. My MO ran bloodwork monthly until after I was NED. Now, we're at 6 weeks, with office visit every 3 mos - unless I develop new symptoms. PET-CT scans were every 3 mos; we were going to go to 6 mos, but I'm about to move to another state, so I think we'll scan before I leave (I hope). I was on 150mg twice a day for 9-10 mos. I asked for a dose reduction a couple months after reaching NED, because the D was getting worse and harder to control. I feel much better on the lower dose.

Your MO's perspective on scans and bloodwork seems odd. Some MOs don't test tumor markers, since they are not reliable for everyone. I haven't heard about false positive on scans, myself. Do you have other options for an MO? I didn't care for my first interim MO - capable, but didn't have the communication style I prefer. I'm much happier with my current MO. I hate the idea of having to find a new one after we move.

Lastly - a gentle note - this thread is in the Stage IV only forum. It makes sense that this is where the experience with Verzenio is, but now it's needed everywhere since Verzenio is being prescribed for Stages II/III. I'm also sensitive to the fact that the Stage IV perspective is different. I don't know whether a thread can be moved or opened, or if a new thread should be started for discussion between all stages. I wonder if the Mods have any insight on this.

Diagnosed de novo Stage IV; numerous liver mets; single small breast tumor identified 4 weeks later Dx 6/2/2020, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 7/3/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 7/10/2020 Verzenio

Sep 25, 2021 09:50AM star2017 wrote:

Jujumar,

When I was stage III I also didn't have regular scans. That seems pretty standard. You should be having bloodwork regularly when you start Verzenio.

Sep 25, 2021 10:15AM Juju-mar wrote:

thank you, I did not see Stage 4 only when I posted....I can delete my post. Thank you for your response.

Julie

Sep 28, 2021 02:09PM SeeQ wrote:

I started a new Verzenio thread for all to contribute:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/...

Diagnosed de novo Stage IV; numerous liver mets; single small breast tumor identified 4 weeks later Dx 6/2/2020, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 7/3/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 7/10/2020 Verzenio

Page 74 of 75 (2,227 results)