Join Us

We are 218,114 members in 84 forums discussing 160,905 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Are you currently (or have you been) in a Clinical Trial?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Nov 29, 2018 06:40AM

Kattysmith wrote:

I am about to start a clinical trial and am wondering about the experiences of others. I'm feeling a little rocky and at sea, because I've been in the care of a wonderful oncologist for the past three years, and I knew without a doubt that his prime objective was the same as mine - to keep me stable and maintain a good quality of life. It was all about me.

Now, I'm embarking on this trial on a different campus and with a different doctor. I really like the doctor who heads it (he is a close colleague of my oncologist and has conferred with him), but I not-so-secretly worry that the prime focus will not be on my well-being, that it will be secondary to the study objectives. My initial meeting with the CO pretty much dispelled my fear that I would be a lab rat, but the closer I get to starting, the more leery I get. I'm normally not anxious about treatments.

I haven't had any treatment at all for several weeks, because the last treatment was ineffective and my onc wanted to get me into a trial, so the waiting hasn't helped. I'm normally pretty chill about everything, including starting new treatments, but entering a clinical trial is a different kettle of fish.

What has been your experience? Have you felt cared for?

First diagnosed borderline Stage 2 IDC, left breast in 2003. No problems until a surprise (!) Stage IV recurrence in 2015! In addition to treatments listed below, I started monthly injections of Xgeva for bone support in July 2016. Dx 10/23/2015, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/4/2015 AC Hormonal Therapy 2/5/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/5/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Immunotherapy 12/23/2018 Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Page 44 of 44 (1,311 results)

Posts 1291 - 1311 (1,311 total)

Oct 16, 2020 02:31PM Kattysmith wrote:

Dee, it REALLY sucks when we have additional medical issues that have nothing to do with our cancer, but impact our quality of life all the same!, I have a really painful knee due to an old injury and osteoarthritis so that limits my mobility, and I have double vision from a cranial nerve palsy that may or may not resolve on its own, so I've been wearing a stupid eyepatch since June! The three year old me wants to stamp her feet and scream it's not fair it's not fair!

First diagnosed borderline Stage 2 IDC, left breast in 2003. No problems until a surprise (!) Stage IV recurrence in 2015! In addition to treatments listed below, I started monthly injections of Xgeva for bone support in July 2016. Dx 10/23/2015, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/4/2015 AC Hormonal Therapy 2/5/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/5/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Immunotherapy 12/23/2018 Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Oct 16, 2020 07:20PM KarPC wrote:

I have decided to move forward with the clinical trial AZD9833 (oral SERD) with the everolimus. In ways I wonder what the heck I am getting myself involved with! I read what others have shared about trials yet I still remain shocked at how much is involved with clinical trial participation. I did not realize the extent of the required scans, tests, and rules. For example.... I thought I would be menopausal and start the trial within 2 weeks after finishing my last treatment (xeloda). I then tested as premenopausal, so instead I was required to get another ovarian suppression shot and wait 1 month. I will start the trial on the 22nd. I've been on non-stop treatment for 4.5 years (metastasis happened while on stage 2 treatment). So, being off treatment has been a scary change. My onc scanned my lungs and liver and checked my tumor markers after 2 weeks off. Luckily, everything was stable. Yesterday, I had multiple scans and all sorts of blood tests all day long for trial prep. The results showed that I still remain stable, so it will be mentally easier to wait another week for the start of the trial. On the first day of the trial, they will monitor my heart at the cancer center for 10 hours straight! Ugh. I will have this repeated again 2 weeks and then 1 month later. In addition, there are numerous more visits involved beyond standard of care. I do work full-time, so this is going to be trying. I am grateful for the opportunity to try a trial tho. Hopefully, it is a good choice, and I will be on this board for a while :)

​Diagnosed with 1 small liver met & a few sub-centimeter lung nodules. Progression after 2 yrs on Ibrance/Letrozole & Ibrance/Faslodex. Progression after 8 months on Xeloda. Dx 4/2016, IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/17/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Chemotherapy 6/10/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/8/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 2/17/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 2/19/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Oct 16, 2020 08:01PM AlabamaDee wrote:

Kattysmith - I love that “ 3yo in you wants to stomp”. I’m sorry about the eye patch and other issues. I deal with old uncle Art too. 😉

KarPC- congrats. That sounds like a great trial!! Keep posting your progress. It takes a lot to get started in a trial. Glad you pushed through.

Dee

Primary neuroendocrine breast cancer currently in a clinical trial for Pfizer’s CDK 2/4/6 Dx 5/23/2013, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/29/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 4/2019, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 10/8/2020 Chemotherapy Doxil (doxorubicin) Targeted Therapy Afinitor (everolimus) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Fareston (toremifene), Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Verzenio Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Oct 16, 2020 08:07PM moth wrote:

Hi KarPC, yes, I found the experience of getting into a trial and being on it quite onerous too! At the beginning I had some scans that needed repeating because they needed to be within 2 weeks of trial start and one of my scans was just a few days too old so I got another dose of radiation /sigh/. My MO also point blank told me to quit my school program if I wanted to do the trial due to the time commitment (honestly I would have needed to quit for other reasons anyway). I have to go in person once a week for a clinic visit with the trials nurse where I have a physical exam and often there are a bunch of questionnaires for me to fill out about quality of life and symptoms etc (& then treatment is the next day). I have to keep track of all symptoms and report them and also can't take any medications without prior approval. My trial does CT scans every 8 weeks (which is more frequent than my standard of care)

I hope your trial goes well & you have a great response to the med!

Initial dx at 50. Seriously???? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: nevertellmetheodds2017.tumblr.... Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab)

Oct 17, 2020 04:46PM KarPC wrote:

Thank you Dee & Moth! I appreciate the well wishes and wish you both the best on your trials. ~Kar

​Diagnosed with 1 small liver met & a few sub-centimeter lung nodules. Progression after 2 yrs on Ibrance/Letrozole & Ibrance/Faslodex. Progression after 8 months on Xeloda. Dx 4/2016, IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/17/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Chemotherapy 6/10/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/8/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 2/17/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 2/19/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Oct 17, 2020 05:58PM - edited Oct 17, 2020 06:08PM by ShetlandPony

Good luck, KarPC!

Kattysmith, it is not fair!

Dee, any help with the headaches, yet?

I can sympathize, moth.

On my trial I have to go to the cancer center from three to five times per month. It's the price I pay to live. Faslodex injections are every four weeks; blood draws, doctor visit, and herceptin infusion are every three weeks; PET-CT and CT with contrast are every nine weeks; and echocardiograms are every twelve weeks. Add to that appointments with endocrinology and dermatology to deal with side effects and side-effect-med side effects. Then every three months to surgery for ERCP stent replacement (cancer caused a bile duct stricture). Also support group or counselor phone/video appointments to help me deal, total of five per month, from home. I do a lot of schedule wrangling. And I have to keep a daily log of side effects and meds. So when someone asks if I work, I think to myself, my job is staying alive. For the times in between appointments. It's worth it. But civilians have no idea.

2011 Stage I ILC 1.5cm grade1 ITCs sn Lumpectomy,radiation,tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD

Oct 17, 2020 06:14PM SandiBeach57 wrote:

Shetland..."my job is staying alive".

I like that statement.

2006, 2007: DCIS, bil Mx, rad, tamox, ER+, PR+, grade 3..2016: Liver mets, pulm tumor emboli, AC to I/L, IDC, ER+, PR-, Her2- (1+IHC), grade 3..2020: progression liver mets, Xeloda, IDC, ER+, PR+, Her2- (0 IHC), grade 3, now FGFR1 amp mutation

Oct 17, 2020 07:53PM Lumpie wrote:

I sympathize with "my job is staying alive." I have wondered if I could get away with saying "case manager." Seems legit.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/14/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Oct 18, 2020 04:09PM Stillhavehope wrote:

Does anyone have info on this trail?

https://mario3.infi.com/

It looks interesting but I don’t have a solid tumor to biopsy, I will still ask my Mo about this

Dx 5/14/2014, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIA, metastasized to other, Grade 1, 5/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2020, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 18, 2020 05:18PM moth wrote:

Stillhavehope, looks like another kinase inhibitor similar to Roche's ipatasertib. You have to be chemo naive in metastatic setting so it's another one where you need to get into the trial right after met dx. Interesting tho. I agree the kinase targets might be a part of the puzzle for tnbc

Initial dx at 50. Seriously???? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: nevertellmetheodds2017.tumblr.... Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab)

Oct 18, 2020 07:11PM KarPC wrote:

Thanks Shetland for the good wishes. Your schedule sounds extensive! I agree that trying to stay alive is a big job. It's especially demanding since we research our own trials and treatment options. ~Kar

Oct 18, 2020 07:31PM Moderators wrote:

Medicating to you all and to the most important job a person can have!!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Oct 18, 2020 08:41PM AlabamaDee wrote:

Shetlandpony/Lumpie and all - when applied for SS disability I actually said something like “it is a full time job just managing my health care and the issues that arise from the complications” I love “ I am my own case manager.” 😂 Going to use that one

Thankfully, my migraines have improved after 2 weeks of fighting daily attacks. I went on a muscle relaxer for the burning flank pain which is slowly easing up.So I don’t know if it is the beta blocker and/or the muscle relaxer that helped with the headaches but I will figure that out. (Saw an article that said beta blockers help lesson heart damage from chemo which is my next line) anyway...I am starting to feel like my old self. 🙌🏻

Local MO wants another brain and cspine MRI. Just to be sure. Getting that tomorrow. Ugg scanxiety-mostly about the flank pain making the 1.5 hour scan super uncomfortable.

Monitors- Thanks for the vertical hug! I really am glad to be a part of this caring, supportive group!

Dee

Primary neuroendocrine breast cancer currently in a clinical trial for Pfizer’s CDK 2/4/6 Dx 5/23/2013, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/29/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 4/2019, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 10/8/2020 Chemotherapy Doxil (doxorubicin) Targeted Therapy Afinitor (everolimus) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Fareston (toremifene), Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Verzenio Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Oct 19, 2020 06:45AM Kattysmith wrote:

Dee, I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling more like your old self again!

Good luck and best wishes in each and every way on your MRI today!

Katty

Oct 20, 2020 11:10AM NicoleRod wrote:

can you ladies help me. I am trying find thr name of the trial where it takes out your white cells and does something with them then re injects them into yiu. Specifically one that is open for Her2- ER+ and is being offered at Bethesda MD???

Dx 12/14 Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR, HER2- (FISH),Dx 04/19, Stage IV mets to bone/liver, Hormonal Therapy 04/19 - 10/19 Ibrance/let/faslodex 10/19 Cryoblation on 2 of 4 tumors in liver. Dec 2019-May 2020 Xeloda Failed May-July 2020 - Doxil Failed Dx 12/19/2014, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/5/2019, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/2019, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/29/2019 Surgery Chemotherapy Doxil (doxorubicin) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 20, 2020 11:22AM BevJen wrote:

Nicole,

There are three current trials at NIH using this type of technology that I had flagged (there may be more, but these are probably the first you should look at). They are all in the lab of Dr. Steven Rosenberg (famous guy for this -- think Judy Perkins) and I think they are all recruiting.

nct03412877 (this is administration of autologous T-celles genetically engineered)

nct01174121 (this is short term cultured autologous tumor infiltrating lymphocytes + keytruda)

nct04102436 (this is another T cell engineering trial using some kind of a system to express T cell receptors)

I'd look at all of them -- I think the one you are talking about is the middle one. All require some length of hospital stay.

Also, take a look at this one: NCT03272334 -- it's the UVA trial that I was looking at -- they do something similar but then they infuse some drug that they've come up with.

Hope this helps --

Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+ Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/4/2019 Targeted Therapy 7/31/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Oct 20, 2020 12:08PM - edited Oct 20, 2020 12:13PM by NicoleRod

Thank you Bev I found it...it is the "middle one"....

Dx 12/14 Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR, HER2- (FISH),Dx 04/19, Stage IV mets to bone/liver, Hormonal Therapy 04/19 - 10/19 Ibrance/let/faslodex 10/19 Cryoblation on 2 of 4 tumors in liver. Dec 2019-May 2020 Xeloda Failed May-July 2020 - Doxil Failed Dx 12/19/2014, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/5/2019, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/2019, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/29/2019 Surgery Chemotherapy Doxil (doxorubicin) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 22, 2020 09:14AM AlabamaDee wrote:

Week 3 of cdk2/4/6

My RBC counts have dipped into low category for the first time in any treatment. Iron levels are ok so it is the drug. It is an expected SE. WBC are low too, but ANC is fine. Liver enzymes are good!

I am still experiencing the left flank pain especially at night. Nothing on the last ct scan to explain it. X-ray doesn’t show anything. Urinalysis is fine so they ruled out kidneys. Taking muscle relaxers and pain med and using the heating pad. Now I’m constipated and taking senna and dulcolax. 🥴

Latest MRI of brain is clear! Lots of arthritis in cspine scan but no cancer. Migraines are under control but the beta blocker has caused my bp to dip really low in the morning. Got a call in to discuss what to do.

I have the second biopsy in 2 weeks and I am not looking forward to it. I am in the biopsy cohort so I agreed to have it to be on the trial. Hopefully this flank pain will be under control by then.

I’m done with the long visits to SCRI for the trial blood draws. The rest of my weekly trips are shorter days. I will learn early December if it is working.

Dee

Oct 22, 2020 09:32AM BevJen wrote:

Dee,

On balance, it sounds like things are going well. Where will they be doing the biopsy, since you mentioned flank pain?

Hope you continue to work out the ongoing issues, which sound like they are solvable. Hang in there!

Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+ Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/4/2019 Targeted Therapy 7/31/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Oct 22, 2020 11:50AM NicoleRod wrote:

Dee awesome you are doing good!! Thanks for keeping us posted. So happy clear brain scan!!

My scans are tomorrow...

Oct 23, 2020 06:23PM AlabamaDee wrote:

Here is the NIH trial I have been following and was invited to submit. It is about to open up. Very interesting protocol of new immunotherapy plus vaccines

Phase I/II Trial Investigating the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics, Immune and Clinical Activity of SX-682 in Combination With TriAdeno Vaccine Regimen and M7824 (TGF-b "Trap/PDLi; Bintrafusp Alpha) in Advanced Solid Tumors (STAT)

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04574583#contactlocation

Cohort 1 is for any solid tumor and will accept 20 patients. There is also a triple negative cohort.

here is an article about SX-682 http://syntrixbio.com/two-new-reports-show-sx-682-blocks-key-immunosuppressive-tumor-cells-to-enhance-checkpoint-inhibitors-and-nk-based-cell-immunotherapies/

I will keep it in my bucket if I need to try another trial before a platinum combo. My MO said if I am excluded from staying in the CDK 2/4/6 due to minor progression and have good liver enzymes, she would support another trial.

Maybe someone here could qualify and be able totry this promising trial.

Dee

Page 44 of 44 (1,311 results)