Topic: Interpreting Your Report

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried — For those who are experiencing symptoms or received concerning test results, but haven't been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Posted on: Aug 25, 2017 08:30AM - edited Mar 22, 2018 06:57AM by djmammo

Posted on: Aug 25, 2017 08:30AM - edited Mar 22, 2018 06:57AM by djmammo

djmammo wrote:

Mammogram and ultrasound reports contain (should contain) a fairly specific vocabulary as recommended by the Birads Lexicon. They have very specific meanings so if used correctly other docs can picture in their mind what the abnormality looks like without seeing the actual images.

I have divided the more common terms into 2 groups Favorable and Less Favorable, favorable meaning it leans toward the benign side, and less favorable if leaning toward the malignant side (as no finding is 100%). This in combination with the Birads score should give you a good idea about what the rad is considering if in fact they did not speak directly to you about your results. Below that is a link for a downloadable guide which is more complete.

Favorable: Oval; parallel; circumscribed; anechoic; hyperechoic; isoechoic; posterior enhancement or good through-transmission; avascular; macrocalcifications include pop corn, large rod like, rim, milk-of-calcium.

Less Favorable: Irregular; non-parallel (can also be written as "taller-than-wide"); not-circumscribed margins includes indistinct, angular, microlobulated, and spiculated; hypoechoic; posterior shadowing; architectural distortion; internal vascularity; microcalcifications including amorphous, coarse heterogeneous, branching, fine pleomorphic.

Downloadable Quick Reference Guide PDF which also includes MRI terminology

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Page 213 of 220 (2,199 results)

Apr 3, 2020 06:17PM - edited Apr 3, 2020 06:21PM by okangansummer

This Post was deleted by okangansummer.

Apr 4, 2020 11:54AM msmarie wrote:

@djmammo - just wanted to circle back from my post Feb 18, 2020.

Mammo Report: "Grouped calcifications are noted within the lumpectomy scar site in the upper-outer left breast. Magnification views demonstrate these calcifications to have a punctate morphology located at the lumpectomy scar site measuring up to 2 cm. It is unclear if these calcifications are new, and may be related to postsurgical fat necrosis or are residual calcifications from patient's known DCIS."

My cancer team felt it best to have an excisional biopsy, so I did in March. Thankfully BENIGN!

Here's what I had: "Extensive hemosiderin-containing macrophages. While not common, hemosiderin-containing macrophages have been recognized as mimickers of microcalcifications on high res mammography. No microcalcifications identified. No evidence of malignancy."

I did have a large hematoma in 2019 after my lumpectomy, I suspect that injury may have contributed to this issue.

Thanks for your help! MM

Dx: 1/9/19; DCIS/IDC 2A; ER+/PR+ Her2-; lumpectomy, AC-T, radiation, tamoxifen

Apr 4, 2020 12:56PM djmammo wrote:

CalicoKitty2000

They need to see your prior studies and reports

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2020 01:00PM djmammo wrote:

okangansummer

"Taller than wide 7 millimeter hypoechoic mass at 10 o'clock within the posterior right breast corresponds to the area of architectural distortion."

This description is suspicious. Let us know what the biopsy shows. Don't worry about the rest of the findings at this point.

Apr 4, 2020 01:03PM djmammo wrote:

cdc1682

The B5 is warranted. They may also biopsy the abnormal lymph node too. After the path comes back an MRI will likely be performed. Keep us in the loop.

Apr 4, 2020 01:06PM djmammo wrote:

MsMarie

Good news. That's a new finding since the introduction of tomosynthesis.

Apr 4, 2020 02:29PM - edited Apr 4, 2020 05:43PM by okangansummer

djmammo

Thank you so very much! I edited my post to be in line line with the findings only 😊

What about the other descriptors?

No internal flow on doppler interrogation

Demonstrate posterior enhancement

Does taller than wider mean the shape? Or position?

The other thing I note is that the architectural distortion

Isn’t in the ultrasound report - does that mean it was not observed with the ultrasound? It just states at the end in the findings that it corresponds?

Is there anything about the position that would be another cause for concern or not concern?

Axillary tail

Apr 4, 2020 03:57PM - edited Apr 4, 2020 03:58PM by minustwo

Okanagan - As DJ said - "Don't worry about the rest of the findings at this point". He can only respond to what your reports say not what your breasts feel like. Yes it's VERY hard to wait for ongoing tests & results.

BTW - are you in the Okanagan valley - Washington or Canada? Beautiful country.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Apr 4, 2020 04:11PM okangansummer wrote:

Thank you, MinusTwo

I’m grasping, and I completely understand. I’m trying desperately to find ways to make it better

I’m in BC, the very beautiful Okanagan!

Apr 4, 2020 06:36PM cdc1682 wrote:

Yeah thanks. They're biopsying both areas.

I'm being told they fully expect to be treating me for cancer in the coming weeks, even without the confirmation of paths. Most likely chemo prior to surgery.

Just hoping it's treatable and it responds how it should. 🤞

Page 213 of 220 (2,199 results)

Scroll to top button