Topic: Interpreting Your Report

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried — For those who are experiencing symptoms or received concerning test results, but haven't been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Posted on: Aug 25, 2017 11:30AM - edited Mar 22, 2018 09:57AM by djmammo

Posted on: Aug 25, 2017 11:30AM - edited Mar 22, 2018 09:57AM by djmammo

djmammo wrote:

Mammogram and ultrasound reports contain (should contain) a fairly specific vocabulary as recommended by the Birads Lexicon. They have very specific meanings so if used correctly other docs can picture in their mind what the abnormality looks like without seeing the actual images.

I have divided the more common terms into 2 groups Favorable and Less Favorable, favorable meaning it leans toward the benign side, and less favorable if leaning toward the malignant side (as no finding is 100%). This in combination with the Birads score should give you a good idea about what the rad is considering if in fact they did not speak directly to you about your results. Below that is a link for a downloadable guide which is more complete.

Favorable: Oval; parallel; circumscribed; anechoic; hyperechoic; isoechoic; posterior enhancement or good through-transmission; avascular; macrocalcifications include pop corn, large rod like, rim, milk-of-calcium.

Less Favorable: Irregular; non-parallel (can also be written as "taller-than-wide"); not-circumscribed margins includes indistinct, angular, microlobulated, and spiculated; hypoechoic; posterior shadowing; architectural distortion; internal vascularity; microcalcifications including amorphous, coarse heterogeneous, branching, fine pleomorphic.

Downloadable Quick Reference Guide PDF which also includes MRI terminology

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Page 217 of 219 (2,190 results)

Jun 1, 2020 04:21PM jjjry wrote:

So a slight Asym spot would lean towards a malignant outcome?

Jun 1, 2020 10:15PM - edited Jun 1, 2020 10:27PM by jcp

djmammo, the last mammogram I had said I had moderately dense breasts. I believe that was the mammo or could have been MRI. The mammo about four months prior to the MRI said said fibroglandular referring to density , or I think that was how it was spelled. So would you say I have heterogeneous density or high density or the second one closest to not much density? Thank you.

Jun 1, 2020 10:23PM - edited Jun 1, 2020 10:29PM by jcp

Djmammo, sorry this is JCP again. * I updated the prior message so if you can please answer one when possible. Thank you!

I wrote the wrong word. One mammogram said fibroglandular I believe not fibroadenoma. Other was miderate density. I dont know why they didn't classify In one of four categories. What does this refer to possibly concerning density? Thank you, JCP

Jun 5, 2020 08:42PM robinorbit wrote:

djmammo,

I wanted to give an update about the 7 mm nodular asymmetry with indistinct margins found in my screening mammo results I posted in late May, which you helpfully interpreted for me.

Diagnostic mammo and ultrasound were today. The radiologist recommends biopsy. She reported the unfavorable characteristics of the mass as solid, having indistinct margins, and some "concerning" shadowing. It looked non-parallel to me on the US, but she didn't mention this.) I don't even know what shape it is. But at least it's small and the lymph nodes appeared normal on ultrasound.

The radiologist described "malignancy" (maybe tendency toward malignancy or proliferation) as a spectrum, and mentioned radial scar being about in the middle. She said (only after prompting) that her differential diagnoses were conditions beginning with radial scar and going toward the "malignant" end of the spectrum, including cancer of course. No report to post yet; I would guess Bi Rads 4b based on what the radiologist told me.

Thank you again, and thanks to the whole community for helping me be informed and for sharing your experiences and support.

Surgery 8/21/2020 Dx 9/3/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 9/3/2020, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2 Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast

Jun 6, 2020 09:24AM djmammo wrote:

jjjry

That might just be their routine for diagnositics.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2020 12:57PM robinorbit wrote:

I got my diagnostic mammogram and US report today—it’s 4C: spiculated, ill-defined, hypoechoic, shadowing mass with a few punctuate calcifications. Interesting no one mentioned spiculated when I was there.

Surgery 8/21/2020 Dx 9/3/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 9/3/2020, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2 Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast

Jun 9, 2020 10:16PM Munalula1 wrote:

Good news!!!!

The biopsy results are as below.

The breast shows a fibroadenoma. There is no DCIS. There is no invasive malignancy.
CORE BIOPSY RIGHT BREAST AT 10 O'CLOCK
FIBROADENOMA(B2)

My doctor would like me to consult with a breast surgeon still and explore the idea of a lumpectomy just to be sure and also to remove the requirement for future increased screening.

Jun 9, 2020 10:53PM rain88 wrote:

So happy for you! 🤗

Dx 27/7/2019, Mucinous, 11 mm, Stage 1, Grade 1, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Lumpectomy (right), Radiotherapy, Tamoxifen (15 months) Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast: Breast Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 10, 2020 03:07PM robinorbit wrote:

Munalula! Congratulations!

Jun 10, 2020 08:01PM robinorbit wrote:

I was finally able to schedule my biopsy today; it's scheduled for this 6/12. Since my mass was described by the radiologist as low density and not classic for cancer, I'm hopeful it might turn out to be radial scar, sclerosing adenosis, or something similar.

Page 217 of 219 (2,190 results)

Scroll to top button