Topic: Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 19, 2013 09:35PM - edited Feb 26, 2013 12:57AM by ToriGirl

Posted on: Feb 19, 2013 09:35PM - edited Feb 26, 2013 12:57AM by ToriGirl

ToriGirl wrote:

WELCOME TO THE LUMPECTOMY LOUNGE!

I've searched and searched BC.org and couldn't find a specific post just for those of us who have had lumpectomies (unless there was one and it got buried).  So, I thought that it was about time that we had our own place that we can come to...where we can discuss, ask questions, tell stories, seek advice, give comfort, give high fives and do the happy dance...and just feel free to let out our thoughts about the things that we have all gone through (or all currently going through, or about to go through).

Some of you have just had lumpectomies..some of you lumpectomies plus radiation, others have had lumpectomies, chemo and radiation, and still others who have had the lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and hormonal therapy.  We've all got stories...and with those stories we have questions and concerns and this is the place to put them.....so we can hear from others that have "been there, done that" and can give us a different perspective on all of it.

Let's reach as many folks as we can...I know that there are many out there that are asking, " Is this normal?  Should this be numb?  How am I supposed to sleep after surgery? When does it get better?  Do I need to call the doctor? Should this feel like this?" How is the "new normal" going to feel?  "How am I going to get through the next mammogram or MRI?"

Maybe some of you need some reassurance, maybe some of you need to know that there are others of us out there that can help...and still maybe some of you just need to scream, "My doctor didn't tell me that!"or "This sucks!" or just some nice "choice" words...  

Don't worry...we get it...we understand it...

Weather you are waiting to have your surgery, just got a lumpectomy last week or you got one years ago...share your knowledge and experiences here...

There is no limit to what we can talk about!  :)

Ready?  GO!

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 27 of 2,837 (28,361 results)

Apr 24, 2013 08:06PM Lgfoster wrote:

April 24,2013
Saw the doctor today. Margins were clear so no need for further surgery.Yeah! Also only one node of the 25 they got with the ancillary dissection had cancer in it. However that node was 2 c.m. Which is quite large . tumor was estrogen+ . Don't know about HER status yet. They have to do more studies. They did say it was an aggressive kind. Now I have to wait to meet oncologist - could be 4 - 6 weeks. Seems like a long time. Hopefully it won't take that long. Working on the exercises find I feel quite a bit of pulling and some burning in my arm.
Great to see other people's experiences. You don't feel so alone that way. You also see their is hope to fight this off.

Dx 2/25/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/8/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 5/28/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 24, 2013 08:56PM RMlulu wrote:

Lgfoster - yeah the answers are coming in so that you and your BC team will be able to determine the best course of treatment for you! Breathe and be good to yourself as you heal.
Maybe your MO will place you on the cancelation list so that you might jump in a bit sooner...never know...always ask.
Sending calm healing thoughts your way:))
(((Hugs))) brave warrior.
Cindy

PS update your profile and make public.in your pocket:)

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/22/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/13/2013 Hormonal Therapy 5/31/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

Apr 24, 2013 10:08PM schoolmom wrote:

Had my lumpectomy in Sept.  Now that I am finished with chemo and rads I am going to work on massaging the scars to break down the tissue hardening.  I remember I had to do that with knee surgery but have been so busy with all of this that never got around to it.  Scar for sentinel nod is almost invisible...lumpectomy is underneath the nip so hard to see. 

I used my "heart" pillow after surgery for a few weeks under my arm whenever I walked around the house or laid in bed.  It seemed to take the weight pressure off and pulling on the weight of the breast.  It helped me alot.  In fact I use my heart pillow still in the car to keep the seat belt off of my port....my onc is super cautious about removing the port for 6 months until all of the post chemo tests come back clear.  It is like a bad omen still staring me in the face.  Blood work and cancer markers are all good so I will be good to go after pet scan in June. 

saved my hair with cold caps with oncotype 21 Dx 9/12/2012, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/28/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 9/28/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/5/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/28/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/21/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 11/6/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver Targeted Therapy 12/1/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Targeted Therapy 12/1/2017 Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Apr 25, 2013 07:48PM LaurieParr wrote:

My heart wrenches for you. You are in my prayers. Thank you for sharing with us. I know it is so very hard to go through all of this.

Hugs!!!!

"My kids are my life. They are my purpose." Dx 3/21/2013, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 5/27/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 6/5/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/15/2013 Breast Dx 0/1 nodes

Apr 26, 2013 07:06AM 35_smiling wrote:

RMIulI and LaurieParr: Thank you so much.  I think I definitely want to go ahead with the mastectomy. I can’t deal with this anymore. I am so close to the end of the road. I only had to do 33 treatments of radiation and I was going to be done…now this…I will tell them my decision which is to go with the mastectomy and still do the radiation to make sure it completely kills any scattered cancers that could be lingering around.  I want to make sure I give this cancer the best fight ever (I hope it’s not an overkill). I will ask the nurse more questions regarding this when I speak with her today.

2Aug12~Underwent Laminectomy & fusion of the lumar spine. 3Aug12~Underwent L4 vertebrectomy and lumbar fusion lower spine replaced by rods & 9 rounds of radiation. 13Jul.13~Zoladex LA, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Sevredol & Mst. Continus Dx 8/1/2012, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 8/28/2012 Bone Chemotherapy 10/22/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Doxil (doxorubicin) Targeted Therapy 12/17/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/17/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 4/11/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 5/23/2013 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2013 Hormonal Therapy 7/12/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 26, 2013 08:08AM CelineFlower wrote:

My surgery is may 30th...this thread has been helpful in keeping my fears in check..

thank you

Question... how does having a lumpectomy on each breast change the healing process?

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me! ~Dr. Seuss Dx 8/31/2012, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/17/2012, LCIS

Apr 26, 2013 11:27AM RMlulu wrote:

Welcome CelineFlower - glad you have found us:)) my you have been on a journey...hit c out of the park!
Ask your BS! A lx is easier as far as recovery. Less invasive. Out patient and the next day you feel good and 2 days out you are wow I'm doin good. C is gone.
I had lx&snd but I was feeling good 36 hours out. No drains some limits with arm movement for 2 wks but life is good post lx!
Make your list and ask your BS. Sending calming confident thoughts and giggles your way (((hugs)))
Cindy

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/22/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/13/2013 Hormonal Therapy 5/31/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

Apr 26, 2013 11:41AM debbiema wrote:

I had my lumpectomy on 4/18.  Got clear margins, but looks like 1 of the 8 nodes they took is cancerous.  Although at a very, very early stage.  Meeting with the oncologist on Monday to see what the options are.  I was wondering if anyone had 1 node effected and chemo was not needed.  I know I'll need radiation and potentially chemo but just wanted to ask around.  I'm a single mother of two school age kids (husband died of pancreatic cancer in dec. 2010) so I need to be around for awhile!!! Thanks in advance for any info!!

Dx 3/28/2013, IDC, 1cm, Grade 2, 1/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/14/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/25/2013 Hormonal Therapy 10/14/2013

Apr 26, 2013 02:21PM - edited Apr 26, 2013 02:26PM by nyama

35_smiling, sending lots of good thoughts and hugs your way--It's so difficult to know what to do, sometimes.   The decision to have a mastectomy seems like a very reasonable one in your circumstances.  And debbiema, I'm sorry to hear of the lymph node involvement.   I don't have any info for you, but sending some supportive hugs your way. 

Hi Celineflower.   I only had the lumpectomy on one breast (last week) but I did have oncoplasty along with it, which is basically plastic surgery on both breasts to even them out and eliminate the lx scar/dent, plus make them a little smaller to make it easier for rads--basically a bilateral lift and reduction.  So.  They removed tissue from both breasts, which I guess is a little like a lumpectomy on both sides, just a little more extensive.  I, personally, have had very little pain and have only taken plain tylenol for it since I left the hospital.  I think I've probably had a longer period of "no lifting," "no driving," etc., than I would have with just a lumpectomy on one side.  Part of that is probably due to the PS, though.  At any rate, all things considered, I haven't felt that bad with both sides affected.  I don't know if that helps or not. 

Oncotype Score: 0; 4/15/13, lumpectomy with bilateral oncoplasty (reduction mammaplasty) "I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become." - Carl Jung Dx 3/19/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/15/2013, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/10/2013 Hormonal Therapy 8/2/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 26, 2013 04:31PM schoolmom wrote:

debbie......my onc explained it to me that rads are a given when you choose to have the lumpectomy.  Chemo often depends on your oncotype dx testing.  I had 1 cm, with micromets in one of 3 nodes.  My cancer was grade 3, more agressive which actually responds more to chemo than less agressive grade 1.  My oncotype score was 21 with below 20 often not getting any benefit from chemo.  I chose to do 4 rounds of taxotere and cytoxin between Nov and Jan.  Get all the details from your doctor and see if you are a candidate for oncotype testing. 

saved my hair with cold caps with oncotype 21 Dx 9/12/2012, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/28/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 9/28/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/5/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/28/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/21/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 11/6/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver Targeted Therapy 12/1/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Targeted Therapy 12/1/2017 Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Page 27 of 2,837 (28,361 results)

Scroll to top button