We are 191,706 members in 81 forums discussing 142,762 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Topic: Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 19, 2013 10:35PM - edited Feb 26, 2013 01:57AM by ToriGirl

ToriGirl wrote:

WELCOME TO THE LUMPECTOMY LOUNGE!

I've searched and searched BC.org and couldn't find a specific post just for those of us who have had lumpectomies (unless there was one and it got buried).  So, I thought that it was about time that we had our own place that we can come to...where we can discuss, ask questions, tell stories, seek advice, give comfort, give high fives and do the happy dance...and just feel free to let out our thoughts about the things that we have all gone through (or all currently going through, or about to go through).

Some of you have just had lumpectomies..some of you lumpectomies plus radiation, others have had lumpectomies, chemo and radiation, and still others who have had the lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and hormonal therapy.  We've all got stories...and with those stories we have questions and concerns and this is the place to put them.....so we can hear from others that have "been there, done that" and can give us a different perspective on all of it.

Let's reach as many folks as we can...I know that there are many out there that are asking, " Is this normal?  Should this be numb?  How am I supposed to sleep after surgery? When does it get better?  Do I need to call the doctor? Should this feel like this?" How is the "new normal" going to feel?  "How am I going to get through the next mammogram or MRI?"

Maybe some of you need some reassurance, maybe some of you need to know that there are others of us out there that can help...and still maybe some of you just need to scream, "My doctor didn't tell me that!"or "This sucks!" or just some nice "choice" words...  

Don't worry...we get it...we understand it...

Weather you are waiting to have your surgery, just got a lumpectomy last week or you got one years ago...share your knowledge and experiences here...

There is no limit to what we can talk about!  :)

Ready?  GO!

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 820 of 821 (24,625 results)

Posts 24571 - 24600 (24,625 total)

Aug 10, 2017 08:54PM Brightness456 wrote:

Hi everyone. I made it! I just got home after a 15 hour day. I was able to sleep a bit on the way home and I'm feeling pretty good right now, but I'm in bed and plan to stay here as long as needed.

Good news, there was nothing in my nodes! Also, the tumor was pretty much the size they expected, which is relatively small (I think a bit less than 1cm, but I'll need to confirm that later). The pathology should take about 10 days, then we'll form the treatment plan since the new doctors questioned the results of the original pathology report, including the ER/PR, her2 and KI67 numbers. Apparently different facilities read the results in different ways and I have a lot of confidence in my new team.

I can't tell you how much your kindness and support means. Thank you.

Invasive ductal carcinoma

Aug 10, 2017 09:16PM PontiacPeggy wrote:

Brightness, so glad you're home and doing well. Be sure to take appropriate pain pills as needed - don't let it get an upper hand. The wait for all those reports is difficult but worth it. Take it easy and use lots of ice!

HUGS!

Peggy. Diagnosed age 68., Oncotype 13. Everything is doable - not easy, but doable. Dx 6/5/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/22/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 7/23/2014, DCIS, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1 Radiation Therapy 9/1/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/16/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 10, 2017 09:34PM FleurDeLis49 wrote:

Brightness, so glad to hear all went well for you! Sending you healing energy!

Dx 7/18/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Surgery 8/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Aug 11, 2017 12:17AM ChiSandy wrote:

Dunno about the spider veins, as they are not a health hazard—but bulging varicose veins can sclerose, ulcerate and maybe even cause blood clots, so treatment for vvs is covered. Interestingly, in most wealthier South American nations, their NHSes cover cosmetic surgery!

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 11, 2017 12:25AM mustlovepoodles wrote:

Sounds like lots of good news, Brightness. Two thumbs up!

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/3/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/4/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/19/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery

Aug 11, 2017 12:44AM PontiacPeggy wrote:

Thanks, Sandy. Guess I'll just have to see if my veins qualify. It's the only cosmetic surgery I'd consider (the budget just laughs)

HUGS!

Peggy. Diagnosed age 68., Oncotype 13. Everything is doable - not easy, but doable. Dx 6/5/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/22/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 7/23/2014, DCIS, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1 Radiation Therapy 9/1/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/16/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 11, 2017 05:52AM KB870 wrote:

Great news Brightness! Just remember that even if you feel good take it easy.

Diagnosed at 62 when I was feeling great! Active swimmer, erger and more. Surgery 9/19/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 10/6/2016, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 11/28/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 11/29/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 4/3/2017 Multi-catheter: Breast

Aug 11, 2017 06:49AM Brightness456 wrote:

Good morning everyone. I just wanted to touch base and let everyone know I'm feeling good this morning. I haven't taken any of the pain or nausea medicine at all. My underarm area definitely needs to be babied, but that's quite doable. I hurried to the door this morning to let the dog back in though and even just a quick walk made me aware of my chest, so only slow gentle walking for me today (no bouncing). I'll be drinking a lot of water and eating fruits and veges today to help my system get back to normal and resting because I only slept a few hours at a time last night, but I'm going to try to let myself feel normal emotionally while I wait for the pathology results.

Good luck to anyone having surgery today. Oh,and prepare to be shocked at the very very bright blue urine that comes out of your body because of the dye to check the nodes!

Aug 11, 2017 10:36AM Tappermom383 wrote:

That blue is shocking, isn't it, brightness! I forgot to warn you about that. Glad you're feeling so well but listen to PontiacPeggy and KB - respect the face you've had surgery and take it easy. Take this opportunity to baby yourself a bit!

Thinking good thoughts for clear margins and negative nodes!

MJ

Diagnosed at 70 after four excisional biopsies over the course of 47 years. MammaPrint came back Low Risk. DexaScan: osteopenia. Dx 3/23/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 7/17/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 11, 2017 08:41PM ChiSandy wrote:

Brightness, glad the surgery was a piece of cake (to which you are entitled to treat yourself…for now). Yay for the negative nodes and small size too. Here’s hoping for confirmation of negative nodes clean margins, and Luminal A (ER & PR positive and HER2 negative). And a low OncotypeDX should your MO order one. Good chance you’ll skip chemo. (Ki67 is often ignored in the case of Luminal A, especially with grade 1 or 2—my path report didn’t even mention it).

I didn’t get Smurf pee—they only used the radioactive tracer for my SNB. And I didn’t even get an Rx for pain meds. After being wheeled out of the Recovery room into my roomette, all they gave me were a couple of regular Tylenol…and a mini-bagel & schmear (it was the end of Yom Kippur by then—so going NPO after midnight was one type of “easy fast” our rabbi wished us the night before). Only used Tylenol Extra Strength after I got home, and after the second day reverted to my bedtime Arthritis Formula time-release. Ice & pillows were my friends, though. (The NP gave me a pillow with a Velcro shoulder strap to cushion my incisions and a kangaroo pocket containing a mini-pillow to place beneath my shoulder harness for driving).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 12, 2017 10:35AM queenofwands wrote:

Hi ladies!

I hate that we all have to be here, but I'm happy that at least we're in it together. I'm still reeling from my diagnosis and how quickly everything is moving, but I already feel such a kinship and sisterhood with all of you.

My lumpectomy and SNB will be this coming Tuesday the 15th.

I've always said that if I ever got BC, I would get a double mastectomy without even thinking twice about it. Easy to say when you don't actually have cancer! The day of my dx (just a little over a week ago) my doctor made a passionate case for lumpectomy and radiation, spending quite a bit of time talking with me and my boyfriend explaining all the statistics. He was encouraging and convincing, and I do feel that the lumpectomy is the right decision for now, but I've already decided that if I don't have clean margins, I'll want a mastectomy. He told us on Thurs that if I don't have clean margins, he'll just go back in and take more tissue. I asked him if that's the case, wouldn't it be better to just take the whole breast, and he said no. So depending on how things unfold after surgery, I may be butting heads with my doctor but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Yeah, it's nice to keep my breast, I guess (don't really care honestly), but I would much rather have peace of mind. Anyone else feel the same way?

Dx 8/4/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2 Dx ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Aug 12, 2017 07:10PM FleurDeLis49 wrote:

QueenofWands, I'll be having my surgery on Tuesday too, right up the road from you in Columbia! Keeping good thoughts & healing energy for both us Carolina Girls!

Dx 7/18/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Surgery 8/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Aug 12, 2017 07:36PM ChiSandy wrote:

QueenofWands, welcome. I had never given mastectomy a thought before getting diagnosed—but once I got that first message about the “focal asymmetry” on my mammo, I had the sinking feeling this was karma for my vanity about buying all those pretty colored and lacy underwire bras in my giant cup size (at the time, 38I). I was sure I would have to sew pockets into those bras, or maybe trash them because nobody makes prostheses or implants that big. It wasn’t till my radiologist (not the one who did my diagnostic ultrasound but the one who did my core needle biopsy) said, “if it’s malignant, it’s still small enough that you’ll be able to keep your breast” that I realized that lumpectomy was possible. And when, at my first BS consult, she told me that lumpectomy & rads are standard of care for Stage IA with clear margins and that mastectomy would confer no survival benefit, I was immensely relieved.

Make no mistake—if I get a recurrence in either an inauspicious location of my opposite breast or in the radiated portion of my already-operated breast I will probably go for a mastectomy. (My nurse-navigator explained that for those who had targeted partial-breast rads, fi there’s an ipsilateral recurrence outside the field that was originally radiated, lumpectomy & targeted radiation is possible a second time. You can’t do a course of radiation on the same tissue more than once). But once a breast is gone, it’s gone. Not even the most convincing reconstruction will ever feel the same (inside or out) as a natural breast.

Aug 12, 2017 07:56PM KB870 wrote:

I asked my surgeon if he wanted to "whip it off" and he explained to me in detail why risks would outweigh the benefits and I would likely not be happy with the results. As ChiSandy says - if it recurs....

Diagnosed at 62 when I was feeling great! Active swimmer, erger and more. Surgery 9/19/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 10/6/2016, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 11/28/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 11/29/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 4/3/2017 Multi-catheter: Breast

Aug 12, 2017 08:05PM Tappermom383 wrote:

As many have said here - once it's gone, it's gone. My surgeon gave me the option of either a lumpectomy (more properly called a partial mastectomy) with radiation or a mastectomy. I saw no reason to have the more extensive surgery. But should I ever have a recurrence (and I sure hope I don't), I think I'd opt for a double mastectomy with no reconstruction. The stories of reconstruction I've read on here are pretty terrifying! At 70 I think flat would be just fine!

Best of luck to you, Queen. Each of us has to make our own decision. No one else's is right for you. We're all with you whatever you decide!

MJ

Diagnosed at 70 after four excisional biopsies over the course of 47 years. MammaPrint came back Low Risk. DexaScan: osteopenia. Dx 3/23/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 7/17/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 12, 2017 09:16PM ChiSandy wrote:

I’d spurn reconstruction so long as I got a lipo & tummy-tuck too. Rather be evenly flat than look like Winnie the Pooh.

Aug 12, 2017 09:28PM Jo6202 wrote:

You crack me up ChiSandy! I feel the same way, don't want my tummy sticking out farther than the girls.

Jo

Someday your life will pass before your eyes. Be sure it's worth watching. Dx 8/8/2013, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2013, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, 0/1 nodes Surgery 8/30/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 8/30/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 9/11/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 10/28/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Aug 13, 2017 01:28AM Brightness456 wrote:

Hi everyone. I continue to feel better from surgery August 10, but without exercise, I just can't seem to sleep well, so I'm hoping to take a long, slower than normal walk tomorrow. It's funny how you notice even a tiny bit of bouncing when you've got sore areas.

Now the wait onpathology results weighs in me, but I'm trying to take advantage of knowing I got through surgery and I'm healing from that much.

A friend picked me up yesterday and we went to another friend's house for dinner, which was grilled salmon and veges and fruit, so all healthy. Thank goodness for friends! And thank goodness for this site and all the information available!

Aug 13, 2017 03:04AM ChiSandy wrote:

Walking was just what I needed two days post-op--just to the Whole Foods & back (a block each way); next day, 1/4 mi. to brunch, 1/4 mi. to the beach and half a mile home. You're making a great start. Baby steps

Aug 13, 2017 07:21AM Brightness456 wrote:

I'm up and moving about a bit this morning, still working on my coffee, but I've noticed my arm "zinging" a lot. Is this normal? Maybe some nerves were hit during the SNB and are repairing? The general sore muscle feeling is somewhat better, but it wasn't crazy bad to begin with and I've been slowly stretching it every now and then.

Goodness I'm glad I have a place to ask all my questions....

Aug 13, 2017 08:49AM KB870 wrote:

I definitely felt some weird zinging stuff. Very early yet and as the swelling went down it got less. But yes the nerves are involved and take time to repair.

Aug 13, 2017 12:12PM Sarah_R wrote:

Hi Brightness --so nice to be on this side of surgery, isn't it? I had lots of weird stuff on the side with the SNB -- still have completely weird pain in the arm on that side, as if there had been an incision in the arm itself, but of course there's nothing there! They touch a lot of nerves with the SNB so they say it can take a while for those nerves to relax. My PT suggested that beside gentle reaching movements so you don't get frozen dinosaur arms, I take a wash cloth and very gently rub there a few minutes a day to help the the nerves "remap" to normal -- I guess they "know" that they should be feeling the towel so it helps reeducate them to real sensations vs phantom ones. As for sleep -- that has been my hardest thing. Between the pain of getting comfortable around three deifferent incision points and particularly the SNB -- and the vicious night sweats I have because I suddenly went off the pill when I was diagnosed, I cannot fall asleep or, when I do, sleep through the night. It's been weeks. and weeks, I feel likeI did when I had a newborn. My advice-- do NOT be afraid or shy about asking for sleeping pills. Or anything else you need. There are no points for going through this stoically -- let's all just get through it! f

Aug 13, 2017 08:57PM Tappermom383 wrote:

Brightness, I'm still zinging and my surgery was on March 31. Asked my RO about it and she said those are still nerves regenerating; added it could go on for several more months. It's not terrible but sure does catch me by surprise. I can't help but jump and yelp!

MJ

Aug 13, 2017 09:04PM PontiacPeggy wrote:

Brightness, I didn't have zingers with my SLNB site but I had no feeling for about 13 months. It came back very gradually. My BS said whatever feeling you have after a year is what you'll have forever. I proved her wrong. I think there is still some difference between the good and bad underarms but not enough to bother with. I had awful zingers with surgery on my ureter. Eventually (after it had completely healed! Important), I was able to use Zostrix on it and that calmed them down. My boss at the time used it for groin hernia zingers that were driving him nuts. He got some on his manly part and that was definitely not a good thing. Gotta be careful with it. But it works. Keep up the gentle stretching of your bad arm/side. Something you may want to do forever - I do it when I get up in the morning really good. Seems to help a whole lot.

BTW, be sure to update your profile (and make it all public) when you get your path reports.

HUGS!

Aug 14, 2017 11:12AM mustlovepoodles wrote:

I had pretty bad zingers following my LX. Lasted about a year. Now it's just numb under the arm.

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/3/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/4/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/19/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery

Aug 15, 2017 07:50AM Canncerfree wrote:

I, too, have had a lumpectomy. I haven't had any other treatments at this time. I get shooting pains on the opposite side of my breast than where the incision is, also. Hmmmm?

Aug 15, 2017 08:12AM Brightness456 wrote:

My zingers are decreasing, as is the general discomfort. Now waiting for the pathology report is weighing down on me. This whole ordeal is just sucky. I want to be normal. I don't want to face whatever treatment is coming my way. I hope for the best, that I won't need chemo, then I read about the amazing women here who have gone through so much more and I feel guilty.

Ugh, sorry. My emotions are running wild this morning, I suppose I should go take a walk. Maybe that will make me feel better.

Aug 15, 2017 11:08AM Tappermom383 wrote:

A walk is always a good idea, brightness! And I know what you mean about the guilt. I have friends right here in my community going through much worse than I did. But that doesn't make our ordeals any less terrible!

Before you know it, you will feel normal again. It might not be exactly the same but wouldn't that be boring? It was only five months ago that I was diagnosed; today my active treatments are behind me and I often forget I even had BC. Then I get a zinger!

MJ

Aug 15, 2017 03:03PM queenofwands wrote:

Had my lumpectomy this morning, back home and doing okay. I had almost no sleep last night, so I slept for a little bit as soon as I got home. I don't have much pain at the site but for some reason my back is hurting, especially if I try to lay propped up in bed on pillows. I just can't seem to get comfortable. I have a very tight binder around my chest, maybe that's causing it? If I stand up and walk around it's fine, but I don't want to stand up and walk around! Lol

FleurDeLis49, how's my fellow Carolina girl?

Dx 8/4/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2 Dx ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Aug 15, 2017 03:24PM Brightness456 wrote:

queen of wands, glad to hear it went well. Here's to a happy healing process!

Page 820 of 821 (24,625 results)