Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,820
    Options

Good Morning,
    Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! I had a lovely evening with the Wednesday,
    Women, and Wine group last night. We're thinking about changing our name to
    Wednesday, Women, and Whatever as we've drifted away from the original focus on
    wine. WWW actually started out as a subgroup of a Wine Lovers Meet Up group.
    There were 14 of us last night, with a couple being first time attendees. We
    were seated at one long table and boy did we chatter away! It was nice to catch
    up with some of the ladies I've met there and meet the new ones. And
    bittersweet, as one of the ladies who used to come while she was in Maine for
    the summers died recently. Fortunately she was ill for a very short time,
    diagnosed with cancer and died a few weeks after. She was last with us in
    December, a meeting I missed due to work. That part was a bit hard. My section
    of the table was filled with dog Moms, and we had a great time trading
    adoption/rescue stories and fur baby antics. We were passing around phones
    showing pictures just as much as the ladies with new grand baby pictures were
    at their end of the table! So we ended on a high note.

Morning, Carole!

Wally--I can just
    imagine you trying to talk to DH in frog language now!

Chi--I really think
    large print labels should be mandated for prescription bottles, for at least
    the drug name, strength, and instructions.

Morning, Malleemiss!

Karen--Hooray for
    the good appointment! You must be so looking forward to leaving Tuesday.

Minus--hmm, I love
    Moxie soda, which many people say tastes like cough medicine, so I bet I would like the Amaro, too! I'll get that next trip to the big likker store for
    special bottles.

Ingredients:

2 oz  Bourbon

1oz  Vanilla Chai

.5 oz  Allen's Coffee Brandy

1oz Moxie Soda

A Sprinkle of Nutmeg

Directions:

Combine
    Bourbon, Vanilla Chai, Allen’s Coffee Brandy, and Moxie soda in a highball
    glass over ice. Stir to combine. Garnish with a sprinkle of ground nutmeg.

<>https://www.mainespirits.com/recipes/sweet-revenge

FYI: Allen's Coffee Brandy is an iconic Maine product

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

NM, love the image of the dog owners sharing photos while the grandmas were doing the same! LOL. I would be out of luck with no dog and no grandkid!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    Options

Kim, as a Moxie lover you've proven your true Down East cred. Actually, the absolute worst soda I ever tasted was Diet Moxie. (And that road trip also included Iron Brew in New Brunswick and Spruce Beer in Quebec).

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 206
    Options

Good morning @nativemainer, I love your stories about the dog photos and I love enjoying your drinks vicariously. I can't look at alcohol at the moment without feeling ill - drs have no explanation as liver and kidneys are fine - just one of those things I guess. Although they have said that is is probably a good thing as it won't interfere with drugs I am on - lol. The total pain is that I live in a renowned wine area in Australia. You can't move without tripping over a winery and their stuff is so good. That doesn't stop me enjoying reading about the different drinks on this thread and the pictures of them. Have a very good day.🥂

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    Options
  • teka
    teka Member Posts: 18
    Options

Lovely bloom!

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! I had another totally lazy day yesterday, but have more energy this ayem, so I hope to get some stuff done today. One thing I do have to do today is find the Fire Stick remote that the puppers knocked out of my hand the other day, It went flying and I didn't see where it landed, hence the searching began. I've got to remember to look outside in the puppers' yard, too, in case one of them took it outside thinking it is a chew toy. It's rather annoying to only get a few over-the-air channels and not have the streaming capability. Oh well, such is life, right?

Carole--It really was funny when the waitress came over to check on us and asked what pictures we were looking at and got 2 simultaneous answers from either end of the table, one saying "babies" and the other saying "dogs". Then someone piped up with "same thing, different number of legs" and the entire room was laughing. (We aren't a quiet bunch when we get together!)

Chi--I've heard of Spruce Beer but never found any to try. I do like Birch Beer. Never heard of Iron Brew. Now I'll have to go look for both!

Mallee--I'm sorry your tasting system has gotten messed up by the medications. I hope your sense of taste returns to normal soon. It must be hard to be around a lot of good wineries and not feel like partaking. Glad the pupper stories are as amusing to you and I think they are!

Jazzy--Beautiful!

I was just looking up Spruce Beer, thinking it was a soda like Birch Beer and Root Beer, only to find it is an actual BEER! I've never learned to like the taste of beer, so I may pass on this one.

Lemonade with Spruce Beer and Tequila

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups (500 ml) spruce beer
    • 2 cups (500 ml) club soda
    • 1/2 cup (125 ml) frozen lemonade concentrate
    • 1/4 cup (60 ml) tequila
    • Ice cubes
    • 8 long strips lemon zest
    • 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
    • 16 fresh cranberries

PREPARATION

• In a pitcher, combine the spruce beer, club soda, lemonade concentrate and tequila.
    • Fill 8 highball glasses with ice cubes. Add the lemonade mixture. Garnish with lemon zest and 2 cranberries speared on a rosemary sprig.

From <>

>

• teka
    teka Member Posts: 18
    Options

Husband's pic of our backyard.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

beautiful yard, @teka !

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lovely Teka

• chisandy
    Options

Actually, the Spruce Beer I got in Quebec was at a gas station—and it was a soda. Clear, with undertones of lime, rosemary & mint. Bizarre but not bad. Iron Brew was brown—tasted like a cross between sarsaparilla & cola.

• jazzygirl
    Options

In Northern New Mexico last night. Knate Myers Photography

• chisandy
    Options

I didn't get a chance to go out last night and see them—too much rain & light pollution. Might try tonight, as it's clear.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 857
    Options

Beautiful yard picture and northern lights! We were too cloudy for a showing near here.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

OMG, those colors are stunning. New Mexico has always intrigued me…

I'm having lab-xiety for tomorrow and my MGUS labs…dread.

• chisandy
    edited May 12
    Options

In your pocket for your MGUS labs, Wally. My results come fairly quickly, so I hope yours do too.

With brunch today, cava.

We had too much light pollution to see the full-color "show" unless we were out on the beach—too cold to walk or even drive there late at night. But I did go out on the deck about 1 am—the sky to the SE was eerily light, lighter then even at dusk. Thought it might be the streetlights, but to the NW the sky was black enough to see stars.

• wallycat
    Options

My SPEP portion of the labs has to be sent to Seattle, so that is always 7-12 days.

Someone posted a pic on NextDoor in our community and we had the beautiful magentas and greens. I was asleep.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monkey Day! Happy Mother's Day to the Moms in the Lounge. I took Mom out to lunch at her favorite restaurant yesterday, Olive Garden. It happens to be my fav, too, which made it all the more fun. Still haven't gotten to see the aurora, despite people getting great pics from nearby locations. Saturday and Sunday nights were cloudy, unfortunately. I did see the first hummingbird at the feeder Saturday.

Teka--BEAUTIFUL!

Morning, Jazzy!

Chi--good to know Spruce Beer comes as a soda! I wonder if it’s a local thing. Going to try to find some to try.

Morning, Reader!

Wally--hugs for the lab-xiety and scan-xiety. Not fun. Prayers for good results.

Aurora Elixir

**Ingredients:**

- 1 oz Vodka (premium quality)

- 0.5 oz Blue Curaçao

- 0.5 oz Chambord (raspberry liqueur)

- 0.25 oz Fresh lime juice

- 2 oz Prosecco or your choice of sparkling wine

- Edible glitter or luster dust (silver or gold for a festive effect)

- Fresh raspberries for garnish - Ice

**Instructions:**

1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.

2. Pour the vodka, Blue Curaçao, Chambord, and lime juice into the shaker.

3. Shake well until the mixture is chilled.

4. Strain the mixture into a chilled champagne flute or coupe glass.

5. Top gently with Prosecco to maintain the layers of color reminiscent of the auroral display.

6. Add a pinch of edible glitter or luster dust to the drink and give it a light stir to create a swirling, shimmering effect in the glass.

7. Garnish with a skewer of fresh raspberries.

From <> https://www.bargpt.app/ai-cocktail-recipe/aurora-elixir

• malleemiss251
    Options

@nativemainer, I am feeling mellow just looking at that drink - mmmmm

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! Seems to be pretty quiet here in the HTL
    just now. I started PT for knee pain that I've attributed to arthritis for
    years, come to find out the pain is more from a knee cap problem than
    arthritis. Apparently the knee cap is supposed to move when the knee bends and
    mine doesn't due to muscle and ligament tightening on once side of that leg, which is also why my back starts hurting after standing for a short time. The good part of all this is that surgery is not usually recommended as it is not usually helpful, and PT does have good results in time. So now I have a new element in my morning routine--exercises that I do while the coffee is brewing. I hope to see some improvement soon! The puppers are fascinated with the exercises, watching me with the head tilts and little "what are you doing?" noises.

Mallee--glad
    you like the DOTD!

Here's another:

AURORA SPRITZ

This beautiful blushing cocktail is the perfect aperitif for
    a summer's day.

Ingredients

• 0.5 oz. chilled gin
    • 1 oz. pink lemonade*
    • 1 oz. elderflower syrup
    • 3.5 oz. chilled Prosecco
      or other dry sparkling wine

Instructions

1. Add gin, pink lemonade and
      elderflower syrup to a champagne flute. Mix gently with a long stir stick.
      Add sparkling wine.

Notes

* 2.5 oz
    lemonade with 0.5 oz cranberry cocktail, if you don't have pre-made pink
    lemonade handy

From <>

https://portandfin.com/aurora-spritz/

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,440
    Options

Sandy- my younger “daughter” cat is named Grace. We call her “Grace, Gracie, Grace-a-Kitty, Gracie Girl, or “Kitten”.

• malleemiss251
    Options

@nativemainer, mmm bubbly and lovely that drink looks. When I do my daily aerobics the kitties disappear but when I was allowed to do weights and floor work, they used to "help" by sitting on either my back or bust - whichever was available. They thought it was great fun.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,073
    Options

NM, it sounds like you've got similar kneecap stuff to mine. I hope yours respond as well to PT as mine did. When I'm responsible about my exercises, they feel fine. Another thing that helps me a lot is tissue scraping, aka, gua sha or Graston. It's intense and painful at times, but it makes such a positive difference. What's nice is that once you learn the basics from your PT or massage therapist, you can do it for yourself at home as self-care.

I like the S-shaped stones, but there are all kinds of gadgetry available. You might want to ask your PT about what they recommend. Below is an example, but there are plenty of other options.

https://www.amazon.com/Romonacr-Scraping-Massage-Acupuncture-Shoulder/dp/B075W3PYMD/

• chisandy
    Options

My L hip is deteriorating, to the point where I have to pop a couple of Tylenol at bedtime and wait 1/2 hr for it to stop throbbing. It all started, I think, when I began to use a Squatty Potty to give my gut a "gravity assist." My legs are so short that it hurt my groin muscles when I put my feet up on it. My 1st fl toilet is low-slung as it is. Think I will hit the walk-in ortho clinic at Skokie Hosp. on Sat. to get some x-rays to rule out a stress fracture, but I'm sure this time I will find out I am a candidate for a THR. In which case, I'd better start getting my ducks in a row for pre-hab, booking a good inpatient ortho rehab facility (like the one I used after my L TKR) and finding a part-time caregiver for days when Bob has to work and I can't do the physical labor of kitty-care.

BangBang is getting to be a handful—she slammed her way into the bedroom this morning and almost broke my nose. And later today she went ballistic: a fly got into the house and she got hyperexcited trying to catch it, and she was swatting and nipping at me out of frustration. She also wants to eat at every opportunity. Unfortunately, she has pica—her "non-food" of choice is cellophane and plastic bags or wrappers. I found some plastic in her poop and Bob found she'd puked up the cellophane wrapper from a cigarette pack. We need to put all that stuff in the covered garbage & trash cans. Now, if I can only get her into her carrier and get her to a vet…

Went out for steak tonight—restaurant was BYOB, so we brought a 2017 Hahn (Monterey) cab. sauv. The tannins had softened completely and it was outstanding.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,634
    Options

Good morning, my lovelies!

Chisandy, I hope you can get some relief with your pain. The steaks sound amazing.

Not much going on here today. Need to get the next edition of my blog posted. I spent about 1 1/2 hours with the palliative team yesterday via a video visit. It was great, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed today. Saw the nurse, the doctor and the social worker. Super nice people.

Happy Thursday!

Carol

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,519
    Options

My granddaughter turns one today! We put all her birthday presents together. He mom bought a Little Tikes slide. She can climb the steps to it just yet, but she loves to slide. We got her a riding toy that we bought for our house and a outside water table. Three adults couldn't get one part together so DH called the help line and it turns out it was on backwards.

We are having birthday cake for dinner and my daughter's in-laws are coming over.

• wallycat
    Options

Oh Dear my on BangBang and her Pica. And sorry to hear about your hip pain.

I am going to have some kind of prosecco tonight with my wings and tacos (B-day and DH is willing to imbibe). He doesn't like alcohol but will tolerate something sparkly with me on occasion.

My labs are trickling in and so far, all looks stable. A few ups and downs, but overall, the important M-spike (stable) and flc (light chains)-all normal range.

My biggest gripe this morning is that even with sleeping on a silk pillowcase, my face looks like a river carved a canyon. OY on the sleep creases. It means I got a great night's sleep, but it will take forever to "iron out" this canyon, LOL. Happy to be here to complain about it!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Happy first birthday to your granddaughter, Karen. The presents sound like good choices that she will enjoy.

I had a Cosmo cocktail with lunch at Oyster Half Shell today. It tasted good but wasn't the best Cosmo I've had. Also, it was served in a low glass, not a stemmed glass, which diminished the "glamor." The lunch was a farewell for the summer occasion.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Wally - so glad your labs are coming back normal. Happy Birthday.

Carole - safe travels. Boy, we have sure had some torrential rains. Posting not in case I lose power again.

• chisandy
    Options

Karen, happy first birthday to your DGD!

BangBang was a bit better behaved today, but she sharpened some of her claws again on her cardboard scratcher (I had trimmed them earlier this week), and when she pets my face she doesn't realize she's scratching me. Her breath is much better.

Went out to Calo with the kids and our HK (she moves to AL on Tues. after her house closes). DOTD was Nicolas Feuillatte brut.