Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,841
    Options

Goldie, glad you are with family.

Karen, I always think of you when there are references to Jewish holidays and meals. Yes, time does pass fast and it's evident when you have children in the family. I know you will enjoy the visit of daughter and grandchild.

We are supposed to get some cooler weather for a few days with lower humidity and then back to the heat and humidity. I walked at 11:00 am yesterday and had to change my clothes when I got home because of perspiring. I had meant to walk a few minutes longer than 30 minutes but decided against it.

NM, a list with multiple pages is funny! We keep a pad handy on the kitchen counter to jot down items to buy on the next grocery run.

Happy Sunday to everyone.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,812
    Options

Good Morning, Loungette! Happy Sunday Funday! Yesterday started out very gloomy, a little rainy, and chilly. So of course, I got nothing done around the house all day. The sun is out this ayem so I'm expecting to have more energy and get more done. One thing I need to do is find the hummingbird feeder and get it set up. Hummers usually come back in the middle of May, but the reports from the places that track hummers have them showing up a couple of weeks early this year.

Carole--thanks for the support. I don't mind helping Mom out with things but I don't want to end up with my life revolving totally around her plans. Not that she would do that on purpose, but I can see her getting more dependent on me as time goes by. It's age-related cognitive decline, and it hurts to hear her call herself "stupid" because she can't manage internet and cell phone stuff without help.

Miriandra--Oh MY!!!

Wally--I'd gladly send you the frost from the last couple of nights!

Goldie--Yup, the phone saga continues! Yup, still running the heat for an hour or two many ayems to get the house temp up to 55. Temps still getting down in the 30s and 40s at night, not quite getting to 60 during the daytimes. I'm glad to hear you are in rehab, the sooner rehab is started the sooner it will be of help to you. It sounds like a good idea to stay with your brother for a bit, until you are comfortable being alone. Be sure to ask your discharge planner/social worker about home health services that might be available to help you at your brother's and once you get home. That can make a big difference.

Karen--Love the bi-polar weather description! GD is almost a year already? Is she walking? I bet you can't wait to see DD#1 and GD. Thanks for the well wishes for Mom's new phone. That's going to be tomorrow's project.

Carole--Mom starts her grocery list (and other lists and information) on the top page of a pad, tears it off and puts it "where I'll know right where it is" and then can't find it when she goes to add something later, and starts a new one. Every time she picks something like a grocery list up, she puts in down in a different place, and loses track of where it went. It's often funny, but sometimes a bit frustrating.

Bipolar Christy

Ingredients

1.5 oz Vodka

3 oz pomegranate juice

2 oz Lime juice

garnish Pomegranate

Recipe

1. consider making fresh Lime juice you can press fruit yourself (be careful - fresh juice stays good only 12 hours)
    2. mix the ingredients together with ice
    3. prepare Highball glass almost full with crushed ice
    4. garnish with Pomegranate if desired

Source: https://homedrinkmenu.com/drink-recipe/bipolar-christy

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,273
    Options

Miriandra: "Go home, winter! You're drunk!" Seeing as how you posted that on 4/20…shouldn't it be "stoned?"

Lori, what a blessing to have family around to be with you every step of the way.

Not doing or going to Seder this year—just don't have the appetite for foods I shouldn't be eating anyway. We have gefilte fish, matzo and sugar-free macaroons, though.

Haven't been logging on lately because the kitties have been running me ragged—especially BangBang, who is extremely jealous of the computer and won't let me type more than a sentence at a time, if that (she gets on my lap & chest, in my face and rubs & head-butts me). One or the other hides where I can't find her, and right now even the sound of the can opening or treat-bag shaking is not working. And I have no idea what wet food they'll eat at any given time. I can't tell them apart except when they're together.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 848
    Options

Sandy your kitties sound like toddlers 🤗

Lori good to hear you may be breaking out soon!

NM I'm with you on gray days/ less energy. And it's OK. You're retired!

Had a cocopolitan tonight with yellow curry. Kind of a coconut infused martini. A bit sweet but good.

• chisandy
    Options

I was fortunate to have dealt with only one toddler. Siblings would've driven me nuts. Right now, they're both innocently curled up on the daybed (Roxy) and love seat (BangBang). I don't know why, but Roxy seems more like a "Gracie" to me. I usually nickname BangBang "Big Bang" or "the Bangster." My biggest problem with her is keeping her out of the bedroom when I need to sleep. I keep the French doors closed so the light from the hallway (which for some reason can't be turned off) doesn't keep me awake. Though Bob sleeps in Gordy's old room (which started when we had to isolate during bouts of COVID but now keeps us from being annoyed by each other's snoring & restless legs), his clothes & underwear are still in the chest & closet in the primary bedroom. He works 8am-4:30pm now, and for the past few days had to leave earlier to take the train(s) while his car was being repainted. Saturday morning after picking out his clothes he forgot to firmly close the doors; I was awakened not long after by what felt like a lion jumping on to the bed, followed by much headbanging, aggressive nuzzling & kissing and purrs like a car that had its catalytic convertor stolen.

So that afternoon, while I got dressed, I looked for her and didn't see her—so I firmly shut the doors. Came home from shopping to feed the girls but couldn't find her despite calling her name. I opened the French doors and she shot out of the room like a cannonball. Then I discovered she'd opened the doors of the center section of my dresser that contains my lingerie drawers. (After 37 years, one of the doors is misaligned and no longer closes easily). There, on the floor, was my panty drawer, under a mountain of disorganized underpants. In order to reorganize it, I had to pack away the cotton "granny panties" I wear only for MRIs—and if you ever had to buy them, you know they come only in 6-packs—and my size 9/XL undies. I now have to literally slam those doors closed, so she can't pry them open with her paw (as she tries to do with the kitchen cabinet that holds crackers).

• creativezoo
    creativezoo Member Posts: 31
    Options

I am soooo behind! I want to take a moment to thank everyone for the warm welcome! Especially the amazingly witty drink recomendation from @goldie0827 - chef’s kiss! Also I would like to let you know @goldie0827 that I also now am the proud owner of a shower chair and other recommended “medical aids” (or reminders of the lack of energy/stamina/flexibility/……) so does age really count?? My transition back to work is what caused my absence and to make matters even more exciting (?) I came back to threats of layoffs due to budget issues and am now fearful of losing my job. Therefore, I am not restarting Tamoxifen until I am comfortable that I’m being kept….and have absolutely rekindled my ‘weeknight, relax in the garden with a drink’ routine. So here’s a clinky to you lovely ladies as I enjoy my favorite local hard cider 🥂

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,833
    edited April 23
    Options

Karen, 11 months??? Where the heck does time go??? How long are the kids staying? I know you are excited! Sorry about the bi-polar weather...lol. Nora will be 3 on Cynco de Mayo, and Cayden is 4 months. I think I'm the only one that calls him Cayden. His name is Anthony Cayden, and everyone else calls him AC. Which I don't understand. Cayden is such a cute name.

Carol, you will be heading to the campground soon, yes?

NM, I hear ya about no motivation when it's chilly and gloomy out. Even if it's cloudy, I don't feel like doing much. Do you think mom would use a dry erase board? My hummers should be out and about in AZ, but of course, I'm not there to feed them. Hurts my heart as well, that mom is calling herself stupid. At least she is trying to keep up with times.

LOL Sandy, I had forgotten about "4/20". I'm assuming your new fur babies are not "babies", but full size cats? Are they sisters, and did you name them, or they were already named?

Creativezoo, what inspires that name? Where do you live? EDIT: Never mind, I see you are in OR.

I had to hustle yesterday to get me a PC, as I need one in order to get home/health care. Which will come out 2-3 times a week. Went with my brothers PC and have appt this Thursday. I will need training on my feeding pump, which is permanent. I also need to get on board with an MO. I have one that was ref. to me by many staff members here at the hospital. Also, he is a cutie! Discharge date is set for tomorrow!

DOTD: Chef's Kiss

3/4 ounce Fernet-Branca
    3/4 ounce yellow Chartreuse
    3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
    3/4 ounce Demerara syrup
    Garnish: black-sea-salt-coated lime wheel

Add all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.

Double-strain into a chilled coupe glass.

Garnish with a black-sea-salt-coated lime wheel.

• goldie0827
    Options

Just an FYI. I hadn't noticed that we could add our location to our profile, until I asked Zoo where she lived, and noticed that it is posted by her avatar...Oregon. Just go to your profile settings, you can add it there. Here is me, in AZ. But soon to be in MI.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Love the fruit flavored teas.

I feel like having a drink! No more school until May 6!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,991
    Options

For anyone curious, you can add your location to your profile using the instructions outlined here:

It won't show the image with the pin like above, but it'll allow you to share what city/town and state you live in, should you want to! 😎

• chisandy
    Options

My kitties are indeed littermate sisters, 7 years old (turning 8 next month). I didn't name them—their original human did. I've never renamed a cat—the only ones for whom I chose names came to me without names.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Looks like I missed a few days again. Getting lazy in my retirement, I guess. I did go see Mom on Monday, she's caught a respiratory virus, tested negative for COVID, and is feeling moderately miserable. She swears this is the first time since I was a baby that she's ever caught a cold. I distinctly remember her having the same symptoms from time to time, but she would say "it's just a cold, it's not like I'm really sick." Fortunately, she has an appointment with her doctor this afternoon. I do feel badly for her, she sounds so stuffed up and miserable.

Chi--it sounds like the kitties are really keeping you busy! Funny how BangBang gets jealous of the computer!

Reader-- the cocopolitan sounds intriguing!

Chi--oh my goodness, poor BangBang! She sounds like a real little whirlwind of a kitty. And a pretty smart one to be figuring out how to open, or at least try to open, doors and drawers. She really is keeping you on your toes!

Creative--going back to work to talk of layoffs is not what I would call "exciting," more like "stressful" or "frightening"! The weeknight, relax in the garden with a drink routine sounds wonderful. Congrats on the shower chair and related make-life-easier aids. I've been using a shower bench since recon surgery. Needed it right after surgery, liked being able to sit down to shave my legs and reach my feet so I never stopped using it.

Goldie--the dry-erase board is a good idea. I think I'll pick up one and give it a try. Cayden is a really nice name, I do like it better than AC, that makes me think of electricity! Hard to believe Nora is going to be 3 already. I'm sure you miss your hummers and your place in AZ. So happy to hear you have a discharge date set, and so soon! The feeding pump won't take you long to learn, they are really user-friendly these days. It sounds like you got lucky finding a new PCP and to be able to get in so soon. The drink looks wonderful!

Mommy--HOORAY for Spring Break! I'm so old I can remember it being called Easter Break.

Chi--bless you for adopting seniors!

Baltimore Bang

Shake in iced cocktail shaker strain/blend

1½ oz bourbon (4.5 cl)

½ oz apricot flavored brandy (1.5 cl)

1 oz fresh lemon juice (3 cl)

½ tsp sugar (2 dashes)

Add orange slice a cherry

Serve in a cocktail glass (4.5 oz)

From <>

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Let’s celebrate! Went for my routine scan today and it looks like from the preliminary results, it’s A BIG FAT NOTHING BURGER as far as recurrence goes! In other words “Mr. C is still on a permanent vacation” far from me!

• carolehalston
    Options

Happy dance time, mommyof3!!

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,057
    Options

Hooray for great news!!

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Yep!

• chisandy
    Options

Woo-hoo, m0mmy!

With Passover dinner last night, a Montinore Estate (OR) Pinot Noir (no vintage listed). Bob had the same, with a "Black Manhattan" to start (a cocktail variation that is all the rage around here). Why beat around the bush name-wise? Just call it a "Harlem." (Sorry, someone had to say it).

With leftovers tonight, Mumm Napa 2016 Blanc de Blancs brut. (Bob had a generic Argentinian Malbec with the brisket).

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,510
    Options

Lori - DD#1 and GD are leaving May2nd. Passover ends April 30th. They are staying an extra day so we can celebrate DD#1 38th birthday on May 1st - her birthday is May3rd. She wants birthday with Mommy's birthday cookie! A couple weeks ago, I made oatmeal walnut chocolate cookies with one large cookie and a few dozen regular cookies and also made and knishes to bake just before we eat dinner. DH will grill chicken wings. DS will come join us for dinner.

DS's birthday is on Mother's Day this year so he took the day off and will come for dinner to celebrate his birthday and mother's day.

Our sedars were nice, just the family, but I was/am exhausted! I just don't have the stamina with all the events of the past year as well as LOUSY sleep. So far the CPAP has been troublesome. Last night it keep saying attach the hose, major leak notice. The hose was attached. It turned off after 4 seconds so after 20 minutes, I gave up. Intermittent success with the mask seal. I may have to break down and try a different mask, but I worry if that is no better. Going to call today. I'm just so worn out and so frustrated. Been eating too much junk at night and my weight is higher than its been in years. If I wouldn't snack at night I could take it off. I need to loose 5# (and hopefully by my medical oncology appointment in just over a week!!!

Well, off for a morning walk before I leave for work.

Lori - Cayden is a great name.

Have a great Thursday.

• carolehalston
    Options

Karen, trying different masks is normal for adjusting to the CPAP. My husband tried several and he gets 8 or 9 hours sleep now. A great improvement for me because he doesn't snore any more. Good luck. Glad you're enjoying so much family time.

Neighbors took us out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant last night to express appreciation for a favor dh had done. Cocktails called "martinis" were $5. I had one and it tasted good but like a mixture of fruit juices. Next I had their house margarita on the rocks. It was nice but not memorable. The food was very good and nicely presented but their bar drinks could use some improvement. I usually go for the "top shelf" margarita but I couldn't figure out if this restaurant had such a drink.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! I'm shaking my head at Mom this ayem. She got to her doctor's appointment late and the office was closed, so she got rescheduled for this afternoon. Now she's upset about having afternoon appointments because it took her so long to get home, as she was on a road very heavily trafficked during morning and afternoon commute times, plus it was raining so everyone had their high beams on making it hard for her to see, and she didn't sleep good last night and still feels crummy and is just having a difficult ayem today. You know the "man-cold" stereotype of a guy acting like he's dying when he has a cold? She sounds like that! I offered to drive her to her appointment this afternoon so she won't have to deal with the traffic and such, but she refused. I kind of hope she will change her mind, but will have to wait and see.

Mommy--HOORAY!!!! Love Mr. C being on permanent vacation! Great news! What are we drinking to celebrate?

Raising a glass with Carole and Miriandra!

Chi--The Black Manhattan sounds interesting.

Karen--so nice to have your family around for the holidays! Love DD#1 wanting a Mommy's birthday cookie! I've hear CPAP can be really hard to get used to/get working correctly. I'm sorry you are going through that. I wish we had something better.

Carole--great info for Karen! How nice of the neighbors to take you out for dinner and drinks!

Black Manhattan

Ingredients

• 2 ounces rye whiskey
    • 1 ounce Averna amaro
    • 1 dash Angostura bitters
    • 1 dash orange bitters (such as Regan’s)
    • Garnish: brandied cherry

Steps

1. Add the rye whiskey, Averna, Angostura bitters and orange bitters into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
    2. Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
    3. Garnish with a brandied cherry.

From <>

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! Well, the mother did it again. I got a call a bit before 3 peeyem from her doctor's office, she didn't show for her 2:15 peeyem appointment after showing up at 5 peeyem for her 3:45 peeyem appointment yesterday. She told me the new appointment was at 3:45 peeyem. I should have picked up that was the same time as the original appointment and had her double check the appointment card, but missed it. I did finally get through to her on her phone, she was nearly at the doctor's office, had stopped to do some shopping, so I could send her on her way in time for the later appointment they were holding for her. I've got to call her later this ayem and find out what the doctor said about her cold and the appointment thing. I've thought about putting a tracker in her car or on her phone, I'm thinking maybe it's time I do that before she goes out and gets lost somewhere. She may not have dementia, but she sure has some cognitive issues that are getting worse as time goes by.

Shaking my head at Mother Nature, too, after waking up to evidence of a freeze overnight. The weather people had put out a "special weather statement" talking about the drop in temperature expected, and saying that a freeze warning wasn't going out because it's not yet official growing season here, but if anyone had put out plants to cover them or bring them in. Colt had to break a layer of ice on the puppy pool this ayem to get is morning slurp. I keep nice fresh water in the house for them, but he insists on drinking from the pool that needs to have a bunch of dead leaves and junk cleaned out of it!

Wow, quiet in the HTL today!

A QUIET COCKTAIL

0.75 oz Cointreau

0.75 ox Dry vermouth

0.75 oz Sweet vermouth

0.75 oz The Botanist gin

• goldie0827
    Options

Well, I am out of jail! Staying with brother, as I am not able to be alone. I really can't call it jail, the nurses, aides and even house keeping were AMAZING, to say the least. So glad I opted to stay at the hospitals rehab center instead of going to an out center. As for the feeding tube, by brothers have been taking care of it. PITA with it, is that I'm attached to it for 16 hours! Starting at 4:30 in the afternoon. I was able to get in to see and establish new PC yesterday, he is my brother's PC as well, and he new of my situation from my DB, spent the night before my appt. looking at my records and was going to do more last night. I love him! My weight has gone from 94 to 110 in the last 3 weeks. It's a struggle to get 1000-1500 calories in me, usually I am close or just slightly over 1000. I can only eat small portions and have to stop.

Mommyof3, that is great news and WTG kicking the Rat BasTUDE to the curb. May he never visit you again!

Karen, Happy Birthday to both of the girls and your DS. Is the baby walking? And I need to gain weight! Good luck with the CPAP, I hope you can find one that works. Do you have to have both nose and mouth covered?

NM, I hope mom likes the idea of a dry erase board. Of course, one on the wall would be best, as she can't misplace it! AC reminds me of electricity too. My neice said I could call him Cayden, and he can make up his own mind when he gets older. I hope mom made her appt. and hopefully is feeling better.

Hey hey and CHEERZ to all!

• goldie0827
    Options

NM, looks like one of us bumped the other into the pewl!

I use the app Life 360. My brothers can see where I am and visa versa. You can also have it so it notifies you when the person leaves and arrives back home. It's also free. Of course there is a paid version, but we find the free one fine for what we want. Maybe you could try that, with or without her knowledge.

WallyCat, saw your post about DH and hearing aide. Been fighting with my brother over the same thing. He went out and just bought some, and of course doesn't like them and cant' figure it out. My neighbor's DH just got some (from a doctor) and he LOVES them. My DB heard him say that and called today to get an appt.

• carolehalston
    Options

DH went to a doctor for his hearing aids. I urged him to get the best available whatever the price because I knew of so many people who didn't use their hearing aids after they got them. He likes being able to adjust the volume with an app on his phone. Also likes listening to audio books when he's in his workshop or exercising in the gym. The hearing aids aren't perfect. He has that common problem of background noise being very annoying.

When he isn't wearing them around the house, communication gets difficult. I have to repeat myself slowly and distinctly.

You're in my thoughts, Goldie, and you're also something of a role model, a very admirable fighter.

NM, dh and I have a free app on our phones that let us know where the other person is. Find My is the name of it. From my point of view, that of an 81 year-old woman, I think your mother should maintain as much independence as is safe for her.

I just got back from a get-together with some former classmates who went to a small rural school, first grade through nineth grade. We had a potluck lunch at the waterfront camp of one of the classmates. My memories of those years are spotty. I wouldn't have recognized most of them if I saw them somewhere. Boring for dh, but he was a trooper and didn't complain. A number of the classmates are deceased.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,510
    Options

I've been wearing hearing aids for many, many years. About 6+ years I ago I got bilateral HA. My hearing is so bad in my right ear - always poor hearing, buy chemo and age contributed to further decline. Even with HAs, I miss much in conversation. I have to be looking at the person talking to hear them.

Lori -GD is close to walking but not there yet. She can walk holding two hands and stands by herself. We bought a little tights right on/push toy for her and DH put it together today. She likes it but a little to short to ride it by herself and can't quite get her legs over. I'm hoping she'll figure out how to push it to walk!! She's such a happy baby.

Kim - hope you get things sorted out with your mom so that it is not too much work for you, but she will accept. I told my mother to doctor appointments for many years as I wanted to hear first hand what the doctor was saying as Mom didn't always get it all.

Lori - glad you have your brother. I will have to check out that app. It might come in handy one day.

Just about done cooking for Shabbat and ready to relax. DH and I wanted to walk but it's started raining. Thankfully I got one in a few hours ago.

Have a great Friday night and Saturday.

• chisandy
    Options

BangBang is very sick—refusing wet food, vomited several times today and I can't find her to lure her into the carrier to take to the urgent care vet (if we can't get there by 6 it'll have to be the 24/7 ER—assuming she comes out of hiding and doesn't violently wriggle away from me so I can get her into the carrier). I'm afraid she just crawled off somewhere to die. Roxy (her sister) has been crying for her—even though she bullies Roxy. I am heartsick, and unable to eat or drink (it's not just the Zepbound). Even had the foster mom come over to try and lure her out, to no avail. I myself have been queasy and alternately constipated and "the big D." Couldn't even drink 1/2 glass water to choke down an Atkins bar. If I can get 500 calories into me by bedtime it'll be a miracle. So much for 80 oz/80gm protein/1000-1200 cal/day.

• miriandra
    Options

Oh no, Sandy! I hope BangBang and you will both be ok. It's so hard when a pet winds down.

• miriandra
    Options
  • reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 848
    Options

Sandy keep us posted about Bang Bang. I hope she just ate something bad and somehow rebounds. It's so hard when pets are sick. I hope you feel better too.

We were at the Biltmore this week. I drank a bit more than is usual for me but they have a winery there. We enjoyed a number of them. The views of the mountains of NC were stunning.

NM I hope you can help your mom keep active yet safe for a long time to come.

Hi Lori 👋 so happy for the good update, albeit with your new cumbersome appendage.

Ready for the weekend. I'm tired from traveling 😴

• chisandy
    Options

Roxy is depressed too—she ate a few treats and sipped a little water, but just slept on the daybed a lot. Earlier in the evening, Bangbang came out and was her usual aggressively-loving self but then disappeared. The foster suggested tunafish but neither of them want it. Bob is working tomorrow so if I can get my hands on BangBang there's nobody to help me put her into her carrier to take her to the emergency vet. I am afraid to wait till Sunday, especially with all the waves of storms coming through.