Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Comments

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited September 2010

Glad to hear of your good fourtune Lena, i just finished filling out all the forms they wanted, gonna put them out in the mail soon :)

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited September 2010

Great lena, I got 2 checks and my kids are now gettting 153.00 a piece and since I got SSDI they reduced how much SSI they get, by 200.00 a piece per month so I am losing 400.00 a month...trying to make sure I can pay the bills and they took money...anyway am still on medical assistance....

Sandy

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited September 2010

In reading these comments, I want to know if anyone has been approved for SSDI when they were at a Stage 3 diagnosis.  I applied and was turned down, but have not been able to work for a year and a half due to symptoms, complications from surgery, etc.  I have appealed that decision.  Thanks for your feedback, heather

• blondiex46
    edited September 2010

not me!!

• scuttlers
    scuttlers Member Posts: 149
    edited October 2010

Thank you for this thread!  It really wasn't something I had thought about doing.

Well, filed the papers with the Social Security office (did most on line), took all down to the local office (including medical documentation) - and 12 DAYS later received approval! 

My SDI and LDI from work has been really dragging their feet on approval.  Let us hope that with the confirmation and approval from SSDI that it will light a fire under them and get them to get this done! 

• mom2acat
    mom2acat Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2010

I'm glad you got good news on the SSDI. I hope too, that that will make it faster to get the approval for the SDI and LDI.

I remember I waited about 3 weeks for SDDI approval, it was such a relief when I recieved it! 

• elizarose63
    elizarose63 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010

I was actually approved when I was stage III.  They have a trial work period where you can get full benefits while you work for up to 9 months.  Of course now i'm not working and still get the SSD

• blondiex46
    edited October 2010

what are full benefits?  I got approved in June and have been getting the money since, they cut off my medical assistance today and my food stamps cause they said I make too much money.

• scuttlers
    edited October 2010

Blondiex46 - SSDI benefits are determined by being unable to work due to a disability and the amounts are based on your personal work history, so each person can have different amounts.  SSI benefits are calculated more on need and current situations.  (I do not qualify for SSI but do qualify for SSDI.)  Sorry they cut your medical and food stamps.

To ALL:  THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!  Was able to apply on line, took documentation to the SS office and had my interview immediately, and received approval in about 10 days!  And yesterday received approval for the SDI (and that it would move directly to the long term when the SDI is maxed).  HIP HIP HOO RAY!   

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited October 2010

i need to call, i applied over a month ago and havent heard anything yet.... this is for SSI

• blondiex46
    edited October 2010

when you apply for SSD they automaticallly apply you for SSI..I applied to medical insurance through the Breast Cancer and Cervical Cancer Program...waiting to hear.....my insurance runs out 11/2.

• Ritaew
    Ritaew Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010

Did you get your first check on time?

• Ritaew
    Ritaew Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010

Hi Lena:

Did you first check arrive on time?  I'm supposed to get mine at the end of december and I'm waiting on pins and needles hoping it comes as they say  -  on time - so please advise

Thank you.

Rita 

• blondiex46
    edited November 2010

Well i was diagnosed in December of last year and usually u have to wait 6 months but I didn't apply until May and got approved in 2 weeks and got my check direct deposited in June and yep it is so exciting to see it there....

your welcome...

Sandy

• mom2acat
    edited November 2010

I also got mine on time, on the date I was told it would. I get mine by direct deposit.

• tooyoungtohavebc
    tooyoungtohavebc Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2010

I just got approved! It took about one month from the time I applied to the approval. I applied online and within a few days got a call to come in and speak to someone at the SS office and to bring any medical docs I might have. I then got a follow up call from the person at the SS office who was assisting with getting the medical records processed. Both people I worked with there were very helpful and responsive. So to me the process was pretty quick!

• mom2acat
    edited November 2010

Awesome!

• scuttlers
    edited December 2010

BUMPED!!!!!  for Flachia

• twoshoes
    twoshoes Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010

I'm just starting the process...  My question would be how far back can I go?  I stopped working in 2001 when my third child was born...  My intentions were to go back to teaching once all the kids were in school full time which would have been 2006...  But that didn't happen...  I was diagnosed the first time in 2004 (Stage I), then again in 2007 (Stage II), and again in 2010 (Stage IV)...  I have an appt with Social Security next week... And thanks for all the great info...  it helps! :) 

Another question...  what is the difference between SSI and SSDI?

• lauriesh
    lauriesh Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

Hi twoshoes,

If you have been a stay at home mom since 2001, you will not qualify for ssdi. That is based on your last 10 years of work. You must have worked 5 of the last 10 years. The only exception is if you are young (like in your mid 20's, then they don't look as far back).  I also didn't qualify because I had been a stay at home mom for a few years before I was diagnosed. It really sucks as I worked for many years before that. I am only a few credits short, and hope to go back part to work part time untli I qualify.

SSI is based on need, and my husband made too much for us to qualify for that. I think it was around mid 30,s, but by then  I was so upset  when I realized I didn't qualify for anything, I don't remember the exact number the woman on the phone told me. 

Laurie  

Diagnosed stage 4, July 2010    

• twoshoes
    twoshoes Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011

Thanks Laurie for the info...  I'm still going to go in next week and talk to them...  I had heard that because I quit work to take care of my kids (would have had 3 in daycare at once) that they will take that into consideration...  I'll let you know what I find out...  Will fight for it though and fight for my kids too :)

• blondiex46
    edited January 2011

Ok my question now is do we claim the SDD on income tax?

• deenah
    deenah Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2011

I'm in the same boat as you Twoshoes.  I quit working in 2004 when my first child was born.  My youngest is now 3, and I was planning on going back to work when she entered 1st grade.  That won't be happening now.  My SSDI benefits expired 12/31/09, and I was diagnosed with Stage IIIC 3/17/10.  I missed it by 10 weeks!  I am still trying to get it through because in November 09, I had a session with a psychologist because I was having somewhat of a mental breakdown.  I was considering seeing a psychiatrist and getting on meds because my life felt out of control.  I couldn't keep track of appointment, was forgetting to pick my son up at school, etc...  Now, I believe it was my body trying to tell me something was wrong.  I was diagnosed 4 months later.  The pychologist has all of it in her notes and is happy to talk to SS if they call.  Crossing my fingers that they will let my application slide through.  I had also heard that they will extend the time if you quit work to care for your children.  Does anyone have info on the website about that?  It isn't fair that the rules are like that.  I paid into this, and now I need the money.  I doubt I will make it to 65, so I will likely never see that money if I don't get to collect on it now.  Medical bills are mounting, and not stopping anytime soon.

• MJLToday
    MJLToday Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2011

Yes, SSD benefits are taxable.  I just got my form in the mail for all last year's benefits.  Plus, they don't withhold any during the year, so remember that in your monthly budgeting, to save back a certain % (whatever your marginal "extra" tax rate is), so you don't get in a crunch at tax time.

• blondiex46
    edited January 2011

are you kidding me, I did receive a statement but I also got ones for the boys who get SSI and they are not taxable!! Damn I will have to read it again...

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2011

Has anyone who is short of credits due to staying home to raise children gotten the necessary years extended so you qualify?  I'm thinking of not even bothering to apply because I stopped working full time in 2002, but I'm just wondering.

Cynthia

• lauriesh
    lauriesh Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2011

I am also a stay at home mom who is short credits, and I have tried everything. I spoke to a few different representatives, and always got the same answer- NO exceptions. I am an attorney, and I contacted a ss disability attorney who confirmed that there was no reason to file an appeal, wouldn't win it. I have also contacted my legislators, and have not gotten any help from them. The law needs to be changed, and one rep told me it has been proposed in the past, but always is shot down. 

Laurie

• blondiex46
    edited January 2011

Lucky for me that I am poor so I don't have to claim it, my  twins might have to thought but I don't think so.

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2011

Laurie - Thanks so much for sharing what you found out.  You certainly were thorough so I know for sure now that I wouldn't qualify. 

Cynthia 

• tooyoungtohavebc
    tooyoungtohavebc Member Posts: 65
    edited February 2011

Quick question because I have seen mixed info on this one. Those of you that are already receiving SSD payments, did you get payment for the 5 month waiting period? I got my first direct deposit payment today (YEAH!) but it was only the monthly stipend. So wondering if they will back pay me for the 5 month waiting period?

Thanks for the input!