Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Comments

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited February 2011

no, I didn't!!

• 3katz
    3katz Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2011

I didn't either - just the one month payment after the 5 month waiting period.

• Amyf
    Amyf Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2011

You don't get paid for the five month waiting period. I got my first monthly payment yesterday too :)

• tooyoungtohavebc
    tooyoungtohavebc Member Posts: 65
    edited February 2011

Thanks for the feedback gang. I did a bit more research and it seems that the answer is no payment for the waiting period.

I still can't believe I am collecting social security at the ripe old age of 44..goodness!

• maxwell677
    maxwell677 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011

I'm kickin' it disability style.

• RobinNY
    RobinNY Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2011

I elected to have Federal Taxes taken out of my SSD.  I believe you can start this at any time

• makmak
    makmak Member Posts: 374
    edited February 2011

Since I just got my first check this year, as did my kids.. I know SSD is taxable that I get.. but where do you file the kids'  Do I include it in my taxes or should I now be filing a tax return for each of my kids?

• Lifestooshort
    Lifestooshort Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2011

I'm working with my accountant right now.  My 2 kids won't need to pay taxes....their income isn't enough.  As for me, he is saying I will only have to pay Federal taxes and not State.  I did get back pay from not signing up for SSDI from when I first became stage IV, so I don't know if I'll have to file amended returns for the prior year or not.  I will be finding out when we get our taxes done.  Hope this is helpful. 

• mommyx3
    mommyx3 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2011

I was approved for ss disability in nov and will receive my first payment in May (geesh). How and when will I know if my children are eligible?  I have 3 and I know i put ther info on the application.

• blondiex46
    edited February 2011

well from what I saw in order for them to file they have to make 950.00 a year...mine only received 918.00 and they will be 18 in December of this year but seniors in high school so don't know if it will continue til they graduate.

• Lifestooshort
    edited February 2011

hi,

Only my SSDI was Federal taxed.  We even ended up with a refund!! (Based on our situation) -   Our kids don't even have enough taxable, even with the years back pay, don't even have to file a return for them.

Mommyx3 - Good to meet you!  I'm from GB.  If you are eligible, I believe your kids are eligible as well, but they aren't automatically signed up when you signed up.  You have to sign them up separately.  Enroll them now!!!  They should be eligible in May as well.

Blondiex46, my daughter turns 18 this week.  We got paperwork from SSDI that as long as we proved she was still a full time student in High School, she will get paid through the end of summer.  (July I think it was but my memory isn't that hot anymore)...at least through summer though....and ends just before college. 

And the time of month of payment is based on your birthday.  Since my birthday is in the 3rd week of January, our checks come the 3rd week of the month.  I thought that was kinda interesting!

• MJLToday
    MJLToday Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2011

RobinNY Yes you are right, you CAN have fed taxes taken out of your disability check. But, you need to specially request it -- I meant to say it's not automatic.

That's a bummer for those of you that were SAHMs.  I guess it goes to show how much we undervalue the work of mothering, in our society :(

• blondiex46
    edited February 2011
    Interesting, my birthday is 8/10 and I get mine on the 3rd....and thanks for the info...
  • mommyx3
    edited February 2011

lifestooshort- thanks for the info.  I thought I did sign them up when I filled out my initial application, but I will look into it to see if I missed a step.  Also I know u r happy about those packers...I am originally from Chicago so this has been a rough few months for me all around :)

• Lifestooshort
    edited February 2011

Oops.  Shame on me mommyx3 for assuming anyone in GB/Milw would be a Packer fan  Sealed

All I remember for my kids was I had to bring my DH to the SS office to sign papers that he would be the agent /custodian of the kids checks and have a recorded statement under oath everything was legit.  They went back to when I was eligible.  Good luck you guys! 

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2011

Well, I applied the latter part of Jan and I got my approval today and will get my first check on March 5th for Jan. then one on the 9th for Feb. and then I will be getting regular payments on the 2nd Wed. of each month.  Hope everyone is doing well and is getting through all the red tape.

• mazie1121
    mazie1121 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2011

I'm just starting to post and stay in touch with others at this stage.  I wanted to add that when I applied I did it online and then a woman from SS helped me over the phone.  After my conversation with her, it took about 3 weeks to get approved.  I did this the beginning of October and am elegible as of now (March) and will receive my first check on the 27th of April.  I wish all others the best in being processed and having their mind put at ease as mine was knowing that I can just enjoy life and get out on my good days and sit home with my heating pad on the bad.  Best of luck to all.

• grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2011

I am still working but would like to go on SSD so that I can spend whatever time I may have left-- be it weeks, months, or years-- with my family and doing the things I enjoy.  My job is very stressful and I don't want to use my energies stressing out over my job rather than enjoying what's left of my life.  So, I guess my question is, do I have to quit my job first and then apply?  Or can I turn in my resignation after I've been approved--assuming I get approved?  How does this work?

• mazie1121
    mazie1121 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2011

grammadebbie:

I was a real estate agent so was self employed.  When I applied, I had just stopped working.  Like you, I wanted to just enjoy life for as long as I can.

You can go online or, call your local ss office.  That would probably be the best option and they should be able to give you an answer.

Good luck.

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited April 2011

Bump

I just applied (2 weeks ago) after deciding that whatever time I have left I will be retired again.    Between my husband's heart disease and my BC we want whatever time we have left together.  Anxiously awaiting the approval.

• Cathy2
    Cathy2 Member Posts: 40
    edited April 2011

I have questions about SSDI. I was just dx in March stage IV from the start! I am still working and wondered if I have to be living with this disease longer to file for SSDI? Also I have accumalated sick hours to carry me for 4 months and then I think FMLA for ?? Then I could carry COBRA for 18 months? I carry the insurance!! I am worried about what to do for health coverage??  Can you get SSDI while getting paid for sick time? Should I file now or wait till all benefits run out? This is all so overwhelming...I am lost and do not know what  we should do?

• blondiex46
    edited April 2011

I have no idea but I am sure somebody does.....sorry

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2011

Cathy2 - first you file for SSD and then after 2 years you qualify for SSDI.  To get SSDI before then you have to have very limited resources or sources of income. If you are working and make more than about $9 an hour you make too much to qualify for SSDI.  With SSD you can still work and make a certain amount before they start deducting from your benefits.  Call your SSA office for help in deciding what is the best oprion for you.  Normally you have to wait anywhere from 1 to 5 months before you start receiving and SSD benefits.  

• Chickadee
    edited April 2011

Clarification is needed.  SSDI is Social Security Disability Income.  You do not file for one to obtain the other.  You are qualified for SSDI if you have earned enough Social Security quarters.  If you have recently received the yearly estimate from the SS administration it will state whether you have qualified for Disability benefits or not and an estimate of what you would receive.

I'm wondering Amyjo49 if you were thinking of SSI.  SSI is based on limited income.  SSDI is based on your contributions to Social Security, not your income.   Two years from your disability date, which is determined if you are approved for benefits and is usually the last day you were able to work, you will be eligible for Medicare coverage.  If you have worked for sometime SSDI will normally be more generous than SSI and SSDI comes with few restrictions on your assets or savings.

Cathy2 if your employer has a human resources department, you might want to call and discuss your options with them.  Then again you may not be ready to share this.  Understood. Personally if you are finding yourself no longer able to work due to this nasty disease or needing to quit because of it, then apply.  The process can take time.  The SS office has certainly worked with every possible scenario when it comes to work benefits, FMLA, etc.

• mommyx3
    edited April 2011

Cathy, since you are stage 4 you automatically qualify for SSD but there is a 5 month waiting period until you receive benefits.  I was also told that you have to wait 2 years for medicare.  I applied for SSD right after i was dx stage 4 from the start. I applied online andwithin a couple of weeks received a letter that I was approved. That was in Nov and will get my first check  in may. I go in Monday to make sure my children get theirs too.  I hope this helps

• Chickadee
    edited April 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5 month waiting period is determined from the date of disability isn't it...not the date of approval.  The date of disability is typically the day you could no longer work due to your disability.

• mommyx3
    edited April 2011

You are correct Liane, I amy have worded it wrong.  I applied 2 weeks after dx so had to wait it out.  5 months put me to April but payments are made for previuos month so I get 1st check in May. Thanks for the correction

• Unknown
    edited April 2011

Heck, I  will probably never get it....know I qualify because they told me I did at the SS office two years ago when I went in to find out about it, BUT the thing is I still enjoy working.  I would be much better off with SSD than trying to work until I get full SS benefits, but I would have to cut my work schedule back to almost nothing to make less than $999 or whatever that limit is and I don't know if either of my employers would go for that.  So I just keep putting it off. 

• mommyx3
    edited April 2011

I stopped working because I was already pushing myself with Rheumatoid Arthritis and I hated my job even though I had been there for 11 years.  i always dreamed of being a stay at home mom.  After dx I said screw it I am going to spend the rest of my life taking care of my health and my family (Im only 36 and still have young children)

• Chickadee
    edited April 2011

My decision was based on how I want the rest of my life to unfold.  My work involves travel from home and my husband and I find ourselves clinging to each other much more now.  We know life is short and want to spend what is left of it together as much as possible.  The SSDI will pay me what I would have had to wait until 66 to earn, much more than I would get in 2 years when I turn 62. 

I too love my current job.  I am a Disaster Assistance reservist for FEMA.  I really don't want to give it up.  I can remain on their employment records but remain unavailable for work so I'm going to juggle that for now and see where my new treatment heads.  If a miracle occurs and I can give up SSDI and go back to occasional work I hope to have that option.

For now the side effects are becoming troublesome, the insomnia doesn't matter so much when you don't have to get up and go somewhere everyday.  The medical appointments and uncertainty about treatment changes and new side effects has tipped the scale for me to seek SSDI.