Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Comments

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited May 2010

I have no idea until I ask, I probably will make too much money!!!

• RobinNY
    RobinNY Member Posts: 136
    edited May 2010

Hi Ladies

Here is an update on some SSDI info.  Yesterday, I was at the Social Security Office to work out an issue with my Mom's Social Security.  When the meeting was over, I asked the lady for a few moments to explain SSDI to me.  She said that work is allowed and there are 2 levels of income that they look at.  The first tier is gross wages up to $730 per month.  Income at this level and lower is rarely looked twice at or questioned by them.  The second level is $1000 per month.  Income at $731 - $1000 per month is allowed, but will require yearly examination and recertification.  She also told me to get off my duff and file online since my hours are already reduced and there is the 5 month waiting period.  I know, I have to do it and I will this weekend, guess I was in DeNile with Elizabeth.  Hope this helps someone beside me.  I had never heard/read of the $730 level before.  

Robin 

• lindamsn
    lindamsn Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010

I am 61 and just got disability.  But my third bout with cancer.  It is very smalll amount but I didn't work outside the home much.  It does help pay my medicines so shouldn't complain.  Better then nothing. 

• blondiex46
    edited May 2010

thanks never year of the 730 before, I only maee 5089 last year if you don't count my kids SSI or the child support, I guess I will see, I dropped the papers off yesterday....the guy just told me to make sure I put "terri" on the form...

Sandy

• RobinNY
    edited June 2010

Well, I submitted my online application last night.  Rounding up the financial paperwork they want to see and filing out a couple forms and will drop that off at their office later this week.  What a sad feeling that was!

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196
    edited June 2010

Hi,
    I have a question similar to Jean's above.  I am 62 and have just applied with SS for my retirement benefits.  I have not worked in 10 years. I retired in Dec of 2000 when I was originally Dx'd with BC.  I am fortunate in that my husband is employed and we did not really need my income.  Now that I have applied for the retirement benefits I am wondering if I should have applied for SS disab. instead.  I know I'd have enough quarters but where I have not worked for the past 10 years I did not think about disability if you see what I mean. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  Maybe I should contact SS?
  • Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2010

Judie - you have to have a certain # of credits within the last 10 years, so you wouldn't be eligible. I'm your age and quit work about 8 years ago. When first diagnosed, I inquired at our local SS office and was told I wasn't eligible. Better believe I applied for SS last August when I turned 62!

• blondiex46
    edited June 2010

I applied and recently received a letter from SSA saying I wasn't able to get SSI which I didn't apply for called them and they said they try SSI first before SSD, don't know.  Not sure about the quarters either,  Got laid off 2005 and then went back to work about 1 1/2 years ago, guess will see what happens.

]Sandy

• blondiex46
    edited June 2010

Called, a decision has been made last monday, wait 7 - 10 days for decision, not liking that answer....

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Member Posts: 678
    edited June 2010

Hope that they have a heart and let your application sliiiiiiiiide through.

• blondiex46
    edited June 2010

Got it...just didn't get the official notice got some other notice....just worried about the medical cause I am on medical assistance now. Afraid I will lose the food stamps, am trying to make money and afraid will lose it. I applied 5/25 and it was approved on 6/7....

Sandy

• RobinNY
    edited June 2010

Glad that's over for you Sandy. I have to drop off the rest of my paperwork tomorrow. Hope they are as quick with mine.

• blondiex46
    edited June 2010

Did get it, got the official letter today!!!

• RobinNY
    edited June 2010

congrats! 

• lorrhaw
    lorrhaw Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2010

I received a call from the local ss office this past Monday letting me know that my application has been approved.   It has been less than 4 weeks since I initially applied.  I will receive benefits for myself, my daughter and two step-kids that live with us full time, until each of them turns 18.  They said I should receive my first check in 3-4 weeks along with instructions on how the kids funds are to be handled.  I had heard that there were requirements regarding the kids funds and how they are spent so I asked the rep when he called and he said there would be information regarding this when I received the first check.

Overall I have to say that I have been very pleased with how the process worked.  I never would have thought to apply had it not been for the forum.  Thanks guys!!!!

• mom2acat
    mom2acat Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2010

Congrats! Glad you got it lorraw.

Blondie, glad you got your official letter too.

• RobinNY
    edited June 2010

Congrats Lorrhaw.  Great news!

• blondiex46
    edited June 2010

thanks, got my official one and it said how much and when but waiting for another one, they said 3 were coming, the refused to tell me what that letters say...don't know anything about medical tho.....am sure I lost my foodstamps but haven't heard about that tho. 

Congrats.Lorrhaw!!!  My kids receive SSI cause of mental health issues, I know it will affect theirs but not sure how, haven't heard.  Of course I am trying to increase my income and it isn't working.

Sandy

• RobinNY
    edited June 2010

Now Sandy...how stupid is that?  You file for SSD because you are disabled and they take AWAY help?   Unbelieveable.....

• blondiex46
    edited June 2010

Well it is affecting theirs by taking the amount that they get from me from their SSI they should get the same amount...

• nine_rugrats
    nine_rugrats Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2010

I applied online wed...2 days ago.  Then today i went into the office cause i didnt understand the difference between ssi and ssdi.  Anyway she said my application was already approved for ssdi and i had a 6 month wait.  Then she looked into ssi and because of my finanicial situation i qualify for ssi.  She said i will get that until the ssdi kicks in...the ssdi is alot more than the ssi, but at least i am getting something.  She said i should get the first check in 2 weeks. 

Of course the look of horror on her face when i said i was stage 4 was disturbing.

• blondiex46
    edited June 2010

Well good glad you got something and me too they are making faces all over the place....congrats!!!

• nine_rugrats
    edited June 2010

It was kinda funny cause she was mumbling and kinda stuttering.  She was trying to ask when i was dx with stage 4 but it was like she didnt want to say the words.  Then she said something about kids and i said yeah, 6 under 18 and she was like awww, okay.  Then wouldnt look at me for a couple minutes.  I actually tend to freak people out when i just blurt out that i am stage 4.  I guess they think i should be on my death bed or something :)

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2010

Well, it is rather horrific that we are Stage IV, isn't it? The whole mumbling, stuttering and total lack of eye contact always blows me away. But the important thing is, you will be getting some financial assistance for you and your kids. This is really great news!

*susan* 

• nine_rugrats
    edited June 2010

yeah, i think she felt so sorry for me that she doing all she could to get it passed thru fast, she said she was calling in to the main office and speed it thru so i get my first payment asap.  I am happy!!

• blondiex46
    edited June 2010

well at least she had a heart and helped, others just make the faces and don't know what to say, I feel sorry for them, cause they don't know what to say...they don't know for me, you don't have to say anything...I am good!!!

Sandy

• Enjoyful
    Enjoyful Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2010

Hey all,

I'm confused about staging.  My onc said that staging is just for initial diagnosis, and since I was diagnosed with mets I'm not technically stage IV, but have "recurrent, metastatic disease."  Has anyone else been told this?  Has it affected anyone's else's disability application?

E

• lisa34lisa
    lisa34lisa Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2010

Hi E,

In 2007 I was a stage 0 before surgery....advanced to stage I after the path came back.  In March 2010 my onc told me I was Stage IV.  I have no idea why your onc wouldn't call it Stage IV.  I've never heard of such a thing.  Maybe he didn't want to scare you?  *shrugging shoulders*

• nine_rugrats
    edited June 2010

Recurrent metastatic disease is stage 4.  So maybe he just like saying it like that.  My onc said not to get caught in staging cause there are so many different levels of stage 4.  But he said i am stage 4...So i dont know why he doesnt call it that, have u asked him?

• Enjoyful
    Enjoyful Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2010

I did ask him and he said it's technically correct to say "recurrent, metastatic" other than stage IV.  Not sure i understand it completely though.