Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

IM DONE WITH MY TREATMENT - NOW WHAT? INFO...

Options

Comments

• csp
    csp Member Posts: 119
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Vickie,
    Is it okay if I copy and paste this article on the family
    board? Thank you so much for posting it.

Hugs,
    Carrie
  • newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Carrie!!! It's so wonderful to see you. You certainly may copy and paste this article anywhere you want.
    Love and hugs
    Vickie
  • GlennaG
    GlennaG Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2007
    Options

I really needed to read that article. I was dx 7 1/2 yrs ago with bc. I moved recently and went to a new onc in my new town. He didn't ask many questions like the old one did on checkups, and he told me I was cured. I have also been very worried about my aches and pains lately but no one seems to be concerned. I am new to this site and am glad to find people like me. As we all know it is hard for others to know what we go through. I am happy to find all of you here.

• Yself
    Yself Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting that.
    I'm coming up on a year since surgery. Had my first mammogram last Monday. Am confused as to what my OBGYN's role is, now. I contacted a new one (former doesn't accept my ins anymore) and brought in my films only to be told he wouldn't look at them because he wouldn't know what they meant. Also asked me how to spell Aromasin. I went away very discouraged and a little angry. Although I have an appointment with my surgeon, who knows a lot more than he does, aren't I supposed to be under the care of an OBGYN? Who's supposed to order bone density tests, etc? An internist ordered the first one.
    I am seeing my onc every 3 months, which will change to every 6 months after September.
    I guess I want to know who does what and when?

Yvonne
  • Karenfrew
    Karenfrew Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2007
    Options
    My last chemo was June 2006, last rads September 2006. I am feeling lucky to be alive and coping! :-) I did dose dense AC/Taxol. I have neuropathy in my hands and my feet. I have joint issues. I am very much overweight and trying to eat properly and exercise. This is difficult because of the pain in my feet.
    I began taking Tamoxifen in July 2006 and immediately developed a blood clot. Spent 2 weeks in the hospital and went home with oxygen. There may still be people around who remember how much I loved that situation. Now a year lter I am taking Arimidex and continue to be hopeful that things will continue to go relatively well. I do complain a lot sometimes and I get frustrated when I can't do something that I think I should be able to do but when I think about the alternative.... I stop . I am happy to be alive and enjoying my children and husband and hope that I will be NED again at my next check up in the end of September

Kathy
  • booklady
    booklady Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Vickie. The article was great. I'm getting near the end of treatment & wondering what dr's are supposed to do what, and what questions I should be asking.

Thanks again
  • Shirlann
    Shirlann Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2007
    Options

Dear NewVickie, what a marvelous report! Just the right thing for all of us.

Thank you, Shirlann

• 2dogsnburg
    2dogsnburg Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2007
    Options

Thanks, I needed that!

Good Hopes,

Terry

• evilelf
    evilelf Member Posts: 274
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi ya ladies

bumping this wonderful item once again

peace

vera

• joanne_elizabeth
    joanne_elizabeth Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2008
    Options

Yvonne,

My oncologist is ordering the dexa scans, etc since she prescribes the aromasin.  I did have to tell them it was time for an MRI though (mammos are a total waste of time except for irradiating me). I guess we ultimately are in charge.  I see the onc every 3 months plus the surgeon for now. Hopefully they will do exams, etc, but they do not believe in bone scans or following tumor markers and I have read they do not help increase life expectancy. 

Joanne 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2008
    Options

This information was very informative for me and I needed it. I'm 2 years post diagnosis and have difficulty moving beyond so this was a great source for me. Thank you.

• Shirlann
    Shirlann Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hey gals, just so you know, most of us suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, just like the vets. The length of the treatment, the side effects, the never knowing if this thing will come back is horrible. Anti-depressants are a big help, but like everything, not for everyone.

So we all just muddle along, stay close to your church or synagogue or mosque, and try to get beyond this beast.

Gentle hugs, Shirlann

• snowyday
    snowyday Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2008
    Options

Vicki this article is just what I needed today, just finished my last rad and had to have a tooth checked they'll pull it thurs, chemo toasted it. But when I got home late in the afternoon. I first thought this is great no more rads or treatment, then the fear crept into my brain, big time.  Thank you so much, I'm so happy it's been posted again I need to print this and give it to all oncs and my back doctor she's been acting as my family physician because it's impossible to get one in London. This is so informative and will keep me on track as well. Pearl

• joanne_elizabeth
    edited January 2008
    Options

Shirlann,

You are so right about the PTSD.  Just read something about this in a mag last night. It is living with the constant fear, the deformity for some of us, the aching joints from AIs, the no hair, short hair and sometimes the looks of pity from others that get drive you to the brink.  I agree staying close to something spiritual is good. I find myself telling myself as well that everyone is going to die, everyone will lose her/his looks eventually.  We are not the only ones. We need to try to enjoy our time as long as we can despite the fear.

Joanne 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2008
    Options

This is so good.  Something I was looking for.  I dont ever think Im gonna move on.  I try to enjoy life each day, but Im changed, forever.

• susieloutoo
    susieloutoo Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2008
    Options

Newvicki -

My family and a few Bc survivors were just questioning why we  have not or will not be tested and this article helps explain it....It is so informative and helpful - so great to "read what I am feeling". I copied it and forwarded it to my family and firends who want to know.

I just finished my treatment and I am triple neg - my hubby really needs to read this!!! I think he thinks it is all over....but I still am very tired and am stuggling with what happens next. I am trying so hard to get back into a routine.

With gratitude,

Susieloutoo

• HollyHopes
    HollyHopes Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2008
    Options

looking for something, not sure just what...but wondering why i am not overjoyed to be done with it all...feeling blue and worried and then silly for being worried....feel that i have burnt out all my friends and family...

• Candyce
    Candyce Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2008
    Options

I am four years since tx. and I have to tell you the scariest time for me was soon after chemo.  I felt so frightened and worried.  I got this book and it was such a help.  Now I give it as gifts when I know anyone who is finishing tx.

http://www.amazon.com/After-Breast-Cancer-Common-Sense-Treatment/dp/0553384252/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204305794&sr=1-1

Thinking of you...

• newvickie
    edited February 2008
    Options

Bumping for all the new girls that are trying to "move beyond" and the families that don't understand.

Love and hugs to all

Vickie

• Bancroft
    Bancroft Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2008
    Options

Thanks for keeping this fresh!  I have enjoyed it before, but just just printed it and gave it to my husband.  he really thanked me saying it explained a great deal of his questions as well so perhaps others might want to share this with family members.

• lbmt
    lbmt Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2008
    Options

thank you too, this is the first time i got to read this info

hugs, lbmt

• llivtswm
    llivtswm Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2008
    Options

I too am 1 year past diagnosis. I have my mamamogram and ultrasound on the April 15th./08.  I've  been a basket case worrying about whether it will come back negative. I've see 2 wee pimple marks on my bad boob and have been freaking. When i found the original lump a yr. ago it was underneath on the skin where the skin touches the underwire from a bra. So here comes some more lorazapam.

Anyone tell me how they dealt with the fear of 1st mamogram after the 1st. yr. Also what are the chances of recurrences in the 1st. yr. 

Dx 3/4/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/40 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- 7 months on Arimidex

• joanne_elizabeth
    edited April 2008
    Options

Just had mine Wed.  It wasn't bad since it hasn't been long since MRI in Dec. How much can grow in 4 months?  They took  forever getting it done though and didn't want to do an ultrasound without a dx mammogram which was a hassle. I feel pretty confident now that they check me with ultrasounds and MRIs in between.  Mammograms on me were negative right before I had my mastectomy so I don't count on them much for anything but some radiation. I

Joanne 

• omo
    omo Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2008
    Options

I really needed to read what you wrote, thanks for sharing!!!

• halsing
    halsing Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options

This was wonderful information; people just don't know the half of what we've been through.  My life will never be the same (in so many ways).  The loss that you experience is almost like a grieving process-this really said it all.  Thanks, Vickie.

• joanne_elizabeth
    edited July 2008
    Options

No people don't get it, at all. It is definitely a grieving experience, for lost health, for pieces, parts of our bodies destroyed by cancer, surgery and radiation and the loss of the innocence of thinking we are healthy.  It is also something that is never far away - every time I get dressed, take a shower or bump into my fake boob there is a reminder.  Every time I look at my new hair it is a reminder. Every time I bump into someone who asks "how ARE you doing?" it is a reminder.

Thankful, however, not to have any new symptoms of cancers I am aware of today ! 

Joanne 

• Mariedoll
    Mariedoll Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    Options

Wow!  I needed this!!  I don't know how to move on but this article really helps.  Thank you for sharing this valuable information.

• newvickie
    edited July 2008
    Options

bumping

• bluewillow
    bluewillow Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2008
    Options

This is a great article and hopefully bumping it up will help many others.  Thank you, Newvickie!

I consider myself so very blessed to have a supportive husband who has kept pushing me to go beyond depths of despair that I could easily fall into if I didn't "keep my chin up and keep living".  Sure I have worries and concerns, but I will not let them run my life!  And I do my share of complaining and whining, but I'm consciously trying to keep that at a minimum and remember the things I can control (like my weight gain) and the things I cannot (like my diagnosis and the subsequent treatment hell).  I am trying to live life in the way that I should have always lived it:  one day at a time.  I know that may sound corny to insane, but breast cancer has taught me a lesson that I was blind to before, so I live by a new motto:  life is very short and fragile, so chill out and enjoy life each and every day!  When I read of people who have lost their lives in traffic accidents, who never get to tell their loved ones 'good bye', who never have a second chance to do things they've always wanted to accomplish, etc., I feel fortunate. And breast cancer is not the only serious illness that we humans face and the end of life comes to all of us eventually.  How about the people with heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's-- they also face monumental challenges at survival and quality of life.  This is just my perspective on my own situation and my way of dealing with it and may not apply to anyone else, but it helps me to stand back, look, and see that there are always "others that are in worse shape" and feel more compassion for them and less pity for myself.

Hugs and my best to all,

Mary Jo 

• lizlane
    lizlane Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thank you very much, Newvickie..... I am 5 months out of treatment and I have more questions now than before BC!  This has helped me greatly... it will help my famly also, who had questions I could not answer. 

Thanks again.

Liz