Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• bluedasher
    bluedasher Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2009
    Options

I also got scarves from anokhiusa.com and have been very happy with them. I'll add that the material ties easily and is comfortable to wear.

When I bought the scarves, I sent an inquiry to Anokhi because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't buying products made with child labor and was very happy with the following reply:

"We are going to put up a history on our website because folks need to know the history but until then I will briefly tell you that this is a company that has been revolutionary for the past 4 decades. They have had on site childcare, retirement plans, and free medical care for their staff from very early on. They have sponsored agricultural projects, veterinary care, well projects, built schools and supported teacher training for the many villages that they work in. They have a large organic garden from which they feed their staff two meals per day. I could go on and on but I hope you get the picture. So the brief answer is yes I do confirm that there is absolutely no child labor involved."

• nandy1975
    nandy1975 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have finished four rounds of AC and about to start 12 of taxol. Has anyone experienced extremely sweaty hands and feet? This has NEVER been an issue for me before and now in Boston, where it is snowing and 25 degrees my hands and feet are cold but pouring sweat!! so weird . . .

• nandy1975
    nandy1975 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2009
    Options

I just finished 4 cycles of AC and will start on 12 of taxol on Wed. Following each cycle of AC i had a shot of neulasta 24 hours later. I had absolutely NO side effects from the neulasta and my white blood cell counts were always perfect. I am so sorry to hear some people have such a hard time with it but honestly it doesnt affect everyone in that way.

• boyzbeebs
    boyzbeebs Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2009
    Options

I just finished chemo.  I had CMF, Cytoxan, Methotrexate, 5 Fluorocil.  I don't know if the doctor's mention this type of regimen, but my Oncologist said it's similiar to Adrimycian and Taxol.  I had/have really bad joint pain from the chemo.  Everyone is different and nobody could tell me how I was going to feel.  To everyone:  You'll get through it.  Just take one day at a time and pray.  I had bad and good days.  Now, I have surgery next week to get my expanders out.  Yeah.  Good luck to all.  Just make sure you drink lots of water and cut out sugar, which is hard.

• SamanthaR
    SamanthaR Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hello

I am taking care of my Mother who has just completed her 3rd chemo session and she has one more to go before surgery.  I was hoping some one could give me some advice about anti nausea drugs.  Every time she takes a pill it just comes straight back up, we have changed her perscription a few times (Zophren gave her a highly irregular heart beat).  Has anyone else had this problem and if so what alternatives did you use?  Thank you so much in advance for any advice I feel very helpless when she's in this condition.

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

Is she taking the pill before she gets nauseated or just if she IS nauseated?  My onc's told me to take all the pills regardless on schedule so I wouldn't get nauseated to start wtih..........

Deb

• SamanthaR
    SamanthaR Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2009
    Options

She takes them before she gets nauseated but now the problem is that she is constantly nauseated.  They just don't seems to be working.  She also has a big mental block on everything to do with her condition thinking about even taking a protien shake or a pill makes her feel ill.

Sam

• Believe1
    Believe1 Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi I am a new comer to this forum, and reading everything about what chemo does, scares me to death!!  I find out Monday if I have to start chemo, and it being based on my oncotype score, which was 27 before meds.  All I can say is that I am scared!!!!!!!!!!

• Sessna1
    Sessna1 Member Posts: 200
    edited March 2009
    Options

Dear Believe1,

What was your last score?  28 seems to be edging up there, but, everyone's circumstance is different, and I send prayers that you will not have to endure chemo.

Cancer treatment is different from when two past generations of my family had it and died from it.  I think my mother was too weak to even start the regimen they put her on, may she rest in peace.  Her cousins were basically executed, and suffered so badly before they died with the treatments.  That was a generation ago, people.  No wonder the stigma for cancer, tumors, is still so bad.  There are people who won't undergo treatment out of the fear that treatment will kill them before the cancer would.  You're talking to a former member of that group.  By the way, for some people, I said some people, that opinion is correct.  That's why you have to read and learn about your particulars.  My cancer got nasty with mets. 

I am to go to my second cycle tomorrow, and I don't look forward to feeling weak and crappy for about 14 days afterward, but it's the only way medical science has now to try to control cancer.  I've heard of The Oasis of Hope in Mexico, but unless I wanted to spend my life savings on something that I'm not sure of - OR - if I was really very wealthy, that's not an option.  Allegedly, I said allegedly, Geraldine Ferraro went there, and said that it was instrumental in her remission.

Be aware.  Read, read, read.  Know your own numbers and your own body.  Stressing will not help - be as informed as you can about why your doctor/onco is recommending what he or she does for you.  Ask questions.

I will tell you that it is your body and your choice.  If you do chemo, you are going to need to be strong and have a support network.  If you do not do chemo, you are going to need to be strong and have a support network.  If you do not need chemo, Praise God.

Love in Christ,

Sessna1

• Sessna1
    Sessna1 Member Posts: 200
    edited April 2009
    Options

Okay.  Cycle two chemo cocktail is in.  Yes, I am in the March 2009 start-up group on the boards.  Hi to y'all.

The deal breaker number of concern for the main breast cancer marker is 31.1 or higher (CA 15-3). Still, everyone is different.  Some people have a cancer score of 4000, and they are still walking around.  It depends upon your own, personal circumstances what your number really means.  CA-125 is the ovarian cancer marker.

The more aggressive your cancer cells, the more aggressive your onco should be with you, and keep you in the loop.  I know that doctors are human, but sometimes they tell you something that was known the last visit and you KNOW they didn't tell you that on the last visit.  Then, you must work up compassion for them and WRITE DOWN the most important things you want to know about your condition.  The results of the last tests, when the last tests were, what the results may or may not mean  - do mean, can mean, or do not mean.

Yes, this sure is a journey - an uphill one.  Fight the good fight.

Love in Christ,

Sessna1

P.S.  I am sorry to "yell" in caps.  May I blame it on the Decadron today?  I am kind of hyper.

• knowledgeforpower
    knowledgeforpower Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2009
    Options

SamanthaR

I am on 4 cycles of AC.  With the first one, I had a big problem with nausea.  I vomited as soon as I got home and then again on days 4-6 after chemo.  For the second go around, I got 1 mg of Ativan before I left the infusion center, no vomiting that night.  I also used a Sancuso patch (in place of the Zofran) which I placed the day after chemo (should be the day before, but I didn't have it).  I took Emend for 4 days post chemo and phenegran every 6 hours for 5 days.  I was little queasy, but I didn't vomit.  The onc nurse said to put 1/2 Ativan under my tongue if I sarted feeling nauseated and it would get into my blood system faster.  I also continued with the Decadron the day of chemo and for 2 days post chemo.  Hope your mom is feeling better

• Believe1
    edited April 2009
    Options

I thought Ativan was for panic attacks or stress related feelings?  So are you saying they also use it for nausea?  If I would take one before my first tx which is tomorrow ( Friday the 10th ) do you think that would help me get through it alittle easier, because I am about freaking out?  I wasnt this scared for my mast, which wasnt that long ago.  Anything would help at this point.

• susan13
    susan13 Member Posts: 102
    edited April 2009
    Options

Believe1, I took Ativan before EVERY treatment, and oh yes it helped me with the anxiety and stress!  I am a firm believer in the stuff!

• Lainey64
    Lainey64 Member Posts: 127
    edited April 2009
    Options

I finished chemo 4 wks ago and I still take Ativan.  I still have tingling fingers and toes at times from the Taxol and it makes it difficult to sleep.  The Ativan relaxes me and I don't have a problem sleeping at night. 

I did DD A/C and Taxol every 2 weeks.  After my first A/C, I was nauseous as soon as I got home.  I only had Zofran at the time and it did nothing to help.  The remainder of A/C's I had Emend and that worked great but I still had off and on queasiness the whole time.  I would take Ativan at night for that and it helped a lot.  For me there was no getting rid of the nausea (as mild as it might have been at times) but fortunately I never threw up.  I never took the Ativan before TX because they were already giving me anti-nausea meds and I didn't want to over-saturate my brain!  During Taxol, there was no nausea. 

• Believe1
    edited April 2009
    Options

Interesting, because like I said, my tx is tomorrow at 1:30 and I know I need to take something, because I am scared sh--less!

• connette
    connette Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2009
    Options

I am so grateful that I found these tips.  I posted on a different thread/topic about my concerns over chemo and what I needed to take, but I didn't get a response.  I'm always in the wrong place . . .computer challenged.  However, this is GREAT!  I've only read the Frist page, but I'm taking notes and will read all of them before I go to my first chemo on Wednesday.  I am really nervous about chemo but I'm trying to take one step at a time.  I am a kindergarten/1st grade teacher (retiring at the end of the year).  However, I'm worried about teaching and chemo (my little ones always are coughing and sneezing etc.)  I guess washing my hands all the time is the answer.  Any suggestions?  Thank you for being so wonderful.  Connette

• bluedasher
    edited April 2009
    Options

Believe, Ativan is for anxiety but it also works against nausea. Its action is different from that of Zophran and Compazine. The Zophran and Compazine weren't helping the nausea I was getting about a week after chemo. I was skeptical when told to try taking Ativan - after all, I wasn't at all anxious so what would that do for me. It worked like a charm. I could take a half pill for nausea during the day without it making me drowsy.

Connette, washing hands often should help. Be sure to have a good hand lotion around because all the hand washing can make them dry. Your oncologist can also give you Neupogen or Neulasta to keep your white cell counts up during chemo.

• connette
    connette Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2009
    Options

Thank you bluedasher.  I'll be sure and put good hand lotion everywhere.  I was wondering, when the ladies discuss their treatments and say A/C are they talking about Adriamycin/Cyclophosphamide or what?  That is what I will start on Wednesday.  My cycle is once a week for 2 weeks and then a week off.  (4 cycles).  Later radation, more chemo and herceptin (HER+).  I really am getting more nervous about my chemo.  I'm glad I have a plan but wish I understood more facts.  Thanks, Connette

• bluedasher
    edited April 2009
    Options

Connette, I left a reply for you on your "sisters" thread. I think you might want to talk to your onc about why they chose AC TH for you rather than TCH.

• cheryl63026
    cheryl63026 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Options

hello, is anyone there?

• HelenNC
    HelenNC Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2009
    Options

I don't know where to begin! First, thank you to all who contributed to this thread. As a new chemo patient, it is comforting to learn of so many things to help ease the symptoms. I am getting my port in on 4-24-09. Then my first chemo treatment on 4-28-09. So at least I now know what to purchase for my Chemo Bag & for my symptoms.

Thank you all!!!

• combsorme
    combsorme Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi. I'm new here, having had my first chemo 13 days ago. Thanks so much for all the great tips. I'm going to have my second round on May 1, and I will definitely use them.

I wanted to share something that has been so helpful for me ever since my dx in March. It's guided imagery. Guided Imagery is similar to hypnosis or deep relaxation, combined with a "story" that includes rich, healing images.

Research shows that guided imagery stimulates the immune system--something that can only help us as we go through this. In addition, I used it starting right after my dx to conquer anxiety and sleep well. (I've slept like a log through all this, despite not usually being a good sleeper.)

My favorites come from here (esp. the one on fatigue and the one for chemotherapy):

http://www.healthjourneys.com/product_detail.aspx?id=115

You can probably google to find more examples. I'll be happy to provide details to anyone who is interested. Let me know, too, if you'd like to discuss off-board.

Blessings on all of us!

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited May 2009
    Options

Bump for the May 2009 chemo starters.

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited May 2009
    Options

Bumping for Brenda.

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited May 2009
    Options

Bump

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi, Nico!

otter 

• Soccermom23
    Soccermom23 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2009
    Options

My mom will be starting chemo I believe the T/C combo after Memorial Day.  I will make sure I check this site often  because all she has to go on it what others tell her and things she has seen on TV.  She is prepared for the fatigue but I have told her some of the useful tips I found reading these postings.  She doesn't have internet access so I will check back for her often.

She had a mastectomy, 4.5 cm tumor, 5/11 nodes, clear margins, ER+, she is having the PET scan on Tues and I think that will calm her nerves more also..knowing that it hasn't gone anywhere else.

Thanks Mary

• Jean09
    Jean09 Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi All,

This is all new to me and I'm so thankful I found this website that can give so much hope, inspiration and advice while on this journey.  I was diagnosed in April and started chemo on May 5th.  I am receiving TC.  So far, side effects have been fatigue and bone/muscle aches and stomach cramps when I go to the bathroom.  I dont have a problem with constipation, just these darn cramps, is this normal?   Reading through some of the postings, I noticed alot of women work while going through this, my onc currently has me on disability until October, 2009.  Is anyone else out there on disability while going through this?  I would not be able to function work wise while going through this so hats off to those who are working!! 

• Nico1012
    edited May 2009
    Options

jeanohio47 ~ Sorry to hear about the se's. Have you tried eating yogurt to help restore the flora in the gut? Some of the sisters here also take vitamin B6 and B12 for the bone/muscle issues. One new thing I have used recently is a cream called Flexjoint (Walgreens) that contains glucosamine and does give pretty fair relief from the joint pain. Best to you on this journey and keep reminding yourself that you CAN do this!

Nico

Oh Rock, wherefore art thou, Rock??

• stingbw99
    stingbw99 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2009
    Options

I have to be honest, maybe I'm in denial, but I really haven't thought of chemo as much until reading all these helpful hints.  Now, I am terrified.  I had a Mastectomy with a tissue expander placed 1 month ago and a port implanted a week ago.  My chemo starts on Friday.  I do have someone driving me that day but I was told I should be able to drive myself to my treatments with out any problem.  Sounds like they lied.  How bad do you feel after the first chemo treatment?  How long is the first chemo treatment and why do you need a chemo bag? Yes, I am going to a chemo class tomorrow and will also ask all these questions but really want the truth.  Right now, I feel I am battling pain and fluid retention in the implanted breast and its healing.  I know my anxiety is getting the better of me, I can't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time and some times feel like I can't breathe.  Any suggestions if the docs won't give me anything?  One last question I have for anyone who is willing to answer.  How long before you can go back to work?  Again, I was told I would be able to work and go through my treatments at the same time.  Sorry another question, is it better to have your treatments on a Friday so you have the weekend to recupe or not?