Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• stingbw99
    stingbw99 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2009
    Options

One more thing, how long before you start losing your hair and how quickly?  Is it immediate or will I have time to get a wig or scarf or something?

• faithandprayers
    faithandprayers Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2009
    Options

Don't feel alone! I start Chemo on May 28th and also real scared of all the side effects.

The Dr is giving me Ambein to take at night, before I had that I didn't sleep at all.  I feel like I'm still getting over my surgery and hope I do have more strength by the time I start Chemo.  I also wonder the same question  "Is it better to have your treatments on a Friday so you have the weekend to recupe?" 

• LindaYO
    LindaYO Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2009
    Options

Stingbw99 & Faithand prayers,

I'm sorry you are feeling anxious about your chemo.  I've been on chemo since April 2008 and still going!!  Of course there are ups and downs, but many more ups than downs!  In my case, no need for anyone to drive me home.  Even when I had Benedryl with the Taxol, I slept some during infusion, but not tired by the time all was done.  You can live a very normal life on chemo in many cases.  Just believe that you are both going to be among those who have few se's or can manage them.  I feel so grateful that there are so many options to keep me kicking!!  I haven't had hair for more than  a year, so it's hard for me to remember how long it takes to lose it.  I think several weeks, at least.  You might want to consider trying out a new short hairstyle as a transition if you have longer hair.  Or when it starts to come out, have your head shaved.  You will be pleasantly surprised how beautiful you look without hair!  And if you want to "wear" hair, you just put it on.  Doesn't get any better than that!  

Good luck to both of you girls.  You CAN and WILL get through this.  There will be many thoughts and prayers on your behalf.  God Bless You!!

• Dawnmrn1
    Dawnmrn1 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2009
    Options

stingbw99&faithlandprayers!  Chemo is doable. I have had 4 cycles of TAC with 2 more to go!  I lost my hair 16 days after my first chemo, it came out in the shower by the handful, I had friends from work shave it and 2 of them shaved theirs in sympathy, we had a party.  My chemo is every three weeks and I don't work the second week because by WBC's a re low, I am a nurse and the onc does not want me exposed to anything! you will get thru this,keep a good attitude! Dawn

• joannpearsall
    joannpearsall Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2009
    Options

I hd A/C chemo also, it is cummulative, so probably not the answer you were looking for. The first chemo was a nauseau attack for 5 days and then I was good to go, just before the 2nd chemo my hair fell out, 2nd chemo was brutal with side effects that I could no even make up they were so bizzare. Had to have Neulasta injection, 3rd chemo with neulasta was so physically hard on me i actually prayed to die, 10 days I was unable to do much of anything other than lie still and count the minutes as they passed. My blood counts were so low for the 4th chemo and the side effects so crippling that the oncologist said that they had to stop the chemo, she said tht tests showed the chemo was damaging my body severely. So they then threw me into radiation for 6 weeks. I ended my radiation last year at this time. I feel like myself finally, and I have so much hair, I never thought it would end ....it does....hang in there 

• joannpearsall
    joannpearsall Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2009
    Options

Are you working a normal job through your chemo, is that why you asked if Friday is better for chemo. If you are you are super woman in my books. I could not have worked if my life depended on it.

• rsschen
    rsschen Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2009
    Options

Okay, I'm new here and diagnosed on April 8 with Stage 2A breast cancer.  Surgery is complete and I'm awaiting genetic testing results to tell me whether or not I should complete chemo.  Nervewracking is probably the mildest word I could use in my situation.

Have question though that apparently hasn't been asked/answered in a while.

What about Medical Marijuana?  Wouldn't it be completely appropriate in our situations?  Why aren't people taking advantage of this provision?  I plan to ask my Onc about it during my next appointment.

Thanks for any experience you can provide. 

• LindaYO
    LindaYO Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2009
    Options

Not an legal option in Wisconsin :(

• blondie45
    blondie45 Member Posts: 82
    edited May 2009
    Options

LindaYO is correct it is not an option in Wisconsin but I think it is in California. Not sure about any other states.

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited May 2009
    Options

Bumping for the June 2009 Chemo Sisters.

Nico 

• suzan_survivor
    suzan_survivor Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2009
    Options

I would like to echo the suggestion to tell your oncology nurse about any and all side effects.

I went a year without sleeping after diagnosis and during treatment. No one asked if there was an issue with sleep and so I never said there was. I suffered needlessly.

• mmk
    mmk Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2009
    Options

I have a question about your genetic testing.  What kind a Dr perscribed it for you?  What was the test?  I have stage IIa also and I really don't want to do chemo, but my surgeon thinks it should be automatic.  My appointment with the oncologist is next week.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited May 2009
    Options

MMK...My surgeon suggested that I have a genetic testing when I was first diagnosed. He set up an appointment with a genetics counselor. It took about 4 weeks for the results to come back. Sometimes insurance won't pay for it, but in my case they did because I have no prior family history of breast cancer in my family.

• Cris30
    Cris30 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2009
    Options

so much information thank you

• Nico1012
    edited June 2009
    Options

Bumping for our June 2009 sisters.

Nico

• kduling
    kduling Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Sting:

I'm new (today) on this board, so lord knows if I'll even find it again later when I want to!   lol....

Anyway.....I was diagnosed beginning of Feb., surgery end of Feb....Chemo started end of March and just ended 14 days ago.     It's NOT that bad.  At least for me.   My doctor gave me a neulasta shot the day after chemo.   I had my chemos on a thursday afternoon and I was tired that night but OK on Friday and even 1/2 of Saturday....then I was SUPER tired, and somewhat nauseous until Monday or Tuesday.   Sunday was ALWAYS my worst day.  I'd throw up like one time.    For me the worst side effects were:  sore tongue (chew ice during chemo)....no hair (duh), dry skin, some nausea, really tired (only on those days above for the most part), oh yeah....and the taste -- EVERYTHING tastes like crap.   Metal tasting.   It's awful!   Not much I can do about it.  I'm waiting to see how much longer until food tastes normal.   Sometimes I'd just smell it and know I couldn't eat it.   It was hard for me to "predict" what would taste ok and what wouldn't.   The best food for me was:  scrambled eggs, oatmeal, noodles (kind of plain).

Good luck!
    Hugs

Karen

• jayjessica123
    jayjessica123 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2009
    Options

hi all my name is jessica and my sister has just been diagnosed with breast cancer!!!! i was hoping to find a friend to help me understand what to expect. she is very depressed and i want to try and have some answers for her when she is ready to talk about it.

• jayjessica123
    edited June 2009
    Options

i don't think thats a bad idea. in order to keep your strength you need to eat!! and that should definetly help, or so i hear. lol

• jayjessica123
    edited June 2009
    Options

my sister is getting her catheter put in tomorrow, and she has two young girls is there anything that i should be telling them when they are near her? should she be around small children?

• RN_ocn
    RN_ocn Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2009
    Options

MAKE SURE TO CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT NSAIDS!!!!

I love the original post, this is what I found most important to say though. NSAIDS commonly cause ulcers. Ulcers can cause bleeding. Most breast cancer chemo regemins will naturally cause a decrease in your red blood cells, a bleeding ulcer would decrease your counts even more. This could cause a multitude of problems. The physicians I have worked for never used NSAIDS for that reason, tylenol was used instead. ALWAYS check with your chemo nurse or physician before taking any over the counter medications, INCLUDING vitamins.

Secondly, Treat your chemo nurse like your best friend.... tell her everything.... in most cases if there is something wrong she is the one that is going to find it.

• eliz46
    eliz46 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi i am very new here, i have been told i need to do 4 rounds of chemo ..21 days apart .can you give me alittle idea what im gonna feel like ...i do work and i know everyone is different ..how did you feel..eliz

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2009
    Options
    eliz46 you will find lots of help and support on these boards. I recommend you join a group where others are starting chemo at the same time. There seems to be a new one formed every month. The July group is still relatively new and will welcome you if you are interested.
  • Louise64
    Louise64 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2009
    Options

jessica - I had a PICC line (central catheter) for my chemo, best thing I ever had. I kept it covered with a crazy arm band of bight pink jersey material with a silly kitten patch on it, this way it was hidden and didn't "frighten" anyone off, especially young children.

• pammyj
    pammyj Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2009
    Options

eliz46..i too will be starting chemo probably next week. maybe we can do it together? reading the wisdom on these boards is so helpful!

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited July 2009
    Options

Wow - this is wonderful.  I will be starting chemo the first week of Aug 09 and plan on using the tips and ideas mentioned to pack my chemo bag and help prepare myself (the best that I can). I do have one question.  I will be doing DD AC/T for 8 cycles.  I am lactose intolerant and use a lot of soy based products and noticed that it may be something I should speak to my onc about?  What's up with soy and chemo? 

• patti5982
    patti5982 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2009
    Options

i dont know if i posted right the first time, i am looking for side effects on abraxene, i have 4 treatments coming up this Wed. July 22.

• Nico1012
    edited July 2009
    Options

Bump.

• DeniseM808
    DeniseM808 Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2009
    Options

rsschen - instead of off the street marajuana they can offer Drobinal (Marinol is the brand name). It is a Cannabinoid and can be administered through your IV for Nausea and Vomiting. IV cannabinoid safer than street acquired drugs as many procesors lace their stuff with other illicit drugs such as meth, lsd, cocaine, etc.

• Burkiworks
    Burkiworks Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2009
    Options
    melissaga, Thank you for compiling the list of tips and helps. I am creating a folder on my computer so I can find adice and tips when I have questions. I think everybody should make a folder to collect sheets of advice. I am going to hunt for more help.
  • janet11
    janet11 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2009
    Options

Re Ambien CR:  The original Ambien works just fine, and it's available generic now.  It's on the $4 list at Walmart and many other stores.  My onc prescribed the 10mg dosage so I could cut them in half (5mg works pretty well for me when I need them) and they last twice as long (*smile*).

I went to the generic when the drug company first brought out Ambien CR... "coincidentally" right when Ambien could go generic.  And I haven't heard that the benefits of the "CR" are worth the cost. I find the original works just fine. 

I did the same when I was prescribed Coreg-CR for my heart problems.  It was simply a timed-release version of Coreg (which was now out of copyright/whatever and available as a generic).  The CR version was $38/month (with my prescription insurance).  The non-CR version is now $4/month or $10 for 3 months as a generic -- no insurance needed.  

It's worth talking to a pharmacist about some of these -- that's how I learned about the Coreg. My onc was smart about the Ambien too.