Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• SKD
    SKD Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2010
    Options

awesome article!

• Resting
    Resting Member Posts: 117
    edited June 2010
    Options

Another alternative for head wear this summer:

I recently bought a High UV Protection Buff. It protects your head from the sun's ultraviolet rays by 95%. It also cools you off in the summer heat by pulling moisture from your skin (head) into the outer layer of the fabric. You can youtube it and see how to wear them. Great for lake, pool or working outside. Lots of colors and patterns.

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited June 2010
    Options

Great tips!

• Nico1012
    edited June 2010
    Options

Most imprtant of all . . . . . .  FLUIDS, FLUIDS, FLUIDS.

Did I mention FLUIDS?

• Nico1012
    edited June 2010
    Options

And MORE fluids!

• Nico1012
    edited June 2010
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited June 2010
    Options

Bumping!

• Nico1012
    edited July 2010
    Options

Bumping for the July chemo sisters.

• Nico1012
    edited July 2010
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited July 2010
    Options

Bump again

• catwood
    catwood Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    Options

Ladies-I am crying as I am typing this-I am to weeks out from my surgery and doing fine, I think. I have know from the start that I was seriously being considered for chemo and now it is a fact. I am terrified and cry at the mere thought of going through the treatments. Of what? Not sure. Nausea-Yes HATE IT! Of being tired? Not really. of looking sick? YES/ Of hair loss? YES! Looking into cold caps to avoid that and wondering if I am hampering a process that is supposed to happen. I have worked in natural medicine my whole life and trying very hard to think of chemo as my friend but I burst into tears spontaneously.  I don;t know that I can do this-That is the first time I have actually ever felt this way-ever! I need your wonderful words of encouragement!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2010
    Options

(((((((((((((Catwood)))))))))))))) So sorry, you have to go thru this. But you have made it this far, and you will make it thru this also.  Read all them tips, and join one of the threads for whatever chemo regimine they put you on.  They can let you know exactly what effects you may have.  I did lose my hair, but everyone says I look 10 years younger in my wig, so trying to look at it as a positive! lol  We are all here when and if you need us!

• Nico1012
    edited July 2010
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited July 2010
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited August 2010
    Options

Bumping for the August chemo starters

• melodiemp
    melodiemp Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Options

hello, i have a score of 17 from the ONCOTYPE test, so i think i am going for the TC chemo - my Dr. tells me the score is low and that she is not 'strongly recommending' the chemo, however i want to know i am doing as much as possible to prevent this from reoccurring.  I am only 42 and have 2 children.  most people in my family are agreeing with this preventative decision.

Any words of advice and experiences with the TC.  Thank you!! 

• Nico1012
    edited August 2010
    Options

melodiemp ~ Welcome to the club no one wants to join. You will find support and friendship here from those who have been there and those who are just starting the journey. Check back often, Those with experience in TC will be along to offer their help.

Best of luck to you in your treatment!

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited August 2010
    Options

Bump!

• MStrance
    MStrance Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Options

I am on the 4th cycle of 4 of the AC portion of my cocktail and have 12 cycles of the T portion to go.  Like you melodymp, I am 42 years old with 2 kids and I agree with you, not only for yourself but for your kids as well, you need to set an example that you are doingg  everything you can do to beat this and that cancer is not going to beat you.  I have  had a realitively mild experience with all the different side effects that are expected and I don't know if it has anything to do with luck or with the things I have done.  First and foremost, I have treated the whole nausea thing like I did when when I was pregnant.  I never let my stomache get to empty or to full.  I eat something at least every two hours, it might just be a couple slices of apple or three grapes.  I just get something into my stomache.  The other thing I did was eat what appealed to me at the time I felt like eating.  After my first chemo treatment I went out and had hot wings because the is what appealed to me.  The thought of having poached chicken actually turned my stomache.  Since I am 42, I am now going through menopause and with the expected hot flashes and the weather we are having, I can't get cold enough.  So I keep a cup of ice chips with me always.  This helps with the dry mouth and keeps me hyrdated as well. I did get constipated for a couple of days after and then had diarreah for a couple of days after and so far have managed those symptons with diet.  I did lose my hair and used this as an opportunity to step outside my comfort zone.  I got a wig in a totally different style that what I had before (long hair vs short hair) and will never go back to long hair again, I don't know why I resisited changing my style before this. Best advise I can give is keep a positive attitude and when you need to cry, do it!!  Just remembered,  ditch the ice chips at least an hour before bed and drink only room temperature liquids.  Don't know why, but this helps with night time heartburn.

• Nico1012
    edited August 2010
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited August 2010
    Options

Bumping in honor of melissaga who started "chemo tips" and thereby made the journey so much easier.

• Nico1012
    edited August 2010
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited August 2010
    Options

For the awesome chemo gals of Aug '10

• Nico1012
    edited September 2010
    Options

For the Sept chemo starters . . . . . . BUMP!

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited September 2010
    Options

Thanks to everyone for all the tips. I just found out today my onco score was 31 so I will be getting 4 sessions of TC. Thanks to you all I will be armed with lots of things to manage the side effects. I am pretty scared as well but it's 3 months and then its done and I can get my reconstruction done. I may get pretty depressed but I can't give in to it. I am trying to stay strong.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited September 2010
    Options

bump

• Nico1012
    edited September 2010
    Options

Bump again!

• Nico1012