Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited May 2011
    Options

Benadryl is great for sleep too and may help with any runny nose that mly happen. My doc said yes to this.

• ginger_mea
    ginger_mea Member Posts: 135
    edited May 2011
    Options

I bought the CVS brand says it has the same ingredient as Claritin, will that work as well.  I am day 5 since the neulesta shot, having on and off pains in bones all about, like something pecking me in different areas, it is just annoying it was worse yesterday but that was my first day off steroids, thinking should I take the Claritin today or what? being first time, don't really know what is from what?  I have had a lot of info from a sweet sister on here, but just thought I would put out for feed back and to get a little active here. Cool

first Chemo was 4/28 and neulesta 4/29

• Merilee
    edited May 2011
    Options

The clairiton can't hurt you. I vote take it and note if you feel any relief

Hugs, Day 5 was the worst so you are almost over the hump.

• katfinn
    katfinn Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks Carrol2.  I read about Thrush but was hoping I didn't have it.  That makes sense.  I'll call my onc. tomorrow.  I'm getting a canka sore in my mouth now too.  Ugh!  And then there's my back.  Smile  I know it could be worse.  I'll be OK.

OK, I'm to try to sleep.  I can't believe how well I functioned today considering I only got 2 1/2 hours of sleep.  I need to get this under control.

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump

• luckygmrabbi
    luckygmrabbi Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hello Katfinn.  I am new to the website and saw your post.  I had my first TCH on 4/15/2011.  My hair is almost totally gone already.  The emotional roller coaster I have been on is unbelievable.  This website has certainly been a God-send for me.  My next TCH is on Friday May 6th.  I want to know if these chemo treatments have a cumulative effect or if they have the same SEs time after time and you just need to get through each one of them?

• luckygmrabbi
    luckygmrabbi Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    Options

My onc. prescribed 0.5mg of Ativan that has helped me sleep a lot.  I take 2 of them before I go to bed and don't have any problems sleeping.  I cannot take Aleve as it bothers my stomach something fierce.  Is there something else that would work.  I didn't really experience a lot of aching following the neulasta shot but got very dehydrated on day 7 following my first TCH.  I get the neulasta shot right away following the chemo.  Does anyone else get it that soon?  Ativan has also helped with the anxiety that I was feeling after my first treatment.

• dillymonster
    dillymonster Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    Options

I had my 1st TAC chemo today. It was fine, towards the end of the transfusion I developed sinus pressure and headache. They slowed the med down and gave me extra strength Tylenol. Afetr we left I felt fullnes in my breasts especially my mast/lumpectomy breast. I took a little nap when I got home then had a sandwich and continued the race to drinking 3 qts of liquid for the day. I really thought I was a water drinker, but with "off feeling" I am finding it hard to have food or too much liquid in my stomach. This evening I did take Zantaz, Ativan and tabs of steroid. They did give me Phenergan too to take for nausea if I need it this evening. Am going to feel like this or will itt get better. Because this I can control, I am scared because they said you get worse on the 3rd day. Please advise me.

• Merilee
    edited May 2011
    Options

Have lots of things like malox  and strong pain meds readly in case you need them above the zofran and comazine. Drink as much water as you can. Flavored waters can help. Just Chug a-lug them even if they don't taste good, you will be glad you did. The other thing may be a strong gas med such as Phazime. I also use prilosec as a protection but if you are on tagamet be sure to space those two out,

• ginger_mea
    edited May 2011
    Options

anyone experience blood in the toilet when having a b.m.?

• dillymonster
    edited May 2011
    Options

I have a question and I am hoping for a quick response please. I had my first tac chemo yesterday and following therpy I noticed a feeling of engorgement in my breast with the mast. Later noticed also rednedd and hot to touch. I woke up this moring and it is still that way, please advise.

• Merilee
    edited May 2011
    Options

Ginger and Dilly call your doctor right away.

• Letlet
    Letlet Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2011
    Options

Ginger, i did. It started happpening midway into chemo. My onc told me that it was due to chemo. Mind u it was bright red not black so it was happening on the way out. I endured this for weeks and it stopped 2 weeks after my last chemo. I think chemo thins the lining of pretty much everything

• dillymonster
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks for the advise Merilee. I went in today for my Neulasta shot and had a NP look at it. She said I have a breast infection and put me on antibiotics. She also drew around the redness and said to call if it expands beyond that area. Great, how am I supposed to fight an infection after chemo and my WBC are depleating??/

• Cyborg
    Cyborg Member Posts: 192
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump

• grouch2
    grouch2 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Ginger- are you having any problems with mouth, throat etc sores? After my first treatment, I had sores from my mouth to my a$$. This caused the blood when I had a BM.

Definitely call your contact at your doctor's office. This is a symptom that should never be ignored. However, it can be related to your chemo. Don't worry too much about it, but your doc will probably want to check it out.

Grouch 

• ginger_mea
    edited May 2011
    Options

Yes, I did and I went in and my blood was excellent, its a hemorrhoid, never had before but never had any of this before!  Good news on my blood though so I was thankful for that.

My tounge is VERY sensitive, no sores yet, gums line too..  I've been rinsing with the water, salt, baking soda thing a few times a day and I think it helps, not to say I won't have them in another week?? if so I will be calling the dr.

my finger tips are soooooo sensitive too!  I can't hardly text Surprised all these little things its just crazy..  hugs to all

• Nico1012
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump

• Merilee
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oh, fingertips. I had the same issue 2 days after my first TC and I use a hot wax machine and dip my hands several times a day. It seems to have helped. I also bought some Jergens hand soap in a pump that has a moisturiser in it because I am washing my hands so often.

Then for a sanitizer Gold bond has a nice one with a moisturizer in it as well.

Hugs, I know this is not fun. But there is a lot of support here.

• Nico1012
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump

• Cyborg
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump for mcrimmon324

• Nico1012
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bumping in honor of Cyborg. THANKS for helping a sistah out!

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bumping

• ditsyquoin
    ditsyquoin Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Options

Two things that made me happy today;

1) Painting my falling apart nails with "hard as nails" which was on sale at Rite-Aid for $1.99.

2) Eating two cheesy-roll ups at Taco Bell. I promised to take my godson there as a reward for good grades but my tongue is so sore I didn't think I could eat. It was wonderful to find melted cheese on a soft tortilla for .89 and they were creamy and soothing.

• Merilee
    edited May 2011
    Options

Yea for happy moments, count those blessings!

• Nico1012
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump

• Cyborg
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump for txladysara

• Nico1012
    edited May 2011
    Options

FLUIDS, FLUIDS, FLUIDS!  :)

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze Member Posts: 250
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hey ladies,

I'd like to add to this list - I found a product that is supposed to help cancer patients with that metallic taste during chemo.  It's called Aqua Delight  www.delightwater.com.  I have no idea if it helps with metallitic taste or not since I'm a year post-chemo and can't try it for myself.  But as we all know, the #1 most important thing we can do to help us with chemo is drink lots of water. There are no chemicals in the plastic bottles either.  Looks like they have free shipping too.  

Hope this helps somebody. 

• Merilee
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks coolbreeze, I will check it out.