Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bumping along!

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited May 2011
    Options

If you are new here please slo check out April Chemo, there are lots of ladies that are in progress and can help you get an idea of what it is like and how to pre- arm yourself with some things to make this as easy as it can be.

Another place to look is the Taxatere Cytoxin thread. Sweet ladies there all helping one another.

Hugs to you.

• Testimony
    Testimony Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Options

I drank this water when I was preggo because the taste of normal water made me want to throw up. I was on Zofran/Ondansetron at the time and needed to drink lots of fluids. :o  I was able to drink this water a whole bottle at a time with no problem.  It was wonderful.  I just looked and they are offering free shipping right now.  Not sure how long that will last, though.  www.delightwater.com

• Nico1012
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bumping for the June '11 chemo gals.

• mccrimmon324
    mccrimmon324 Member Posts: 794
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hey everyone, I have a question.  I will be getting Neulesta shots the day after my chemo.  The original posts says to take Aleve for the bone pain, but I have also heard that Claritin works too.  Does anyone know which would work the best?

Thanks.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited May 2011
    Options
    mccrimmon324 my doctor did not know if this worked but i took the claritin as we both decided could not hurt. Could be a coincidence but i did not get any SEs from the shot.
  • Merilee
    edited May 2011
    Options

I use clairiton and Naproxen 500mg- works for me.

• Nico1012
    edited May 2011
    Options

Le Bump!

• Plils
    Plils Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thank you so much for posting this information, for me the more I can read up on the better it is and helps get us through this.

Thanks again.

Pam 

• FloreneB
    FloreneB Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks, this was very helpful!  It's so good to know that I'm not alone.  This is a difficult journey, but with a little (whole lot) help, we'll get thru! 

• Nico1012
    edited June 2011
    Options

Best of luck to you in your treatment, Florene!

• mccrimmon324
    mccrimmon324 Member Posts: 794
    edited June 2011
    Options

Bump for gigix4

• dillymonster
    dillymonster Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    Options

After my first chemo followed by nulasta the second day, I had a lot of bone pain. The second chemo they recommended I start Zyrtec the day of chemo twice a day for one week. My second chemo was last week and I did start the Zyrtec the day of chemo, and it made a big differance this time around. I hope that helps :)

• Nico1012
    edited June 2011
    Options

Bumping for the June '11 chemo starters.

• Natalie_W
    Natalie_W Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hello everyone!

I need your feedback and opinions. My name is Natalie and I am a registered dietitian who specializes in breast cancer nutrition. I am in the process of creating a guide to help those going through treatment maintain optimal nutritional status. The guide will have a natural food and whole food approach. I need feedback from people who have gone through breast cancer treatment. I have compiled some questions in a survey. Please follow the link to complete the quick survey below (only 10 questions). I really appreciate your opinions. Thank you for your help :)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VKQRFMY

• Nico1012
    edited June 2011
    Options

Bump

• oldtimer35
    oldtimer35 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2011
    Options

Well, don't know what happened to my post, so I will start again.  It has been about a month since my last post and I hate to come back and bother you nice ladies, but I have a question.  My daughter is now on Texatere? every week and she says she feels like she is in labor after her chemo.  It usually starts about 5 hours after the chemo and lasts for 4 days.  Her doctor told her to see her family doc about this, and he prescribed hydrocodone.  But that just puts her into twilight zone and she isn't able to do anything.  Anyone hear of such a side effect and what can be done about it.  Thanks for listening.

• Merilee
    edited June 2011
    Options

Labor!  Well I can relate. Never been so bloated in my life. Phazyme and prilosec have helped me. Both are over the counter. I stay on them for a week.

• oldtimer35
    edited June 2011
    Options

Thanks Merilee for the input.  I will talk to my daughter about this and see what she says.

• Nico1012
    edited June 2011
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited June 2011
    Options

This is the original thread, melinda. Very helpful along with rock's "More tips".

• oldtimer35
    edited June 2011
    Options

Here's another question, just talked to my daughter this morning and she was telling me that she now has a rash that started on her hands and seems to have spread to other parts of her body. Some places they are like blisters, others are just raised bumps.  She is on Taxotere and no other chemo drug, but the normal steroids, benedryl and the like.  Anyone seen this before, or is this due to something else?

• kathylyon
    kathylyon Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi - can you tell my what the measurements are for the  Maalox and liquid Bendryl?  Will this take the sores away?  I have a white spot righton the tip of my tongue ( bad position!) and other white spots on the back of my tongue.  thanks

• rejoice
    rejoice Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Options

As soon as my incision for the port heals I will be starting 4 cycles of AC (every 2 weeks) and then Taxol - 4 cycles.  Can anyone tell me what I may expect?  I know that each person is different, but the unknown is terrifying.

• Nico1012
    edited June 2011
    Options

rejoice ~ There is a sequel to this thread authored by the rockstar of these boards called "More TIps and a Shopping list for getting through chemo" I will "bump" it to the top so you can read that as well. I believe several sistahs have posted re: AC/Taxol. Also there is a newly formed thread for June 2011 dhemo starters that will put you in touch with other sistahs starting their bc journey, check it out, it is sure to be full of valuable advice.

Nico 1012

• Merilee
    edited June 2011
    Options

About mouth sores. I use Biotene, it seems to work. Others have said that carbonated water has helped, and yet other have mixed baking soda and water and used that as a rinse. Hope that helps.

• SugarBubbie
    SugarBubbie Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Options

For dry skin, try washing with natural glycerine soap.  I have had anal cancer and my rad doc told me then to use it.  So I've been doing it now with the breast cancer and it really seems to help.  Glycerine keeps the moisture in your skin.

• Still_Beautiful
    Still_Beautiful Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    Options

Surrounding yourself with people who love and support you. Don't try to do this alone you WILL need help and encouraging words.