Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    edited February 2011
    Options

Nico,

You rock too for keeping this active,

• JeanH
    edited February 2011
    Options

bump for feb girls

jean

• JeanH
    edited February 2011
    Options

bump again

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited February 2011
    Options

JeanH ~ You're simply the BEST!

• char123
    char123 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello Ladies:  I have read this post and I wanted to share my tip for getting through chemo.  It was exactly one year ago that I started 4 DD AC and then did 4 DD Taxol.  I am from PA and I went to Ft Lauderdale, yep vacation.  It does not matter where you go, even if its 10 minutes up the road, take a vacation from your chemo. Did I look good, hec no, did I feel the best hec no, but I felt well enough.  I put all those drug store items that everyone shared with me. (some very good I may add) away and went away.  It was the best thing I ever did and it helped me mentally..So much so that I am going to say it again.  Maybe, if you can go and take a little vacation from your chemo...It will do your head wonders.  When we walked into the Dr's office and asked, can I go away, they said SURE!!  Live....Thats what we are fighting for here.. to live...so ....thats my suggestion for "Getting through Chemotherapy"

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited February 2011
    Options

I was told no yogurt or milk for thrush. something aobut the cultures not being good. I also thought i still had it after my chemo was over but it turns out my tongue just looked white from the nystatin and cleared up when i stopped the medicine.

• MC1957
    MC1957 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Options

Just a couple tips:

1.  Submerge 1/2 of your toothbrush in Isopropyl Alcohol.  Store it that way and no germs will get in your mouth from it.  Rinse the IPA off before using. 

2.  I read that Coconut Oil eliminates Thrush.  I tried it and it cleared up my tongue in one day.  It's readily available at Vitamin Stores, and only about $10 for a huge jar.

• Carola32
    Carola32 Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello everyone!

I'm new (to the forum as to breastcancer) and would first of all like to thank you. I was sitting on my couch (surprisingly) sulking last night, annoyed with the horrible mustardy taste in my mouth, throat and sinuses..After a day in the city, visiting my very understanding chiropractor, I was so exhausted I couldn't even tell me husband what I wanted to eat (just an avocado with some black olives please!). He got restless, I got frustrated...But then I remembered; YOU. I could have a closer look on side effects. After a certain time of reading and some serious giggling, I didn't feel alone anymore. Only a very serious thought occupied my mind: I can do this. Even with this taste in my mouth that makes me want to vomit. Women before me have, and so will I, as will women who get diagnosed at some point in their lives. This is a great feeling. (Of course it didn't really last long but hey, tomorrow is another day, right?) So, I jumped in my bathtub (not too hot of course) and starting thinking about if I had any tips & tricks to share.

I like to add that I live in France (am originally from Sweden, Scandinavia) and the treatments here are slightly different from the American (not implying Europeans are better). I'm getting 4xFEC100 4xTaxotere and then surgery, depending on my response to the treatment. They will inject a radioactive substance when I'm on the table to check if my lymphnodes are cancerous, if they are not, my armpit will be left alone!  Afterwards I'll probably need radiotherapy, with a 5 year hormone treatment with Tamoxifene...

Anyways, here goes: I've found that lemon is great! Lemondrops, essential oil to sniff when you're queezy, lemon in your water, lemon in hot water to 'clean up' your liver (preferably in the morning he first thing you do). Lemon is great to boost your imune system, but also to make you drink! I drink tons of water normally, but since I started chemo the 24th of January it's become mission semi-impossible. If you have rough elbows, you can use the halfs of already squeezed lemons and put your elbows 'inside' for ten minutes. Works wonders! 

I also use a teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in warm water to fight indigestion and acid reflux. If your face has a bad skin day, you pour some in your washing water and cleanse your face. Excellent for mouthwash as it fights thrush and burning sensations in throat and mouth. I have noticed that a lot of medication contains baking soda, already used by my great grandmother :-) I don't believe it cures cancer, as some doctor apparently does: http://www.curenaturalicancro.com/

To strenghten nails and limit decoloration and such, nailpolish with silicium (without paraben and all the other horrible stuff) is recommended by French oncs, I'm not on Taxotere yet but they told me to start now so as to be in topshape before treatment. Toenails included. 

To ease up your bowl movements, I find sesame oil is great. Olive oil does the trick too, but I'm a fan of Asian style cuisine, and sesame oil really makes me enjoy my salads.I don't knowwhat they say in the U.S and Canada, but here there's a discussion going on about hormone related cancer and sesame seeds, tofu and soyproducts. There are so much info that it makes my head swirl. Does anyone know more about this? Otherwise dried prunes also does the trick for me! 

One thing that really helps, that I was very sceptical to in the beginning, was simply asking for help. If you're someone who does everything yourself, it's harder than you think. Just the idea of putting energy in vacuuming gets me down. I almost got tears in my eyes when my husband's daughter of 16 decided she would do all the 'rough stuff'.

I have to go see my shrink, but I'll surely be back with more tips. 

• gracefarm
    gracefarm Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks for the great information here! I have inflammatory breast cancer that quickly came roaring back, and start new chemo tomorrow, Taxotere and Xeloda. Am taking an ice pack for my nails to chemo tomorrow (thanks for that suggestion!), but does anyone who's gone through this particular T&X regime has suggestions for dealing with side effects. Thanks much, and blessings to all!

Kim in Ohio

• Carrol2
    edited February 2011
    Options

Best suggestion is when you get a SE call your onc center and speak to a nurse or the doctor and get relief and make sure it's nothing serious. Do not be afraid to call them they are expecting it, everyone has side effects. Do not suffer with anything no matter how minor it seems if you can get relief.

also after the chemo is over many people still have some lingering side effects. Be careful with yourself.

• EricaH
    EricaH Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2011
    Options

I've had 1 (of 4) treatments of Taxitere and the bases of my fingernail are already darkening.  I had heard wearing ice mitts would prevent this (and worse) from happening to finger and toenails so ran it by one of the chemo nurses this morning.  She said the ice mitts don't usually help, but did recommend tea tree oil.  I don't have any idea how effective it may be, but I am going to try it and thought I would pass this tidbit along to others on Taxotere!

• coni
    coni Member Posts: 181
    edited February 2011
    Options

Ericah I had darken nails before taxotere but I still use the mitts and booties, at least they don't hurt, My doc told me they become very soft, so that's why I need to ice them..When donu finish ur taxotere? I'll be done april1st I cannot wait.

• EricaH
    EricaH Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2011
    Options

I have had one treatment of four.  I will be finished mid-April - then 5 weeks of radiation. 

Do you just put ice on your fingers and toes while you are having the actual infusion? 

• coni
    edited February 2011
    Options

Yes while getting the infusion I try to keep them as much as I can, also chew ice cubes mAde a bit of difference with mouth sores...

• JeanH
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Stop by the threads on going through chemo Jan 2011 and feb 2011 and you can share stories with others going throught the process now.  we compare notes on SE and just ssupport each other throgut the treatments.

Jean

Hey Nico through another round!

• JeanH
    edited February 2011
    Options

bump

• Carola32
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hey Erica!

The icemitts are mandatory at my clinic. The reason you wear them is to prevent toxicity to go all the way to finger and toe nails (same thing for the ice cap and your hair). What a shame if you could prevent black and falling nails (just imagine walking...) with icemitts but didn't wear them! Tea tree oil is usually used for fungal infections, it is a very powerful oil but I don't see how it could prevent toxicity from altering your nails. Another tip if you're interested in essential oils is to make an appointment with an homeopath who can guide you and make sure you use them the right way (grapefruit is not compatible with chemo for example). I also use pure vitamine E to soften, protect and hydrate skin, it is amazing! I have a shampoo that prevents itching from when your hair gets thinner, a mouth spray that calms and soothes, a dry bodyspray for skin and oil for my cuticles. I have never had better nails, as soft skin and as flawless feet as I have today!  It's all about prevention.

Bon courage!!

• coni
    edited February 2011
    Options

Carola what kind of spray do u use for mouth, I think mine gets very dry or I get some sores, its also the acid that is driving nuts.

The thing I'm using my skin is coconut oil my skin is so soft, and nit dry at all. I'll also give vitamin e a try.

• Carola32
    edited February 2011
    Options

The mouth spray is called Vea Oris. The whole range of products is called VEA (like Vea spray, Vea shampoo and so on). The spray contains hydrogenated polydecene and tocopheryl acetate (vitamine E) and the oil for skin and cuticles contains only the latter. It's French, but I know that a brand called Dermae exists in Canada. Their website is www.dermae.net

Apparently vitamine E is the only oil that really penetrates your skin, other creams and oils may just hydrate the upper layers of it. I guess the main issue is to use hydrating products without paraben and too unnatural ingredients and that it makes you feel good! The simpler the better they told me at the clinic. Mmm...just the thought of coconut oil makes me dream of holidays on the beach! 

It's great that ice in your mouth is helping you. I've been quite lucky with mine so far, hopefully I'll manage not to get any sores..The palate can get quite swollen at times, but thymol mouthwash, vitamine E, icecubes and common sense (good hygiene but not too exaggerated, not too spicy or too hot food and drinks) really seem to help. What kind of acid is driving you nuts? I had this horrible taste and feeling of fire in mouth, throat and nose for about ten days after my last chemo (I'm on FEC100 right now). I guess the acid reflux didn't help at all! 

• coni
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks I'll check it out, the acid reflex is driving me nuts, taking so much for it but nothing I guess is just the chemo, my throat feels like is on fire sometimes, and sometimes I get sores going down my throat which really sucks

• Carola32
    edited February 2011
    Options

Yes the burning sensation was what really got me down last time, luckily it passed. I was so upset 'cause I thought it would stay! I drink a lot of thyme drinks (hot water with dried thyme) and try to eat as much green salad as I can, avocados seem to soothe aswell. I guess it's not an exact science. Right after chemo I get stomachpains for like a week, ten days, and I guess the two go hand in hand. Haven't yet tried real medication for acid reflux, thought I'd go natural as we already stuff ourselves with meds. Of course smoking (even just a little bit) makes it worse.

Jeez, hardcore with sores down your throat, I'm so sorry. But remember, this too shall pass.

• Silia
    Silia Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2011
    Options

Coni asked the same question I was going to ask.  Thanks, Carola30.  I have taken notes and will be shopping this week since my chemo starts on Mar 4.  I love the idea of prevention and not using meds where something natural will do the trick.  Thanks all for sharing!

• Carola32
    edited February 2011
    Options
    My pleasure Smile
  • lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited February 2011
    Options

Be sure tell your onc or NP about all  your side effects. You many think they are nothing but that's not your call. They can't help you if they don't know. It doesn't mean you need to call them up every time something happens (call if serious) but be sure to bring in a list when you have your appointments.

Also keep a calendar of when this stuff happens so you'll know to start medicating before they happen at the next treatment.

• Glenda58
    Glenda58 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Options

Coni- I just got prescribed something called  Ann Arbor Mouthrinse and it has been working great. It is a prescription and the pharmacist has to mix it up. Not bad tasting, either. Hope this helps for all  who get mouth sores. Hugs and prayers-Glenda

• coni
    edited March 2011
    Options

hi Glenda where are you? im in Canada i will have to ask if they have it here, cause im so tired of having mouth issues....

Thanks Carola i will try that! good info!

• Carola32
    edited March 2011
    Options

Heya!

Yesterday I had chemo n° 3, before the IV I met a doctor who asked me about recent side effects. When I told her about the burning sensation she was horrified and immediately prescribed something called Omeprazole 20 milligrams. My burns came after a couple of days last time, so yesterday I didn't go to the pharmacy right away, which I regretted later when feeling the flames again. When I told my husband, he immediately put his shoes on and drove a long way to the nearest open pharmacy at eleven o'clock at night. I love that man. Anways, no trace of fire whatsoever! Maybe you could ask your onc about it, Coni? I also asked her if I could take painkillers called Ixprim (tramadol & paracetamol) for the headaches (normally I'm supposed to use Ixprim when I'm on Taxotere for the bonepains) and she said without a doubt YES. It has really helped my sinusproblems and migraines. A lot of medication talk, sorry.. It is amazing though, I went to see an acupuncture guy last week, he told me it's really important to have a cleansed liver before treatment (Why do one feel like ass the day after too many drinks? Because the liver tries to eliminate the toxines. Apparently it's quite the same with nausea inducing chemo). So he 'needled' my feet and toes and also gave me Nux Vomica (three day cure) to get my liver in better shape. Normally I'm so nauseated I can't stand up with FEC, so I was quite amazed this morning, waking up after a really good nights sleep, finding I was doing fine!! 

I have one question though, a lot of women on the forum say they don't 'look the same' after chemo. Howcome? What is 'moonface'?  Getting nervous thinking about losing my looks more than temporarily (a word that has become a true allie).

Bon courage everyone. 

• yh2665
    yh2665 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Options

I have two cycles chemo treatment for my breast cancer: First cycle has 12 weekly treatment of Taxol, second cycle has 4 treatments of FAC.  The dr. has to cancel my Taxol after the 8th and switched me to FAC last week because of the swelling/tingling/numbness on my feet/hands/nails (started at my 7th treatment). She said the nerves in those areas are damaged.  I've been out of Taxol for 2 weeks but the discomfort remains the same.

I would like to know if anyone experienced the same and how long does it take before my hands/feet can feel normal again.  Your input is greatly appreciated. 

• Carrol2
    edited March 2011
    Options

I got tingles in my hands about a month after my last TC tx and now 13 weeks later it seems to be subsiding.

• coni
    edited March 2011
    Options

CArola sorry i havent been writting well moon face is your face gets round (swollen) because of steroids mind you mine hasent yet, i hope it dosent tomorrow is number 3 for me yay and then one more that all...

Taxotere does give you lots of bone pains but my doc decreased my chemo 10% and also the neaulasta which also gives pain second chemo was not bad im not taking any pain killers except maybe one tylenol and thats it....

now my stomach is another story, im taking pantaloc 40mg, maalox or gaviscon, sulcrate, zantac, antiviral meds, fluconazole and nothing works, my tongue feels weird, my throat hurts...even right now i havent even started chemo yet

did your onc say you can take the thing for cleaning your liver? do you know what else cleans the liver? i tried acupunture for like a week but it was just so painful that i stopped....

I was going to drink lemon and water but with the stomach being so sensitive i cant...maybe ill go to a natural store and see what they recommend cause my liver must be sooo toxicated is not funny