Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited July 2011
    Options

THANKS badger!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2011
    Options

:-)  bump

• nicholewilliams
    nicholewilliams Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2011
    Options

For Mouth sores, Use Evomucy mouth Spray along with biotine, it seems to work for my aunt very well. She use it twice a day...!

• Nico1012
    edited July 2011
    Options

Bumping for the August 2011 chemo starters.

• badger
    edited July 2011
    Options

bumping to keep this thread in active topics.

• badger
    edited July 2011
    Options

bump for Eileen  :-)

• 46MD
    46MD Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Options

Great tips on here! Thanks

• Chrys23
    Chrys23 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2011
    Options

Bump for the August 2011 ladies!

• Nico1012
    edited August 2011
    Options

GOOD JOB, Chrys23, these are such valuable threads for the newbies.

• paula1231
    paula1231 Member Posts: 41
    edited August 2011
    Options

Bumping

• nicholewilliams
    edited August 2011
    Options

Bump ..........!

• nicholewilliams
    edited August 2011
    Options

Keep yourself well hydrated & try avoiding hot water and rubbing your hands dry..!
    Wash your clothes with mild detergents or specially designed for babies as they are free of perfumes, scents....!
    After having bath, dont rub your body with a towel, let your body gets dry naturally.
    Try Avoiding extreme weather conditions like extreme cold or hot or windy....!!

Best

Nicole.

• Chrys23
    Chrys23 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2011
    Options

Nicole -- those are suggestions that I never heard of; thanks for the new info! Do you know why you should avoid hot water and rubbing your hands??

• badger
    edited August 2011
    Options

bump

• badger
    edited August 2011
    Options

bump

• sara1970
    sara1970 Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2011
    Options

I start next week with dose-dense CMF... I will certainly be going through all these pages for help. Thanks to all who contributed their experiences, tips, and tricks to make it easier for others.

• nicholewilliams
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hey Chrys23.

As rubbing your hands might damage your skin tissues. So dry your hands only with a soft paper towel to throw it away after the use as infections can live on a wet cloth towel.

Using hot water can make your skin dry, damage the tissues and can cause additional damage to the skin. So, wet your hands only with the warm water. Try keeping your skin and hand moist most of the time, use only organic moisturisers without any chemicals / alcohol, try Evoskin moisturising cream.
    Even during the sleep time, place a pillow b.w. your knees to prevent your legs from rubbing together...

Best

Nichole.

• badger
    edited August 2011
    Options

bump

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2011
    Options

Bumping

• khertenst
    khertenst Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    Options

Zofran did not work for my nausea, so my oncologist put me on gabapentin, which is an anti-convulsive that has been found to work for chemo nausea, and it has worked for me like a charm. My main problems are profound fatigue and diarrhea. With each round of AC chemo it gets worse. Luckily, this week I will have my last round of AC, then go on to Taxol, which my chemo nurses tell me is easier. I will also get Herceptin for a year, every 3 weeks. Anyone know anything about Herceptin?

• Nico1012
    edited August 2011
    Options

khertenst ~ I'm sure some of our sisters will be along to direct you to "Herceptin" threads.

Best of luck to you on your journey.

Nico1012

• nicholewilliams
    edited August 2011
    Options

Khetenst - try out some natural remedy for nausae like using ginger as ginger has antiemetic, anti-inflammatory and hypoglycemic effects and may additionally protect against Alzheimer's disease and cancer side effects.

Check out some of the articles
    http://www.nationalpost.com/life/health/story.html?id=37635d2f-b4d6-4215-8958-ca1c474e3a88

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-05-15/health/ginger.chemo.nausea_1_nausea-cancer-patients-chemo-patients?_s=PM:HEALTH

All the Best

Nichole

• Marni
    Marni Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    Options

Great help ladies, at least I know there are more of us out there and I am not going through this alone!. I had my first T/C on Tuesday and now at day 4/5, was really considering not having any more, I am just so tired and generally unwell. Does it get better, are there good days?? Can you actually get through Chemo without feeling so ill all the time. I found the Zofran to be really good. Also I find that frozen yoghurts certainly ease the sore mouth, and take Paracetemol for the aches and pains.

Good luck everyone :)

• badger
    edited August 2011
    Options

Marni, in my experience, it DOES get better and there ARE good days. Good luck and {{hugs}}

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2011
    Options

Marni:  For me, I had 4 TC each three weeks apart.  For me, days 4 and 5 were always ther worst.  On day 6, I felt better, but a little washed out. By day 7, I felt good again.  Hang in there and please tell your MO about any side effects.  Mine expected them and wanted to hear from me.  I had a sore mouth and he prescribed Magic Mouthwash for that.  Hang in there and I hope you will feel better soon.

• Nico1012
    edited August 2011
    Options

Bump

• Lindaqs
    Lindaqs Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi!!  I'm starting Taxol after four rounds of A/C.  It really kicked my butt in the fatigue department also.  I found that with each treatment my fatigue was lasting longer and longer until there wasn't more than a day that I wasn't sleeping or drained most of the time.  My nusrse also told me that the Taxol is easier to handle between doses also.  I'm sure hoping so.  When will you be starting?  Let me know how you fare with it.

Good luck and hugs to you on this journey

Linda 

• -RC-
    -RC- Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello ladies - I just wanted to let you know I'm lurking around here because I'm due to begin 4 rounds of AC every 2 weeks with Neulasta the week of Sept. 19th.  I see some of my friends here - HI sara1970 & madismommy!  I really appreciate all the tips given here.  No one WANTS to go thru chemo but I'm actually looking forward to getting it done.  My surgery removed all the cancer so chemo & Tamoxifen are my insurance policies with an onco score of 20.  From the sounds of it the Neulasta is more problematic than the chemo!!!!

• sara1970
    sara1970 Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2011
    Options

RheaC - My dumb Oncotype score was 21. Phooey! I can attest to the use of Claritin to dodge the SE's of the Neulasta shot. I had #1 of 8 last week. I took one Claritin that morning a few hours pre-shot, and then for the three following mornings. I had zero bone pain. I have varying degrees of fatigue and focus problems, but nothing else. I also drank a ton of water pre-chemo and for the three following days - sometimes a gallon each day. I will need to take more Colace next time because I had a good bit of constipation...

I'm with you in signing up for this "insurance policy." I mean, look what we've put ourselves through to become cancer-free... we want to be able to say we were proactive in every way in fighting this disease! 

We are in this together and we will be able to put this in our rearview SOON!  

• Nico1012
    edited August 2011
    Options

Bumping for the September '11 chemo starters.