Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Comments

• theatercat
    theatercat Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011

I am post first chemoAug 26th. Been very tough. Nausea and vomiting. Today I feel human. Able to eat and  leave the house. Hate the compazine can't keep my eyes open. Ativan is a little less potent. Doc says will change anti nauea meds, next time. Also taxol in january.Am also hoping its better.

• theatercat
    theatercat Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011

I have a question about a pet scan. Mine was clean that I had in july. Wouldn't my treatment change to less agressive if all the cancer had been taken at surgery. I could understand the radiation. But if they took the lump and my margins were clean  why so much chemo?

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited September 2011

*** BUMP ***

• sara1970
    sara1970 Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2011

Second CMF treatment today... I asked for a reduced amount of pre-infusion Steroids and they cut me from 12 to 8 mg. It made all the difference in my not being antsy, itchy, and "strung out" post-chemo. Apparently it is enough to keep the nausea at bay, as I am 8 hours post-tx and am feeling really good... 

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

Bumping for the September '11 chemo starters

• dianap
    dianap Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2011

I have had three chemotherapy treatments so far. I take all the meds the Dr's ask me to take and I have not had any problem with nausea. I do however have such a bad rash on my face and neck it looks like I wondered through a burning building! It seems to get worse with each chemo treatment so today I am trying hydrocortosone and benadryl. Getting through chemotherapy is so personal. Unless you have breast cancer you can't tell me anything. I celebrated yesterday because I had enough energy to make a home made shepherd pie. If I don't want to cook or clean or do anything thats okay because its whats best for me. Good family and friends understand that. 

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

Bumping for the Sept chemo starters.

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

Bump

• Nicole4
    Nicole4 Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2015

I start FEC on Sept 14, I am drinking 2 litres of water a day, trying to do 3 in prep.  I am a little scared but also looking forward to starting this.  I am also juicing 10 oz per day with veggies.

Here we go....

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

YEAH, Nicole! Every chemo sisters mantra should be "Fluids! Fluids! Fluids!"

• sara1970
    sara1970 Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2011

Nicole4 - I'm a juicer too - but the only thing that sucks is that it never makes you feel full!

• Carla9112
    Carla9112 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011

Hi everyone - this is my first posting but I've been reading the discussion boards daily since diagnosis.  Had a double mastectomy almost three weeks ago and start chemo on Monday.  I have been reading how water is so important but I am one of those strange people that just doesn't like water.  Any suggestions?   just don't know how I'll get enough water down me, especially if I'm not feeling so great after chemo.

Thanks for all of the helpful information that everyone posts on the boards.  It sure helps for us newcomers that have no clue what we're getting ready to endure.  Thanks!

• -RC-
    -RC- Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2011

Hello all!  Tomorrow I'm having my echo cardiogram & pre-chemo initiation at the hospital.  Hoping to begin A/C tx next week.  I love reading about everyone's experience which is mostly good!  I'll be lurking....

sara1970 - Hi!  How are you!  Tell me about the juicing!  I've been toying with the idea of getting one for years but I can't imagine how I would like the flavor....

• Tssheps
    Tssheps Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2011

Hi ladies. I had MUGA scan yesterday for base line heart function. I start AC on Monday once every two weeks x 4 cycles. I know about the steroid for nausea but was unaware of the bone pain from Neulasta injection which is administered 24 hours later? I know that my NP called in a bunch of scripts to the pharmacy which I am to bring in with me Monday. I am a big water drinker so that shouldn't be a problem....nervous about the "wired" feeling from steroid. My BMX with TE's was Aug. 30th. I am feeling good and am trying to stay strong for the road ahead...UGH! Taxol to follow every two weeks x 4 cycles...I can't wait until the New Year...thank you for sharing your experiences!

You are very kind!

• Nicole4
    Nicole4 Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2015

Good morning, I started FEC yesterday and so far I have not had any side effects.  I am taking anti nausea meds regularly and drinking a ton of water.  I can't belive this! 

I found the IV the most difficult part, but doable.  Once I was released, I was so happy!

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

Bump

• stroz
    stroz Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011

I have had 3 AC treatments with a Neulasta shot the day after this last one gave me extreme bone and muscle pain for 3 days I am having trouble with heartburn with a lump in my throat I am taking prilosec but doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will have my 4th AC next Friday and then will start the 4 taxol treatments.  I'm hoping that those will be easier on my system.  I love reading everyones helpful hints to get through this ordeal

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

stroz ~ many ladies on these boards use Claritin (NOT Claritin D) before and for a few days after the Neulasta shot and report that the bone pain is much less. Ask your onc about taking 2 Prilosec instead of one. That is the prescription dose. Good luck to your in treatment!

• Birds
    Birds Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2011

Jumpin in with a question about prilosec.  I had to take one nightly during chemo, but it's 18 months later and I still have to take it or I have heartburn and wake up with some regurg during the night.  It worries me that the prilosec box says not to continue taking it for more than a certain amount of time.  My onc knows I still take it and I work in a hospital and there are some heart patients who keep ongoing prescriptions for it.  Do any of you continue to take it?

• Birds
    Birds Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2011

Carla, for water drinking, maybe add some juice from a lemon to change the flavor a bit.  Keeping water in front of you all the time and sipping it is easier than drinking a lot at once.  Also if it's cold it may taste better.  I can tell you that chemo is not meant to stay in your body, it is meant to enter and pass through.  At least that's what I was told.  I didn't drink enough water  after chemo once, and I think I felt worse.  Also, if you are dehydrated, you may become nauseous. I hope either the lemon idea or my scare tactic helps you drink the water. :-)

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

pscheer1 ~ I am 3 years out from chemo and still take Prilosec. My onc is awre of it and he tells me that some people are on Prilosec or something like it for years with no adverse effects.

Great idea about adding lemon to the water. I added Crystal Light to water and also drank copious amounts of Gatorade. Hydration is critical during chemo, so get it down any way you can, I say! :)

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

Bump

• Jac53
    Jac53 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2011

Took Claritin for Neulasta bone pain for the first time last week.  This was for my 7th injection.  No bone pain at all this time!  I started taking it 2 days before and 5 days after the injection.

Many thanks to all those who've written about using this med. 

• khertenst
    khertenst Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2011

Just started Taxol yesterday--feeling okay so far, but it's early yet. Hoping for better times with this drug.

• -RC-
    edited September 2011

Tssheps - sounds like you and I are on similar regimens.  I had my first AC tx yesterday and feel pretty good.  Just a bit a sort of congested allergy head but very mild.  I asked my pharmacist about Claritin, he knew about, but directed me to Alavert because it's the exact same ingredient and much cheaper.  Then I brought it to my MO before my infusion and she said she heard they are starting to do studies on why this works and to go ahead & take it.  My DH will be giving me my shot tomorrow morning (I was told I have up to 48 hrs after chemo to take it and I'm working till 4am).  He was diabetic for over 20 years (he had a pancreas transplant in 2002 and is no longer diabetic!!!!!) so he's experienced in giving shots.  I'm drinking lots of water and it appears to have cleared out my system.  I don't have much of an appetite but I'm eating anyway to stave off the nausea.  I also eat a yogurt a day and drink some cranberry/pomegranate juice.

• shevawn
    shevawn Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2011

After my first round of T/C, I had diarrhea that would NOT stop for about 5 days, resulting in me being dehydrated & needing to have IV of saline. I took Lomotil up to 3x a day and still had diarrhea if I tried to eat anything. Eventually, I doubled up on Lomotil and Imodium together & that stopped it. The second round, however, I started taking my probiotics a few days before chemo & continue to take them every day and I haven't had ANY diarrhea since. I'm also not constipated. I drink lots of water, carrot juice & beet juice for immunity health. I also find coffee or an espresso to work magic if my bowels are having a "slow day."  Wink

I would HIGHLY recommend probiotics - look for them at your local healthy food store - Whole Foods or local vitamin/supplement shop. I use Solaray Multidophilus with 12 strains & 20 billion healthy bacteria. You'll find them in the refrigerated section - as live bacteria must remain cold or they'll die & be of no good to your intestines. You can also find them online & they can be shipped to keep cold. 

I've also not been bothered by yeast infections & I attribute this to probiotics as well - since they contain the good bacteria that our intestines AND girlie parts need. :)

When I told my onc about my using them, she suggested I give them to my son (age 9) as well, to keep him healthy with back to school & all, so he wouldn't bring something home to me. Probiotics are good for the entire family. Every day. :)  I just wish ALL docs would share info like this BEFORE you need it!!

• -RC-
    edited September 2011

shevawn - You look exactly like a beautiful young actress that I used to see on All My Children (can't quite think of her name but her mom was trailer park trash and the girl married Adam's son TJ or something)  Thanks for the info on probiotics etc.  I also use coffee as a "physic" Tongue out

I'm 3 days out from 1st tx and feeling great so far --- expecting nothing less & I'm stickin' to it!

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited September 2011

bumping

• jazz3000
    jazz3000 Member Posts: 109
    edited September 2011

I see the Oncologist and the intent is start within 2 weeks and saw this posting. Am so glad as I know I have to prepare for the up and coming and know little to nothing about it all. Stay in touch pleaseeee.