Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• kenyohunt1
    kenyohunt1 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2011
    Options

Tip

Heated blanket for the chemo room. Where I receive chemo is cold so my hubby and kids got me a beautiful, plush heated blanket to take with me. I have been using it at home. Then I was thinking I don't want to use it at the hospital then use it at home, so I bought another one specifically for the chemo room. I pack it in my chemo bag now I won't worry about tracking any bugs back and forth.

• thatsvanity
    thatsvanity Member Posts: 51
    edited December 2011
    Options

The chemotherapy room at Scripps gives heated blankets to patients and family I loved it. But you are right heated blankets help a lot.

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bumping for the January 2012 chemo starters.

• etherize
    etherize Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2011
    Options

Here is a belated thank you to chatsworthgirl for answering my question about Neupogen and bone pain.  I'm sorry, I didn't even see your answer until today ... sheesh ..

I'm starting chemo today and this thread has been very helpful.  Thanks so much to all the wonderful people who've added tips and answered questions! 

• Nico1012
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bumping

• Nico1012
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited December 2011
    Options

bump

• LisaEpstein
    LisaEpstein Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi, I am 49 years old had a lumpsectomy last week the results came back  my tumor size was 2.1 and it is a grade 3. My lympe nodes are all clear  and I am er positive and my margins are clear. Next week I go to oncologist to find out the treatment I will need. First breast doctor said I will not need chemo now she says I should leave it up to the cancer doctors. I hope this year ends fast 3 months ago I had uterus cancer all I needed was surgery stage 1. Does anyone out there know what I may be heading towards with this breast cancer.

• Nico1012
    edited January 2012
    Options

Lisa ~ There is a January 2012 chemo group that has been formed here on the boards and it would be really helpful for you to to join in. Taking this journey with others who are going through it makes all the difference. The support and info you give each other is priceless. Best of luck to you in your treatment.

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited January 2012
    Options

bumping

• mccrimmon324
    mccrimmon324 Member Posts: 794
    edited January 2012
    Options

bump

• Nicole4
    Nicole4 Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2015
    Options

today I am pleased to report that I finished my chemo, 3 FEC 3 Taxotere.  I note that I am really swelling up, might be from taxotere or the dexamethesone.  I have gained 12 lbs, legs and feet really swollen, I requested an ultra sound today to rule out blood clots, everything was fine.  I am now to start tamoxofen starting Feb 5th, I have read horror stories on this.  I am wondering whether anyone had an easy time with it, I know there are not a lot of posts indicating this.  I am thinking of trying an alternative re: ER+, but not really sure.  I will also have herceptin every three weeks for one year.

Happy to be done chemo, now for mastectomy radiation and reconstruction 2012, what a journey.

• xanderlee
    xanderlee Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Options

On my good days I cook meals for hte family and freeze them...I dont do convenience foods.  The best thing in the world for the fuzzy white tongue and taste was a simply mouth wash using bicarbonate of soda..sorted it out in two washes. along side my normal antibacterial mouthwash and fungal mouth yucky stuff we are given automatically here.

Fluids is a def, and walking..even if only a little way.  Stimulates the bone to make the things chemo is trying to destroy and is a good mood enhancer.

If temp rises get straight into hospital. Unfortunately every day 6 just as I start to feel better,  my temperature ups to 38.6 so it is straight into hospital (uk/irish temp is oC).

Have someone around to help lift heavy hot things..my fingers  go numb without me realising it and I drop things all the time....very annoying.

Listn to yuor body.  If you need rest, rest.  if you know you can get up but the bed just feels soooo warm..get up if only for a little while.  Activity helps and has been proven to enhance survival stats.  Laugh when you can.

Most importantly dont be a martyr...chemo is often lots of different little symptoms which change day by day but they are all manageable if you catch them quick.  You get a blister, put iodine or anti-bacterial cream on it, you get a mouth sore or blister..put some bonjela or alterntive on (baby teething creams with anti-bacterial are good..soem contain paracetomol but only in tiny amounts).  Hope this helps.  Not found a solution for chemo brain though...a biological lecturer here who cannot even get her kids names right most days lol

• xanderlee
    xanderlee Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Options

Lisaep 

You have the same as me pet and while we are all individual, my team are very optimistic.  We are in a marginal group where they are not too sure if we need chemo or not because it is not in the lymphs and it is played out by the individual and by the info your team will have.  I was given four doses of chemo (just had third) and will then be given radiotherapy and hormone therapy.  Talk to your team..write a list of questions and make you get the answers you need pet xxxLaughing

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2012
    Options

I never used the anti-fungal mouth gel. I don't like that stuff and never found it very helpful for yeast infections. Instead I rinsed with baking soda in a little water and took acidophilus. On FEC, I did get cotton mouth for a few days, but no sores or extended problems. On taxotere, I didn't even get cotton mouth. By the time I got to the taxotere I also added raw garlic daily, and it seemed to help both my mouth and my stomach.

• Nico1012
    edited January 2012
    Options

bump

• BelaT
    BelaT Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2012
    Options

I am scheduled for my first chemo and I am scared, don't know what to expect

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2012
    Options

BelaT, Everyone has fear of the unknown before chemo.  For me, the anticipation was worse than the actual event.  The chemo nurses were capable and kind and the actual infusions were not painful at all.  The best advice I can give you is to drink lots and lots of water shortly before and after your chemo. Your MO should tell you how much you need to drink.  The advice on here and its sister thread More Tips were very helpful to me.  I stocked up on everything recommended and the only thing I never needed was Immodium.

If possible, please bring someone with you.  The moral support helps and I was too preoccupied to remember all of the instructions from the MO and chemo nurses.  Also, I felt light headed after my first round of TC and driving would not have been a good idea for me.  I had a minor allergic reaction during the second round.  It was nothing serious, but I needed an infusion of benadryl for the rest of my chemo rounds.  If you have any meds like benadryl which can make you drowsy, driving is dangerous.

Bring some comfort items from home like your favorite pillow or afghan.  Also, it is nice to have something to entertain yourself like a book, kindle, or iPod. Snacks like pretzels were good for me.  Be very good to yourself after chemo.  It is definitely a time for pampering.

Please continue to let us know how you are doing.  Sending hugs to you. 

• Nico1012
    edited January 2012
    Options

bump

• rhondalee
    rhondalee Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Options

Can someone tell me what the normal # of chemo treatments are.....for example do you go once a week or several times a week?  Will be seeing the oncologist for my treatment plan tomorrow and have no idea how often a person normally gets chemo treatments....thanks, rhondalee

• barbyjean
    barbyjean Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi, Rhondalee. It seems that everyone has a different chemo schedule. A lot depends on your specific diagnosis, which includes type, size, grade, lymph nodes, etc. For me and many others, it is important to have a doctor you trust, who will answer all your questions to your satisfaction. 

My schedule is Taxotere/Cytoxan x 6, every three weeks. Tomorrow is my last, I can't wait to put this part behind me!! And find a January chemo group on this board. It is probable the most helpful thing for me.

Good Luck!    Barb 

• Nico1012
    edited January 2012
    Options

bumping for DianeNMil

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497
    edited February 2012
    Options

bump

• LA1217
    LA1217 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Options

Mellisaga, thank you for reposting this and taking the time to do so; about to head into chemo and this helped with amny questions.

• VeronicaX
    VeronicaX Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    Options

I have done 2 rounds and I have 2 more to go. Probably the severity of SE is dependant on the enzymes and genetics of each person's body. However,  there are things that can help with getting through chemo. I have learned  alot by reading and got inspired by Jennifer Griffin's blog. She had an amazing attitude through her 17 rounds of chemo.

1. Excercise every day a bit. I have an elypitical and I exercise about 30 minutes per day.

2.Drink water. I have  a 800 ml container and start the day by drinking 1 full container. At minimum I drink 2 containers per day which is not very bad but not great either. Three containers would be much better.

3. Juice. I drink one cup of freshly made green juice every day. Ideally we should drink more than a cup and before having anything to eat.

4. I take melatonin, l-carnitine, a probiotic and and multivitamins

5. I am active in the sense that I cook, work , do stuff

• Tangela
    Tangela Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Options

I am scheduled to have my Port put in mar 16th then I will find out when Chemo starts.

Feb 17th I had surgery Left breast removed Triple Negative Cancer..  Oncologist told me last week that i am Cancer free but have to have 5 months of Chemo.. 4 treatments-- once every 2 weeks for the first 2 months---- then once a week for the next 3 month....  Really scared about this ..  You hear so much about Chemo.. 

My in laws keep on saying stuff like-- you poor thing and they just carry on..  When i told them the oncologist report that I was cancer free but had to have the chemo they cried "OH No"  Needless to say my husband is a little upset with them right now,  We have been trying to be really positive through all of this even with Losing momma suddenly in Dec., so we are trying to stay clear of the negative people..

• phillybird
    phillybird Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2012
    Options

Tangela,

So sorry that you are joining the BC club.  Sorry about your mom.  You are right, you need to stay clear of negative people right now.  Focus on keeping yourself healthy and you will get through the chemo.  Everyone here will tell you that chemo sucks but it is do-able, you will get great support through the discussion boards here.  Join a "March 2012 chemo" thread.  I am sure someone has started one.  VeronicaX's comments above are right-on.  You cannot drink too much water when you are on chemo.  It is so important to stay super hydrated.  Do get some exercise everyday, even if it is just a nice brisk walk.  Eat lots of fiber too.  Another thing is to be really gentle with your skin and scalp (once the hair starts to come out especially).  Get alcohol free skin cleansers and use lots of moisturizer.  Keep your skin protected from the sun; use sunblock.  Good luck to you!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited March 2012
    Options

Tangela, I am so sorry that you lost your dear mother recently.  It is a loss you are never prepared for.  For me, chemo was not so bad--not nearly as bad as I feared before my first treatment.  Drink lots of water before, during, and after your chemo infustions and be sure to report any SE's to your MO promptly.  They really want to help you.