Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Waitingforthenextstep- Just sent you a private message.... :)
  • JudyinNC
    JudyinNC Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Options

Has anyone had an ultrasound guided needle biopsy of the axillary lymph nodes? Trying to get an idea what to expect - how much discomfort during the procedure, how sore afterwards?

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2012
    Options

hi Judy, welcome to BCO.  It's the best club you never wanted to join.  I didn't have that procedure but others have so I wanted to reply and bump up this thread.  Best wishes!

• PonWpc
    PonWpc Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Options

I had one. It was not so much painful as when you see the needle, so don't look at the needle. They will give local anaesthetic injection to make you numb first. The feeling like to visiting the dentist. If you don't feel numb enough they will give you more. After the procedure, the pain just went away, so no worries and relax during the biopsy. My diagnosis was stage 3 and ended up with mastectomy and under chemo at the moment. Good-luck and best wishes.

• badger
    edited September 2012
    Options

hi PonWpc, welcome and thanks for helping someone with your very 1st post here.

Best wishes to you and everyone dealing with chemo!

• JudyinNC
    JudyinNC Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi PonWpc, and thank you for your reply. I had my procedure done this morning. It went pretty well.

They allowed my friend, who accompanied me to my appointment, to sit by my head during the biopsy. At one point she had to switch which hand I was holding - I guess I was squeezing it pretty good! Tongue out  

The external skin was numbed well. I didn't feel the lancing at all. But when the doc inserted the "tubing?" that the needle biopsied through, that didn't feel the best. It took some prodding and repositioning to get it just like he wanted it. Then with each sample taken, there was a fresh stabbing pain; but certainly bearable.

You were right about the needle. I didn't want to look at it. My friend described it to me later as being about the diameter of the ink cartridge inside an ink pen. That's a pretty hefty needle.

I did make myself look at the ultrasound screen during the last sampling. It was rather interesting. The needle inserts all the way through the node to insure that a good sample is obtained.

The residual pain is certainly bearable. I have taken a couple of doses of an herbal pain tablet that I have found to work well for me.

Once again, thank you to each of you for sharing your experiences. They help so much.

• mom83
    mom83 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Options

My 83 year old mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in August 2012, then found thoracic spine metastatic disease and changed it to Stage IV.  Am reading everything possible relating to her condition and how to asist her in being as comfortable as possible. Thank you for your tips which I will pass on to her.

• CelineFlower
    CelineFlower Member Posts: 145
    edited October 2012
    Options

any tips on making the damn room stop spinning?

• badger
    edited October 2012
    Options

CelineFlower, I've heard of chemo making people dizzy but it didn't happen to me.

My balance has been off, though, since chemo.  I figure it did a number on the tiny inner-ear hairs that help with balance and equilibrium. 

Anyone have tips to help with dizziness? 

• CelineFlower
    edited October 2012
    Options

good point badger... didnt think of that one

i feel like im on the ferry to newfoundland

feels like constant motionsickness with no throwing up...

6 months of this??? can i handle it???

i feel like im at the 2km point of a 20k run...

hitting a wall... but have to push thru...

first few days were good... now im thinking.... 6 months feeling like this?? how am i gonna do this...

sigh

*celine goes back to blowing bubbles * 

• badger
    edited October 2012
    Options

Celine, your description put me in mind of a product I bought for a cruise.

They're called Sea-Bands.  They're a set of accupressure wrist bracelets.

Worked like a charm.  Cost is around ten bucks, I got mine at Walgreens.

Not sure they have those in Canada but check your local drugstore or on-line.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!  ((hugs))

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2012
    Options

Celine--I had motion sickness with A/C chemo.  If I was sitting in a room with someone on a rocking chair I would have to ask them to stop,too.  The room spinned a lot.  Mine got better and finally went away.  I have always been prone to motion sickness.

• CelineFlower
    edited October 2012
    Options

great idea badger!! i'll look into it 

oh god yes a rocking chait would not be good!

thank fully my dizzyness got better.. im on day 11 and getting ready for thanksgiving tomorow with family...

monday is when im taking care of my hair..

i know how you feel.. its an old friend...sigh... 20 inches of it

i promise to share pics and stories 

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited October 2012
    Options

Celine

I too have long hair.  I feel like I'm in denial that soon it will be falling out.  Quite honestly I don't know what to do.  I've had long hair my entire adult life.  Should I cut it to shoulder length?  Is that even enough? Like so many other things with bc, just don't know. 

• CelineFlower
    edited October 2012
    Options

i am doing.. what feels good and is right action for me

find your groove..

*celine blows some purple bubbles at your head * 

• TallM
    TallM Member Posts: 1,070
    edited October 2012
    Options

Waitingfor-I'm sorry you have to make that decision. It is hard esp if you've had long hair most of your life. I know people that have done many different things. And I've been told it's easier if you're in control of your hair.

You may not lose much or at all. Its totaly unique to everyone. If you start to notice your hair clumping that's when I cut mine shorter, then did a pixie cut then it was gone. I kept my brows & lashes while orhers lost them. Some have shaved there head from the get go.

It depends on the chemo you're on too. The Chemo I'm on now (Navelbine) my hair has grown back! However on Taxol, Methotrexate & Tykerb it fell out.

Like Celine said you need to do what's best for you. I wish you all the best & hope all goes well.

-Malinda xxx

• badger
    edited October 2012
    Options

I had long hair that I donated to Locks of Love prior to starting chemo.

Got a cute chin-length bob that lasted until two weeks after first infusion.  Then it started coming out like dandelion fluff so I got it buzzed short at the salon.  Stylist recommended not shaving my head, to avoid ingrown hairs. 

Bought myself a satin pillowcase and it was ten bucks well-spent.  So soothing.

• kgibby1
    kgibby1 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Options

thanks i just ordered one. im newly diagnosed & any help is appreciated.

• kgibby1
    kgibby1 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Options

hi, i just had my 2nd treatment yesterday. im having a real problem with losing my hair. i knw everyone says its just hair & it will grow bk but its my hair & it takes so long 2 ger it back. its our identity. ive noticed the shedding, i havent had clumps just git my wig yesterday too. but just really having issues with losing it. ugh!

• badger
    edited October 2012
    Options

((kgibby1)) sorry you find yourself here but welcome to BCO.

I found it harder to lose my hair than my breasts.

Lots of women are flat-chested but not many are bald.

I had my final chemo in June 2010 and had hair by Labor Day.

Or shall I say enough hair to have more than my infant niece!

• Cindi74
    Cindi74 Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2012
    Options

Kgibby,

I found that it really helped me to know that I had an attractive wig to put on when it happened.  I was too cheap to pay for a new permanent when I knew it would fall out.  Then a daughter-in-law cut it, and a daughter, and I, and my husband.  (too cheap to pay for professional too) So by the time it really started to fall, it looked like it  had been cut with a lawnmower.  Now people I don't even know tell my how beautiful my hair looks in line at Golden Corral.  She wanted to know where I got it done.  I  bent over and whispered that it is a wig.  Wow,  she said.  Where did you  buy it?

A sense of humor helps.  hugs and no SE

• TallM
    edited October 2012
    Options

Kgibby lossing hair is HARD! I cried esp on the last short cut. I had long hair my whole life & I would look in the mirror & NOT recognize the person looking back. My hair has started to grow back but it's still short & will probaably fall out again. I'm just now starting to recognize myself a little so I don't feel like such an alien.

I'm glad you got a wig & I hope that helps you. Good luck. I wish we didn't have to go through all that we do but I guess it makes us stronger:o

• FernReiss
    FernReiss Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    Options

I went through a year of treatment (bilateral mastectomy, chemo, radiation) and finished a year ago; I found these forums *tremendously* helpful while I was in treatment.

The below tips are from my book, "The Breast Cancer Checklist" which is the book that I wanted when I was diagnosed and which I finally wrote.  (Feel free to bump this list up if you find it helpful.)   (If you're looking for radiation tips, I'm posting those in that section of the forum.)

Checklist: Treatment Day 

* Eat before you go.  You'll experience less nausea if you eat a whole grain meal about two hours before your treatment.  Avoid fats and sugars which tend to make nausea worse.  And don't eat your favorite foods before a treatment--you may end up with unpleasant associations between your food and the treatment.

* Remember to drink a lot to get those toxins flushing through your system quickly.

* Sucking on a peppermint candy during treatment may help if your mouth tastes unpleasant.

* Wear comfortable clothing and comfortable shoes to treatments.  If you have an infusion port, wear a (button-down) shirt so that the port can be easily accessed.  Bring a sweater or jacket, and warm socks, because hospitals are often chilly. 

* Bring a book or relaxation tape so you have something to do while waiting.

* Bring a snack (carbs such as bread or crackers are usually best) and water.

* Something cold to snack on (popsicles, ice chips, etc) can help prevent mouth sores, one of the possible side effects of chemo particularly if you're taking Adriamycin/red juice.  (The Adriamycin part of chemo is red; if your urine is red afterwards, it's not a cause for concern.)

* Ask a nurse whether you should plunge your fingers in ice water or wear ice mitts during treatment to prevent nail problems.

* Don't forget your calendar (for scheduling future appointments and dosage details of medications) and medical records.

* Bring a friend, so you can have some nice, uninterrupted time with someone you love, or someone you'd like to get to know better.  Also, you might need someone to drive you home; your response to treatment may vary, and you might not be physically capable of driving yourself home.

* If nausea is a problem, try placing an acupressure band on your wrist a few hours before chemotherapy.

* Ask for a heated blanket, which some women find makes them feel much happier during treatments, particularly in frosty hospitals.

Checklist: Other chemo tips

* Wash your hands often--and make sure everyone else washes theirs.  Use an antibacterial cleaner, and make family members (and guests) use it too.  Bring wipes with you when you leave the house, so that you can easily clean your hands wherever you go without having to share a communal towel.

* Face mask: If you're going to be in a crowded venue, such as a concert hall, consider wearing a face mask.  It may not totally prevent you from getting sick, but it will at least prevent egregious cheek-kissers from getting too close.

* Moisturize at least twice daily (with a moisturizer for sensitive skin) to avoid skin dryness.  Chemo drugs will dry out your skin, and you don't want to inadvertently scratch and possibly cause an infection.  Petroleum jelly is a good alternative.  Pat yourself dry (don't rub--that could also lead to infection) and moisturize immediately.

* Be sure you're not over-showering--you don't want to strip away too much moisture.

* If you don't have a port, your fingers or arms will feel particularly sensitive because of the constant poking, so be sure you coat them with vaseline moisturizer.  Use a fragrance-free product, because the chemo might heighten your sense of smell.

* Chemo makes you photo-sensitive, so avoid the sun.  A rash or sunburn may cause infection (and can also contribute to lymphedema.)  Wear double your usual sunscreen SPF, cover up with tightly knit  cotton clothing, and limit your sun time.

* Nausea, fatigue, and hair loss are the most common chemo side effects.  The best treatment for fatigue and exhaustion, and a good treatment for nausea as well, is moderate exercise.

* Schedule preferred time for isitors.  Your friends will want to drop by to show support, but if you've just come back from a treatment and are throwing up into the sink, you'd probably rather not see them.  Figure out what timing works best for you, and ask friends to visit when you'll enjoy them.

* Be sure you're not over-scheduling visitors; your energy level will likely be depleted, and even incredibly social people may find that two or three visitors a day is more than sufficient.  When you've had enough visitors, post a polite note on your front door that advises people to come another time.

* Nap during the day.  You'll likely find it difficult to sleep as well as you used to at night, and you'll be more fatigued because of the treatment, so schedule yourself so that you can nap mid-day--and then be sure you nap during that time, rather than checking email or leafing through the newspaper.

* If you're planning to follow a special diet during the chemo, have your family help in keeping an up-to-date shopping list, so that when you run out of ingredients you can just circle them on your list, and when a friendly visitor offers to help you can send them off with the list.

* To make sure your chemo is providing optimal benefits to your body, with minimal undesired side effects, try visualizing your chemo as a friend.  Think, "Thank goodness for this chemo which is making my body strong and powerful, and I feel rested and great after the treatment" (rather than, "I hate this chemo, it makes me feel nauseated and horrible." :*)  

* On chemo treatment day, and for several days thereafter, drink ten glasses of water each day (but not during, or immediately after, meals, which can make you queasier).

* If they agree with your stomach, eat more raw broccoli, kale, red onion, pomegranate, fish, mushrooms, turmeric, ginger, watercress, and apples, all of which medical studies have found helpful for breast cancer.

* Exercise daily, if you can, even if it's only a ten-minute walk.

* Ask for help in lifting heavy items, particularly food items that may be very hot; the chemotherapy can numb your fingers, and some women complain about dropping things.

* Before starting or continuing vitamins during chemo, speak to your oncologist; some doctors advocate taking vitamins for nutritional supplementation, but others are concerned that antioxidant vitamins are detrimental during chemo.

*  In particular, avoid grapefruit and echinacea during chemo, both of which, according to medical studies, can interfere with the body's ability to absorb the chemotherapy drugs.

* Some nausea during chemo might be unavoidable, but if you're throwing up, talk to your doctor; drugs can prevent it.  Particularly if you're on AC, ask about adding Emend, a steroid, and Zofran to your regimen;Emend is particularly expensive, so some doctors don't prescribe it initially, but if you're suffering, ask.

* If you're suffering from constipation, add more fiber to your diet.  If that doesn't work, try Metamucil.  If you're still suffering, ask your doctor about docusate sodium, an over-the-counter stool softener.  Some women also find that sesame oil helps with constipation.

* If you're suffering from diarrhea, try avoiding lactose (ie, dairy).

* If you have acid reflux, ask your doctor about taking an antacid.  You can also try a teaspoon of baking soda in warm water.

* If you've got dry mouth, and especially if you're starting to get mouth sores, ask your doctor about taking Biotene; it's available as mouthwash, toothpaste, and chewing gum.

* If you get thrush (an oral yeast infection) from the chemo, some women suggest baking soda (try a teaspoon in warm water). Other women find that coconut oil can relieve thrush; you can purchase coconut oil at most health food stores. 

* Some women find that the steroids administered during chemo make sleep difficult and suggest (controlled-release) Ambien.  Check with your doctor first.

* If you're getting Neulastim to boost your white blood count, you can get bone pain as a result.  Ask your doctor if there's any problem with taking a painkiller half an hour before each injection (and for one to two days afterwards).  Most women find that Aleve or Claritin work best.

* If you want to get a manicure or pedicure, bring your own equipment to prevent infection.  Nail polish enhanced with slicium is helpful for overall nail health, if you're going to use nail polish.  If your fingernails are discoloring, try wearing ice mits during treatment.  Tea tree oil  (applied topically) can also help).

* Get a warm cap in which you can sleep comfortably; bald can be cold.  If you can find a cap that is seam-free, it will be more comfortable.

* If you had radiation prior to chemo, be alert for 'radiation recall' when the irradiated area turns red and irritated as it was during the radiation; this can be caused by chemo drugs.  Tell your doctor.

* If your doctor is planning on AC as part of your chemo regimen, you'll probably be sent for an echocardiogram (heart ultrasound) every two to three months, to check for heart damage.  The procedure takes no more than 20 minutes, and is done in a doctor's office or hospital.  It involves only the removal of your shirt so that they can rub the ultrasound probe over your chest.  It's entirely painless.

* Notify your doctor if you've never had chicken pox and come into contact with either chickenpox or shingles.

Checklist:  Managing nausea

* Instead of three large meals per day, try five or six smaller meals.

* Stick to low-fat foods and fresh fruits and vegetables.

* Avoid beverages with meals, or in the two hours after eating, to prevent nausea.  But drink the rest of the day, so you don't get dehydrated.  When you drink, drink slowly.

* First thing in the morning, and at the first hint of nausea, eat dry foods--toast or crackers. 

* Low fat foods are better than greasy, sugary, or fatty foods; dry foods (toast and crackers) are best.  Salty foods will likely go down easier than sweet foods.  Chew food thoroughly.

* For two hours immediately after eating, do not lie down.  Sleeping sitting up is fine. 

* Fresh air and loose clothing can help control nausea.  Or try accupressure bands.  Hypnosis has also proven helpful to some.

* Have someone else prepare your meals, or prepare your meals ahead of time (so you don't have to endure the smells).

* Avoid odors, and being around cooking preparation.  Perfume and smoke odor can also contribute to nausea.

* Consuming cold liquids, salty liquids such as miso soup, ice chips, ginger, and an icepack on the back of your neck can all help relieve nausea.

* Use plastic eating utensils rather than metal silverware, which can set off nausea.

* Ginger and ginger tea have been shown to be  effective in combatting nausea, but be careful not to take ginger when chemo lowers your platelet count, because of its anticoagulent effect.  Check with your doctor to be sure.

* Some women find lemons, either fresh lemons squeezed into water, or lemon drops or lemon oil to sniff, helpful for queasiness.

* Relaxation exercises can also help.

Checklist: Dealing with hair loss

* Hair loss that you experience during chemo is temporary; after you stop the chemo, your hair will start to regrow (though the texture and color may be slightly diferent than the hair you lost).

* Hair loss usually begins two to three weeks after starting chemo.

* For facial hair, get an eyebrow powder or an eyeliner pencil so that you can draw in your eyebrows when that hair falls out. 

* The glue in fake eyelashes can cause infection, so just use a dark eyeliner pencil and skip the falsies. 

* When your hair starts to fall out in clumps, it might be  easier to have your partner or a friend shave the rest of it off entirely; it's demoralizing to see it all falling out over your pillow.

* Even though you're losing your hair, you should still shampoo your scalp at least once a week to keep it fresh.  Use a baby shampoo--you'll have no natural hair oils.

* Sil scarves are likely to slip off your head without hair to keep them in place; cotton is a better choice.

* If you're going for a wig, buying  it when you still have your hair will help them match the color and style more easily.

* A human hair wig will be lighter and more comfortable than a synthetic wig, but more expensive.  

* Shampoo, condition, and air-dry your wig.  Or you can use a blow-dryer until the wig is almost dry, then air-dry the rest of the way.

* Plastic bristled brushes work best on wigs.

* Keep the wig on a wig stand when you're not wearing it, to keep the shape.  You might want to cover it with a scarf to keep it dust-free.

* A wig-liner worn under the wig will help keep the wig from getting itchy.  If you can't find a wig-liner, cut the middle part from a pair of pantyhose and use that.

Copyright, Fern Reiss, "The Breast Cancer Checklist" book, BreastCancerChecklist.com 2013

(There's more, but maybe that's enough to start... :*

Hope this is helpful. 

/Fern

• TallM
    edited October 2012
    Options

Thanks Fern:) Helpfull info. I'll send this on for others to look @ your website too.

• badger
    edited October 2012
    Options

bump!

• CelineFlower
    edited October 2012
    Options

great list .. thank you

only two points i dont agree with

vaseline is petroleum... i prefer to use olive oil

and be careful with pommegranites, it has the same properties as flax seeds and can affect hormones etc

• FernReiss
    edited October 2012
    Options

Celine, would love to see what you've read on pomegranates, all the studies I read showed they were good for breast cancer (and chemo) but would love to know what you're referring to.  Thanks!

Glad the list was helpful, trying to post more from the book through the forums here when I have the time,

/Fern

• CelineFlower
    edited October 2012
    Options

a patient , in my treatment center was eating 2 or 3 a day... thinking it was helping her.. but it caused her a lot of problems and the dietician told her no more then 2 a week

here is what i have found...

Pomegranate is a tree. Various parts of the tree and fruit are used to make medicine.

Pomegranate is used for many conditions, but so far, there isn’t enough scientific evidence to rate pomegranate as effective for any of them. We do know, though, that pomegranate does not seem to be effective for reducing the symptoms of chronicobstructive lung disease (COPD) or improving breathing in people with this condition.

Pomegranate is used for conditions of the heart and blood vessels, including high blood pressurecongestive heart failure (CHF), heart attack, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), and high cholesterol. It is also used for conditions of the digestive tract, including diarrhea, dysentery, and tapeworm and other intestinal parasites.

Some people use pomegranate for flu, swelling of the lining of the mouth (stomatitis), gum disease, erectile dysfunction (ED), diabetes and a complication called acidosis, bleeding, and HIV disease. It is also used for preventing prostate cancerobesity, andweight loss. Some women use pomegranate to cause an abortion.

Pomegranate is used as a gargle for sore throat, and it is applied to the skin to treathemorrhoids.

Pomegranate (Punica granatum) is unique among plants. The only other plant that is closely related is a small tree that grows only on an island in Yemen.

Pomegranate has been used for thousands of years to treat a wide variety of diseases. It is in Greek, Hebrew, Buddhist, Islamic, and Christian mythology and writings. It is described in records dating from around 1500 BC as a treatment for tapeworm and other parasites.

Many cultures use pomegranate as a folk medicine. Pomegranate is native to Iran. It is primarily cultivated in Mediterranean counties, parts of the United States, Afghanistan, Russia, India, China, and Japan. You’ll see pomegranate in some royal and medical coats of arms.

How does it work?

Pomegranate contains a variety of chemicals that might have antioxidant effects. Some preliminary research suggests that chemicals in pomegranate juice might slow the progression of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and possibly fight cancer cells. But it is not known if pomegranate has these effects when people drink the juice.

Pomegranate juice is LIKELY SAFE for most people. Most people do not experience side effects. Some people can have allergic reactions to pomegranate fruit.

When applied to the skin or gum, pomegranate is rated POSSIBLY SAFE. Some people have experienced sensitivity to pomegranate including itching, swelling, runny nose, and difficulty breathing.

Pomegranate is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when the root and stems are taken by mouth. The root contains a poison.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Pomegranate juice is POSSIBLY SAFE for pregnant and breast-feeding women. But it is not known if other forms of pomegranate, such as pomegranate extract, are safe. If you use pomegranate, stick with the juice during pregnancy or breast-feeding. Check with your healthcare provider first.

Allergies to plants: People with plant allergies seem to be more likely to have an allergic reaction to pomegranate.

Surgery: Pomegranate might affect blood pressure. This might interfere with blood pressure control during and after surgery. Stop taking pomegranate at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Moderate Interaction Be cautious with this combination

• Medications changed by the liver (Cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) substrates) interacts with POMEGRANATE

Some medications are changed and broken down by the liver. Pomegranate might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down some medications. Taking pomegranate along with some medications that are changed by the liver can increase the effects and side effects of your medication. Before taking pomegranate talk to your healthcare provider if you take any medications that are changed by the liver.
      Some medications that are changed by the liver include amitriptyline (Elavil), codeine, desipramine (Norpramin), flecainide (Tambocor), fluoxetine (Prozac), ondansetron (Zofran), tramadol (Ultram), and others.

• Medications for high blood pressure (ACE inhibitors) interacts with POMEGRANATE

Pomegranate juice seems to decrease blood pressure. Taking pomegranate juice along with medications for high blood pressure might cause your blood pressure to be too low.
      Some medications for high blood pressure include captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), ramipril (Altace), and others.

• Medications for high blood pressure (Antihypertensive drugs) interacts with POMEGRANATE

Pomegranate seems to decrease blood pressure. Taking pomegranate along with medications for high blood pressure might cause your blood pressure to go too low.
      Some medications for high blood pressure include captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), losartan (Cozaar), valsartan (Diovan), diltiazem (Cardizem), Amlodipine (Norvasc), hydrochlorothiazide (HydroDIURIL), furosemide (Lasix), and many others.

• Rosuvastatin (Crestor) interacts with POMEGRANATE

Rosuvastatin (Crestor) is broken down by the body in the liver. Drinking pomegranate juice might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down rosuvastatin (Crestor). This might increase the effects and side effects of rosuvastatin (Crestor).

Minor Interaction Be watchful with this combination

• Medications changed by the liver (Cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) substrates) interacts with POMEGRANATE

There has been some concern that drinking pomegranate juice might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down some medications. However, scientific research shows that drinking pomegranate juice probably does not cause an important interaction with medications. Until more is known, talk to your healthcare provider if you are taking any medications that are changed by the liver.

Some medications changed by the liver include amlodipine (Norvasc), diltiazem (Cardizem), verapamil (Verelan, Calan, others), indinavir (Crixivan), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir), saquinavir (Invirase), alfentanil (Alfenta), fentanyl (Sublimaze), midazolam (Versed), ondansetron (Zofran), propranolol (Inderal), and many others.

POMEGRANATE DOSING

The appropriate dose of pomegranate depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time, there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for pomegranate. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.

• FernReiss
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi Celine,

Interesting; thanks! Below is one of the studies I looked at, which looked specifically at pomegranate's effect on prostate cancer, but there were several similar studies linking pomegranate and cancer prevention.

/Fern

Int J Oncol. 2008 Feb;32(2):475-80.

Ellagitannin-rich pomegranate extract inhibits angiogenesis in prostate cancer in vitro and in vivo.

Source

Center for Human Nutrition, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1742, USA.

Abstract

Angiogenesis is critical to tumor growth and is stimulated by tissue hypoxia due to poor oxygen delivery. In turn, cellular hypoxia leads to angiogenesis via the induction of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha (HIF-1alpha) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) at a cellular level. Pomegranate juice and extracts, which are rich sources of ellagitannins, have been shown to have chemopreventive potential against prostate cancer, but there have been no studies on the effects of an ellagitannin-rich pomegranate extract on angiogenesis. Human prostate cancer cells (LNCaP) and human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVEC) were incubated with a pomegranate extract standardized to ellagitannin content (POMx), under normoxic and hypoxic conditions in vitro. Human prostate cancer cells (LAPC4) were injected subcutaneously into severe combined immunodeficient (SCID) mice and the effects of oral administration of POMx on tumor growth, microvessel density, and HIF-1alpha and VEGF expression were determined after 4 weeks of treatment. POMx inhibited the proliferation of LNCaP and HUVEC cells significantly under both normoxic and hypoxic conditions. HIF-1alpha and VEGF protein levels were also reduced by POMx under hypoxic conditions. POMx decreased prostate cancer xenograft size, tumor vessel density, VEGF peptide levels and HIF-1alpha expression after 4 weeks of treatment in SCID mice. These results demonstrate that an ellagitannin-rich pomegranate extract can inhibit tumor-associated angiogenesis as one of several potential mechanisms for slowing the growth of prostate cancer in chemopreventive applications. Further studies in humans are needed to confirm that angiogenesis can be inhibited by an ellagitannin-rich pomegranate extract administered orally as a dietary supplement.

• CelineFlower
    edited October 2012
    Options

i agree it is a good tool...

but there is so much to consider.. we should make sure to tell our team everything

just cuz its natural doesnt mean its safe