Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• ahutton
    ahutton Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Options

These are all such great tips! I agree that these things get lost in cyber space. I even wrote a book filled with tips and hints I learned the hard way - living through it. These discussion boards, as well as my doctors, nurses and friends were incredibly helpful but I wanted to write something so newly diagnosed women could find it all in one place. Not search the web like we had to. Strangely enough, I've been told by publishing agents that women with breast cancer don't buy books about it! Hah! I just think we don't buy that many memoirs, etc because we want real hints and tips. Information that's going to help us deal with mouth sores, and peeling skin and nausea and emotions and everything else. So, I'm writing a blog - Bald is Better with Earrings - so everyone can find the tips they need. I just started but I'm hoping it will be helpful. baldisbetterwithearrings.blogspot.com

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks for posting. I'm 2 treatments into my planned 16 treatments and appreciate all the support and tips.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2012
    Options

bump

• badger
    edited July 2012
    Options

Murphy's Law of Chemo SE Management: "If you don't have something on hand, you will need it exactly when you cannot go out and get it." 

Corollary: "If you buy it in advance, you will end up not needing it at all." 

• emilybrooke
    emilybrooke Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies, I've been reading the posts on this board and have found all of the info so helpful.  I will be meeting with my oncologist for the first time on Monday. Does anyone have a list of must ask questions? Any further info would be great and much appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

• badger
    edited July 2012
    Options

hi emilybrooke, I don't have a list of questions but wanted to respond and wish you well.  The basic thing you want to do at your first visit with your oce is to have him/her explain your pathology report and go over your treatment options.  If possible, bring a tape recorder or a friend because the info will come at you really fast, it can be overwhelming.

I'll also bump up the "More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo" thread for you.  It seems to be more active than this one.  Good luck!

• Tskaiser75
    Tskaiser75 Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2012
    Options

hi emilybrooke, I definitely agree with badger. I took 2 people with me for my first visit-my husband and one of my daughters who happens to be a nurse(lucky me!) It was definitely a blur, I also made a point to meet all the office staff so when I did have a question I could talk to them on a first name basis. Good luck and stay strong.

• emilybrooke
    emilybrooke Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thank you for the tips and the support. For all prior appointments with the surgeons my husband and I brought my sister (a nurse) and his mother. Unfortunately, neither can be with us on Monday so it will just be the two of us. We will definitely be recording the conversation.

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited July 2012
    Options

BUMPING FOR THE NEWBIES!!!!!

• Melrosemelrose
    edited July 2012
    Options

BUMPCool

• Melrosemelrose
    edited July 2012
    Options
    bump Cool
  • badger
    edited July 2012
    Options

bump!

• LaurynSister
    LaurynSister Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    Options
    thank you all and God bless you for your tips! Will be starting treatments after surgery in the next couple weeks. Not sure which med cocktail yet, though, but i do know hormone therapy will be in there.

a great outlook and attitude, and that is what it takes for us all to make it day to day, thanking God for each wonderful and beautiful day. I guess it is so easy to worry about the past and the future, we forget to enjoy the present day to the fullest. I learned this when my first born son was cricitally ill in icu as a baby (he is okay now), but then i guess over the years i let myself backslide into a worry wart mode again about "what if"-- and all that does is get me overwhelmed and anxious. I  need to return back to that time when i learned to enjoy the simple things in life --day by day -- i was so much happier when i did that. :) thank you, dear friend for encouraging me!

And the more i find out about BC -- i start to feel more at ease when i read stories like yours, and also read how far research has come in helping us to survive much longer. A doctor told me yesterday at the breast center that it is amazing what new stuff they have come out with in treatments and combination treatments. And how well the tumors respond to hormone therapy. I talked with another friend of mine, an older woman who went through our type of BC 17 years ago, and she is still kicking! She says the key is to not give up...fight hard...keep the faith. She had a small reoccurrance 10 yrs ago, but she beat it too. And she is like 70 yrs old now. So glad i met u all 

• Dariff
    Dariff Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Options

I think you have done a great job!  Thank you!

• badger
    edited September 2012
    Options

bump!

• CelineFlower
    CelineFlower Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2012
    Options

i will be starting chemo soon... and am unable to afford dental work... i know i have a couple cavities and was told years ago id need my 4 wisedom teeth pulled.

I am very concerned about mouth sores...

how does/will this impact the SE? 

• Cindi74
    Cindi74 Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2012
    Options

CelineFlower,  so sorry about your dental work.  I see you are in Canada.  My brother was a dentist in the US, and I know he occasionally charged less or even did for free dental work for worthy patients.  Call some dentists.  Tell them the situation or talk the receptionist out of their e-mail and put it into writing.  Offer to clean their office or knit a scarf, whatever you could do.  You shouldn't be starting theapy that can wipe out your immune system as it has done to me with dental problems.  I thought Canada had a health care system that provides at least some service to everyone.  No dental work?  Hugs

• CelineFlower
    CelineFlower Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thank you good advice.. but i am days away from starting.. i will try but not sure what i can do...

canada does not offer free dental (atleast not in quebec) 

• Cindi74
    edited September 2012
    Options

Celine,  Does your oncologist know about your dental pbms?   I just know that it's easy for dental infections to get into the blood pretty easily where it is very serious.  The first chemo ten days ago wiped out my immune system, and although I am being given almost daily shots to prompt production of white blood cells, not much improvement yet.  I don't think that's a common problem.  My Oncologist has urged me to call if I have any fever and said I should wear a mask if I am around people, and avoid germs as much as possible.  HUGS

• badger
    edited September 2012
    Options

CelineFlower, I'm sorry you are having dental issues along with BC and chemo.  My advice is to talk to your oncologist and see what s/he recommends.  They've had all kinds of patients with all kind of issues and it's their job to get you through it.  Best wishes!

(edited for spelling)

• JudyinNC
    JudyinNC Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi Everyone. I am brand new to this group - never joined a discusson group before. I am so thankful I found YOU! I just received my diagnosis last week, and am trying to get myself mentally prepped for what lies ahead. I am having a lot of anxiety thinking about it all. (I am actually having nausea just dreading the nausea from chemo!) Surprised Isn't that wierd?! I am reading through these wonderful posts, making a lot of notes, and just gaining strength from you beautiful, strong ones who have gone before. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. They are such a comfort to me right now. I don't even know my staging yet (needle biopsy next day results said IDC), though the surgeon has told me it has most probably metastasized (I was thankful for his frankness, because I was hesitant to do the needle biopsy versus lumpectomy). I had breast MRI yesterday to see if breast conservation is an option versus mastectomy. I also had lumbar x-rays as it appears likely that is one of my mets sites. I get the results on those tests tomorrow and will likely know a lot more about my status and maybe my treatment plan.

My question for now:

I have seen a number of mentions that health care providers have advised not to use Vitamin C supplements with breast cancer. Does anyone have particular reference info on why this would be advised? I am under the impression that Vitamin C is known to have very positive results on breast cancer. (for example see the link below). I would like advice about this.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/hoffer_cancer_2.html

• Cindi74
    edited September 2012
    Options

Oh dear Judy in NC,  We ALL know how shocking, fearful, rollercoaster fast things are going for you.  We hope you have family and/or support network.  Breastcancer.org site has lots of information which you can have confidence in.  My surgeon introduced me to it.  We are 54 strong women who all started chemo in September, but we would love to have you join us since several will be just a little ahead of you.  In reading this thread,  September chemo group (You might want to tag it as favorite) You can learn a lot.  Someone is almost always posting.  I have found it so supportive.  I never had any pain or nausea from the first chemo.  EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. But I took a pain pill and tranqualizer before I went.  Have taken neither since over the two weeks since and won't take any before the next chemo.  They have done so much with meds to prevent nausea, and from posts on this thread, you can find good advice on possible foods and methods to deal with problems. If you choose,  I'll add your name to our list back a few pages.  I'll pass on a brief part of a lecture I got from the chemo nurse.  You will get through this.  Not fun, but you will get through this and YOU WILL BE YOURSELF AGAIN.  Hang in there.  Lots of Hugs

• Cindi74
    edited September 2012
    Options

Whoops,  I forgot I had moved from the September 2012 thread to the tips for getting through chemo.  Can I blame it on chemobrain?

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi Judy,

I think you will have to get the results of your biopsy and the pathology report from your lumpectomy surgery. What I know about vitamin supplements is that the BS may tell you to stop them before the surgery.  I just had my first chemo on Tuesday and was told not to be taking any vitamins at all.  The reason is some can counteract with the chemo, maybe lessen the effects. Hope it helps, and good luck beginning your journey. 

• Waitingforthenextstep
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi Judy,

I think you will have to get the results of your biopsy and the pathology report from your lumpectomy surgery. What I know about vitamin supplements is that the BS may tell you to stop them before the surgery.  I just had my first chemo on Tuesday and was told not to be taking any vitamins at all.  The reason is some can counteract with the chemo, maybe lessen the effects. Hope it helps, and good luck beginning your journey. 

• JudyinNC
    JudyinNC Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am eating and breathing the information and advice from this site right now. I will post back after my apt. tomorrow.

• Cindi74
    edited September 2012
    Options

Judy, go to "Active Topics", "Chemotherapy- Before During and After" 
      choose  thread     "Septembrer 2012

Start back at beginning of thread  and see how our group has progressed.  Some are just starting, and some are on their third chemo.  Lots of loving, sympathatic people.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited September 2012
    Options

bumping for the newbies!!!

• Waitingforthenextstep
    edited September 2012
    Options

Melrose

Thank you, your posts have been a great help to me.  Had my first chemo Tuesday. They didnt use any anesthetic before did the stick into my port, so it was extremely painful. Worse than any other treatment I have had.  The Dr. didnt prescribe it.( I dont know why not), so the nurse couldnt get anything for me. Ive heard about Emla cream, but I read there is also a freezing spray which is faster.  Any info about this?  I have my dr visit next tuesday, and 2nd chemo on Oct 9th.  I just dont feel like myself, my body feels leaden and draggy.  Nausea too, but the compazine helped after awhile.  Will I be getting neulasta shots after my chemo from now on?  What is the  purpose of taking Claritin with it?  Claritin is an allergy medicine, right?  Any info would be great.

• Tskaiser75
    Tskaiser75 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2012
    Options

Waitingfor, I had my last chemo treatment on May 1st, my dr. used a freezing spray on my port-my port didn't work right the whole time-only one time they get the backflow and only one stick. The port was not straight so had to go in at an angle. Glad that part is over-had it taken out a month after my last chemo! I had the neulasta shot after most of the chemo treatments-depends on which drug you get. My dr. made sure I had plenty of anti nausea meds I had three different ones but still ended up in the hospital 3 times for "failure to ? " (can't think of what they called it-chemo brain). It's only been 4 months since my last chemo treatment I look back now and think how did I do it - but it was worth it feeling better and hair is growing back. I had awesome support and still do from my husband and kids - support is what helps! You will get that from here too. Tomorrow will be one year from diagnois I look back and think what a crazy year but I think I am a stronger person because of it!  Take care and ask questions there is no one answer that fits everyone you just have to average out the answers and try to you find the one that works best for you!