Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• MarieInOntario
    MarieInOntario Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Options

I'm 74, don't have a treatment plan and don't know when I'll be starting chemo but I hope that I'll have fewer side effects because of my age. I've been terrified about the thought of having chemo but it's nice to know there are solutions to most of the problems. Thanks for being here.

• marley2
    marley2 Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi all,

On day 4 after my first TC infusion. The anti-nausea meds have worked, just heartburn. The symptom bothering me now is the feeling of physical irritation, can't lie still. Anyone have this?

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Jojo- you should never be throwing up all the time with today's meds available. If you are having break-through nausea tell your doc and they will give you a different medication. I threw up a couple of times at first and thought it was "expected" with chemo, since we see this on TV. but it isnt anymore- there are great meds to control it. They gave me something different and I never suffered again (in fact I gained weight!). Ugh.

Marley that jumping out of your skin irritability is probably from the big bolus of steroids used as pre-meds, if you had them. They reduce the tissue damage that the chemo does to our organs and stuff, and that jumpy feeling goes away a few days after you stop the post-chemo decadron or whatever steroid they give you. it is important to take those but yikes! I know.

Good luck girls,

Hugs

• AmeliaPeabody
    AmeliaPeabody Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Options

thank you for these - had first chemo 10 days ago and feel awful, will try these. My dr gave me Zofran, lorazepam and Compazine - they don't work.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013
    Options

Where are you Amelia? Some folks (in CA, etc) are also able to get a medical marijuana license, or it may be legal (Colorado) the distribution sites sell the purified drops of the anti-nausea compound CBD in it so that you dont have to smoke. It isn't the part that makes you "high"- that is the THC part. It is a mircacle drug for some when conventional medications fail.

Just another thought. GOOD luck!

• MaggieB3
    MaggieB3 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2014
    Options

my doctor told me to take Claritan to  help with the side effects of the Neulasta shot. My partner Pam came up with a great idea. Instead of taking what I was taking for my allergies, why not switch to Claritan so I will be taking it every day and it will be in my blood system already for a month when I get the Neulasta shot. It worked beautifully. Before the Claritan, my hips, shoulders and back hurt tremendously from the neulasta shot. After starting the Claritan I had little to no pain. it was amazing. 

I want to say to everyone, good luck, be strong, we will all get through this.

Maggie 

• KRISH
    KRISH Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    Options

My mother has been diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma , left breast and has recently undergone modified radical mastectomy and planned for chemotherapy once the surgical wound heals and biopsy with receptor analysis is available . Size is 2.1 cm . She will need chemotherapy . Your post regarding how to prepare for chemotherapy is highy informative and encouraging. Thanks !

• bettyjo22
    bettyjo22 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2014
    Options

yes I have it the nurses call it chemo flush

• bettyjo22
    bettyjo22 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2014
    Options

Anyone have any suggestions for extreme fatigue

• BEJ
    BEJ Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    Options

All this information is so helpful but reading about whats going to happen to my body has me in tears. I can't believe that such a little mass (8mm) has turned my world upside down. Usually, I am very upbeat & positive but ll of this has my anxiety through the roof; feels like a constant roller coaster. So thankful that I'm Stage 1 but was hoping to avoid chemo & radiation. I feel so overwhelmed. Taking the vacation I'd planned months ago & when I get back will have a few days with my daughter (visiting home between semesters) before my 1st treatment. 

• Cuculi
    Cuculi Member Posts: 82
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hello BEJ, This forum helped me a lot even though, as you say, makes you wanna cry as hard as you have never cried before.  I am 37 now.  This "journey" started May 2013.  I am married and with a son who is now 3 years and 10 months.  You cant imagine how it affected my relationship with my husband. I am an independent woman and very strong.  I continued with my life: work and going out with friends.  However now I decide what I really want to do.  Not just to be polite.  This journey has changed me inside, coz the people see me just like "before".  You should check the video on TED "the best gift I ever survived" http://www.ted.com/talks/stacey_kramer_the_best_g...

It is important to know the side effects but we should not get mmm hooked up with those issues.  The power of the mind is amazing: think, think, think that you are fine, the you feel ok and make an effort to continue with your daily routine, taking into account certain side effects.  

Thus, drink water, lots of as the tips here say.  I also used almond oil twice a day minimum to reduce dryness on the skin and artificial tears for the eyes.  As some said, nutrition is very important, I went to a naturopath and homeopath.  It helped me so much... my results were quite okay and did not need any additional shot for the mmm the neutrophils.

In conclusion, take into account the tips to prepare your body and reduce the side effects. However there are certain side effects harder to cope with.  I believe that it depends on your life right now.  And think that this will finish.  Doesnt last forever.  I get flashbacks that I dont want to remember today however, and this is hard to understand now because you are starting, but you will end up stronger and a better person.  As a friend told me: you learned in a short time what you probably would have learned in a lifetime.

Feel free to email by PM.

• DownunderinT
    DownunderinT Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

thanks for all the info and wish I had known this when my mum went through her chemo as family kept giving her scented cream gifts! That's why i found them in the drawers unused when I visited. Re gift if it happens but tell people. Thrush and ulcers I et before this start so my daughter and I have battle preps for that. The wary of metal utensils lets me use groovyBPA utensils with grandchildren ..another fun colours thing to do. Colour and laughter. If you want to try laughter in gentle ways for endorphins check laughter yoga ..here is one of many free links. laughteryoga.org,

• beari001
    beari001 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi. I started chemo on April 30. TCHP ( four drugs) because I am HER2+ I'm on Day 5 counting the day of chemo as Day 1. Woke up this morning sweating and somewhat nautilus still but a lukewarm bath helped to turn that around. I found acupuncture on Day 2 to be stress and nausea relieving. Having another acupuncture today. I was surprised to find Day 3 and 4 harder than Day 2. What I wasn't aware of was the weird trembling inside my head and behind my eyes. I now know it is from coming off the steroids. Knowing this really calmed me down. I also have reflux. Am going to put blocks under the head of the bed. Don't lie down after eating if you have reflux! Walking two times a day for 20 mins or so has been the best time!

I live in Minneapolis and have found great strength in meeting women who have been through this. I have a survivor buddy who has checked in with me nearly every day since my diagnosis. This has been verily helpful.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi beari. I started just after you. Mine was yesterday, May 4th, and I'm getting Taxol. I was terrified, but it went really easy on me -- so far. I've been taking it easy today, but I'm starting to think I should get up and take another walk since I may not feel as well when the steroids wear off. I don't like the steroids. I am not too happy about this whole worry about raw vegetables thing. My birthday is the 9th, and I will have the salad my mom and I like to make. It's sooooo good. The dressing is home-made. It's basically a caesar salad. I'll wash it all very well. I'll also be getting the absolutely delicious strawberry cake my mother makes so well. I guess I'll be doing a lot of vegetable and strawberry scrubbing. LOL. I figure the Taxol will not have had time to knock out my immune system, so I'm taking the chance.

Best wishes to you in your treatment. I'll see you around.

• SharonRS
    SharonRS Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks you so much for sharing !

• dunesleeper
    edited August 2015
    Options

They have so many anti-nausea drugs. They don't completely control my nausea, but I credit them with preventing my from vomiting. I have a patch I wear behind my ear. You wear it 3 days, then take it off and put a new one on behind your other ear. There's the standard medication, ondansetron, and they have also given me lorazepam. Plus the steroids they give you with chemo should help. I struggle with the nausea, but I can't say I've been as consistent as I probably should have been about taking those meds or even using the patches consistently. I need to remember that I need to take it BEFORE I feel sick. Not after. I just took another dose of lorazepam, and I think I finally feel human again. So, you just make sure to tell your doctor your worries and any symptoms that show up. They will not let you stay sick. They will find what works for you. Trust in that.

• dunesleeper
    edited September 2015
    Options

When I first heard the ladies talk about ports I was totally grossed out and determined not to do it. However, after reading more about it here and especially reading about how badly chemo can mess up your veins, I was pleased as punch that I was able to get my port. I feel nothing at all when undergoing chemo or blood-draws. I love my port. LOL

• Mama3M
    Mama3M Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2016
    Options

Anyone had FEC (5-fluorouracil, epirubicin, cyclophosphamide) six cycles.....please can you share your experience as I was prescribed this one.

Thank you

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,069
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi to all of you! We are trying to come up with ONE master list of all your great suggestions around chemotherapy. Please help us out. We have looked at three threads and want to get it all together to best help everyone.

Please make suggestions here, or in this forum: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics...

Things to prep and purchase BEFORE you start chemotherapy:

• 1.FOOD AND THE KITCHEN:
    • fresh fruit (bananas!) and vegetables
    • bread for toast
    • crackers
    • rice
    • unsweetened applesauce (in individual containers)
    • prunes, dried apricots, prune juice
    • lemons or limes to add to water
    • teas
    • protein and iron-rich foods (e.g. walnuts, pecans, almonds, meat)
    • sugar-free chewing gum, sugar-free hard candy, breath mints
    • disposable flatware, plates and cups (for times when you're tired or immune-suppressed; plastic flatware helps offset metallic taste in mouth)
    • Non-latex gloves to wear when doing dishes to reduce
    • Sign up for www.takethemameal.com and send the link to friends and family.
    • Supplements: Check with a dietician or a nutritionist about supplements and multivitamins. Some dieticians and nutritionists recommended taking Calcium Citrate, Magnesium, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) during chemo (and forever) to combat bone loss. Some also recommend a multivitamin, but make sure that there is no soy include
    • 2.HYGIENE, CLEANING:
    • Biotene oral wash (also get travel size for purse) specially formulated to manage a dry mouth. Warning: Mouth rinses and washes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride -- like Crest pro-health -- may stain your teeth.
    • Unscented moisturizer (also get small/travel size for purse). Some opt for natural oils (e.g almond or olive oil).
    • Sunscreen for face and body Visit the EWG Sunscreen Guide.
    • Lip balm/moisturizer
    • Thermometer or two.
    • New or washed shower curtain liner (minimize bacteria, mold)
    • Package of new toothbrushes (mouth is really vulnerable to infections, sores so change frequently)
    • Tissue boxes and on-the-go packs kleenexes (disappearance of nose hairs = dripping nose)
    • Purell-type hand-sanitizer without scent (also get travel size for purse)
    • Clorox-type disinfecting wipes (and some for on-the-go)
    • A box/packet of the flushable moist wipes
    • Squirt bottle for cleansing irritated skin after going to the bathroom
    • Waterpik (in lieu of flossing if you have bleeding)
    • lint roller to keep your pillow clean, if you are losing hair
    • 3.MEDICATIONS:
    • Artificial tears for dry eyes (consider Renew or Similasan brands)
    • Immodium (for diarrhea)
    • Colace, Miralax or Senekot-S, (for constipation)
    • Tylenol (painkiller) or Ibuprofen (ask your oncologist which is preferred; some chemo drugs work the kidneys, others the liver so your doc may prefer one drug over another)
    • Acidopholus capsules for yeast infections (if you're prone to them)
    • Pepcid Acid or Nexium reflux/indigestion
    • Regular Claritin (helps with joint pain)
    • Blood pressure machine
    • Ambien CR for sleeping
    • 4.COMFORT:
    • A satin or silk like pillowcase
    • Comfortable slippers
    • Get your hair cut short, if you know that you will be losing it during treatment.
    • Get soft, seam-free (or as seam-free as possible) hat for sleeping
    • Hair net to wear at night!
    • 5.PREPARE A "My "chemo bag": (A great project for a friend). Assemble a small make-up type bag (say 4"x4"x6" or smaller) that you can move from purse to backpack back to purse to car or whatever that includes some of the stuff that's good to have on hand when you're out and about: digital thermometer, Tylenol or Ibuprofen (ask your onco), toothbrush, toothpaste, Breathsaver-type lozenges, lip balm, unscented hand lotion, eye drops, antibiotic ointment, Purell sanitizer or handwipes, Saltines or animal crackers, tissues, thin cap to ward off any sudden chills, mouth rinse. And maybe a maxi-pad in case of any port or drain mishaps. (Why this stuff? Important to ward off mouth sores, avoid fever/monitor temp, chemo dries out eyes, mouth, skin; lack of nose hairs causes drippy nose.

Things to do During Chemotherapy:

• 1.Drink a LOT of water!!! Drink, drink and drink some more. When you are finished, drink more still! Make it interesting by adding lemon or lime. Or try out different teas.
    • 2.MOISTURIZE like crazy. After every shower, cover yourself in a high quality, paraben free, hypoallergenic moisturizer from head to toe. Moisturize your hands and feet every night, and wear cotton gloves to bed. Aquaphor is recommended, or Udderly SMOOth with urea
    • 3.Exercise, or move around, every day. Seriously, even on bad days. Get up and go for a walk around the block. Every day go a little further. When you're feeling better immediately get back to your normal exercise routine. It helps so much! It gives you more energy and lifts your mood.
    • 4.Wear slippers around the house, especially if you have hard floors. This helps prevent neuropathy in your feet. And forget about wearing heels during chemo.
    • 5.Do something special that you can look forward to after each chemo, such as watching one season of your favorite show after every round on your bad day
    • 6.Make laughing and relaxing as important as cleaning!
    • 7.Support your immune system with iron- and protein-rich foods (but check with doctor before taking supplement
    • 8.PORT CARE: The nurse may clean the port by injecting Heparin into it. A horrible taste can sometimes be avoided by holding your nose while the Heparin is injected. A numbing agent may make entry in and out of the port less painful. Locating "Good veins". A/C can be hard on the veins. At some hospitals, women on A/C automatically have a port surgically installed. You may be given the opportunity to use your veins. The goal is to keep your veins in good enough health that you can use them for all 8 treatments. Another goal is to "start low" on the arm so that if one vein is blown, then they can work their way up. A nurse can go to a higher vein for attempt #2, but she cannot go lower
    • 9.Take care of your nails! Get the OPI Nail Envy and Avoplex cuticle treatment set here http://www.amazon.com/Opi-Say-Hi-to-Fortify/dp/B00.... Use the Nail Envy as directed, and apply the Avoplex twice a day or more often if you can remember. Keep one bottle of the Avoplex, at work and one at home. Keep your nails very short to avoid snags and tears. If you are going to get a manicure or pedicure during chemo, you'll want to bring your own tools (not a bad idea anytime). Even if you are not, you should probably at least have your own nail clippers or scissors at home that you do not share
    • 10.Closing the toilet seat before flushing will dramatically reduce distribution of bacteria in the bathroom. Some are told to flush twice first 2 days after chemo, depending on type they are using.
    • 11.Replace (or wash w/ bleach) the shower curtain liners.
    • 12.Get soft, seam-free (or as seam-free as possible) hat for sleeping
    • 13. Wear latex-gloves when cleaning to avoid nicks and scratches
    • 14.Use a satin or silk like pillowcase
    • 15.Check out the website http://breastcancerfreebies.com/ had lots of offers for free products and services to help.

What if you experience these side-effects

• 1.INDIGESTION and REFLUX: Pepcid or other H2 blocker antacids (Nexium, etc). Don't lie down after eating if you have reflux.
    • 2.NEUROPATHY: Ice your hands and feet during Taxotere. I used these http://www.amazon.com/Elasto-Gel-Chemotherapy-Hypo... and these http://www.amazon.com/Elasto-Hypothermia-slippers-... and never had any neuropathy or nail changes. It does make playing on your iPad or reading difficult with the mitts on, so I just listened to a podcast during that infusion.
    • 3.DRY MOUTH, especially at night, try these for sleeping: http://www.amazon.com/Oracoat-855933000517-Xylimel... They worked like a charm for me. During the day I sucked on hard candies or ACT lozenges.
    • 4.METALLIC TASTE:
    • Use plastic flatware instead of metal. Biotene mouth wash and/or mouthrinse (and/or toothpaste and chewing gum, lemon/lime cordial, Breathsavers mints). Oasis products were also mentioned
    • 5.MOUTH SORES: Get some Dixie cups and pre-fill them with 1 tsp of baking soda. I filled an empty 12 oz mouthwash bottle with about 3 tsp of salt and a 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract (for flavor) and poured some into the Dixie cup, swirled to mix, and gargled/rinsed with it in the morning, after every meal, and at night. I bought this mouthwash to take to work to avoid the mixing hassle, and I really liked it http://www.amazon.com/TheraBreath-Dentist-Recommen... Never had a single mouth sore. •The mouth sore cocktail: Equal parts of any liquid benadryl and liquid Maalox. Only mix up what you are going to use (about 1 teaspoon of each). Swish in mouth for a minute or two like a mouthwash. Then spit out. I put lemon or lime drops or slices into my water glass. Change your toothbrush frequently. Eating a popsicle or ice chips or something else very cold, while being given Adriamycin
    • 6.BLEEDING GUMS: Flossing during chemo can cause bleeding, I learned the hard way. I got a waterpik instead and used this to floss. Much gentler on the gums. I found mine cheaper at Costco, but here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-Aquarius-Water-Flos...
    • 7.HAIRY TONGUE
    • Frequent cleansing with combo of water, baking soda and salt is recommended. Sucking on lemon wedges to re-encourage salivary glands. Brushing one's tongue with a toothbrush, hydrating with water. Cytoxan seems to mess with the salivary glands.
    • 8.NAUSEA: QueasyPops for nausea helped me a lot, and if you email the company at info@preggiepop.com and tell them you're undergoing chemo for BC they will send you a free box! Emend (for nausea), a steroid (dexamethasone aka decadron is the most common), and a medication like Kytril or Zofran (the Aloxi you may get in your IV at chemo is in the same family of drugs).
    • Also, start taking your Zofran the night of chemo and take it every 8 hours on the dot for 5 days afterwards. I never vomited when I kept this up, even though I felt queasy occasionally.
    • 9.DIARRHEA: Take Immodium immediately, don't let it go. The bottle says only 4 per day, but my MO said up to 8 daily is fine. • Imodium is good for stopping this. Key worry is dehydration, so keep drinking water! Stay away from sugary things, as refined sugar can aggravate diarrhea. From a dietary perspective, you can try the BRAT diet: Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. Use flushable moist wipes; they really help with general soft tissue irritation.
    • 10.HEMORROIDS: They are not uncommon if you experience a lot of constipation. Prevention is key! Lotsa fiber! If it does develop, Tux pads can make you more comfortable, or baby wipes. And Colace or Fiber One or a stool softener can help you avoid straining.
    • 11.CONSTIPATION: Eating fiber in days before chemo can help prevent/lessen constipation. Prune juice (you can mix it with Milk of Magnesia for a "cocktail"). Colace (docusate sodium) is an over the counter stool softener to have on hand. Senekot-S is a gentle laxative with a little Colace added in.Snacking on things like prunes or dried apricots can help. Lots of water (or tea) helps here, too. A square of chocolate ExLax the night of chemo, and another one the following evening. Eat active culture or probiotic yogurt every single day. A cup of coffee (if you've gone 'off it') may help! Avocados (eaten straight out of the skin, w/ a little salt, pepper, & olive oil). Magnesium.
    • 12.HAIR LOSS: If you're interested in keeping your hair, check out Penguin Cold Caps. • About 18 days after my first A/C, I had my head shaved. When hair on head starts to fall, a lint roller (I liked the velvet covered kind) helps to remove lingering hairs. Hair in pubic area often starts to fall out first.
    • 13.SLEEPLESSNESS (esp in first few days post chemo) Ambien CR or Benadryl
    • 14.NEUROPATHY and Hand Foot Syndrome (associated with the Taxanes). Avoid going barefoot. Wear slippers or "Crocs" always. Gently massage feet and hands with lotion to keep them soft and improve circulation. Wash hands (and dishes) in lukewarm water, not hot. Ask oncologist about taking 50 mg of B6 to address neuropathy (tingling, numbness that often appears first in feet and hands
    • 15.PAIN/ACHES: Check with your physician before taking anything! Each painkiller is processed differently in your body, and reacts differently depending on which chemo agents they are using. Regular exercise (e.g., a walk) seems to help lessen or prevent Neulasta pain. Naproxyn (e.g. Aleve) may also help if taken 30 minutes before the injection. Claritin seems to help some with joint pain, taken the day of the chemo, and for a few days after.
    • 16.HOT FLASHES: Sleep naked
    • 17.YEAST INFECTIONS: sleep naked, allowing circulation "down there". Also discuss with your doctor using Acidopholus capsules or other treatments.

• coffee-lover
    coffee-lover Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi - can someone explain about raw fruit and vegetables? Why would they be bad for you? I have cut out dairy and grains entirely due to allergies. That means I pretty much each chicken, turkey, fish and lots of fruits and veggies. Most snacks are raw veggies with hummus or nut butters. I don't always want to cook so there's always a salad waiting for me.

Thanks for any help.

• mwr
    mwr Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2016
    Options

I'm not sure about the raw fruits and veggies? I think it's because there could be bacteria in them. If you cook them then you kill any bacteria. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that had the 12 taxol treatments then 2 AC treatments and then decided to stop chemo. I just had my second AC treatment and was in the ER for eight hours for nausea and dry heaves. I can't see doing this again in another nine days. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to discuss this with her but wanted to see if anyone else decided to stop the AC after two treatments. If so, what were you told by your doctor about quitting? My family will support me either way but I know they want me to continue. It's just so hard, I've been in bed now for five days and still feel bad and not able to eat anything besides popsicles. I have two PT appointments that I know I will have to cancel this week because I'm so weak.

• lmencken
    lmencken Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2016
    Options

Awesome tips..thank you!!!!!

• Mojo56
    Mojo56 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2016
    Options

I just completed my third round of AC chemo. It just really stinks. Have you talked to your doctor about other nausea meds? I get where you are coming from because I told my dr that I was quitting after 2! I have changed my mind but I also am scheduled to do 12 rounds of taxol after this which is really kind of freaking me out. I wish you the best whatever you decide. Remember it is your decision

• Shell72
    Shell72 Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm day 3 after my first treatment with Cylophosphamide, Docetaxel & Herceptin Infusions . Thanks so much for all the great advice. Will be trying lots of these tips. My main problem today other than the fatigue is constant discomfort from pelvic pain and achey legs and feet which I'm sure is from the pegfilgrastim injection. Paracetamol is just not helping so I'm going to restart my Naprosyn tonight which I'm usually on anyway but stopped as I was worried about bruising due to possible low platelets. I have found wheat packs help a lot with the bone pain too. So pleased to have found this great site. Although this is my 3rd different cancer experience, I am new to chemo and the future radiotherapy I am facing,and knowledge from this forum eases my anxiety. Thanks Smile

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,069
    edited December 2016
    Options

Welcome Shell! We're so sorry you have to be here, but we're really glad you found us. We're happy to see we've already become a great resource for you as well as a source of support -- our Community is incredible, and full of very knowledgeable and helpful members.

We look forward to getting to know you as you navigate your treatment journey and beyond! Please don't hesitate if there's anything we can help with as you explore our boards.

--The Mods

• GAGA615
    GAGA615 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Options

Are chemo treatments cumulative? I have just finished my 4th and after 5 days off of work I am still weak. Have two more treatments to go. So I need to know how long the recovery period will be

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited September 2017
    Options

Bump.

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hello, everyone. I just found this wonderful thread last night and it is wonderful. I am waiting for SLNB results, after lumpectomy for IDC and DCIS and have been told I have TNBC. Surgeon said before SLNB that he thought the nodeswould be clear and recovery room nurses said he only took one, so I have everything crossed. Have no idea what happens next. I don't think I will even get to meet my treatment team for a while, but am finding lots to do just from what I read here. All the best and hugs to you all.

• notanisland
    notanisland Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi 53Nancy, My guess is that once your pathology results come back from surgery the rest of your team will gather and it may or may not include a medical oncologist and/or radiation oncologist. My surgeon decided that the best option for me was neo adjuvant chemo so I've been under the care of a medical oncologist for the past 5 months. I'm on the last couple of treatments before scans and followup with my surgeon. Then I'll have my surgery scheduled and need to get surgical clearance from my PCP. In my case, because core needle biopsies showed IDC in at least one lymph node (with the same histology as the tumor in my left breast) I know I will also have radiation therapy following surgery, but haven't yet been referred to a radiation oncologist. My BC is ER+ (100%), PR+ (70%), HER2-, so I will be on (anti) hormone therapy for 5 years, under the guidance of my medical oncologist. (So I'm glad I've got a good one! My only worry is that he's nearing retirement age.)

Have you checked out the BCO Triple Negative threads? There's lots of useful info that's very specific to you triple negative ladies.

I'm crossing my everything for you! XXX

• notanisland
    notanisland Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2017
    Options

GAG615, What type of chemo regimen are you on? When I was on DD AC I did not experience cumulative side effects. This was possibly because it was dose dense, only 4 treatments, each 2 weeks apart.

As soon as I went on Taxol, (not dose dense), 12 treatments over 12 weeks, my side effects became cumulative. By treatment 8 some SEs had increased enough to delay treatment 9 for one week, which brought the SEs down to manageable levels. Yesterday I had treatment 10 and I'm feeling fine today. This weekend will tell me whether or not SEs are accumulating again, and how quickly.