Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4,011
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Nicki -
    Cool - Lindy's Landing...that's not far from me...Did you know that they tore down the old one and built/are building a new one? I haven't been up that way, but I heard it's going to be really nice.

Rita -
    The Long Grove Chocolate festival is May 4, 5 and 6. Glad your scans went well.

WendyK -
    Lindy's is on a little lake in downtown Wauconda (near 176 and rte 12 - if I remember correctly). It's a fun place in the summer.

Mary -
    Awww....hope you feel better soon!

--------------------------------------

Hi Girls! Hope you're all having a great day!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited April 2007
    Options

Hello Everyone: Just popping in to say Hi!

Lindy's Landing: Yes they torn down the old and built a new one. My DH will be playing there this summer. They have the best Steak Fajita's! I lived in Wauconda for such along time.

LauraGTO: My SIL Peggy that you met? She could walk to Lindy's Landing. Now that would be a fun place to meet over the summer.

Mary: I was just thinking of you and sure enough you made a post. Good to see you my friend.

Rita: Ya know, I've been through alot, but I didnt have RADS. I had a bil. mast and they said I didnt need them. This whole treatment thing is so stressful. Everything we do is new and scary. Im sure your gonna do just fine though.

LauraGTO: My husband is talking to Peggy on the phone. They said to tell you they miss you. BTW! That song I was telling ya about. It's all done already.

OK! Dinner is ready. I have to go. Have a wonderful evening.

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options

Definately! OMG - I love steak fajitas!

• wendyk13
    wendyk13 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Morning ladies....

Rita...glad your sim went great. Your "map" sounds interesting, at the very least! I assume that those markings fade away and that is why you get your tattoos? Or will we be wearing turtlenecks all summer?

Oh well...just something else fun to look forward to! As well as checking out Lindy's...dh is in education so we definitely will drive up that way after he's done at school for the summer...much easier and much less traffic during the week.

Everyone have a great day...I am off to #5 chemo and looking forward to the weekend...they promised Sat and Sun in the 70's, but we shall see!

Wendy K
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Girls -

WendyK -
    Meeting at Lindy's would be great!

Nicki -
    Duh me...I overlooked your second paragraph to me above...
    Awwww...say hi to all. OMG - That song...really!?! Hmmmmm...I'm curious, can't wait to hear it.

-------------------

Hope everyone has a great day...
  • kats
    kats Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2007
    Options

Rita: Glad to hear your rad simulation went well. When I went in for my first rad tx they did my tattoos. I was given the option of tattooing or not. I didn't want the the bother of covering the permanent marker marks up when showering etc so I chose tattoos.

Laura and Rita: Thanks, I'm feeling a lot better today. No more fever yeah and no more feeling like I need to sleep my day away.

Nicki: From what Laura has said your husband's singing talent sounds amazing.

Mary
  • JanClare
    JanClare Member Posts: 267
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Everyone! How's everyone doing this fine morning? I kind of got behind on the board, so I'm just now catching up.

Ginny- good luck with the Taxol. I hate to say this, but I think it's best to be honest- I HATED the Taxol. Well, I still hate it! The joint pain and the numb feet and hands were awful for me. And it still continues. As bad as some of the infections were that I got with the AC, at least they were over with when the AC was done. It's been almost 3 months since I ended chemo and I still struggle with my numb dead feet. It's actually not so bad during the day, when I'm keeping moving, but at night when I put them up, they hurt and burn so badly- it's hard to sleep. I pray that you are able to avoid this!

Rita- glad to hear that the rads simulation went well. I meet with my new radiation oncologist next Monday to find out what course of treatment I'm facing.

Laura- I'm sorry that I didn't read about your going to try to meet Nicki until after it was all done! I would have loved to go along!

And if anyone wants to do the Long Grove Chocolate Fest, I'd love to try and meet (not sure if I'm going to be back at work by then or not). I live in Lake Zurich, so I'm one town over!

Mary- glad you are feeling better. Everyday a little better and better, let's hope.

Wendy P- I hope you are recovering from that wicked treatment# 4- Like Laura, that's when it really started to hit me.

I'm pretty sure I've forgotten people- sorry about that!

Wanted to know- does anyone here attend their local Y-me meetings? The group for Good Shepherd Hospital in Barrington meets on the 3rd Thursday (tomorrow) at 7:30 pm. I really like this group. They alternate months as far as one month will be a round table "gossip" type session and then next month will have a speaker/ topic. Last month it was a physical therapist about scar management and stretching, this month will be a round table, next month will be a speaker on "surviver issues", etc. Nice group of ladies, very supportive.

I'd like you all to please give me your prayers and positive vibes tomorrow morning- I have to go in for a Brain MRI. I’ve been having daily headaches. The kind that get more painful if you sneeze or cough- but in the back of my head, not towards the front like you would get with with sinuses. One of the long term side effects of the chemo is raised blood pressure and I think that’s what’s happening here. My medical oncologist thinks so as well, but says he always has to be concerned when he hears a patient is having headaches- and apparently those symptoms can also mean mets to the brain. So, the brain MRI.
  • ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited April 2007
    Options
    JanClare....SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!
    You have my prayers for tomorrow and I'll be sending you good vibes across the miles. Although these tests scare the cr** out of us, it's always better to be cautious. Hang in there and good luck tomorrow. Remember, us Illinois gals are tough!

On a more positive note, the rad simulation tests are not that bad so when you get to them, just shrug off your anxiety and go for them.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    JanClare -
    Many positive vibes for you tomorrow! I hope the very best outcome!

-------------------------------------

Hi girls!

We need clean scans, clean MRI's, less aches and pains, and SUNSHINE!

Have a good evening...at 7:00 I'm heading across the road to play Bunco. But if all 12 girls don't show up, we will play left,center,right - wish me luck...I'd love to win the jack pot!
  • beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited April 2007
    Options

Changing the title back. Moderators have been notified.

• ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    Laura...I agree with you. Clean scans, less aches and pains and sunshine! Supposedly the sunshine will be arriving this weekend. In the meantime, I'm pushing it a little. I'm heading for the golf course in my Cub buggy today and giving it a try. Hey Laura, I hope your pockets are heavier today from all the money you won at bunco. What type of payoffs do you get and what do they pay for? We pay for first and second place, the most bunco's and your entry fee back for last place.

Good morning Nicki and Mary. I beat you this morning so I didn't wake up to your graphics. I'll catch them later. Have a great day!

Good morning also to both Wendys.
    Wendy from Chicago area....I am so sorry. When you first started posting I thought you were the other Wendy and couldn't imagine why a gal from Champaign was frequenting the Chicago "hot spots." Dah! I guess I missed learning about you. Are you a survivor who's finished with all this stuff or are you currently a survivor in progress? Sorry that I made the wrong assumption about you. You've become a great addition to our thread.

Ginny...haven't talked to you in awhile. How is the bone pain and when is your next treatment? This week?????

JanClare...my thoughts and prayers are with you today. Please let us know how it goes ASAP. We're all behind you!

Well ladies...I'm off and running. First to golf and then tonight I'm teaching a class at the Children's Museum. That leaves little time for self-pity!

Hope you all have a great day and don't get stuck in any of the big-city traffic!!!

Catch you later,
    Rita
  • kats
    kats Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2007
    Options

Rita Have fun today, sounds like you have a lot planned.

Laura I use to play Bunco many years ago. We didn't play for cash, it was for prizes only.......

JanClare Sending good vibes and
    imagefor you today.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Rita -
    When we play Bunco - each girl pays $15 and the winner takes all, and there's also 2nd and 3rd place prizes. When we play left-center-right...everyone starts with 5 singles and the winner gets the "pot", but we usually play several games. I lost big time last night! But we had a great time!

kats -
    hope you're feeling better!

---------------------------

Hey - I'm meeting Jan Clare for lunch today! I have a hair appt...so we're meeting right next to the salon! We live only minutes from each other...I hope her scans go well...

Have a great day!
  • zkacmom
    zkacmom Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Rita....my bone pain is much better. I have to take a pain pill in the morning and then one at night. My next treatment is the 27th. I am so looking forward to it...ha.
    I only missed Monday and part of Tuesday of work. My worst day was Tuesday as far as the foggy head and seeing nothing but black and white. The bone and muscle pain was worse on sunday and monday. I see Dr. Migas tomorrow. My left breast is still oozing and has a pin hole in it. I am gonna talk to Dr. Migas about it tomorrow..
    My mil is leaving on saturday. I don't know what I am going to do without her...She cooked, cleaned and did laundry. Now my house will be a mess. I am gonna have make the kids do more...Yeah right!!!
    I am looking forward to my overnight trip. I can't wait.
    Ginny
  • UnderFortyPam
    UnderFortyPam Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi everyone, Laura just told us about this thread. Thought everything Illinois related was in the Get Togethers section. Well, let's see, I a 2006 member of the BC club. On Tamoxifen now so I guess we are never thru with this. Still getting side effects from it but taking it anyway.

So what's everyone up to here. I'm probably the Northern most person so far, in McHenry. But drivable to most of you in Hawthorn Woods, Lake Zurich areas.
  • JanClare
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Pam, nice to meet you! I'll have to remember to check out the Get Togethers section!

Ginny, glad to hear that the bone pain is better! Hey, don't worry about a messy house. I'm living with my husband and two sons in their early 20s. Can we say dust and dirt all over? They pulled out the vacuum several times while I did chemo, but that was it- the dust was so thick around my home, I was ashamed- and I'm not known as a clean freak. But it was not worth stressing about and I've just done as little or as much as I was able and left it at that. I'd rather get their hugs then their cleaning abilities.

I just finished meeting Laura! (Oops, I'm sorry Laura, we didn't have any lunch, we were talking so much, we barely had a diet coke! I hope you weren't starving to death while sitting there!)

Laura is just as nice as her posts and I knew she was my kind of person when she whipped out one of the gel-filled prosthetics she found at Target to show me. That's something I would do, no question, so I think we really clicked!

I told her my story and she told me hers, and we were both emotional, of course. Turns out we have the same radiation oncologist, went to the same doctors group for chemo, and have consulted with the same plastic surgeon.

So we are sitting in the back of this local pizzeria, just gabbing away, and in walks my oldest son and one of his friends! So I grabbed him and made him take some photos of Laura and me. I'm hoping I figure out how to put the photo up properly. As soon as I do, I'll post it! Is there a way to post photos here with having it already online? Some websites let you do that, but I'm not seeing it right now- so I'll have to get my son to help me upload it to another site and then bring it over here.

I won't have the results on my brain MRI until probably Monday- that's the awful thing about having scans done on Thursday or Friday, they always say 48 business hours until you get an answer. I had to laugh though because I insisted that they use my power port for the contrast (and I had told them I wanted it used way last week when I set up this appointment!) and no one in the hospital seemed to know how to use it properly. First the MRI team had to send for a nurse since they don't usually use the ports, then when she comes I have to tell her that she has the wrong needle- it was obviously much too large compared to the ones the chemo nurses usually use, so she had to call around to confirm that, yep, she needed a different needle. Then she forgot to bring the Heparin lock and had to go back for that. She actually asked me wasn't I going to be removing the needle myself? Like I'm supposed to go home, flush and lock the port. Er, no- that's not usually what happens. I'm not doing a daily home treatment. Finally, after my scan is done and I go to put my glasses back on, the techs can't find my glasses. They are searching all over and I finally ask if maybe the nurse could have them. It takes a while for them to track her down and not only did she pick up my glasses from the side table, but she's been wearing them for reading glasses and trying to figure out what's wrong with her eyes! What can I say, she was a little befuddled. Not what I would want in a nurse.
  • JanClare
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hoping I did this right-

Me on the left, Laura on the right.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Pam -
    Glad to see you here! We'll have to plan another get together!

-------------------

Girls -
    Yes, I met JanClare today! I had a hair appt here in town - so JanClare met me at the restaurant next door. She is so nice! And yes, we clicked right from the start! Her son is a sweetie. We talked non-stop for an hour and fifteen minutes! Add to the list of coincidences...we have the same Gyn. too! LOL Her hair is growing in - boy do I remember that stage - it's the same pencil lead color that I remember. But, I was quick to remind her - it's nothing a bottle of hair dye can't fix! We ALL have to get together sometime!

JanClare -
    Waiting is soooooooooooooo hard. I'm wishing the very best results. Try not to think about it too much and have a great weekend - the weather is going to be nice!

------------------

Hi Everyone -
    Hope you're all doing well!
  • Ann8103
    Ann8103 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Wow, Laura...you are the busy socialite! I'm having dinner with you tonight.

It's fun to meet gals in person from this site....and yes, I agree Laura is just as nice in person. See you at the Gilmer Road House!

A.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I know! I am quite the socialite! It's so funny. I think it's great to be able to meet and talk with girls that have/are experiencing the exact same situation. I think of it as fun therapy! I've always been very out-going. And I have learned so much from all of you girls!

So in a little while, I'm off to meet Ann again! The past week has been filled with social events. I think the weather is bringing me out from under my rock! LOL
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi everyone! It sounds like everyone is so busy!

Laura and JanClare....neat picture! So glad you got a chance to get together. I can just see you gals checking out that silicone boob....tooooooo funny!!!

Wendy K...I have already lost one of my radiation markings. It's hiding somewhere on the golf course. I guess my arm wore it off during all the swings I had today. So.....tomorrow I guess I'll have to call and tell them about it. I think it has to be replaced before radiation can begin so hopefully they can get it done and I can still start on Monday or Tuesday. Naturally they have not yet called me with a time schedule so guess I'll have to give them a nudge.

Welcome Pam....come back often and post.

Ann..hope that you and Laura have fun tonight. It is so great that you can get together.

Ginny, sorry to hear that the taxol has been so trying for you. Do you think that it is worse than the AC? I'm glad that you're showing your scar and the oozing to Migas. I will be interested in hearing what he has to say about it. Wouldn't you think that the antibiotics would clear that up? Maybe he will have a different approach to solving the problem.

Mary, I saw on another thread where you had the CMF chemo, too. For some reason I had missed that info. Our CMF group is much smaller than the AC group so it's good to know that you went through this regiment, too.

Well, I'm tired. It was a busy day.

Good night all. Thanks Nicki and Mary for your continuous graphics which brighten our days.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options

Good Morning to all of my Illinois sisters. I havent been around that last couple of days. Life has been a bit crazy.

I had my bone scan yesterday and it was very unsettling. The tech saw "a fracture of something else" in my left rib. So you all can imagine, Im going bonkers here. I have no pain, no previous injury. This really shocked the heck outta me.

Jan: Im hoping all went well with the MRI of the brain! Sending good vibes your way.

Ann and Laura: Im laughing my butt off. Husband will be playing at the Gilmer Road House this summer too. Have fun and enjoy life.

Rita: Good luck with the RADs.

Ann: I thought Taxol was much harder on me than the A/C. We are all so different. Chemo is hard no matter what.

OK - Im really hyper this morning. Think I will go for a walk before I get ready for work.

Hey to Mary

Have a wonerful day

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Rita -
    Should we call Sherlock...the case of the missing radiation markings! LOL Glad you "hit" the course...good therapy for you!

Ginny -
    I hope you're feeling a little better! The anticipation of your trip (and us of course), will help get you through this.

Nicki -
    OH NO! Whenever the techs point out something - it makes the "wait" so much more stressful..that really stinks! I can understand your shock - is there any way you can call today so you don't have to wait through the weekend? (And, btw...It would be dangerous if I lived walking distance to Lindy's! OM - Gilmer's too! LOL Too funny.)

JanClare -
    Best wishes to you too with your scan results.

-------------------------

Hey Girls,
    Had a great time meeting with Ann! We had a real "wacky" waiter...we gabbed for a few hours, and laughed because we took turns having hot flashes! It was so funny! I told Ann the story about how I beat a radar speeding ticket in court! After I beat it, the bailiff met me out in the hall and high-fived me and said in his entire career, he never saw anything like it! LOL It was fun.

Have a great FRIDAY! Weather is supposed to be good...
  • wendyk13
    wendyk13 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hey Nicki...

Well...that just s**ks big time, doesn't it? But I know you, you nurse you! Get on somebody's butt and kick it out of them until they tell you what's what. Maybe something really old that you just don't remember???

Let us know....hugs!

Wendy K
  • Ann8103
    Ann8103 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2007
    Options
    My husband, a lawyer, laughed his a** off when I told him Laura's story about beating a ticket! Way to go! He suggested given my "lead foot" that I keep you around because I will inevitably need a defense. I told Laura about going to the courthouse to pay DH's speeding fine...what an experience.

That waiter was worse than "wacky". I had a book to give to Laura (Red Devil) and he saw it and asked what it was about. BC I said. "Oh, good, guys don't get that." I set him straight about that. He was a PITA (pain in the a**)

A.
  • zkacmom
    zkacmom Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I went and saw Dr. Migas today. I waited for over an hour but it's worth it. As far as the drainage from my breast, it's a wait and see. With me doing chemo now, there is really nothing they can do. My red blood cell count was low and I got a procrit shot. I have been pretty tired today especially after work.
    Need to get to bed. We are off to meet my bil halfway between here and Flint Mi. He is taking my mil back home.
    So, now we have to everything ourselves..bummer. Hope my dh is up to it...lol...
    Night,
    Ginny
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Nicki...HUGS!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I think the scares are going to be part of our lives forever now and I really hate it. I so wish you didn't have this stress, but think positive and let us know as soon as you find out something. I'll be thinking about you! Hang in there. Remember Laura's saying: Us Illinois girls are tough.

Rita
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Ginny... I think we were posting at the same time tonight! Glad Migas made you feel better about the drainage and I hope that the shot takes care of your red blood count.

I know you will miss your MIL's help but don't stress out too much about your house. I have always worried about mine but I have a different philosophy now. Naturally I like to have it look good but I'm not nearly as upset when it gets cluttered now. I figure that I have more important things in my life. Besides you might be surprised. Your family is pretty neat so they just might step up and surprise you!!! Hang in there!

Rita
  • JanClare
    edited April 2007
    Options
    My scan was clear! Well, actually, what the doctor said was, "There was nothing in the brain, it was clear."- which of course sounds like I'm completely empty-headed!

I'm so relieved to know that it's not brain mets (okay, that's an understatement!) but now I have to set up another appointment with my primary care doctor about the hyper tension. I like my doctor, but I'm so tired of all the different appointments.

It's a beautiful day here, but I have a headache, so I don't want to do anything.

Nicki- hope you get good news too!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options

Good Morning All! Spring is finially here and Im just loving it. Tilling dirt and pulling weeds, getting ready to plant my flowers. Bought a bunch of flowers yesterday, but too scared to plant them yet.

Well I didnt pull any punches. Paged my PCP while he was making rounds at the hospital early Friday morning. Had to get more x-rays of my rib. I have 2 fractured ribs! So thats good news. The 8th rib is healed and the 9th rib is healing. I remember now how this could have happened. Had a very bad cold that lasted for weeks and was coughing so hard I thought I pulld a muscle.

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.

Janclare: Congratulations on the good news.

Nicki