Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited April 2007
    Options

Have a great Sunday

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4,011
    edited April 2007
    Options

Cute Icon!

• Judy_Mc
    Judy_Mc Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi all you Illini Ladies.Just thought I'd say hello.

LauraGTO.,I raised my kids in Forest Lake.Lived there for 27 years.I grew up in Evanston,married and raised my family in the Lake Zurich area.

DH and I moved to Kentucky 19 years ago when the youngest graduated from DePaul. Living my dream to have my horses and dogs and the open countryside. Love it here.Miss my friends and family and Chicago area but not the traffic!Get back a couple of times a year and eat Pizza and hot dogs and Italian Beef!!! I love to travel and have been to Europe 3 times in the last 4 years.

I was DX March 2003,5cm tumor,ER/PR+.had mast and 36 rad treatments.I refused Chemo.I have been on Arimidex for 4 years now.Had my treatments and continue to see mt Dr at Merle H. Mahr Cancer center in Madisonville, Ky.
    Some days I don't even think about BC at all. Never thought that day would come but it has.
    So far,so good.We'll see.It gets easier,really it does!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Judy -
    Welcome...sounds like you have created quite a life! When I moved from Chicago to Hawthorn Woods five years ago, it was the open countryside compared to the big city! My property is zoned for horses, but I'm not as brave or energetic as you! LOL Yup, we're all about pizza, hot dogs (without ketchup) and Italian beef! LOL I would love to travel to Europe, my dh was born in Paris (he got his MBA at DePaul). Glad to hear you're doing so well...4 years later. Do you mind if I ask what type of bc you had? I had ILC - I'm always looking for long term ILC survivors!

Nicki, rita, kats, everyone -
    Hope you all had a great weekend and Easter (if applicable).

JanClare -
    Hope you had a great time in FL.
  • Judy_Mc
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Of course NO catsup on hot dogs!
    I had IDC. I found my lump myself even though I had mammograms every year they never saw it on a mammogram. Amazing how they could miss a 5 to 6 cm tumor isn't it.

LauraGTO, if you ever get a chance to seee Europe,GO. It is amazing.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options

Good Morning Everyone: Hoping you all had a great week-end. Judy its nice to meet you. Another busy day today. Off to work and then f/u appt with my onc. Gonna ask him for a bone scan today - since EE has scared the heck outta me.

Have a wonderful day, I will check in with ya all later.

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Girls!

Hope everyone is doing welll!

nicki -
    h e l l o...back at ya. Did the Onc write the rx for a bone scan? Are you sure you want to have that done?

-------------------------

I guess our mother hen, Rita, still has the wind blowing through her hair! LOL

rita -
    hop you had a great time spoilin'!
  • kats
    kats Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good weekend, Rita should be back tomorrow to tell us about her trip to MN and her time spoiling her grandsons.

Laura and Nicki did you two get together on Friday at El Barrio?

Mary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options

Good morning to all my Illinois friends. Popping in quickly.

Laura: The appointment really good. No Im not sure that I want to have any tests done, but the onc did order a bone scan and x-ray of my right femur. But somehow, for some reason Im not worried. So it all better be ok.

Kats: We didnt catch up at El Barrios cause its this coming Friday and Saturday. The 13th and 14th! Guess I didnt make those dates too clear.

Hope everyone has a grand day.

Nicki
  • ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hello everybody! I hope everybody had a good Easter! I think this past year has driven me crazy! Can you imagine any warm-weather person looking forward to going to a place covered with seven inches of snow and 10 degree temps on Easter????? The only wind blowing in my hair on this trip was the frigid air that about knocked us down when we got out of the convertible!!! But being a good grandma, I braved the northern winds and temps and had a great time with those two little boys.

I have some pictures if I can figure out how to get them on the computer later this week and then get them loaded onto a post. Maybe my neighbor will help me out later in the week. We had lots of fun. We read lots of books, had squirt gun fights in the basement, worked puzzles, and watched the Easter movies. We also took Alex, the three year old to bowl his first two games at the bowling alley. What a riot and how much fun he had! He had a 64 and a 72 (using the bumpers) and got so excited!

All in all, it was a great "get-away" and one that both my step-dad and I needed. Now it's back to reality. I hope everyone is doing O.K. I see the radiologist this coming Monday and am already beginning to worry about the scans that I think I'm going to have to have before the radiation begins. Silly, eh? I keep telling myself that's it's better to find the cancer now if it has spread to other parts of the body, but I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with more at this time, so I guess I'd better think positive. Like Nicki, EE's situation has me scared, but I guess we need to remember that each of our situations are different.

So how did everybody's Easter go? Anything new and exciting that you need to share? Anybody having treatments this week?

I'm off to unpack and regroup here before my morning walk. I'll try to get caught up on everybody's posts later today.

Have a good day!

Rita
  • kats
    edited April 2007
    Options

Rita Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your grandkids. Too bad the weather couldn't have been better for your visit.

Easter is simple here for my family, we do the Easter Bunny thing but not the religious thing. We cooked out steaks and had a backyard Easter Egg hunt. Our granddaughter made & painted paper eggs (they turned out round but the thought was there). Here's a couple pictures of her hiding the eggs:

This is my time of year for my annuals: mammogram (had that last Thursday) & PAP and my bi-annual follow-ups with: Oncologist (will see him in May) & Surgeon (go tomorrow for that). My 4 yr anniversary of diagnosis is coming up on May 7th.

Mary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Girls -

Nicki -
    HiYa! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...are you sure it's this weekend? LOL

Mary -
    I may stop by El Barrio this weekend. I didn't realize you are 4 years from dx! That's great! You are an inspiration...You're not only a neighbor, but an Elite ILC sister as well.

Rita -
    You are quite the go-getter! If you need help posting photos - let me know, I can help you. Although it would be easier for you if you had someone hanging over your shoulder helping you. How many rads are you facing? I had 28 and it wasn't bad. Toward the end I became somewhat exhausted and had a sunburn that didn't hurt too bad. I used the cream faithfully and it really helped. I have an unused container of it - I would be happy to send it to you if you want.

----------------------------------------------------

EE's recurrence scared me too! So much that I booked another trip back to MX! Totally extravagant...but life can be too short! We leave in two weeks for 8 days! Same resort - Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar - in the Riviera
    Maya!

This was taken last time there - in March on my birthday! Too much Tequila that night!

Hope you all have a great day!
  • Judy_Mc
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. I don't stop in much anymore as I am 4 years out too and somehow feel I just can't contribute as much as I used to. I have been dropping in to see how Sunshine is doing in the recurrence thread.
    Don't worry about the bone scans. My onc has me have 1 about once a year if I have any issues. The Arimidex causes lots of pain but I guess I'm getting used to it.lol!I've also had several bone scans that have showed "something" and then it was on to a MRI. Just some old injuries on my ribs and back due to my hobby.Horses! So please don't worry about those scans as many times they will show something that turns out to be nothing.They almost always show something if you have anything like arthritis,old injuries etc..
    By the way. Love El Barrio. It has been many year since I was there.
  • sandy_simpson
    sandy_simpson Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    It has been a long time since I have been on line yet every time I read messages my heart goes out to you because I have walked that whole road and had a rough time getting through. When life spins totally out of control, I had to look up. I don't do the religious thing either, it is beyond that. It is called connecting with my Lord who came down here and showed what real suffering is all about. He was the one who got me up and going and gave me the most awesome calling working with dying people in Hospice. Now I sit and pray and comfort those who are ready to pass out of this world. We all will walk this road and the Hope is that heaven is our home and we will go there forever to be with the Lord who made us. I can smile and get up each day knowing that my life and my work are for a reason. If any of you do not have hope, are down and depressed and no where to turn, get a bible and read all the promises that are in there for you. Then believe that He is faithful to fulfill every one of them. Without Him we can do nothing in this world, with Him we can overcome cancer and any other thing that comes against us. Power is in prayer and strength is found in Jesus! That is how I live and can have joy in my heart no matter what shape my body is in. Beauty is inside of us! You are all beautiful for fighting such a tough battle! Blessings, Sandy
  • kats
    edited April 2007
    Options
    image in Illinois

Mary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options

very funny kats! LOL

• ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Good morning ladies! (even if it is dreary and rainy in Bloomington today)

Nicki...your granddaughter appears to be taking her "egg-hiding" job seriously. She is a cutie. Thanks for sharing the pic. Also good luck on your bone scan.

Judy...So sorry that I never officially welcomed you to the Illinois thread. Come back often. You DO have lots to share. Your info on the bone scans has eased my mind some as I know I have scans facing me in the next few weeks and I'm naturally nervous about both the procedures and the results. Welcome!!!

Sandy...what a wonderful calling you have! Keep up the great work.

Mary....love your spring welcome! However, just keep that snow up north. I guess I prefer the rain that we are getting right now!

Laura...the pic of you and your hubby enjoying the warm temps, tequilla, and lovely environment makes me envious. I'm definitely going to have to plan a "get away" for this summer or fall. You're right. Life is too short and we need to live it to its fullest. I need lessons on how you stay so slim!

Where's C-o-n-n-i-e? Ginny......let us know what you found out on Friday when you went to see Migas and how things are going for you. If you don't pop on soon, I'm going to bug you on the phone!!!

Everyone have a great day! JanClare should be back with vacation stories this week, too I think!

Rita
  • kats
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Rita That's my granddaughter, I think she's a cutie too & yep, she did take her Easter Egg hiding very seriously

It's still snowing here at my house, weather forecast says a possible 3"-6" accumulation. My poor early spring tulips were just beginning to open and now this
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    kats -
    You grad daughter is cute...I bet you spoil her! I love the face on your tree! We have atleast six inches here - yuck!

Rita -
    Best wishes to you with the upcoming scans...try not to be nervous. Are you clostrophobic?
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Sorry Kats....I didn't mean to give your granddaughter away to Nicki! I bet Nicki loved that one, too! Anyway, she is a cutie.

Thanks Laura for the good wishes on the upcoming scans. Yes, I am claustrophobic. I had trouble with the breast MRI's and it's a good thing they had a wastebasket close when they let me out.

Snow...3 to 6 inches..........YUCK!!! It's supposed to be spring. We're still just getting rain here.

Have a good night everyone!

Rita
  • JanClare
    JanClare Member Posts: 267
    edited April 2007
    Options
    A quick wave to all. Florida (Ft Meyers area) was great- 75 to 80 degrees most days. We actually got home last night, but I've spent most of the day trying to make some headway in the reports I need to type for my husband's business.

I'm doing better, but it is still a much slower process then I thought it would be. I still have quite a bit of pain under my arm. I start physical therapy next Monday, plus I'll see my oncologist tomorrow and the bc surgeon a week from Friday, so I'm sure they will all have more information for me on what I should be doing. I think part of the reason everything is so slow to recover is because this is the same arm that had the shoulder surgery! I already had a certain amount of scar tissue to deal with!

Laura, I am starting to drive again (though I wouldn't drive today with the snow- my range of motion is not that good) so I hope you and I can get together for that coffee next week!

Hope everyone is doing well with their treatments.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    JanClare -
    Sorry you have to come back to this weather mess! My girlfriend took me to Dominick's shopping today because my dh took the 4wdSUV and I was afraid to drive our other car. All the traffic lights were out in LZ! It was treacherous. Good thing you didn't venture out! I was glad she was driving - she has a 4wd. Good luck with PT and your f/u appts. Did you get the postcard re: Good Shepherd's Survivor event in May? Continue to heal...you had the double wammy! Take care, don't push it.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Rita -
    Other than a breast MRI - have you had any other scans or MRI's?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options

Good Morning Everyone: Well first of all, what a wild weather day we had here in the Chicagoland area. By noon, we had about 3 inches of snow in Deerfield - thats where I work. The snowflakes were the size of a quarter. The roads we so bad, I decided to go home and do some paperwork instead of driving about to different hospitals.

There were big chunks of icy snow falling on the car. I thought for sure it would break my windshield. The further I went southwest, the better it got. So I went from snow to freezing rain and then just plain rain. I had to pull over twice to wipe the snow off the car. What a mess and on April 11th!!

So Im hoping today is gonna be a better day.

Kats: You have a beautiful granddaughter. Cute pics.

LauraGTO: Yes, no chemo brain this time. Husband is playing at El Barrios Friday and Saturday. He is making me go both days! Says I need to get out of the house.

Judy and Mary: Whoo hooo on 4 yrs! That is just wonderful.

Mary: Im laughing so hard at your picture. Snow indeed! My mind is on flowers. So when you mentioned time for your annuals at first I was thinking about planting flowers. Good luck with all your tests.

Jan: It sounds like Florida was wonderful. And then to come back to this goofy weather. Good luck with your doctor appointments.

Well, guess I better hit the shower. Got to work really late yesterday cause of the weather. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Nicki
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Good morning Illinois ladies!

Wow! It sounds like the northern area got bombarded with snow and ice. What a mess you must have had! We had only rain with just a slight dusting of snow last night. There's a thin layer still on my deck but the grass is still green and of course the roads are clear. Sorry you guys got hit with all that in the middle of April.

I am so excited. I'm off to the old stomping grounds to get my hair cut and colored today. It needs it so bad but I didn't want to create problems with the coloring during chemo. Hopefully this color job will last me through the rads. Sometimes the small things........like a new haircut and color.......can brings lots of joy. Since one of my former teacher friends is also the beautician, we catch up on all the local gossip that I miss since I moved from the area.

Laura, I have had no other scans of any type except for the breast MRI's. That's part of the reason I'm so nervous about what is to come, I think. I don't do well with the unknown.

Neat morning graphic, Nicki!

Hope everybody is having a good day. I haven't gotten hold of Ginny this week but think today is her 4th AC treatment. I need to check on her since she hasn't been on the boards.

Well, I'm off for my walk and then on to the day. Everybody have a good one!

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Rita -
    You didn't lose your hair? If you have claustrophobia - you may want to take a tranq. b/4 you go. The breast MRI machine is open, all of the other scan machines are somewhat closed. I'm claustrophobic - and the first scan I had - well let's just say I freaked out! I couldn't handle having the machine above my face. I literally scooted out from under it! Talk about an embarassing situation! They brought my dh in to help calm me down because I was shaking so much. LOL Looking back it's funny, but at the time, I didn't know I had claustrophobia. I rescheduled the appt, but took a Xanax b/4 hand and it went fine. Don't want to scare you, but fore-warned is fore-armed.

----------------------------

Good morning girls!
  • zkacmom
    zkacmom Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I am still here just havn't had time to post anything. I went to the oncologist on Friday. Things are going good as far as chemo treatments. I have the normal side effects and he isn't worried about anything at this point.
    I have my 5th chemo tomorrow. It will be taxol. I am done with A/C...Thank God....I hope I don't have too many side effects with Taxol. I will have radiation within 2 weeks after my last chemo. I will probably do 1/2 days at work. I still have this nasty cough.
    That's about it for now....
    Oh yeah....I have 2 girlfriends who I knew when I was in the Air Force(over 20 years ago) are coming and taking me somewhere on the 24th and 25th of April. My dh knows but won't tell me. Just that I need to pack an overnight bag and bring a bathing suit. I havn't seen one of my friends since 1981. She lives in Hawaii and is flying over just to see me.. The other friend lives in ST. Louis...I am so excited...

Ginny
  • wendypetru
    wendypetru Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi all!

I had my fourth AC yesterday, so far so good.

It is cold and rainy here in Champaign but I feel lucky we didn't have the snow that all of you Chicagoland ladies did!

JanClare - sorry you had to come back to this weather!

Ginny - sounds like you have a fun outing to look forward to!

Laura - looks like you have a new picture? Pretty!

Nicki - love the coffee graphic!!

Rita - good luck on the scans - when are/were they?

Sorry I don't have much to contribute here. It's hard to find the time to post but I do want to stay in touch with you all!

Wendy
  • kater
    kater Member Posts: 447
    edited April 2007
    Options

Ginny, Hi, I'm glad you are half way through chemo? I meet with doctor today about mine. I was concerned about the taxotere and heart issues, what else did you have? Did they discuss cytoxan vs. taxotere vs adriamycin-cytoxan?

• zkacmom
    zkacmom Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Kater....I had A/C for the first 4 and then going to Taxol for the next 4. He said that I could have bone/muscle pain and flu-like symptoms...It's gotta be better than what I went through with A/C....

Ginny