Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4,011
    edited April 2007
    Options
    ginny -
    You "sound" good! Your surprise get away is awesome! Your friends must truly love you...that's incredible. Can't wait to hear the details! Keep us posted.

Wendy -
    Thanks for the compliment. Congrats on the 4th chemo - do you now start Taxol? or...? Pop in when time permits...we won't forget you! LOL Soon I'll be posting info about our team in the 3 mile walk this Sept. Hopefully you will be able to join us. In the meantime...be well.

-------------------------

EVERYONE -
    Love ya all...hope you're having a great evening...hope this snow melts real soon.
  • ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

I'm so excited because I think I look 5 years longer today! (I have a special mirror, you know.) The grey is gone! My beautician was moaning because my usual thick hair is so thin and probably won't do what we like it to do. I just told her that at least I still had hair and we'd just color what was there! It looks pretty good.......considering!!!!!

Gosh...it looks like more snow might be on its way this evening! Gee...I wanted to go to some yard sales tomorrow morning and search for good paperbacks and toys for grandma's toy chest. I may change my mind if the snow moves in!

Wendy..so glad to hear that AC #4 went well. Keep us posted. You certainly do have alot to contribute. Just telling us how things are going with you is a great contribution. I had been wondering where you went. What's next??? Taxol???? If so, when does it begin? Also if you can join us in the September walk in Chicago, you are welcome to ride up with me.

Ginny...so good to talk to you yesterday. Good luck with your first Taxol this morning. Let us know how it goes. Also, I can't wait to hear where your friends take you on your surprise trip. What a wonderful idea!!!

Laura, thanks for the "heads up" on the scan. I think I will need something to help me get through it. I don't know why everything in this journey seems so traumatic to me. The same offer goes out to anybody else in the general area.

Have fun this weekend, Nicki (and any of you others who go to join her).

And to all of you, have a great day and an even better weekend.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Girls -
    Just poppin' in to say: Have a great weekend! I may run and meet Nicki tonight...

Rita -
    Isn't it amazing what a dye job can do!

JanClare -
    Hope you're doing better every day. If you feel up to it, maybe we can meet for coffee next week.
  • dklaus
    dklaus Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hello everyone

My name is Debbie and I am from New Lenox. That is just east of Joliet, 40 minutes south of Chicago. I was dx 7/06, IDC with 2 lumpectomies( clear margins) no lymph nodes involved.Tumor was 1.3 cm, stage 1, grade 3, er-,pr-, her2/neu=.5 and Ki67= 4%. Did 6 rounds of CAF followed by 6.5 weeks of radiation. Finished up on March 16. I am extremely grateful to these sites where we can get advice and strength from those who have already been there-done that!!! I am now trying to adjust to "no" treatments.
    I just found out today that my liver enzymes on 4/3/07 were slightly elevated. Made me paranoid but I figure that I can't live my life waiting for the "beast" to come back(which I now it will in some form).
    Good Luck to all of you, everyone dealing with this is in my prayers(their families too). Read the best quote today--trust in God-"if he takes you to it, he'll take you through it" and when you think your life is a mess, God takes the mess and makes it a message. Pretty great thought, huh!!

Love to all of you,

Debbie
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    It sure is! Hi Debbie - welcome to our little corner of the world. We have a saying here: us Illinois girls are tough! Good luck with the enzymes! Hang in there and keep us posted.

---------------------------

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND! We need a weekend icon!
  • kats
    kats Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Debbie,

During chemo and for awhile after my liver enzymes were elevated. I had a CT and all was well, my elevated enzymes were ruled as being caused by chemo.

Hope everyone has a great weekend...........

Mary
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    And wouldn't you know! Mary had the perfect weekend icon for you, Laura. Thanks Mary!!

Hi everyone! I hit the yard sales this morning. I found about ten wonderful paperback books to add to my "have to read" collection and a big box of toys for my little boys. I love to send them surprises boxes every once in a while and found some toys in excellent condition that just hit the spot.

Hope everybody is doing well today. Have fun if you're joining Nicki tonight! I actually think I am just going out to get something to eat and then staying in tonight. I have plenty of good books to choose from and I have a full day planned for tomorrow. (Guess that's a sign that I am getting old, eh?)

Welcome, Debbie. Come back often and check in!

I'm off to plant some flowers.

Catch you all later.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I missed LuaraGTO last night! Why? Cause I didnt go. I didnt think anyone was going. She did meet my family though and my husband and SIL just loved her.

Laura: They say you are a sweety.

Now tonight Im going! All dressed up and ready to dance. Hope you all have a great evening.

Nicki
  • wendyk13
    wendyk13 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi girls...haven't posted anything in months but just had to this morning. You poor girls Nicki and Laura...you finally got a chance to get together and you MISSED each other...too funny! If you guys ever decide to get together anywhere near South Elgin, count me in. I am meeting up with kater from Burlington over at Delnor this Wednesday as she will be starting her chemo there so probably count her in too, if I can talk her into it. But I digress...the question I wanted to ask of Nicki and Laura...the old Gale Street Inn location on the lake? I know another restaurant moved in, and then closed. Has anyone taken over that place yet? My husband and I loved to eat there when the weather was warm. We go to Dockers up at Fox Lake every week or two and love it but would be nice to have a 2nd place to go.

Sounds like you are all doing well....me too. TCH chemo #5 this Wednesday and no problems at all. Lucky me!

Wendy
  • zkacmom
    zkacmom Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hey Everyone,
    I had my first taxol on Friday. Saturday I went out to some garage sales and had a pretty good day. Today, I feel
    like crap. My whole body aches even my bones. I took some aleve and has helped a little. I sure hope this doesn't last long. I am gonna go back and lay down. Just wanted to let you all know how I am doing...

ginny
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Ginny -
    Aw...so sorry...I remember/know exactly how you feel! The bone/muscle/joint aches were horrible for me too. I finally had to take Vicadin. If the Aleve isn't cuttin' it...call your Dr. in the morning and ask for some r/x pain killers. There is no reason for you to suffer through this. Rest and drink LOTS of water. Take it easy... (See my post to Rita, below re: g-sales.)

Mary -
    Aw...thanks for the weekend icon! Yay... Hope your weekend was nice.

Rita -
    Reading books, planting flowers, hitting the g-sales! You're one busy gal, especially now that you're blond again! LOL. If you're REALLY in to g-sales, our town has an annual one on May 19th. They produce a map of the whole town showing which garages are participating. They even point out specific garages for items of interest, such as antiques, toys, furniture. I think about 200 garages participate (but our town is small, so they're all in the same vicinity). I know it's far for you but if you're a die-hard g-sale gal...might be worth the trip. Here's the linkie: http://www.hwwc.info/HWWC_Garage_Sale.html it's pretty amazing - lots of really great stuff in mint condition.

Wendy -
    El Barrio is on the same road as Gale Street (Diamond Lake), in the same area. I don't know about any other rests. in that area. I grew up not far from the Gale Street in Chicago! Celebrated many b-days w/my family there throughout the years...now it's ironic that there's one not too far from me again. El Barrio is a fun little place. Maybe we could all meet there sometime...my dh too. Good luck w/chemo #5 - have fun meeting kater!

------------------------------------

GIRLS (Nicki) -

I partied with Nicki's family Friday night! LOL

It was so funny! My dh decided to stay home...so, I walked in alone - looked around and thought...okay, what would a chemosabi look like! LOL (She would have had the edge because I have an avatar - drats!) But someone pointed me in the direction of the musician's family. I asked a gal sitting there - "do you know Nicki?" - she said "yeah...she's my SIL" - I told her who I was and she told me Nicki wouldn't be coming. At first I jokingly said, "I'm going to kill her - that dork!". But I totally understood...long week, long drive there, she worked late, etc. No problem...it was literally 10 minutes from my neck of the woods, so no big deal for me. All the while, Nicki's dh is singing up a storm and strummin' his guitar! It was so funny...he sang a song about drinking alcohol...I was cracking up! So I figured since I was there, and everyone was being really nice and welcoming me, that I'd order a glass of wine and hang out for a while (of course I asked if they wouldn't mind). I talked, talked, talked...to an uncle (I think) and others, probably too much, but I work from home and I'm cooped up in a house in a forest all week and haven't been to a bar in probably 10 years...LOL Then Nicki's dh took a break from entertaining, mingled and stopped by and I introduced myself. He was really nice - and so talented! So I stayed for about an hour and a half (maybe two), they wouldn't let me leave money, and then headed back to my neck of the woods. It was fun - I'm glad I hung out - her family is VERY nice and really genuine!...too bad Nicki wasn't there - but maybe next time! (Sorry Nicki - but we had a great time - LOL!)
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Hope you all had a nice weekend. Gosh Nicki, it sounds like you missed a good time on Friday night. That's really funny!

Good luck Wednesday, Wendy. You simply amaze me. You are just flying through these treatments with ease! How wonderful!

Ginny...sorry you were plagued with the bone aches after the taxol. Sure hope you are doing better now. Did you check out Laura's all town garage sale site? Now that has real possibilities!!!

Hey Laura, do you ever do the all town sales???? How interesting!

Mary..have all you annual tests been coming back good? It won't be long and we'll have another year to celebrate with you!

Well one of my friends and I went to Peoria to the riverboat today. She hit a quarter machine for $1,200. We were so excited. Even after they took out the taxes she had a little over $800 left, so it was a good day. I didn't find any machines quite that lucky but did play for a long time on my money. She felt sorry for me and bought supper!

Are any of you ladies who are through with the treatments following any special dietary plan? I'm trying to get my act together and eat more nutritious food since some claim that BC and diet are related. Being a farm girl I'm having trouble giving up that meat. If any of you have found the perfect plan, let me know. I certainly need help.

Tomorrow I meet with the radiologist first thing in the morning. When I leave there, I guess I'll know the radiation plan. Then it's on to new things in this journey.

Hope everybody had a good weekend. I think they are predicting better weather for next week so we can get back outside.

Catch you later.
    Rita
  • mnance
    mnance Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I didn't know that the Gale Street Inn had closed. That was a favorite place to take my parents when they were alive. Loved to look over the lake. I don't live too far from the other one in Chicago, although I haven't been there for many years.

RitaJean, radiation is much easier than chemo. Be sure to ask them exactly how many treatments you will have, regular plus boosts. That way you can plan. (Although they added one boost on me without telling me).

You will probably get to know the technicians and nurses well. I rather enjoyed going and seeing everyone and miss them.
  • wendyk13
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi...just wanted to clear up something about Gale Street Inn...they built a new restaurant ACROSS the street from the lake so there is no view. So...they are still there, but not on the lake any more. My hubby and I could never figure that one out. I lived for 19 years at Foster and Austin so used to go to the other Gale Street all the time.

Glad you had such a nice time Laura even if you and Nicki missed each other.

Wendy
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hello all you Illinois ladies!

I just got home from the radiologist. I have my scan tomorrow afternoon and then they hope to start radiation one week from today on Monday so, I guess I'm off to stage 2 on this journey. Thanks 6 kitties for the encouragement and suggestions. He did say I would have 33 treatments, but I didn't know to ask about the boosts so don't know how many of them qualify as such and will ask tomorrow.

The sun is shining and it looks like a good day to get out some! Hope everyone is doing well.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Wendy -
    You're right - they did move - it's still by the lake but not right on the lake. I can't believe it! I grew up at Foster and Austin too! I will pm you with the exact location. My mom, sisters and brothers all still live there!

Rita -
    Good luck with Rads. Consider joining in on a rads group in the Going through Radiation thread (if you haven't already done that). But of course you do have us! I think you'll sail through it. I really don't go to the garages because I have so much cr**, and I don't need more! LOL I'm trying to get rid of "stuff" instead of accumulating more. It's quite an event - if you decide to go though, let me know.

Hey -
    Nicki - Mary -
    Wake up! LOL

HAVE A GREAT DAY GIRLS!
  • wendypetru
    wendypetru Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi, just checking in. AC#4 has really hit me with fatigue - at least the sun is shining!! I guess I'm not the only Wendy, I'll be:

Wendy P
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    WendyP -
    Sorry...yeah, #4 was a bad one for me too, don't forget it's accumulative. But it's great that you're looking at the bright side! Hope you feel better soon.
  • zkacmom
    zkacmom Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi....The bone pain got bad yesterday so I called the doctor and got vicadon. It helped but still have some pain. I stayed home from work today. I will be going to work tomorrow so hopefully I will feel better..
    Rita....that garage sale up in Hawthrone Woods sounds good.. We could make a road trip.....
    Well, I'll talk to you all later...

Ginny
  • Ann8103
    Ann8103 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I haven't been on this site for quite a while...just needed to step back as far from bc as I could. But, today, had a few minutes and thought I'd check in. Glad to see that there is a strong IL group supporting each other.

I'll be having dinner with Laura GTO on TH night, we don't live far from one another (I'm in Long Grove, she is in Hawthorn Woods). It's been fun getting to know someone from the boards.

I'm almost 2 years out from diagnosis. It has been a bumpy ride for sure. Surreal in many respects. Working full-time has helped me put it all in perspective and stay sane. I'm so glad that that has been possible.

Best of luck to you all.

Ann
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options

Good Evening Everyone! I have NO time, gotta go eat dinner. But I will catch up with ya all in the morning.

Gale Street Inn: Yep - we know the owners. They sold and moved across the street because they were given an offer they could not refuse! Now that big beatuful building is empty as the people that bought it went out of business. And its in the selling contract that Gale Street In couldnt take it over again.

Ashame. A big shame. Sitting on that deck in the summer and listening to music was grand.

Ok! See ya in the morning.

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Ann -
    Glad you checked in. Yes, it's great getting to know fellow board members. Cheers to Gilmer...! LOL

Girls -
    Have any of you ever gone to Lindy's Landing?
  • ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Good evening everybody.

Welcome, Ann. So glad you're back and that you've finally got all the treatments over. We go to Long Growe for shopping. My son first took me there to a Strawberry Festival and then every year except this year, a former teacher friend and I have gone back at Christmas to shop the shops and find unique Christmas gifts.

Wendy P....I had the two Wendy's confused. I couldn't understand why you went all the way up to Chicago for supper. Glad you straightened me out. I'm sorry you're having so much fatigue with #4. Was that your last AC treatment? If so, hooray!!! Hang in there.

Ginny...glad you got something to help with the bone pain. Let's hope that the first Taxol is the worst and maybe with the vicadon, the rest will be smooth saiing. Do you have them every other week?

Laura..I don't really need any more cr** either but I can't resist a bargain! Ginny thinks we need a road trip up for the sales. We'll have to see about that. If we come, we'll let you know.

Well, I've got to work on more curriculum plans for my museum classes so need to get busy. Hope everybody had a great day. It was sure nice here. I managed a long walk.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2007
    Options
    LauraGTO! I have heard of Lindy's Landing. A fun place especially in the summer. Guess what? My husband plays there too.

Have a great day everyone.

Nicki
  • wendyk13
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi ladies...

What a waste of lakefront property re: Gale Street. I loved it there. Where is Lindy's Landing? Sounds familar...on the water? If so...my husband and I will try it out if the weather ever breaks.

Rita...good luck with the rads. My sim isn't until 5/22. I get to have 25 and then 7-10 boosts, depending. Depending on what, don't know. But Delnor just redid this department so they have IMRT but I also just found out from the rads board that some ins. co's are not paying for this as they consider it experimental so I will stop by after chemo #5 tomorrow (yippee-only 1 more to go after that) and make sure before I get a bill for $75,000 or whatever.

Wendy K

(love not being the only Wendy!)
  • kats
    kats Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi everyone.........

This has been me for the past few days, see what living with an 8 yr old who brings those lovely germs home from school and shares them with everyone can do?

Laura sorry you and Nicki didn't meet each other but it sounds like you had a nice visit with her family.

Mary
  • jz20022001
    jz20022001 Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been sick, Kats. That's what we had with Rusty on Saturday night, but he had a hairball. We have to take Max in for another rabies shot so we can get the "boys" groomed.

Catherine
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2007
    Options

Post deleted by bco-administrator

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2007
    Options

just changing the title and alerting the mod

• ritajean
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I survied the rads simulation. The scan was MUCH easier than the breast MRI's. I took Laura's advice and took xanac before I went, just in case, but it went well. Now my left breast resembles a road map with clear sticky circes and bold black marks. Unless I hear differently, my first treatment is this coming Monday. I will be glad to get in there and get them finished. Thanks for all your encouragement.

Hey Kats....so sorry that you've been under the weather. Hope you are feeling better for these warmer spring days.

Hope everybody else is doing well today and that you're enjoying this wonderful weather.

Rita