Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting Chemo in Feb?

Options

Comments

• wayover20
    wayover20 Member Posts: 191
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Melody, glad to hear you came thru your first tea party well. Google Aloxi and you'll get alot of info. It's to prevent nausea and alot like Zofran. Works very good. Phenergan is also an anti nausea medicine that's been around along time and is excellent.
    Take care!
    Pat
  • leahrc
    leahrc Member Posts: 384
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the prod to get back in. I have to admit that physically I am fine, but emotionally having a little bit of a tough time adjusting to being Stage IV (given the liver involvement).
    Here's what struck me: I will live CT scan to CT scan, and I have to be flexible because each one will tell us what step next to take. This is so hard for me- I am a super logical, show me the path/flowchart kind of gal, or even tell me that if A, then B or C, and then D- and I am happy. What the oncologist said to me yesterday is that there are hypotheses, sort of cemented in ice cream, these get borne out or not with data, and we move on a dime. Wow.
    I have been lurking on the Metastic cancer thread for awhile, and guess I will also jump in over there.
    Other than that, I am ok, just having a hard time absorbing. It has been 5 weeks since my dx, and it seems like each hour is so full of new things. I am somewhat amazed at my own resilience!
    Love to you all. I am here, just not talking all the time.
    BTW, I worked all week with no effects. I did try to leave after 10 hours, which is kind of a short day for me! (l know, I am a wack job). I was paranoid about all the sneezes and coughing around. Yikes!
    Love to you all.
  • ErinsGram
    ErinsGram Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Morning Cruisers.
    Carynn - As Jen mentioned, they should do a MUGA or echo prior to the Adriamycin (doxorubicin) to test your heart function. I don't think they'd let you start it without verifying the condition of your heart.

Catherine and KimC - It would be great if they had more definitive information on compression and avoidance of seromas. When this first started, I had asked if compression was necessary or would help and the answer was 'no, I don't think so'. I hate wearing bras and if it wouldn't help to compress, I wanted to go braless. However, after aspirated quantities of 120, 130, 165 and 190, I decided to take one of my sports bras with me yesterday and put it on immediately after aspiration. This morning, I don't have nearly the bulge I've had previously for the morning after so I have to believe it may be helping. I guess I'll have to wait to see how it looks/feels by Sunday. My nurse did tell me she'd meet me at the hospital Sunday to aspirate if I felt I couldn't get thru till Monday but this is really looking good (I speak with cautious optimism). Kim, I hope it gets better for you. I'm starting chemo Monday right after being aspirated (if it's still needed) so it's time to get rid of it.

Toni - you can check out LGFB at www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org. They have a link to locate a program in your area.

Terry, Melody and Pat - thanks for your updates. Hope you all are feeling good today.

Nancy and Tracy - hope you are doing well.

Marsha - I assume you got your injection - you mentioned Procrit - were you low on RBCs? Did you go to the center for it or get the script and give it to yourself? I'm thinking I'll just get the script to avoid 2 hours on the road again.

Sallayann - good luck to you today.

Leah - it good to hear from you again.

Hope you all have a great day.

Phyl
  • linnieva
    linnieva Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Jen,

It's hard to know what the right decision is but I know that if I could have a "do over", I would not have elected to have the AND. My surgeon never mentioned not having it as an option and since I had 2 of 3 with micromets, I went forward with the 3rd surgery. Since that time, I've come out of my dx fog and will take control of my treatment plan and make more informed decisions.

Take care and have a great day,
    Linnie
  • linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Toni,

I signed up for the LGFB program thru Reston Hospital (703) 689-9330. Funny .... her name is also Toni (Toni Pannell). I'm signed up for next Monday evening, 7-9 pm but they're calling for a possible snow storm Mon/Tues so it may get canceled. I think the programs are once a month. I've been to the local wig shops, online, etc. so I can help you there, too. We'll get thru this; you have lots of friends here to help. The iniital dx and appts you're going thru now, for me, were the worst, with all the tests and unknowns. It does get better (at least I don't cry all the time anymore). I still have one test I'm waiting on and then I'll feel like I have a path to follow.

For anyone else interested, the ACS gave me the number of the Cancer Resource Network 1-888-227-6333 to call to find out where the closest programs are to you.

Love to you all,
    Linnie
  • wildabouthorses
    wildabouthorses Member Posts: 458
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Here's praying all my chemo cruising sisters have a good day.

I couldn't believe I was bawling during a live wedding on Regis and Kelly this morning. Clint Black and Lisa were singing "I Do" as the bride and groom came down the aisle and I lost it then. I have only cried one other time since my second breast cancer was found as I was telling a male biker friend who has been very supportive for the both of us since the bike accident and my diagnosis. Am I abnormal??? I usually cry easily over the dumbest things. My hubby has shed enough tears for the both of us since I was diagnoised. I wonder if having stopped my birth control pills in November has had an effect on my crying as I haven't had a period since then. They did test me in pre surgery prep to be sure I wasn't pg and I'm not.
  • CommandoBarbie
    CommandoBarbie Member Posts: 474
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Phyl and all:) Thinking good thought to all in treatment today!

I know about the MUGA, its my last test before chemo. It was supposed to be today, but they called and said the camera was down so I have to wait until Monday. I'm going to do what ever is recommended, but the number of people in my family with heart disease is staggering. And the one that everyone has literally has no symptoms other than sudden death. Nice, huh?! Once you know it's in the family, they recomend an Echogram every few years. So far, mine have always been fine. Actually looking forward to the MUGA:)

Anyway, like I said, I will run it by the Onc, I just wondered what treatment might be if someone has heart disease. Thanks girls. Hope you have a geat day!
  • marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited February 2007
    Options

Melody, When I had my chemo Wednesday, I asked about numbing the port first, I was so freaked out about sticking a needle in that golf ball sitting on my chest! The head infusion nurse ( this feisty little african american woman who has ran the room for 15 years) said "Honey you ain't feel this no more than a stick in your arm if I do it". Well she just popped that needle in there and boom we were good to go. I have the power port that has these 3 little bumps in them, helps the nurse know EXACTLY where to go in so maybe that is why mine was easier? Otherwise I hope you are feeling OK, I'm doing surprisingly on day 3 but maybe it is gonna sneak up and kick me in the ass? Who knows. Marsha

• marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Catherine, The nurse told me to drink 3 quarts of water a day. And that does not include tea, coffee, soft drinks etc. Maybe drink a gatorade a day to replace some of the minerals you might lose peeing all day. She said it is extremely important to keep the kidneys and bladder clear of the toxins.

And the port for me was worse than the mastectomy Catherine. Mine is in my chest but when I first got it, YES it is odd to feel it running in the vein. I swear I could feel my heart beating where the tube was. I felt it if I moved my neck a certain way or dropped my head down. It goes away after about a week or so or we just get use to it! I think what you feel is normal, but ask cause I don't have the arm one. Feel better soon, Marsha
  • marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Pat, you got your a/c at the same time in 10 minutes? That can't be right, did I read that wrong? I got the A first (the red one) and it took 30 minutes or so and then followed by the C which took I think 15 minutes. This is day 3 for me and I feel fine. No naseau, fatigue, eating normal, DRINKING A TON OF WATER. I am taking compazine (to prevent naseau) and restoril (for sleep). I'm getting a daily procrit shot to prevent having my blood cell from dropping bad. I would ask about slowing that drip way down and if you got a and c at the same time ask why. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Marsha
  • marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options

Leah, honey, I don't know what to say except sending you a big hug. I cannot imagine the extra burden of worry you are carrying around. Modern medicine is a fabulous thing and I know you are going to do just fine and beat this thing, but the extra emotional toil must be so hard. I remember waiting for the PET scan results, I was just sick. You should stay with us but I do think you should talk some of the others in Metastic thread. There is a girl dx at the same time with me who I talked to alot at first that got results back of stage IV also. Her name is BrendaD I believe. I even think she mentioned stage IV qualifies for disability benefits. Doesn't sound like you want to stop working though! You sound like a real go-getter and I know you will be fine. Sounds like you are hanling the chemo really well. Hugs, Marsha

• marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options

Phyl, I'm getting the procrit as a preventative. I asked for it! I have a 10 minute drive to get mine so not doing it myself. Only first 5 days after chemo and I like my infusion nurse, I don't mind going! But would not mind doing it myself if it saved me a 2 hour drive. I decided if their was something to help with the counts, why let them drop to nothing? Talk to yu soon, Marsha

• marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Linnie, I am signing up for the look good feel good program also. Third monday here. I got wigs from the ACS yesterday and scarfs, hats. They are also giving me a prothesis. (no insurance to pay for that) so I am pleased with our local office.

Jan, LOL...saw the wedding also and had a tear or two in my eye too. Of course I know I have been peri-menapausal for about a year now. Never use to cry at daytime TV hahaHA. Hope everyone has a great day........Marsha
  • hockeymomfl
    hockeymomfl Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I would like to join your group if I may. I started TC Chemo 1/29/07, which is almost Feb:). My next treatment is Feb 19th. I think I would be more on track with your group than the Jan group, as many of them are already on their second tx.
    What a great group of positive women you have here.
    Regards,
    Jel.
  • marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options

Jel, welcome to the Feb Chemo Cruisers! Yes by all means you should be with us, starting so late in Jan. Our first girls started Feb 1 so you are right at the same time. And you are so right, we have a great group here and have become fast friends, so welcome sister! Marsha

• wildabouthorses
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Jel! Welcome to the group! Anyone using music to sooth your soul? Please share what you like listening to to help ease the tensions away during this "cruise." I love listening to this guy...Israel Kamakawiwoole

Song samples are on the lower part of the webpage. Some of you may have heard number 14 during tv shows.
    http://www.amazon.com/Facing-Future-Israel-Kamakawiwoole/dp/B00000JFG3
  • hockeymomfl
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Marsha and Wildabouthorses.... Thanks for the welcome.
    It's good to have others to walk this road with.
    Is there a list anywhere to see where eveyone is at in their treatment?
  • marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Jel, this is not totally up to date. Done as of Feb 7 but thought I would go ahead and bump it up and maybe someone (Karen? HA) can update it? Love, Marsha

1. Karen (sween) Ohio, Chemo start 2/15, port 2/15
    2. Hillary (narberthmom), Southeastern PA, chemo 2/13 4XAC (2 weeks), 4X T (2 weeks)
    3. Marsha (marshakb), Florida, chemo 2/7
    4. Melody (maj01), Texas, 2/5 port, 2/9 chemo 4XAC
    5. Phyllis (erinsgram), Central PA, 2/12 4XAC (2 weeks), 4XP (2 weeks)
    6. Cynthia (cynthis1962), California, 2/16 - surgery, AND, port
    7. Linnie was Linda #1(linnieva), Virginia, 2/6 chemo 4XAC (2 weeks), 4XT (weeks), herceptin?
    8. Pat (wayover20), texax, chemo 2/8, big birthday on 2/11 and need for hugs!
    9. Catherine (catherineH), Colorado, chemo 2/13
    10. Leah (leahrc), Massachusetts, bx on 1/29, chemo on 2/1 our first to start us off, + thoughts! surgery in March
    11. Linda (LindaSuzy), Seattle, 1/29 surgery, chemo late Feb
    12 Kim (nynurse), NY, start 2/1 also our first of the group, + thoughts
    13. Mary (Reggio113) South Jersey, Port 2/5 chemo 2/14 (Happy Valentines)
    14. Jen (HorsegaL, Ohio, chemo 2/6 - 4XAC (3 weeks)
    15. laronson, surgery the week of Feb 5th
    16. LuLu (Piper) (actually Linda #3), Port 2/12, chemo 2/22
    17. Kay (KayBeeson) Port on 2/5, chemo 2/13 12 weeks taxol, then FAC
    18. Terry (talbrig13), Altoona, PA Muga MOnday 2/7, chemo 2/9
    19. ? (Sheryl49) Chemo 2/7 4XAC (3 weeks)
    19. Jan (Wildabouthorses) Claremont, OK 4XAC (3 weeks), 4XT (3 weeks)
    20. Nancy (Nancy0531) chemo 2/8 4XAC (2 weeks), 3XT (2 weeks)
    21. ? (Joey85) Boston, MA chemo 2/9 4XAC (2 weeks), 12 weeks of taxol, 1 year heceptin
    22. Sharon (Misspell) chemo 2/19 or 2/22
    23. ? (KimberlyC) Ventura County, CA chemo 2/20 ACIV dose dense X4, taxol X4
    24. Julie for Mom (jch) chemo 2/6 AC
    25. Tracy (madoline) Texas chemo 2/8 ACX4
    26. Scott and Theresa (lightphoto) chemo feb
  • linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Jel,
    Welcome to our group! There are a great group of women here to share with. How has your first treatment gone?
    I'm on Day 4 and, for the most part, I feel pretty good. I went to work today for a half day but my stomach was feeling a little upset so I left early. Just didn't want to be caught off guard. It was probably due more to starting my period than the drugs.

Marsha, glad you found some good stuff at ACS! I was surprised at how much was available when I stopped in there. I hope we get to see a pic of your new short hairdo when you have time. My plan right now is to have my sister's hairdresser over the end of next week to get mine buzzed/shaved me. I stopped the xanax a while back but saved one just for the occasion.
  • marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options

Linnie, I stopped the xanax too but do still have a few sitting in the bottle. I know this is absurb to do but I am trying to convince myself I am going to be the ONE who doesn't lose their hair. No mind you, I have 3 wigs lined up and hats/scarves but am still doing the power of positive thinking thingy. AS SOON as I see some falling I am calling my buddies over and we are having a shave/cocktail hour. Any excuse for happy hour! I need to get hubby to snap a pix of me NOW and will try to get it uploaded (last time took me awhile to get it up). I think I am feeling like you, pretty good actually ,maybe a tad queasy and wired feeling. Kinda like drinking too much coffee on an empty stomach? Anyway, glad you are feeling OK talk to you soon,,,Marsha

• wildabouthorses
    edited February 2007
    Options

That muga scan was a breeze! I had a very nice lady tell me what to exspect next as we went. Gave me a little more confidence about starting chemo on the 15th. A couple of ladies who drive their own bikes just like our bike surprized me via USPS mail. One sent me a pink horse necklace and earrings set and the other made me some cute hats to wear. I met one of them during a bike trip to Ohio where they make our type bikes and the other lady I met during our Colorado bike trip. She had an accident with her bike in one of the curves in the mountains and walked away with bruises and scrapes. The bike didn't fair as well as it was no longer ridable. She went through a scare with cancer with her pap smears recently but turned out to be a false alarm.

• swimmingmom
    swimmingmom Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Jen,
    I had micromets in the sentinel node and one other. I specifically asked my surgeon why she did not do additional node removal. She told me that none were enlarged, only those showed up on the MRI and the morbidity with removing more would outweigh the benefit. She stated that the chemo therapy is specifically being given for that reason-to eliminate any further microscopic cells in any other nodes. That is all I know. It was a little scary for me to read the posts where people had so many nodes removed and went back for ANDs. I trust my surgeon. I am going for my second opinion in two weeks and will ask them about it there. Karen
  • CommandoBarbie
    CommandoBarbie Member Posts: 474
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Just got off the phone with the Doc. CT scans were great, nothing else to worry about. I've never been so relieved in my life;) Once I'm thru the MUGA, we are good to go. I totally feel like I can do this now! Feburary's gonna be a bad month for b/c. We will all kick some serious cancer ass!

Carynn
  • marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options

Carynn, you go girl, you are absolutely right, we are gonna kick some ass. So glad your scans were clear. WooHoo! Marsha

• hockeymomfl
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Marsha, Linnie,
    Thanks for the list of BC sisters.
    My first tx, they slowed down the Cytoxin as it was causing a burning sensation in my nose. Was ok after that. I had a reaction to the Taxotere within the first few mins. Got a red rush from my neck to my face and my breathing was affected. But only briefly, they fixed that with more steriods, benadryl and saline and I was fine after that.
    Day 1 and 2 were great.
    Day 2 got Neulasta shot.
    Day 3 felt nausea and very tired, but that was partly my fault for not taking the nausea meds as told, plus I think compazine and I don't mix. Zofran worked great.
    After that intermittent aches, runny nose etc for the week.... But as of today I feel good.
    Had a visit with my onc nurse during the week and my counts were high, which is good.
    Hoping like you, to keep well and walk when I can to keep on the move.
    Thanks for your warm welcome.
    Jel.
  • Primel
    Primel Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Jel, welcome to the list and thank you for letting us know about he aftermath of your first treatment, this helps a lot, very encouraging. Like you, I hope I'll be up to keep the routine with walking my dog everyday for as long as I can take it, and maybe some biking around Washington Park (Denver) which has great bike lanes, safe and providing a great workout. I have the understanding that the more you move (and drink) the less poisoned you feel, and good for your mental state, too.
    Marsha, so pleased by your news, do you exercise? Thank you for the drinking info (I never drank a soda or a coke, let alone gatorade in my whole life... may give gatorade a try...) I saw a physical therapist today to get better orientation about how much exercise is enough or too much as far as stretching goes (to avoid lymphedema, among other things), i liked her a lot, and she gave me more exercises to do. She also explained how to gently massage the scars to keep them elastic (once 100% healed, of course... which is my case 4 weeks after surgery). I am planning to go see her during the "good week", in between treatments.

Well, time to go fix dinner (the cancer center gave us a great cook book for cancer patients, very well done, following each phase of chemo, so you get the right foods at the right time),
    Hugs to all and a nice evening filled with serenity.
    CatherineH
  • southtx
    southtx Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello to everyone,
    Number 1 chemo under my belt. Like Pat, I had nausea about 4 hours after transfusion. It took about 30 min for A to go in and about same for C, maybe longer. They gave me IV Zofran and Emend prior to transfusion. Felt great throughout chemo, but after getting home, felt nauseated all evening. I got better before I went to bed and slept well. My daughters are both here to help and are very grateful they came. Initially I didn't really think I needed them, but it's been wonderful having them here.
    My mediport worked like a charm, thank God. I was worried about that. Nurses were really good too.
    I don't think I drank enough water last evening, but trying to catch up today.
    Started on iron pills today too. My hgb was low at 10.
    I was on my period though which has been super heavy, so I'm sure my blood count will be up next check.
    Hope everyone else is doing well.
    Huggs to all, Tracy
  • maclean
    maclean Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello all. I'm new here. I had my first chemo on February 1st--next one is the 22nd. I had a bilateral mastectomy on December 19th (what a wonderful way to enjoy the season) and I have Stage III invasive ductal breast cancer.

I just recently survived thyroid cancer and have a weakened heart due to the long time I was extremely hyperthyroid, so my oncologist has some concerns about that. Taxotere and cytoxan are my chemo drugs. First one wasn't too bad. I got the standard anti-naseau, antibiotics first and then the 3 hours of Taxotere. First day--got the red rash on face, chest, neck and diarrhea. I took my meds, though--so only had that one day.Went to get the Neulesta shot the morning after the chemo--from that, combined with the steroid pills for three days and the fact my doctor has upped my synthroid in order to make my TSH lower for chemo--made me EXTREMELY hyper for three days. It was thyroid cancer all over again. Very high blood pressure and pulse rate averaged 100. After 3 days, that was okay, but the excruciating bone pain from the Neulesta started. That lasted 3 days and was worse than anything I have ever experienced. The pain was so bad it would have me sobbing and jumping from the bed. The horrible taste in my mouth started on the 4th day--making it difficult for me to eat anything--my smell and taste is so affected that I couldn't even stand my own mother's bad breath for fear I'd throw up. The 5th day, I got sores, of all places, all along my butt crack down to my vagina and had to go see the doctor about that one! He said it was from the Taxotere and looked like what most people get in their mouth. Great. Had a fever over 100 for 3 days. Got anitbiotics for that. On the 6th day, I got the sores in my mouth and I am at this moment contemplating how I am going to eat for the next six months.

This is the 7th day after my first chemo. I'm here. I'm fighting--but, surely, by the end of this--I will be a bloated fat woman with no hair, no boobs, and herpes looking sores all over her mouth. Won't my husband be so glad he's here?

Having a bad moment --as you can tell-- it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't JUST gone through two years of hell with thyroid cancer.

Next chemo is the 22nd. I hope I get some good days in between.

Lynn
  • tampachick
    tampachick Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and will be starting chemo next thurs 2/15. I am 33, had a lumpectomy last week, IDC, triple negative, nodes clear. Just wanted to say hello to you all, it's been great reading everyone's posts. I will be taking 4 treatments of A/C followed by 6 weeks of radiation. I am concerned the most about nausea - did you guys take the meds before your chemo sessions? I think I may do this, I hear to take them before you start to feel queasy. I look forward to getting to you know you all!
    Thanks! Steph
  • NarberthMom
    NarberthMom Member Posts: 382
    edited February 2007
    Options
    CatherineH --

Is there any way to get a hold of that cook book? Does your cancer center sell them?

Thanks ...

-- Hillary