Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting Chemo in Feb?

Options

Comments

• linnieva
    linnieva Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Julie, you and your mom should definitely join our group. I also had my first infusion today. So far... so good. How's your mom feeling?
    Linnie
  • Primel
    Primel Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Kim, so sorry to read that you had a rough time after your treatment. Did they give you drugs with your IV to help avoid the nausea or not?
    You are right, all we hear about on TV is breast cancer, but this is also with news of breakthroughs (a new test just out for evaluating risk of reccurrence in early stage BC patients). I wonder what people with other types of cancers think, since it is all about BC... seems to me.
    I wish you to recover fast from this first assault on your system, and that the rest will be less taxing. Don't get discouraged... already 25% done with the worst part of the treatment. We are here for you...
    Hugs, CatherineH
  • Primel
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi, Marsha... wishing you (and chemo cruisers sailing through tomorrow) to have some good sleep tonight (we drink linden tea, in France, to sleep better, and they say lettuce salad helps, too -- Boston lettuce type). I hope you'll come back feeling so "unaffected" that you'll feel like posting for us... Laughing your way through it is definitely the way to go (what's the alternative, anyway?). Do you work on your own as a realtor or with a company? Can you organize your time the way you want and work from home? We are many here blessed with wonderful husbands, and I want to pay them tribute, they are instrumental in keeping our spirits high; mine thinks that this site is a life savior, knitting a strong fabric of compassion and understanding, and building friendships that will not have been possible otherwise...
    Hugs,

Catherine
  • horsegal
    horsegal Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2007
    Options
    sheryl -

welcome to the group! Yes, everyone here IS amazing, and now that includes you as well! I am having the same treatments as you - 4 tx AC, every 3 weeks , then radiation, and I will also be doing hormone therapy.

Sorry to hear you have to join us, but glad you found us!!

Jen
  • horsegal
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello all! Just checking in - Yes, I had my 1st AC tx today - first thing this morning. I also tossed and turned a bit last night and was UP at 4am - unable to go back to sleep, so I went downstairs and starting cleaning/laundry! (Hubby probably appreciated that one!)

I will admit, it went better than I expected. I do not have a port, so had one stick in vein - they took my blood, then used same "port" to give meds - that was actually easy.

I also got Emend 1 hr prior to infusion; then got Denecote and Benedryl and Zofron.

I am not really nauseous, but yes - headache and that is making me feel icky! Heartburn too. May see if they can run it slower next time - I even asked too about slower drip not to have headaches! ugh! We'll see how tomorrow goes!

Good luck to everyone -

Jen
  • talbrig13
    talbrig13 Member Posts: 358
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi, girls...feeling better this evening. Having my muga scan tomorrow. Then on to chemo on Thursday. I must say I never thought I would "look forward" to such a thing, but I will be glad to get on with it. I was dx on 12/8 and it seems like the waiting never ends. Plan to take the nausea meds no matter what.
    Erinsgram....where are you in Central PA? I am in the Altoona area.
    Hope everyone is staying warm and keeping chins up.
    Love,
  • KimberlyC
    KimberlyC Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2007
    Options

Hello ladies! I found out today that I will start chemo on 2/20. It all seems so everwhelming. Blood test Mon, Chemo Tues, Neulasta on Wed (this is $6000 a pop-thank God for insurance). Then when she went through the side effects I thought my husband would die right there! I have been looking for info on what kind of chemo everyone is getting. She called it ACIV Dose Dense X 4, Taxol X 4. I can't find ACIV. I am triple neg, 2/15 nodes, grade 3, 3+ cm.

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have a Neulasta question since there's been so much talk about it and how much it costs. I have health insurance but my outpatient prescription coverage only pays $500 for the year. Does anyone know if Neulasta is considered an outpatient prescription because I won't be able to afford it if it is. My stomach is now in knots from trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for all the meds everyone is talking about, not to mention hormone therapy later.

Cynthia
  • jch
    jch Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Mom is doing pretty well after her first AC today. Ate lunch, took a long nap, and woke up feeling icky. She thinks it is because she didn't get the Emend an hour before, it was more like 10-15 minutes. That won't happen next time. She took a compazine and drank some ginger ale and feels better. Has the Neulasta shot tomorrow. 1/8th done!
    Hang in there all....
    Julie
  • MAJ01
    MAJ01 Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I had the port placement yesterday and quite honestly this is more painful then I was told. The oncologist touched it today and I thought I was going to go through the roof.
    I read the updates from others that had theirs put in...so I'm looking forward to a better day tomorrow.

I'm having my Muga scan tomorrow. This might be routine, as I also have a heart murmur and MVP.
  • southtx
    southtx Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sounds like a great group here. I start A/C X 4 treatments on 2/8. Had my mediport placed last Tuesday. A little sore, but looks ok.
    Diag. at Thanksgiving, had left mast with immed. tram pedicle flap Dec 12, '06, "Merry Christmas". Got big seroma in breast and had to have the thing reopened and repaired, but it's finally healing.
    It's such a help to hear how others are handling things, and what to expect. I'm 49 years old, so they recommend chemo, even though clear nodes. I'm freaking about the hair loss, but have 1 wig and scarves. I'm a nurse, so I got some of those little "pieces" of hair to velcro into a scrub cap and will probably wear that to work. Thanks to everyone for being so open about their treatments, it helps us all so much. I'm in Texas, any other Texans?
    Tracy
  • wildabouthorses
    wildabouthorses Member Posts: 458
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the Emend reports and first dosage reports! Hang in there gals! I have to share this as I think its quite funny. Our youngest is leaving for marine boot camp Sunday and he sent me this picture. I wish I had one to wear to chemo!
  • MAJ01
    MAJ01 Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm back!! I haven't quite got this posting stuff down.

The dr decided to start chemo on the 8th. I was originally scheduled on the 9th. I was also given a prescription for Emend for Nausea. I wanted more "cocktails" but he assured me this would probably be all I need. Aren't you girls getting more then one anti-nausea drug? I have a very sensitive stomach as it is. I'm a one glass of wine girl, two - I have a headache and if I dare drink anymore - I'm sick for three days. I threw up all day yesterday just having the port placement. What do you think?

Jen, Leah, Kim, Julies Mom, - how are you all doing tonight?

I went to the Look Good Feel Good class tonight.
    If you have not gone, I encourage you too. Lots of
    free makeup, hats and wigs if you want them.

Take care - and thinking of each of you
    Melody
  • wildabouthorses
    wildabouthorses Member Posts: 458
    edited February 2007
    Options

melody I have the Emend and a generic Prochlorper to use for nausea. Was told to take the Proc after the Emend is done even if I just feel a little "queesy".

• horsegal
    edited February 2007
    Options
    melody -

My 1st tx went fine - so much easier (physically!) than I thought it would be! Emotionally, it was a bit tougher, but I certainly did not sit there and cry! I actually fell asleep! (poor Hubby - think he wanted to sleep too!)

They gave me Emend one hour before chemo, then I think 1/2hr later, they gave me Bendryl, Ativan, Zofrol, and Dexamethasone (I think that's all!)

They literally guaranteed me that I would not throw up! Although I was a bit woozy, I didn't! I think I actually drank TOO much fluids - I felt sooo full and uncomfortable - but not sick. But went "potty" about 5 times last night!!!! And this morning - I feel almost completely normal!!!!! If only it was really this easy - I already took all the nausea meds that I am supposed to - for the next three days. I was told even though you feel like you don't need them - TAKE them - you will be sorry if you don't! SO I listened!

I am also calling today to register for the Look Good, Feel Better class - so many have told me it's sooo worth it. The only makeup I wear is mascara - so will need to find out how to PAINT on eyebrows at least!

More later - thank you all so much for being here and allowing me to join the "cruise"! It has helped so much to have a place to go!

Hugs to all! Jen
  • ErinsGram
    ErinsGram Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Linnie, Julie's Mom, Kim (NY Nurse), Jen (anyone else I missed) - hope you're all feeling good today.

Terry - I'm in Loganton (exit 185 off I-80) - about 40 miles east of State College. Glad you're here.

KimC - the ACIV may be an IV of AC.

Cynthia - are you sure $500 is a cap - I have to pay copays (on a tiered level - {anywhere from $5 - $30} - based on generic or premium drugs) up to $1,000 then my drugs are covered 100%. I can't imagine they're putting a $500 cap - that's basically nothing in cancer treatment were antinausea meds can be over $100 per pill.

Jan - I love the tshirt. My son was a Marine for 8 years (got out in October) - I'd love to have one of those. I dearly hope you and hubby are back on the road soon.

Marsha - nope, no biking now. Good luck today, keep us posted and keep smilin'.

Off to work again!
  • linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome to the Feb chemo cruisers group, Kimberly and Julie!

Good luck to all our ladies who are starting today.

Cynthia, have you asked your onc to check with your insurance co about the Neulasta shot to see if it's covered? If it doesn't work out, maybe you can go on Neupogen shots. I start doing mine tomorrow. My dr prefers them because she feels like she can control the dose since it's every day for 10 days (at least for me). I don't know if you have a tier-style ins plan but mine was $50 for 2 full rounds of A/T. Good luck!

Day 2 for me. I took an Ativa last night and slept like a baby. This morning I had Emend and Decadron. I feel fine so far. The Decadron makes you feel kind of wired. No headache, though, but then I'm not prone to them. The nurse yesterday said she was going to give me a slow drip so maybe that has helped.

The thing that is bothering me the most right now is my surgery decisions so I would appreciate and guidance anyone has. Even though I feel that my surgeon was excellent in terms of skill, after reading posts from my fellow cruisers, I realize that there was never a comprehensive review of my situation (at least with me). I don't think anyone ever really looked at both breasts carefully to see what possible future issues could be down the road. I was so freaked out and upset, I just wanting the darn tumor out, and just went with the flow. Now I can see my mistake.
    I'm going to talk to the onc next week and I think what I want is some kind of scan (maybe a full sonogram of both breasts). Is that something that can be done or some other test? Thanks!

Love to you all,
    Linnie
  • linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options

Have we heard from Leah since Sunday? Hope she's doing ok.

• Jogey85
    Jogey85 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi linnieva,

Yes i'm HER2+. I think they are being very aggressive with my treatment because i'm only 27 years old and my mother had breast cancer as well.
  • wayover20
    wayover20 Member Posts: 191
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Quote:

I'm 49 years old, so they recommend chemo, even though clear nodes. I'm freaking about the hair loss, but have 1 wig and scarves. I'm a nurse, so I got some of those little "pieces" of hair to velcro into a scrub cap and will probably wear that to work. Thanks to everyone for being so open about their treatments, it helps us all so much. I'm in Texas, any other Texans? Tracy

Hello Tracy seems we have alot in common. I am from Texas, I'm 49yrs old , start chemo on the 8th, and am also a nurse. My name is Pat, so glad to meet you but sorry it had to be here. Although I'm scared about chemo, I'm ready to "Git er DONE" and whip this disease. I work in an outpatient surgery dept and have been on leave about 4 weeks now. I had a modified radical rt. mastectomy done (I'm a heavy gal and he removed a ton of flesh to get to the mass that was towards the chest wall) and my surgeon had initially said out for 8 weeks and although I physically feel very good now, I'm going to go ahead and get 2 treatments under my belt, lose the hair and adjust to that, then go back.
    Today I'm going around to look for more scarves, munchies and bottled water for tomorrow. Let us know how you do, I'll be thinking of you 'getting yours' as I'm 'getting mine' tomorrow. Dang, I wish it was something else we were getting.
    Pat
  • lightphoto
    lightphoto Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello Friends, Thanks for all of the encouragement that flies around here. We haven't posted for awhile so I will try to do a quick update. My wife Theresa dxd on Dec. 19. Bilateral Mastectomy with tissue expanders January 10, path reads IDC, triple neg, no node involvement,7cm, clear margins.
    Been getting fills regularly. Mediport install yessterday Feb 6. Start the tea party later today. The mediport install has been the most painful procedure in the adventure so far. We have some confusion about exactly what the regimen will be. The list the onc gave us is a little bit diferent than what we have been reading here. I hope to report back here when we have more detailed info.
    God's grace has been wonderful. The peace He has blessed us with during this adventure is great. Also, the encouragement we have experienced here and through our friends and family has been priceless. Also the therapuetic effect of writing in our blog has been good.
    Thanks again for all your prayers and encouragement.
    Scott and Theresa
  • irelandmb
    irelandmb Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    Just visiting from the Jan06 group. Glad to see you also have a great group here.
    I am currently doing 4 rounds of TC. If you have any quesions let me know.
    Just wanted to let you all know that it is doable. Keep your positive spirit and great group and you will do great.
  • NarberthMom
    NarberthMom Member Posts: 382
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Folks!

Feeling a little better so I decided to update the list. I figure that Marsha is probably busy dealing with her chemo today! Folks should feel free to update the list and send it back out.

Good luck to all my fellow cruisers who are starting this week!

-- Hillary

1. Karen (sween) Ohio, Chemo start 2/15, port 2/15
    2. Hillary (narberthmom), Southeastern PA, chemo 2/13 4XAC (2 weeks), 4X T (2 weeks)
    3. Marsha (marshakb), Florida, chemo 2/7
    4. Melody (maj01), Texas, 2/5 port, 2/9 chemo 4XAC
    5. Phyllis (erinsgram), Central PA, 2/12 4XAC (2 weeks), 4XP (2 weeks)
    6. Cynthia (cynthis1962), California, 2/16 - surgery, AND, port
    7. Linnie was Linda #1(linnieva), Virginia, 2/6 chemo 4XAC (2 weeks), 4XT (weeks), herceptin?
    8. Pat (wayover20), texax, chemo 2/8, big birthday on 2/11 and need for hugs!
    9. Catherine (catherineH), Colorado, chemo 2/13
    10. Leah (leahrc), Massachusetts, bx on 1/29, chemo on 2/1 our first to start us off, + thoughts! surgery in March
    11. Linda (LindaSuzy), Seattle, 1/29 surgery, chemo late Feb
    12 Kim (nynurse), NY, start 2/1 also our first of the group, + thoughts
    13. Mary (Reggio113) South Jersey, Port 2/5 chemo 2/14 (Happy Valentines)
    14. Jen (HorsegaL, Ohio, chemo 2/6 - 4XAC (3 weeks)
    15. laronson, surgery the week of Feb 5th
    16. LuLu (Piper) (actually Linda #3), Port 2/12, chemo 2/22
    17. Kay (KayBeeson) Port on 2/5, chemo 2/13 12 weeks taxol, then FAC
    18. Terry (talbrig13), Altoona, PA Muga MOnday 2/7, chemo 2/9
    19. ? (Sheryl49) Chemo 2/7 4XAC (3 weeks)
    19. Jan (Wildabouthorses) Claremont, OK 4XAC (3 weeks), 4XT (3 weeks)
    20. Nancy (Nancy0531) chemo 2/8 4XAC (2 weeks), 3XT (2 weeks)
    21. ? (Joey85) Boston, MA chemo 2/9 4XAC (2 weeks), 12 weeks of taxol, 1 year heceptin
    22. Sharon (Misspell) chemo 2/19 or 2/22
    23. ? (KimberlyC) Ventura County, CA chemo 2/20 ACIV dose dense X4, taxol X4
    24. Julie for Mom (jch) chemo 2/6 AC
    25. Tracy (madoline) Texas chemo 2/8 ACX4
    26. Scott and Theresa (lightphoto) chemo feb
  • linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Jogey85 - 27 yo is so young to have to deal with this awful bc. We'll support you through this and get it done together. My mother also had bc back when there weren't the options they have now. So I feel lucky to have the tests and treatments that are now available.

We can do this!

Linnie
  • Primel
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Jen, thank you for this very encouraging report... i have a 'chemo teaching' with a nurse on Friday, I will make sure I have all these tips with me to prepare for Tuesday the 13th...
    Enjoy your day...
    Wishing smooth sailing to all of you going through the rough stuff today...
    CatherineH
  • Primel
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi "Scott and Theresa"... good luck with the tea party... I was dx on Dec. 19th, too, IDC, 1.7x1.2 tumor, 2 nodes+/11, grade 3, Er+/Pr+, TIIa, also had a bilateral mast on Jan 10th... still quite sore, but takes no serious painkiller (advil or tylenol at bedtime). I chose not to have reconstruction so I do not have expanders. How do you feel Theresa as far as the post bilateral pain is concerned? I add axillary dissection and that's where the stretching is difficult, very sensitive on the top of my chest still... kept the drains 15 full days (long forgotten now) and did not build too much fluid, seems to resorb by itself.
    I had the port placed in my left arm yesterday the 6th, too... pretty sorethis morning and a big bruise...

We were quite a few undergoing bilat mast on the 10th of Jan... I'd like to hear from all of you...
    Hugs,

CatherineH
  • southtx
    southtx Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Pat(wayover20), sorry you have to be here, but with all of us together we'll get it done.
    I see we have close birthdays, mine is 2/24. Working on getting in the right 'frame of mind' for the big 5-0. I'm in Corpus Christi, down here on the gulf coast.
    My 2 daughters 26 and 23 y/o wanted to be with me for my first treatment. That'll for sure buck me up, can't look like a sissy in front of your kids...lol
    Hugs to everyone here, and I'll let you know how the A/C goes.
    I have a mediport since last Tuesday. Its still a little sore, just hope it works like it should..
    Pat, you'll be in my thoughts tomorrow.
    Later, Tracy
  • linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Hillary, thanks for the updated list! Glad your feeling better.

Welcome to our Feb group, Scott and Theresa! I hope your tea party went well today.

Today is Day 2 and I don't really have any side effects to speak of. I took my medicine this morning (Emend and Decadron) and then took a Compazine around 2:00 just in case. I keep waiting for something but so far so good. I hope this keeps up.

Linnie
  • swimmingmom
    swimmingmom Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Linnie
    Have you had an MRI? An MRI might give you the answers you need. But I will tell you they are no fun. Face down, holes for your boobs, and in a tube. Remind us again are you having chemo to shrink the tumor prior to surgery, lumpectomy? Sorry I can't remember. If you are that scared I would recommend two things first don't wait until next week, talk with your dr right away and express your concerns. If s/he is any good they will explain their rationale to you again. Sometimes when we are stressed we don't hear everything. Second, if it is still bothering you go for a second opinion. No good dr should feel slighted by that. It is very common. I told my dr that I would be seeking a second opinion and he totally supported it and helped me set up the apt. I am sorry you are having those concerns while starting chemo-no additional stress is needed!! Let us know.

I have had that darn seroma drained four times now. Hopefully no more.

Work is going well. I can't believe how many nurses are on the boards. Also, am surprised at how many people stop me and tell me they had breast cancer too and are survivors. I had no idea they had bc.

Kimc IV may be intravenous, through the vein, no sure.

Based on everyones suggestion i will look into a LGFG class, thanks.

Still getting the port 2/14-Happy Valentines with chemo the morning of 2/15. God bless my 78 yr old dad who is flying in to be with me the first time.

Had a snow storm (OK for Cincinnati that was 4 inches!) that grid locked the city and I got to spend the night at work. What would they do if it REALLY snowed, ha ha

Take care,
    Karen
  • leahrc
    leahrc Member Posts: 384
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Oh, Kim, I am so sorry. I think you are right about the unresolved emotions and how they manifest themselves.
    So you need to call your nurse right away and tell him.her what kind of weekend you had so that they can think through some other options. Don't know if you feel like working on the emotions with others at the same time, but we will help as much as we can and there are people to yell at- I mean, talk to, about the unfairness of this all.
    Love and HUGS.