Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin

Options

Comments

• lwy
    lwy Member Posts: 116
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Carol,
    I would definately mention it to your doctor, but if it makes you feel any better, I had something like that after my second round. My left breast became very tender, which is the breast that I had the lumpectomy. Then the day after chemo I woke up with a stiff neck, worse than just sleeping on it the wrong way. it didn't go away for a week. have no idea what it was but I never had it again. the breast soreness also went away. They say that every round should be the same, but I have to say that every round something different seems to happen to me!
    Leslie
  • katymom
    katymom Member Posts: 73
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Leslie:

The 5th treatment was going fine until yesterday--day5.....extreme gastric problems. I'm actually eating much less this time. At least there is only one more. I've had vision problems, too. Mainly jerking of my eyes--figured it was just neuropathy. The oncologist said don't change glasses perscriptions because my eyes will change after the chemo. Did yours tell you this? I can really tell my vision isn't what it was before chemo! Hopefully, I'll be better tomorrow--seems like it usually takes the week to feel semi-normal again!

Katymom
  • katymom
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Sorry you had to join us, but this group is so helpful. I've had 5 treatments and my biggest problem is always gastric. I take prilosec the week before and a week after chemo until is subsides. I seem to live on gas-x, too. Good luck with everything.

Katymom
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I went to see the opthalmologist and she said that she can't explain what was causing the flashes of light I was seeing. oh well, I would rather it be that than actually something bad.
    another week until my last chemo! can't wait.
    Leslie
  • FunintheSun777
    FunintheSun777 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi IWY:
    New to the discussion board and noticed my diagnosis is almost exactly the same as yours:
    IDC 2.5cm, node negative, stage IIA, grade 3, ER/PR +, Her 2+ Just finished round 2 of 6 cycles in July 2007 - are you totally done? I will go 33 days of radiation, then Herceptin injections every 3 weeks for 1 year, along with daily Tamoxifen for 5 years. Is that your regimen too? Hope you are doing well. My biggest side effects have been goofed up taste buds and kind of sleepy for 4 days following each treatment. Write back!! Thanks - FunintheSun777
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Funinthesun,
    welcome to the boards! I have one more round of chemo to go, August 20th is my last day. Then I will have radiation (haven't met with the rad/onc so not certain who many days, although I suspect it will be similar to yours. Also will do herceptin every 3 weeks for a total of a year. As far as the hormone therapy, I'm on zoladex right now to shut down my ovaries. My oncologist said she will check my estrogen levels and if I"m in menopause fromt the zoladex, she will try an aromatase inhibitor, such as arimedex instead of tamoxifen. She said there is data in postmenopausal woman that doing an aromatase inhibitor is slightly better than tamoxifen, but in premenopausal women like me (i'm only 30) it is less clear what to do. So she gave me the choice of what to do, so I chose the zoladex with aromatase inhibitor. I don't think you can go wrong with the tamoxifen too, so it just depends on your situation. I know that in postmenopausal women, they often will do tamoxifen for 2 years and switch to aromatase inhibitor for 5 years, and this has proven to be better than 5 years of tamoxifen alone, this study just came out recently.
    good luck with your chemo. when will you be done? I can not wait to be done!
    Leslie
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    hey ladies,
    just wanted to say hi, sad to see there isn't much traffic on my favorite topic site.
    not much new to report here. hopefully, if all goes well, monday will be my last chemo! Can't wait. I'm afraid to get too excited because I don't want to jinx myself! the closer I get to monday, the more I'm anxiously checking my breasts for lumps. Even though the chemo could have been much worse, I can't imagine going through this again so I'm scared to find something new. Sorry to be such a downer, just don't know who to share this with. My husband doesn't even want to hear about my fears because I think it causes him to worry.thanks for listening (or should I say reading?)
    Leslie
  • katymom
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Leslie:

I am with you on not doing this again! I was so sick last weekend after I went to a birthday party and ate Italian food. Guess my stomach will have to get used to good food again! I'm going to try a really healthy diet to lose about 20 pounds after I'm over the chemo! I'm done on the 23rd! I'll be thinking about you on Monday! Hope all goes well and then we're done with this part! Are you doing herceptin along with your chemo? I have been and will continue the 3 week schedule through a year.....sometime in May....Has your oncologist said what test he/she will do to check your progress and when? Mine said a muga before radiation to see how I'm doing on herceptin. Then at 3 months, bloodwork and tumor markers. At 6 months he'll do a pet scan, chest xray and mammogram...If clear, nothing for a year. Just wondered if yours had said yet?

Also, I am getting splotches on my cheeks....looks like measles....someone said it is a steroid reaction...do you have this? It seems to go away by the time I'm ready for chemo again!

Glad your opthamalogist visit went ok! Did they say when you should have your eyes examined after chemo? My oncologist seemed to think I should wait quite a while unless absolutely necessary since my vision would change.

ONE TO GO!!!!

Katymom
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    HI Katymom,
    my oncologist has been extremely vague about what my survellence regimen will be, I am going to ask for specifics during my last chemo. What I do know is that she doesn't believe in doing PET or Cat scans in node negative patients. I didn't get anything before starting chemo except MRI of my breasts. I think the fellow said I will be getting some sort of breast imaging every 6 months for two years and then yearly. Also will get blood work every 6 months, but not tumor markers, since she believes they are unreliable. My oncologist does not believe in excess labs/tests, which is kind of disturbing to me.
    I will be doing herceptin every 3 weeks until May of next year. I got a MUGA before starting chemo, and will get one before radiation and every 3-4 months until i'm done.
    The eye doctor said to come back in 6 months, and by then any changes due to chemo should have resolved.
    I don't have any splotches on my cheeks. they do get very red when i'm on steroids but then goes away. I broke out in massive pimples, whiteheads, the first couple of rounds of chemo and was told it was due to a reaction to the steroids and taxotere. i also get zits on scalp from the steroids.
    good luck next week, I'll be thinking of you on the 23rd!
    Leslie
  • cinrae123
    cinrae123 Member Posts: 211
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi ladies, Well,,,,,,,i'm 10 days post my 5th chemo and I still feel like shit. Are the last ones worse than the first ones? I am so tired of feeling like this,,,,,,I wish I could just skip my last chemo,,,,,do they ever do that? I just want this to be over with,,,,,,,,,,hate it, hate it, hate it. This better be worth it,,,,,,,,cause I dont think I would go thru this again.
    Hope all you ladies are well.
    Take care, Cindy

Just a little bummed out today, sorry.
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    cindy, I know exactly how you feel. stay strong. it will be worth it, at least you can say you did everything you could to treat the cancer! I am almost 2.5 weeks out from the 5th chemo and I feel like crap. no energy at all. I slept for 12 hours last night. usually by this time in the chemo cycle, I'm feeling great. My oncologist says the effect is cumulative and it is not unusual to feel so tired. hand in there. try to do something fun during the few hours of energy you can find during the day!
    Leslie
  • cinrae123
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi ladies,,,,,,,,,,ok I have a question,,,,,,a few days ago I had a sore in my nose,,,,,of course I thought it was a pimple (bear with me if I get gross), attempted to pop it but to no avail there was nothing there. The next day I woke up and my nose and a spot under my eye was swollen. Called the onc and she told me to see a dr immediately. My primary doctor was out of town and no appts for that day available,,,,,,so went to the urgent care. He did a culture,,,,,,,gave me antiobitics and cream for inside the nose. Welllllllllllll now my nose is huge, both nostrils now, my upper lip is swollen. I look like one of those Whoville people from the movie the Grinch. Dr. thinks its probably staph,,,,,,,,,hope its not something else. Has anyone experienced this? I know we are prone to nose sores,,,,,but good lord,,,,,,,,,to develope into this just compounds things. I have chemo in a week and hope it doesnt postpone it. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this.
    Have a good weekend all
    Cindy
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Cindy,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you have an infection. I have not personally had anything like this, but I have seen it during my residency. I'm so glad you caught it right away. I saw this happen with an 18 year old woman, she was not on chemo, just a regular student who thought she was popping a pimple, and it spread. Is it getting better with the antibiotic, because if it isn't, and it continues to get worse, you should go immediately to the emergency room. I don't want to scare you, just want to stress to you how quickly this stuff can spread. if it doesn't get better, they will have to give you IV antibiotics, and also get ENT to see you to see if the pocket of infection has cleared. community MRSA (methacillin resident staph aureus is becoming more and more common, and is resistent to most antibiotics except vancomycin (which has to be given IV). Once again, i really don't want to scare you. please keep us updated. By the way, have they checked to make sure you are not neutropenic currently?
    Leslie
  • cinrae123
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Leslie,,,,,,,ty for the responce. It doesnt feel like it is getting better. I have been on antiobiotics since Thursday evening,,,,,,,do you think I should see some kind of improvement by now? I've heard about MRSA and know how bad that is,,,,,,,,omg lets hope its not that. The swelling seems the same,,,,,,,the nose, under the eye and the upper lip. I was going to give it till Monday to see if it improves, I need to call the doctor anyway to find out the results of the culture. Dumb question,,,,,,,whats neutropenic?
    Thank you again for responding,,,,,,,I really appreciate it.
    Have a great weekend Leslie,,,,,,,
    Cimdy
  • chumfry
    chumfry Member Posts: 169
    edited August 2007
    Options

Neutropenic is when your white cells are low. Weakens your immune system dramatically. Keep on top of this. I'm worried for you, too.

• katymom
    edited August 2007
    Options
    The 5th one was worse for me in some ways.....I have absolutely no energy! We're almost done....hang in there.

Katymom
  • katymom
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Cindy are you better yet....My eye lids have been swollen this time and i've had pimple like sores on my cheeks and nose but they don't seem to spread....Hopefully, the anibiotics are helping. I'll be thinking of you.

Katymom
  • katymom
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Leslie:

Good luck tomorrow.......YEAH! Last one! Have you had any "chemo brain"? I feel like this time I'm fuzzier along with everything else..... Let me know how tomorrow goes....

Katymom
  • madarin
    madarin Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2007
    Options

Cinrae123, looks like you and i have similar dx's.... I too had IDC (1.7cm) and DCIS (0.7mm) in same breast (rt). Did the mastectomy w/SNB (2 nodes, NEGATIVE). IDC was stage one, grade 3. I Will begin this particular treatment in 2 days... Don't much care about the thought of losing my hair, I've always wondered what kind of G.I. Jane i'd make!

• lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Katymom-thanks for your well wishes! I had my last chemo today. so glad to be done (well, except for the herceptin for the rest of the year, but I don't think it will be so bad). good luck to you this week also!
    Cindy- are you any better? I'm worried for you. when you have time, please let us know how you are doing. i'm sorry I didn't respond to your questions sooner, i went out of town this weekend.
    take care everyone. Even though I'm done, I'm going to stick around this site- I've liked meeting you gals!
    Leslie
  • chemomom
    chemomom Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi ladies, I read thru the older posts and I want to tell you, you were all right on with when to expect my hair to start falling out. I shaved my head this weekend since I was shedding so much (16 days after 1st treatment). My scalp was actually sore that day and I was really starting to lose a lot. Anyway, I shaved it off and must say, I kind of like my new look. Luckily I have a decent-shaped head, I guess! Anyway, it was such a comfort to have an idea of what to expect- so thanks to everyone who shares experiences here. I have 2 more days until my 2nd treatment and I will also be getting BRCA1 & BRCA2 tests that day as well, I think. Everybody hang in there. This is such a roller-coaster ride, I am glad to have a place where people can relate to what I am going thru. Hope your day is as pleasant as it can be... Angie
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options

Angie- good luck with chemo and test results. you will get through it.

I feel like I"m living in a separate world from my friends and family. I've never had so much time to myself before in my life. I miss work, but only slightly because it can be quite isolating to be at home alone since we have no children. Then again, i'm not looking forward to going back to work full time because I can't imagine working 70-80 hours a week again. When are we supposed to get our energy back?
    i'm 2 days out from my last chemo, I'm so grateful to be done with the hard part. I hear that radiation isn't so bad except that it is everyday.
    take care everyone.
    Leslie
  • cinrae123
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Ladies. A huuuuuuuuuge congrats to those of you ladies who are finished,,,,,,,,,,,soo good for you gals. And to those of you who have still more to go and surgeries,,,,,,,,,,hang in there gals,,,,,,,,I am thinking of you. I also have one more chemo and radiation and herceptin to continue with. But we will all be fine (of course today is an ok day and its easy to say that on ok days huh?)
    Got the results of the nose culture back,,,,,,,,and yeah it was MRSA. Got on the right antibiotics so on the way to healing (after 2 trips to the urgent care that is) Swelling has gone done quite a bit, which is one huge relief,,,,,,,,,and (not meaning to get gross) but the draining from the nose and under the lip has stopped also. Besides looking weird with no hair,,,,,,,and having a face that looked like one of those Whoville people from the Grinch,,,,,,,omg I didnt even recognize myself. lol But am looking more like myself every day,,,,,,,ok, minus the hair loss. lol
    Weekend almost here,,,,,,,,,,,so probably wont post again for a few,,,,,,trying to rest as much as possible. My last treatment is supposted to be this Monday,,,,,,,,,,but have to talk to my onc tomorrow to see because of the staph infection, she may want to wait another week. Darn,,,,,,,am looking forward to finishing up soon. But,,,,,,if I have to wait for it to be better on my body, I will..........whats one week right? lol
    Thank you ladies for you concern about my infection,,,,,,it sure speads fast,,,,,so if anyone has this experience,,,,,get to the doctor immediately. The first time I went to the urgent care,,,,,he gave me Bactrim and did a culture, but because the culture takes several days to grow and then the sensitivity after that,,,,,,the bactrim was the best choice at the time. Went back to the urgent care four days later as the infection and swelling was getting worse,,,,since the bactrim wasnt working, he gave me antiobiotics as if he was treating MRSA, and good thing he did, because at that time the sensitivity still wasnt completed yet. He was taking a guess as to what to give me and he guessed right on the nail head. Boy was I grateful.
    Kinda log winded here ladies,,,,,,,sorry bout that,,,,,,once I get to typing my fingers just dont stop sometimes. (like my mouth, my family says I'm a talker, lol)
    So thats about it gals,,,,,,,,,,,,

Have a great weekend,,,,,,,,,
    Cindy
  • chumfry
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Glad you got on the proper meds in good time. That doc was a good guesser!
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    cindy- so relieved to hear that you are okay and that you got on the right medication. You're almost done! Hang in there.
    Leslie
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    CindyMN- I have a question for you. you don't have to answer if it is too personal. I just finished chemo this past week and I was wondering how long, or if you ever, got over the fear of recurrence after your first time? You seem to be so positive and strong and i hope that I can be like you and not live my life in fear that the cancer will come back. thanks for whatever advice you may have.
    Leslie
  • katymom
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Everyone: I just finished by last chemo yesterday....YEAH! I had a reaction to the herceptin--got the shakes and a weird taste in my mouth. I think it was because they ran it in faster to get finished. I'm hoping that's all since they had to give me more benadryl and I need to be able to take it until next May. Anyone else had this problem?

Leslie: How's it going for you? My doctor did the monthly bloodwork today along with a tumor marker...just to let you know. I am supposed to schedule a consult with the radiation oncologist within the next 3-4 weeks, go back to the oncologist with recommendations and for a check-up and his okay to start radiation. Does that sound like what you're up to? It's nice to see the different approaches so we can ask more questions. I'm trying to figure out what to ask the radiation oncologist so if there are any suggestions, please help.
    Cindy: Hope all is well with your infection. Good luck on Monday. Hang in there you're almost done.

This last chemo is ok so far (day 1) hopefully, it will pass quickly....Take care everyone and keep posting!

Katymom
  • lwy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    katymom, sorry to hear that you had a reaction to the herceptin. hopefully it was a one time thing. Even when I asked my oncologist point blank what my follow up was going to be, she was very vague and disinterested! The problem is, and I know it because I've also read the literature, there is no set guidelines for follow up and also, unfortunately, no real benefit in catching the disease if it comes back when you are asymptomatic. I'm not saying I believe that, I'm just saying that that is what the medical literature says and what most oncologist think. I myself, would like to be tested alot. My oncologist is only going to draw labs once every 6 months or so. I meet the radiation oncologist after labor day and who knows when radiation will actually start, but I imagine soon after. I saw my surgeon for follow up last week, I love her! She says I well get mammogram and possibly Ultrasounds of my breasts about 6 weeks after finishing radiation and then probably breast MRI in March of 2008 (which will be 1 year from my last one that I got when I was diagnosed). My oncologist told me I won't be getting tumor markers, because they are not reliable and can go up and down for no reason, but I don't think it is wrong of your doctor to do so. Different oncologists have different opinions on the markers.
    When do you start tamoxifen or other hormone therapy? I am currently on zoladex, which shuts down my ovaries, and I'm going to be starting Femara (which prevents my fat cells from producing estrogen, and believe me, after chemo I have plenty of fat cells!) in about 2 weeks. I have my MUGA and DEXA scan next week.
    Can't believe we are done with chemo, it hasn't totally set in yet because I"m still feeling crappy from the chemo. My hot flashes are always the worst the first week after chemo.
    I have no idea what to ask the radiation oncologist either. I guess I'm just going to ask what the standard protocol is, how many sessions, how many weeks. Also, I'm curious, not that i'm planning on have a recurrence, but if I do, whether I will be able to get radiation again. Also, wondering if there are any limitations similar to while on chemo (like can I go to work, work with sick people etc). If you think of any questions, let me know so I can remember to ask too.
    Leslie
  • chemomom
    chemomom Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hello, ladies! i am 2 days after tx 2 and doing OK so far. Tired... very tired. But OK. And once again my 3 1/2 hour infusion took FOREVER. It was about 6 hrs before I left the infusion center. problems with my port, no chemo orders ready and mixed, just a bundle of fun. Luckily my sister who goes with me is a SAINT and was wonderful to me the whole blasted time. We watched movies. Then I slept & she did who knows what?!?

Anyway, the herceptin has been working like a champ! My 7cm tumor is so small, I wouldn't even know it was there. but then I have big boobies and apparently few skills at self-exams. And my scans of ovary & kidney were clear.

They did finally break it to me that i would be getting herceptin for a year. thanks to everyone for sharing this news here first, or I would have been absolutely devastated to have heard that. I am so glad I found these forums!

As for the headaches, I had one this morning, but I think it was from lack of sleep. My boys were up several times last night. The oldest (almost 5) had his tonsils out on Friday (yes, also my chemo day-- great planning, eh?). So he has been on a lot of liquids-- hence the getting up all the time. unfortunately, i couldn't get back to sleep for a long while. I did pressure my onc for an MRI just for peace of mind, by the way. SO I am pretty sure it will be clear, but at least i will know for sure!!

Congrats to all those finishing up. it must be a relief and then also a worry. You are alll brave and wonderful women to have shared so much of your experience with everyone. I know we can beat this. BREAST CANCER SUCKS!!!
  • chumfry
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Leslie, I think the fear is always with you, but it fades with time. Every time you have a checkup with your onc, it will probably flare up, especially if you have a mammogram. I know some women have kind of a meltdown after they finish treatment, because it makes them feel vulnerable not to be "doing something" to kill cancer cells. I'm triple-neg, so I don't have any other options (like herceptin or tamoxifen) post-chemo. I used to worry about that, but those drugs have side-effects, too.

I think what it really comes down to is making your peace with not being in control of this aspect of your life. Good things and bad things can just fall out of the sky and hit you on the head, and that's an uncomfortable notion to many people.

I wouldn't wish this to happen to anyone even once, much less twice, but I can tell you that it was actually easier the second time around. I didn't get as freaked out over losing my hair, and I knew what side-effect drugs made me feel worse rather than better. I just kind of hunkered down and took care of myself.

My last Taxol/Carbo will be this coming Friday. Once I recover from that one, it will be so nice to just keep feeling better and better week by week. Try not to be impatient with your recovery. Most people say it takes a whole year to feel as good as you did pre-chemo. You may *think* you're all better in six months, but in another six months, you'll really-really feel better. And the healing isn't just physical. Your psyche has to heal, too.

Sorry this was such a long post. I'll PM you my home email if you want to talk more about this.