Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin

Options

Comments

• katymom
    katymom Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2007
    Options

Leslie:  Have you started the femara yet?  Anyone else?  Just wondered what to expect....I should be starting anyday now....had my lupron shot a little over a week ago......

Katymom

• sarahlouise
    sarahlouise Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hi everyone,

After my muga scan came back low I am off herceptin for a month and they have reduced my taxotere dosage aswell, as I was getting tingling in my feet.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Once my heart is o.k again they will continue with Herceptin. 

Sarah

• lwy
    lwy Member Posts: 116
    edited October 2007
    Options

katymom- I started the femara over a month ago. when I first started it, I had severe arthritic type pain in my hands but it went away after a couple of days. I still feel a slight tightness in my hands but it's bareable. also, when i first get up in the morning I feel like I'm 80 years old, all my joints ache and it hurts to walk on my feet at first. but once I get moving, it's not really a problem. I've always had problems with back pain, but now it seems constant. today I forgot to take my femara before going to work and I didn't have any back pain all day! I was starting to worry that it was mets or something, but now I'm convinced it's due to the femara. I can live with it as long as it's not due to mets!!

Sarah- I haven't had problems with my heart, but I belong to another website called youngsurvival.org and many women have had to stop herceptin for a couple of months but most were able to restart so I'm hopeful you will too. I'm told the tingling from taxotere is not uncommon, but I didn't have any problems with it. that's good that they are adjusting the dose because you don't want the tingling to become permanent. hang in there.

cindy- how are you doing? Has the itching on your arms stopped? i've developed itching by my neck, not certain what it's from, but it does not seem to be from the radiation because it is outside of the marks I have to mark the radiation field.

i can't wait to be done with radiation, but I"m worried that once radiation is done and all i have left is the herceptin and femara that all i will have to do is sit back and pray not to get mets. sorry to be so negative, but i've been thinking about that alot lately. how does everyone else deal with the unknown?

Leslie

• cinrae123
    cinrae123 Member Posts: 211
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hey girls,,,,,,,,,,,,,good to hear everyone is doing well.  I am 7 weeks post my last chemo and I also see a tinsy bit of peach fuzz.  Its very sporatic though,,,,,,,,is that typical?  Will the rest fill in?  I'm getting worried.  Traci on another thread something like her bandanas stifling the hair growth..........omg could that be?  Because I never go without my wig in public and a hat when I am just home with the family.  I'd hate to think I would have to go commando to get hair growth.  Is this how the hair grows back,,,,,,,very sporatic?  Mine is half gray and half dark.  Didnt know I had that much gray,  yikes.

On my fifth week of rads.........getting very red and sore under the boob,,,,,,and the entire boob is starting to itch and turn red,,,,,,like a rash.  Oooooooo the joys huh?  I am so glad that we are winding down this journey.  And for those of you that arent done with chemo yet,,,,,,,,,you all hang in there,,,,,,,,,,there is light at the end of the tunnel,,,,,,trust me on that.

Welllllllllllll,,,,,,,,, the itching on my arms comes and goes.  Could it be the new little hairs coming in on the arms?  I dont have a rash that I can see so I doubt it is from the herceptin,,,,,,,because I have been doing herceptin since May with the chemo. Maybe its just nerves or something,,,,,,,,,or I am going crazy.  lol

Take care ladies,,,,,,and if anyone has any input on the hair growth,,,,,,let me know.  I am just so damn impatient.

Cindy

• goodvibes
    goodvibes Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2007
    Options

hi everyone. we are new here. my wife has her 3rd TCH treatment next week. we shaved her hair off after about the 2nd week. it was coming out so we took control and did it! The side effects are as everyone describes. Ok for a couple of day, crappy for a week then slowly getting better, just in time for the next round! Know more about cancer and chemo than we ever wished.

GOOD VIBES!

• cinrae123
    edited October 2007
    Options

Barb and Jim,,,,,,,,,welcome.  I'm glad you made it to this thread.  There is a wealth of info here,,,,,,so keep in touch.  I know what you mean about learning more and more about chemo and cancer.  I have worked in the medical field for a bit and my husband is a registered nurse.  There are things he learned that he didnt know before, sad to say. Crappy way to learn this stuff huh?

Take care all.

Cindy

• chemomom
    chemomom Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Welcome, Barb and Jim.  Sorry you have to join our club.  I think it's awesome for a husband to be here posting.  A strong support system is vital in this fight.  Hope things are going well-- I am a big cheerleader for Herceptin these days.  It has worked wonders for me and hopefully will do the same for your wife.  Take care,   Angie
  • Poppy_Spruce
    Poppy_Spruce Member Posts: 85
    edited October 2007
    Options

I have been watching this thread since my diagnosis in May, but I am a first time poster. Like you, I have been on the TCH-regime and the more I watch the news, the happier I am that I begged my oncologist for an option to AC.

I am five treatments in and I have been a very lucky woman. I have felt tired, but thanks to a lot of prayer (and supplements that my oncologist raises an eyebrow about, but is okay with as long as I avoid estrogen and anything that effects the liver) the only side effects I have had is hair loss and chemo mouth. Both are terrible and uncomfortable, but my blood work is better than before chemo and I have not needed the Neulasta shot.

Having said all that - I cannot wait for 10/31/2007 when I will be done with the nasty chemo. I am not crazy about having to be stuck for a year to get the Herceptin - you would think that a pill form would be on the visible horizon- but it will be nice to know that by the time the chemo wears off and I start to taste food again - I have nothing but recovery ahead of me!

Thanks for sharing on this board - I avoided it at first, but I am finally at the stage in my disease where I can be here and see a light at the end of my tunnel!

• lwy
    edited October 2007
    Options

welcome barb and jim- glad you found this link. hang in there, you are almost halfway through.

Also- welcome Nan. that's so awesome that you are almost done with chemo. you will feel so good after about 3 weeks after your last chemo. I felt sooo normal before starting radiation about 4 weeks after chemo. radiation isn't that bad either, just tiring. I know what you mean about getting to a point where you can post and read about other people's cancer. Today I went to the American Cancer Society Breast cancer walk, thought i could handle it, but for some reason it was almost too emotional for me to be there. I was the only one I could see that was wearing a bandana, perhaps I was one of the few still undergoing treatment that was participating. Also, everyone wearing a "survivor" shirt seems so much older than me (i'm 30) and I started to feel sorry for myself that I had cancer so young. overall, I'm not emotionally ready to identify myself as a "cancer patient" yet.

Leslie

• Poppy_Spruce
    edited October 2007
    Options

I am right there with you Leslie - I am only 33. No family history, just "lucky" I guess. I have never been able to see myself as a cancer patient - mostly because I have not been sick. You think patient and you think sick.

From the time I heard the diagnosis, all I could think was SURVIVOR - I was already a survivor.

• lwy
    edited October 2007
    Options

Nan- have you every been to this website www.youngsurvival.org ? it is for younger women with breast cancer. I belong to their discussion board too. word of warning- there is alot more anxiety on that board that there is on this one. it has good information but also can cause stress when you are not in the right mood.

Leslie

• sarahlouise
    sarahlouise Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hi Nan,

I am also having my last treatment on 10/31/07 I can not wait.  I thought I was young at 42 to have breast cancer until I read about you all on this site, which has helped to keep everything in perspective.

We will have a halloween that we will never forget!

Sarah

• cinrae123
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hi girls,,,,,,,,,,

Yeah Nan and Sarah,,,,,,,,,omg you are gonna be so glad to be done with chemo,,,,,,,,,,,good work gals.  And Leslie is right,,,,,,,,about your 3rd week post last chemo you are gonna feel so much better.  Do either of you have to do radiation too?  I am glad you posted here Nan,,,,,,,its a great help to be able to compare notes with others going thru the same thing,,,,,,,,well it has been for me at least.

Leslie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you done with your radiation?  I had my last entire booby radiation today,,,,then on Tues I go for the simulation for the 6 boosts (which is done on the incision site only).  I'm glad that I am done with the entire booby thing cause my booby has had enough.  Looks like a bad sunburn,,,,,,and the skin broke underneath,,,,,so just using the creams the doctor told me to use, which seems to make it feel better.

Havent seen Barb or Jim here recently,,,,,,,hope all is going well with them.

Still doing the herceptin every 3 weeks till May 2008, but no side effects to that at all.  Thank Goddddddddd for that.  Is anyone else doing the herceptin?

Weekend almost here ladies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Be safe but have fun.

Cindy

• goodvibes
    edited October 2007
    Options

hi gang, Barb had treatment #3 on Wednesday. So far so good. Doc put her on Reglan to help with nausea. Hope it helps since her side efect really dont show up until a few days after chemo. keeping fingers crossed and sending good vibes

• Carolina59
    Carolina59 Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hi all,

Coming out of chemo hell today after 4th tx on 10/18. After #s 2 & 3 being tolerable, this one hit me really hard--could barely get out of bed--and then on Wed. woke with a fever that spiked to 103 by Wed. night. I went to the cancer ctr. early Wed. to get PICC line flushed and hydration (fever was only 100.7 then). All my blood work was fine. It seems that I have "just" a cold and sore throat.

Geez, I thought I was doing all right, but the thought of two more txs like the last one just feels like too much.

Cindy, glad you are almost done with the radiation. Fortunately, I don't have to do it, just the herceptin until Aug. 2008.

Welcome to the newcomers. Barb, hope you're managing #3 okay. Nan, I'm sorry you're here, but hope you get lots of support. It sucks that you're dealing with this at 33. I am 48, but I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who needs me.

Best,

Carolina

• katymom
    katymom Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2007
    Options

Cindy:  I am still doing herceptin until May, too.....you're right it is so good there are no side effects.  I go to have an echocardiagram Monday to be sure my heart is staying strong.

Leslie:  Hang in there!  One of your last posts sounded so down!  It is okay....just think of it as you are much stronger to get through all this since you are young!  Hopefully, you will never have to do it again.  My cousin was in her early 30's when she had it, too.  I feel younger than a lot of people I've met, too (and I'm 50!--a young 50!)  We are almost through.  I have 2 more radiation treatments on the whole breast and 5 boosts.......It ended up being exactly 6 weeks.....how does that compare?  I will be so glad to finish that!  Are you burning much yet?  I am sunburned but no breakthrough yet.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I've had a really bad cold not sure if it is because my immune system is down or what!  Hope you are doing well.

Katymom

• cinrae123
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hi girls,,,,,,,,,,,

Katy,,,,,sounds like we are on the same schedule.  Herceptin till May,,,,,,,and I just finished the entire booby radiation and 6 boosts to go.  I go Tues for the simulation.  I had my echocardiogram done on Monday,,,,,,,and all is good.  Hope your cold goes away,,,,,,,you definately dont need that now huh? 

Carolina,,,,,,,,,I hope your cold gets better also.  Must be that time of year huh?  Not too much longer for you on the chemo.  Good for you.  I remember,,,,,,on my 4th, 5th and 6th ones,,,,,,the side effects got progressively worse.  I remember the doctor saying thats what happens sometimes,,,,,,because its a cummulative effect.  But 3 weeks out of your last chemo,,,,,,,you will be feeling soooooooooooo much better.

And to Nan, Leslie, Sara, Goodvibes and anyone that I havent mentioned (ok, its getting late and I am getting tired......lol)  I hope you are all doing good.  Take care of yourselves,,,,,,,,,,have a great rest of the weekend.

Cindy

• Poppy_Spruce
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hi Cinrae!

It took awhile for me to be ready to come to these boards. Sometimes they are both a curse and a blessing.

Check out my post about my radiation consult on the Radiology page - it did not go well, but I am better now. The doc was out of line and very unprofessional. I still in the dark about what to expect for radiation. What happens - what is this talk I hear of markings, tattoos and boosts?

My eyebrows are getting pretty thin - I hope that I can hold out. I have heard that Revitalash works wonders for eyelashes. It was developed by an MD whose wife had BC - and people who use it have great results. Its pricey ($150!) but I have found it cheaper at ebay. And Billion Dollar Brows has something (cheaper - only $20) that stimulates eyebrow growth.

Won't it be nice to look normal again!

• Poppy_Spruce
    edited October 2007
    Options

Sarah - I will raise a toast to you when I take my pre-chemo meds! I might go celebrate after the treatment!

• cinrae123
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hey ladies.

Nan,,,,,,,,,,well before you actually do the radiation,,,,,,you go for a simulation and thats where and how they mark you and set up their machine so the radiation is given at the same area everytime.  The tatoos are just very small dots they put on your skin around the boob and all so they know each time they are lined up correctly.  At first,,,,,,they do the entire booby between those markings,,,,,,,,and the boosts are (well for me at least) they are 6 radiation treatments that are just directed on the incision site only.  Now my booby (the entire booby) turned red and brown,,,,as if it got a very bad sunburn,,,,,,,,,,and now because I am kinda big chested (a curse most of the time, lol) the skin under and on the side of the boob has broken.  And it stings and hurts like a son of a gun.  I clean like they told me to and use the miaderm,,,,,,,so am hoping it will get better soon.  I think thats why my onc radiologist gave me several days rest before the boosts, in hopes that it will heal up.  It sure better quickly,,,,,,cause even this is getting annoying.  I will go read your post on the radiology site.

Hope everyone else is doing good.

Off to get my nails done,,,,,,,,,have a great day,,,,,,,,

Cindy

• cinrae123
    edited October 2007
    Options

Nan?  where is it on this board that you talked about your radiation consult?  I cant find it,,,,,,whats it titled?  Or am I just blind as a bat?  lol

Cindy

• BackboneForMom
    BackboneForMom Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2007
    Options

Hey everyone I'm here because my mom has been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer with bone metastasis back in feb of "07" well she first was put on femara and took radiation for two weeks then her dr had told her he and his colleage had been disscussing wheather or not she should be put on tomaxifen well it ended up that she was switched along with her oncologist leaving , and she now has his colleage as her dr now , well she stayed on the tomaxifen for about two months and her  new oncologist says that her tumor marker is very high it had jumped from 49 to 149 to 301 and now it is 602 within just about two months time , and that she didnt understand why her dr before had switched her to tomaxifen from femara anyways {keep in mind she is the colleage I had said her oncologist before was discussing switching her and it was supposable her idea more because he seemed very mad that he was changing it but i dont know about that} but all of that to get to this... she has been took back off of femara once againg and now she is finishing radiation again and she starts her first chemo session november 1st !! the dr said she was putting her on herceptin taxotere and one more but im not sure what it was but it started with a c , we were so shocked when she told us all this big bombshell}  But my ? is what side effects is most likely to occur and how long does it usually take for her hair to fall out she is already having dreams about it bless her heart and how long does taking chemo usually last months? years? !!! she is getting all this chemo and her zometa shot every 3 weeks     :[     She has been so tired lately and her ribs are killing her she has a little 8 y/o who likes to beat up on his big sister which is 26 {me} and my mom who is 48 , me and her are standing steadfast and strong that GOD is going to heal her , we have seen the miracles of the lord almighty and we have the faith that GOD will let her live and raise her son my little brother and see her grandkids !! we are not giving up PERIOD we with God's help , the dr.'s medical experience , Are Planning to kick this cancer's butt!!!! BUt if anybody will please reply to my ?'s I would greatly appreciate it!! I'm trying to be my mom's backbone while she is going through this and i just need to know what really to expect cause she already stays so tired and sleeps alot as it is now bless her heart i just dread it so very much , we were praying it wouldn't come to this but i guess there is a purpose for everything that happens to us in this life!! but thanks for listening I have held all this in there is really know one to talk to about this that I know everybody gets so quiet when I bring the subject up!!!

thanks,

misty {BackBoneForMom}

• cinrae123
    edited October 2007
    Options

Welcome Misty,,,,,,I am sorry that you are here,,,,,,,but this discussion board can be a wealth of information.  Everyone sharing their stories and what they are going thru, side effects and just everything,,,,,,,,will be so helpful to you and your mom.  Sometimes even if its not to compare notes on what we are all going thru,,,,,,,,,,,it's also a great place to vent.  Its sort of funny,,,,,,how life and people are,,,,,,but what I found was that people would say things like,,,,,"I know what you are going thru", but in actuality they dont really know because they have never been there themselves.  For me personally,,,,,I have such a great supportive and loving family and friends,,,,,I feel that they have been thru just as much as I have.  After all,,,,,,they are the ones that have had to put up with me for months.  lol

I started chemo in May 2007 and finished the end of Aug. 2007.  I did 6 rounds,,,,,,and my last three I had the worst side effects of all.  Seems as though chemo has a cummulative effect so therefore the side effects are worse towards the end.  All I kept thinking every time,,,,,,when I just felt so shitty (sorry bout the French), was that soon I will have good days ahead,,,,,,that worked for me.  I had the usual,,,,,,,,tired, achey, metallic taste in mouth, nausea, only really vomitted once, teary eyes (which is called dry eye, go figure since they watered all the time), slept a lot, and I did get a bad staph infection (MRSA) in my nose.  After a couple of sessions, she will notice that certain side effects happen at the same times after chemo (at least thats what I noticed) Its just very important that whatever side effects she has,,,,she contact the dr because there is always something that will help her.  Tell her not to be shy about calling the doctor for anything.  I had to take steroids for 1 day before chemo and the day of and the day after,,,,,,so what I had trouble with was sleeping as the steroids tend to keep you hyped up and not able to sleep,  but there is always something to take for sleep too.

I started losing my hair the 3 week after chemo,,,,,so I ended up shaving my head.  It was the one thing I felt I had control of.  Losing my hair was the absolute worst thing for me.........but for me, it was better to shave it than to have it come out in handfuls. I am 7 weeks out of chemo,,,and my hair is just now starting to come back,,,,,although I see lots of scalp still, but it will come back.   Im tired of wearing my wig,,,,I can't wait to have my own hair again.  I am doing radiation right now and have 6 more treatments of that,,,,,,my booby is red, sore and the skin is breaking, but that too shall pass. 

3 weeks after her last chemo she will feel soooooooooo much better.  There is light at the end of the tunnel, trust me on that ok?

If you ever have questions, comments or concerns,,,,,,this is the place to ask.  The gals here are so helpful, its amazing.

Good luck to your mom,,,,,,and just tell her to hang in there,,,,,,,,,,do what the doctors say,,,,,,,,,,and dont be afraid to ask the doctor every question you have.  Thats what they are there for.

Keep us posted on how things are going ok?  What a nice daughter you are for being so concerned about her and joining this board.  I am sure she is eternally grateful to have a daughter like you.

Take care,,,,,,,,

Cindy

• goodvibes
    edited October 2007
    Options

Misty, you really find out who your REAL friends are during times like these. God Bless and good vibes!

• lwy
    edited October 2007
    Options

HI Ladies,

I've been missing lately but thinking of all of you. I'm nearing the end of radiation. only 4 more sessions and I'm done. A former coworker of mine passed away last week from metastatic inflammatory breast cancer. she was only 33. it hit me very hard because even though we weren't close (didn't work in same section at work) when I was diagnosed, she took the time to meet with me and make me feel less anxious about it. she even stopped by my chemo chair when she was getting chemo too. such a caring women, she was a great doctor too (she finished her training in oncology but had to turn down her job because she recurred).

I know that inflammatory breast cancer is much worse, but I was really pulling for her.

Everytime I feel sorry for myself, i just have to remind myself that there is always someone worse off than me.

take care ladies.there are better days to come! Can't wait to be done with radiation.

Leslie

• Carolina59
    Carolina59 Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2007
    Options

Oh, Leslie, I'm so sorry about your former coworker. Not only is it heartbreaking, but it is so scary. This disease is a b*tch, which is an understatement.

Congrats on getting to the end of your radiation. Only 4 more--woohoo! I hope you're feeling well, and again I'm sorry that you're having to deal with the death of a coworker to bc.

xo Carolina

• cinrae123
    edited November 2007
    Options

I'm so sorry Leslie to hear of your coworkers passing.  This damn disease,,,,,,,,,I hate it.  Congrats on the 4 more rads to go.  I had my first boost today and I only have 5 more to go now too.  Are you doing the herceptin for a year?  I will be finished with that in May 08,,,,,,,I cant wait to be alllllllllllll done with everything.

Have a good week girlies.

Cindy

• Poppy_Spruce
    edited November 2007
    Options

Lwy...I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I just learned about IBC last week on the news, and you are right it is quite aggressive. The outlook is not so good. Dear God - she was only 33! I don't even know her and it hits so close to home! Damn cancer.

Sarah...I toasted you with my pre-chemo meds. I was down at first because I still have the year of Herceptin (so the poking continues), but the joy of my LAST CHEMO set in quickly and I really feel like I can see the light at the end of this tunnel. I took my LAST dose of steriods last night, these are the LAST days that my mouth will taste pasty and metallic, my hair and eyebrows will stop falling out! I don't want to sound whiny, especially when I am sure that Lwy's coworker - and countless others - would do anything for the chance for lifesaving chemo - but I can't help but feel joyous to not have to live with the side effects anymore!

Hang in there Carolina and Goodvibes - Cinrae is right..there ARE better days ahead!

• lg123
    lg123 Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2007
    Options

Hi everyone,

Leslie--I'm so sorry to hear about your co-worker. It makes me both angry and sad that we lose so many good people to this disease.

I had my 6th TCH treatment on Oct 18th--2 weeks ago tomorrow.  What a relief to be finished because after treatment 3 I wanted to quit. Hang in there if you are still going through chemo--you can do it.

I didn't feel quite as bad after  6 but the  fatigue was worse. Went back to work on Monday and boy am I glad tomorrow is Friday. 

Had a lung CT this morning to see if those specs in my lungs are still there. If they are still there it's good news because it means they weren't cancer.  I feel strangely detached about it. Right now, nothing can spoil the high of coming out the other side of  chemo.

Radiation is next and it's good to hear that Leslie, Cindy and Kateymom are doing well. Were you able to wear your regular bras? My tumor was right beneath the underwire so I think I might have to look around for something without underwires.

Leslie2

• cinrae123
    edited November 2007
    Options

Nan,,,,,,,,,yeahhhhhhhhh for you,,,,,,,,,your last chemo,,,,,,,,omg its exciting.  I was so thrilled when my last one was here,,,,,,,,,,ok so small things delight me,,,,,,lol   Excellent job Nan.

LG123,,,,,,,,I felt the same way after my third one,,,,,,,,I wanted to just stop.  Then my family and friends gave me the old pep talk,,,,,,,,and I just kept telling myself that the bad days will soon be over and the good days will be here.  It truly helped me in that way of thinking.  About the bras with radiation,,,,,,,,well my onc radiologist suggested to wear cotton bras,,,,no wires,,,,,,and to go braless as much as I could get away with.  I have 4 more boosts to go,,,,,,and my skin broke under the boob and under the arm.  I use the creams I am supposed to but good lord,,,,,,,,it hurts.  Its like a really really bad sunburn,,,,,,then the skin peels and we all know whats underneath that skin,,,,,,,,,new sensitive skin.  I have been using an antiobiotic cream under my boobs cause thats where (hate to sound gross) it oozes.  I had that really bad staph (MRSA) infection a couple of months ago,,,,,and I sure as hell dont want that back,,,,,so I'm using the antiobitic cream,,,,,,,just to be on the safe side.  Other than the burns,,,,,,,,,,,radiation is easy.  Just a pain to go every damn day,,,,,,,,,but wayyyyyyyy better than chemo and its side effects.  You will do just fine.

Have a good rest of the week,,,,,,,,,,,omg what am I saying,,,,,,,tomorrow is Friday already,,,,,,,duhhhh meeeeeeeee. 

Ciao,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cindy