Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I WANT MY MOJO BACK!

Comments

• FitChik
    FitChik Member Posts: 392
    edited July 2009

Hey Robyn...I've never heard that ginkgo had that effect, but since it is supposed to ease circulation, it makes sense. Quite a ways back on this thread, I posted quite a bit of info on L-arginine and how it is supposed to increase one's libido. I even tried it out for awhile, as did several other of our regular posters. There were mixed results, with some claiming a difference and others not.

I hope that the ginkgo works. It is also recommended to improve brain function and memory, so if you have any chemobrain left over, you can "kill 2 birds with one stone"! Tongue out

~Marin

• FitChik
    edited July 2009

Ok, chicas, I know that you know how great sex is, but how about the benefits outlined in this article:

health benefits of sex

Slideshow: 6 Surprising Benefits of Sex

Sex doesn't just feel good; it builds your immune system and can put you in a better mood, too.

By Leah Zerbe

Try to meet between the sheets at least twice a week to build your immune system and fend off other diseases while zapping stress.

RODALE NEWS, EMMAUS, PA-Last week, the World Health Organization declared a swine flu pandemic. Luckily, for now the new H1N1 virus is causing relatively mild symptoms (for the most part), and the majority of people infected recovered without antiviral medications or hospitalization. Still, we're hearing a lot about protecting ourselves from the flu and keeping our immune systems healthy. Does this mean doctors should be prescribing sex? Well, maybe it does. Here are six surprising ways sex can boost your health, perhaps preventing swine flu as well as helping you in other ways.

1. It can boost your immune system. So swine flu's circulating, and you've heard it a million times: Wash your hands often, cover your mouth when you sneeze. But how about this? Kick your immune system into high gear with biweekly sex sessions. Researchers at Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, PA, found that having sex once or twice a week boosts the immune system. They found a 30 percent increase in immunoglobulin A (IgA) proteins in people who had sex once or twice a week, compared to those who didn't have sex. IgA proteins act as antibodies, binding to pathogens when they first enter the body and summoning the immune system to destroy them.
     2. It's a must-have for a man's health. Men who have sex three or more times a week cut their risk of suffering heart attack and stroke in half, according to research out of Queens University in Belfast. Beyond that, having sex regularly may protect men against prostate cancer. A National Cancer Institute survey of 30,000 middle-aged men found that those who averaged 21 ejaculations a month showed a 33 percent lower risk of prostate cancer than those with 4 to 7 ejaculations a month.
     3. It can melt away pain. Ah, the power of orgasm. As it turns out, enjoying the big O also sends a shockwave of oxytocin, known as the love hormone, into your system. This sends an army of endorphins into your system, which can alleviate arthritis pain. Research has also shown sex can lessen the aches associated with menstrual cramps, while also helping to regulate a woman's monthly cycle.
     4. It banishes bad moods. A recent study published in the journal Fertility and Sterility suggests taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants, commonly known as SSRIs, could not only cause sexual dysfunction in men (such as trouble ejaculating), but could also cause genetic damage to their sperm. While medicine can be crucial for the severely depressed, strategies like exercise, and yes, regular sex, have been successfully boosting moods for centuries. That's because sex unleashes a wave of feel-good endorphins that help ward off depressive symptoms.
     5. It can make you look younger and live longer. Research released earlier this decade made big headlines after finding that having sex several times a week on a regular basis can make people look four to seven years younger. Other studies have shown it doesn't just appear to turn back the hands of time, but also can make you live longer. On top of that, it keeps your bod in top-notch shape. The average 30-minute tussle between the sheets burns about 200 calories, all the while chiseling your tummy and backside (or other muscles, depending on your position of choice).
     6. It makes you $100,000 happier. Having sex regularly makes people happier than earning more money. In fact, a study done by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that marriages featuring frequent sex left couples feeling as happy as earning an extra $100,000 annually.

The last one is a little tough, IMO....frequent sex OR $100,000 extra a year   Undecided

~Marin

• rockwell_girl
    rockwell_girl Member Posts: 517
    edited July 2009

no wonder why I feel so good lately ; )

but 100,000 sure would be nice : )

• ktym
    ktym Member Posts: 673
    edited July 2009

Somethings wrong when they're recommending we exercise for our health more frequently each week then they're recommending having sex

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited July 2009

Okay, I agree Marin! Yah! Now, who do I have the sex with???? Cry

I'm the one with the DH with brain tumours....sigh.

Does it work the same if I am a DIY kind of person? Embarassed

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    edited July 2009

Robyn, and FitChik,  I tried the ArginMax for women a few months ago, and it has ginko biloba as one of its ingredients.  I thought there might have been a slight difference, but I really didn't stay on it long enough probably to get the full effect.  I only did 2 wks and it's recommended to do about 4 wks before getting any effect.  I was thinking that in 2 wks I should have started to feel some stirrings of increased sensation, and didn't want to pay more money when I thought it wasn't really working.  And I had spent so much money on creams and gels like Zestra, only to feel that they didn't do much of anything.  But now I wish I had done the full 4 wks on the Arginmax.  I'm also thinking of asking my Onc in a few weeks what he thinks about some testosterone cream because loss of sensation and libido is my biggest problem, not vag dryness.

Please post how the ginko turns out for you as I'm curious. 

• jancie
    jancie Member Posts: 403
    edited July 2009

I figured I would post an update here instead of the "Painful Intercourse TMI" thread that I started last week.

I went to see my PCP today as I don't have a gyno doctor and heck I didn't even have a PCP for the first 10 years I have lived here.

I do not have vaginal atrophy because my issue is deeper inside of me.  He said that I had inflamation at my cervix and so he took some cell samples that he is sending off to the lab.  He doesn't quite know how to treat this problem.  I told him that there are gals that have been dealing with this issue for 5 years and somehow there needs to be a solution as I am not ready to give up on sex with my hubby.  He does believe it is chemo/menopause related (yes...) and he said for me to wait for the test and then schedule an appt with my oncologist.

He didn't see any tears or lesions - just inflamation deep inside of me.

So we are back to the wait and see stage  He did not want to prescribe any estrogen based creams and said that he would really want my oncologist to handle this part which I don't blame him since I am ER/PR positive.

I did tell the nurse after she got out the regular size speculum (?) that I needed a junior size/teenager size and she just smiled and got out a smaller one.  It did hurt when he took the sample as he could definately see the area that was inflamed.  Why it is inflamed I have no clue. 

• FitChik
    edited July 2009

jancie...As much as it feels as though this is a huge problem, it sounds like it might be something more treatable. The fact that your tissue is NOT atrophied and appears normal (except for the inflammation) seems to indicate a possible infection or irritation. Since many women find that their skin dries out during and following chemo, it makes sense that the skin covering one's internal organs can suffer the same fate, especially if the natural lubrication is somewhat inhibited. So, as you await answers from the tests, maybe you should try using some KY jelly (thickly applied!) and inserting (or having your husband insert) about 2 fingers, or a small dildo, in an effort to stimulate the area without pain. To avoid any possible further irritation, I'd suggest you cover the fingers or dildo with a non-latex condom. (Which triggers the thought...is it possible that you have developed a sensitivity to anything that touches the vaginal area, from underwear to your husband? Surprised). Also in the meantime, I'd definitely suggest getting busy in any number of the many ways one can be sexually active & intimate without actual intercourse. Who knows, you might get some really good, healing juices going that way Wink!

Good luck, jancie, and keep us posted!

~Marin

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    edited August 2009

Woo hoo! I have a prescription for Vagifem!!!! My gyn. took a blood sample and wants me back in 3 months to see if my estrogen levels have risen. He asked if my oncologist is on board with my using Vagifem, and I honestly told him that I didn't even ask because I knew the answer would be "no". Thankfully my gyn. understands quality of life issues, and commented that sometimes oncologists just don't get it.

He and I agreed that I should use the Vagifem as a jump start until a good, natural blood flow resumes, then try backing off of it again. I'm so excited!

• rgiuff
    edited August 2009

Good for you Texas!

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2009

Way to go Texas!  Having a mojo element back in you life makes such a difference in EVERYTHING.  I'm so glad you didn't let up until you got what you need.

• Mizsissy2
    Mizsissy2 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2009

Texas...looking forward to your first positive report, we know it'll be a good one!!!
  • Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2009

Hello sisters,

check out the Sept issue of Women's Health magazine.  There is an article "Let your girl in on the action"....It is about your breast and sex. Great article....

It says to focus above the areola...Those nipps always hogging the spotlight but they are not the most sensitive region of the chest.  The flesh directly above the areola is the real star of the show.  Studies show that women feel more pleasureable sensations above the areola.  The article goes on to tell what your partner can do to bring you pleasure in this area.....

If you want me too tell this I will but I do not have time right now...

Great to know there is still hope in the girls....

• hollyann
    hollyann Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2009

SIGH...Linda that would be great but some if not most of us don't have feeling in our breasts.......I know sex isn't the same for me with no feelin gin my foobs..........

• 61linda
    61linda Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2009

I had been lurking on this thread and then lost it for a while so am posting now so the favorite button will work. I do not want to lose it again since I'm not good at finding things using this technology.

I've had issues with post menopausal vag dryness for years that astroglide managed tolerably well but thinning is a relatively recent addition with tearing, pain and bleeding with intercourse. Not fun. My gyn rx'd estring which plumped me up and got my lubrication going. I was back to normal in about three weeks. Six months later bc was dx'd. My onc much preferred I not continue to use it but said Ok if I really really wanted it since only a tiny amount makes it into general circulation if any at all. I am strongly ER and PR + and decided I could live without it. Predictably, the dryness and thinning were back in under a month but since I was still recovering from bmx I didn't miss regular sex too much. Well, now I'm largely recovered and I am ready to resume our normal sex life. The one solution I've found is using astroglide in combination with lots of the cream I've used for vag yeast infections. It's greasy and holds up over time and seems to provide enough protection to the vaginal walls to prevent the tearing, at least long enough until my own lubrication kicks in. It is messy. This is defintiely an area where use it or lose it applies. It can come back but takes some dedication, as hard as that sounds to do. (pun intended) Actually, it does take some work as you all know. It's nice having the estring as a backup.

Even without breasts or nipples, it still feels good when my DH touches my chest. It most certainly does not have the same arousal sensations as before when everything was intact. He said it's not the same feeling for him anymore either since nothing is there except flat skin. I just had to laugh at the posts about bj's. I've never met a guy who turned one down and no one ever complained about the quality, either.

The onc who knew just where to find the adult sex toy store cracked me up. Both the ones I know about are on major thorough fares so I drive past them all the time.

• Linda54
    edited August 2009

hollyann

I have the LD flaps and those are numb but I do have feeling above and below the flaps and at times is very sensitive.  I know, sex is just not the same without the arousal of the nipps.  Just don't think that skin above the areola will get me there.....but think we will give it a try.

So sorry that you have no feeling.  I hope you are doing well....

• Alyad
    Alyad Member Posts: 174
    edited August 2009

Loss of  one nip with my mast has been the biggest mojo issue for me. I am one of those small percentage of women who can't get there without nipple stimulation. And having both touched at the same time was my thing. it was like the whole is greater than the sum of its parts- created an electrical circuit or something. I guess I should be thankful I still  have one left  ,but its not the same. If it wasn't for Mr Big it'd be an exercise in frustration most of the time. I had TRAM recon- no sensation in the foob really.

I think I finally feel my body starting to pull out of chemopause- acutally felt turned on the other day for first time in a long time. I finished chemo two months ago and started rads two weeks ago.

• rgiuff
    edited August 2009

Well, I went off my tamoxifen for 6 weeks just to try to get some Mojo back and to see if the hot flashes would subside.  I had weaker and less frequent flashes, and not a huge difference in the Mojo department, except that I've been having a much easier time at arriving at that big O, like I used to, pre tamoxifen.  The quality is only good if I wait several days in between.  So, I know that the tamox was making the whole experience very difficult to enjoy, and that maybe menopause is what's affecting the quality as related to frequency. 

However, I've restarted taking the tamox again this week, and am so hoping that it doesn't have the same effect again in the Mojo dept. this time around.

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2009

I guess I'm one of the very few lucky ones to have a lot of sensation at my incision sites.  It's like phantom nipples.  It doesn't matter if it's touching or if it's cold temperature, it feels like my nipples get hard even tho there aren't any there.  I'm almost thinking of not getting nips coz I'm afraid I'll lose the feeling that I do have.  Kind of weird for DH but if I can keep the thought that there aren't nipples there out of my head, it's pretty arousing.

• barbe1958
    edited August 2009
    My DH and I were finally coming together in bed last week and I was on top. He automatically reached for my breasts and it was very painful to see the look on his face when he realized what he was doing. This is the first time with me on top since the double mast. We talked about it after; I told him he would have been best to just keep going and touch me.....sigh. Cry
  • hollyann
    edited August 2009

BARBE!,,We have missed you so much!......Especially on the housework thread!....Where ya been dearie?....

• hollyann
    edited August 2009

Yes barbe absolutely.....It took my DH almost a yr and a half to touch my foobs.....And at my insistance........gentle hugs to all in recovery ......

• Linda54
    edited August 2009

alyad, 

I agree, if it were not for Mr Big I would never get the "O"....it has been 16 months since I have had a normal "O"....but Mr Big does a really good job.....I too, need the nipple stimulation to get there.  I just had nipps/grafted areolas recon 2 weeks ago and as soon as they heal I am going to try to use my brain by doing the visual thing.....by looking at my new nipps as my DH does his thing and I am hoping that I may even feel something in the nipps even though it is just in my head.....do you think it will work?  

• barbe1958
    edited August 2009
    Linda, of course it will work! Sex is 90% in our brain and only 10% in our.....well, you know...Embarassed
  • Linda54
    edited August 2009

Thanks Barb and welcome back.....I will let everyone know if it works...

I did not know that it was all in the brain until I found this site.....

• barbe1958
    edited August 2009

...that's why women want soft candlelight, diamonds and furs...new furniture and appliances, uh, you see what I mean...hehehehehehe

• FitChik
    edited August 2009

Hey chicas! Just stopped by to see what y'all are up to and I like it! The issue of sexual arousal being, in large part, psychological for women is a topic dear to my heart. And although I'm a strong promoter of physical aids such as vibes, rings, plugs and other toys, I really DO believe that any sexual experience is vastly enhanced by our emotional and psychological state. It's interesting, too, how men need more than just physical stimulation, but they need only very simple head trips, like assurances that they're turning you on or just the vision of boobs or genitalia, whereas most women (myself included) need an entire environment or scenario to turn us on. Ah, yes, candlelight and fantasy will definitely do the trick!

Keep up the great MOJO-ING, girls!!!

~Marin

• wackyjackie
    wackyjackie Member Posts: 107
    edited August 2009

Is anyone having trouble with their husband not being happy with the way the fake boobs look and feel?  My husband hates them and we're are having a lot of trouble.  I had LD Flap and he says it freaks him out!!!

• rockwell_girl
    rockwell_girl Member Posts: 517
    edited August 2009

wow we want our guys to be honest with us but they don't have to be brutal about it : (

are you happy with the way they turned out...that's all that matters : )

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited August 2009

It may not be only the foobs.  The fact that they are very different, is one thing, as opposed to what they represent: breast cancer and poss. of loosing you.

what if you wore a cami to bed and made love with it on, or , just concentrate on the other zones and discover other things that turn you both on?

My first step would be to talk with your surgeon and discover how often this occurs and what steps he's seen work to help out the SO or husband.

If no satisfaction with that, ck with the local cancer center and ask for counseling person to discuss this and ways to overcome HIS  problem.  That means HE will have some work to do, no just you,  you are fine, he has the problem.